HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Shanahan

Old
10-17-2006, 12:54 AM
MisterUnspoken
Vintage

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to MisterUnspoken
I love him so far. The guy is a rock on offense, defense, penalty kill, power play.... thank you Brendan Shanahan for being a NYR!!

MisterUnspoken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2006, 01:06 AM
CM Lundqvist
Best In The World

Quote:
Originally Posted by Son of Steinbrenner View Post
The guy plays every shift like it's game 7 of the Stanley Cup finals...

He is amazing..

Imagine how could we are going to be once Jagr and Prucha start scoring goals with him..
Great point.

It's scary.

Quote:
Originally Posted by True Blue Bleed Blue View Post
I agree with all of this, and all the little intangibles that he brings, but let's not forget, he's in his late 30's...so re-signing him may not be the greatest idea
I see where you're coming from, but I can't contemplate that right now, not with the way he's playing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post
I just hope he doesn't burn out 3/4 of the way through the season.

If the Rangers get things rolling smoothly, I hope he doesn't get overplayed. I'd like to see him get less time on the PK too...he's actually been pretty good at it, but that'll wear him down as the season goes along
Great point. I think Renney will be smart with it.

Quote:
Opening night after shanny got #600 the guy sitting next to me says to his 9 or 10 year old son "We cheer him because he is American"

Other people heard it and who is going to correct a guy talking to his kid but it was funny..
After Shanny got #600, I blew my voice out, and I'm STILL trying to regain it.

End of story.

There is an INSTANT love affair between the fans and Shanahan. I mean... it's even greater than the one between the fans and Lundqvist last year if you ask me. I've NEVER seen a newcomer have this much of a following right away. It took Messier a while.

How ironic, he scored his first goal against the Rangers, and in his first Ranger/Devil game as a Ranger, he scores. This guy is the man.

CM Lundqvist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2006, 01:10 AM
MrAlfie

Quote:
Opening night after shanny got #600 the guy sitting next to me says to his 9 or 10 year old son "We cheer him because he is American"

Other people heard it and who is going to correct a guy talking to his kid but it was funny..
well hes north american.. lets pretend the guy next to you was referring to that

MrAlfie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2006, 01:22 AM
Draft Guru

Glad we finally got to see him on broadway before he hung them up.

Draft Guru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2006, 01:25 AM
BigE

Quote:
Originally Posted by xander View Post
Isn't Shanahan Canadian? according to hockey db he was born in Mimico Onterio. And I know he's played for team Canada.
Of course he's Canadian. SOS just didn't want to make him look like an *** infront of his kid.

I changed my avatar last night, and I'm still loving it.

Move over Big E...a name change might be next. How about "ShannyShanYouMyMan" next? Eh? What you thinks boys? eh?

BigE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2006, 01:32 AM
Thirty One
portnor, pls

vCash: 420
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrAlfie View Post
well hes north american.. lets pretend the guy next to you was referring to that
well he is an American citizen

Thirty One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2006, 02:06 AM
Olympic nut

Send a message via AIM to 007 Send a message via MSN to 007
Quote:
Originally Posted by -31- View Post
well he is an American citizen
I have a friend who decides what nationality someone is based on what football team they root for in the World Cup. By that logic, Shanny's 100% Canadian.

I am over the moon that this guy is finally a Ranger. Before the season started, I had a bit of a whistful "oh, dear, wouldn't it be great if we had signed him 8 years ago..." feeling, but now I just enjoy watching every time he's on the ice in Ranger blue.

007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2006, 02:16 AM
dank

he had an amazing game tonight.. first hand i saw him dive and throw himself to mess up the Devils plays. Push, shove, hit, score, argue, everything..

at the end, right at the end of his interview with (i think) Al for the 2nd Star, i was right at the top of the gate at MSG not 3 feet away from him and yelled, "New York loves you Brendan!"..

we definitely do.. what a great player..

Shanny!

dank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2006, 03:47 AM
WheresBarnaby

I don't wanna say I told you guy's..... but I did! Awesome, awesome player and will be throughout the season. All of our additions have been great if fact. Ward had a solid night tonight too! Especially that hit against the boards late in the game.

Not the type to toot my own horn but...

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=253965

Last edited by WheresBarnaby: 10-17-2006 at 03:56 AM.
WheresBarnaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2006, 04:01 AM
Ola

Shanny is a huge suprise for me. I saw him in last years WCH, and boy did he have problems keeping up on the big ice. I knew he could shoot, but he is playing well all over the ice.

Ola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2006, 06:26 AM
Kostik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola View Post
Shanny is a huge suprise for me. I saw him in last years WCH, and boy did he have problems keeping up on the big ice. I knew he could shoot, but he is playing well all over the ice.

Same. I saw him on last WCH where he was captain for Canada team, and he didn't play on big ice some extra hockey(Boyes, Bergeron, Crosby owned for Canada).
I saw some interviews with Shanny and saw him play this season, and i have to say i'm really surprised and shocked how great and complete player he is

Kostik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2006, 07:10 AM
Ola

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kostik View Post
Same. I saw him on last WCH where he was captain for Canada team, and he didn't play on big ice some extra hockey(Boyes, Bergeron, Crosby owned for Canada).
I saw some interviews with Shanny and saw him play this season, and i have to say i'm really surprised and shocked how great and complete player he is
Yeah, he had big problems, Shanahan in the WCH looked like Peter Worrel did in the NHL, I am not kidding. Luckily Sather wheren't there to scout him!!!

I knew he where gooing to be good on the PP here, but I never thought he alone would be a factor 5 on 5. He defenitly are a better fit on the smaller ice in the NHL, I am also willing to bet that he worked really hard to be in shape before comming here. Refreshing with old vets comming here and actually beeing better then what where expected from them!

Old
10-17-2006, 07:16 AM
Ola

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheresBarnaby View Post

Thats a great call!

When you think about it, so many great players have ended up here.

Like Eposito, Guy Lafleur, Wayne Gretzky, Pat LaFontain, Luc Robtaille, Pavel Bure and Eric Lindros.

The odds of Crosby ending up here aren't small. The fans should start threating him well already. Only 6 years to go!!!

Who's the next mega star to become a UFA? Forsberg?

07-08:
Prucha-Forsberg-Jagr
Straka-Dubinsky-Shanahan
Korpikoski-Cullen-Moore
Hall-Betts-Ward

Nah just kidding...

Old
10-17-2006, 07:19 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Shanahan is married to the ex-wife of his former Blues teammate Craig Janney

He became an American citizen 1-2 years ago

The Rangers and Shanahan did discuss more than a one year deal but the Rangers didn't want to commit to a two year deal to an over 35 year old player.Shanahan was comfortable with the one year deal.The Rangers can't discuss a new contract with Shanahan until after January 1 but the Rangers don't discuss contracts during the season.It wouldn't be a surprise if the Rangers signed Shanahan to another one year deal next summer.If you saw him play last season,he scored 40 goals for a reason

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2006, 08:34 AM
NYR94

Send a message via AIM to NYR94
He's been excellent so far, and I'm really glad now that we signed him. I must admit that when he was signed over the summer I wasn't too excited because I felt he was getting up there in age. But if he paces himself and doesn't burn out midway through the season, I think he's going to have another terrific year. I just had no idea how genuinely psyched he is about playing in New York. Sure, over the summer he said all the right things about wanting to play in NY but that's what everyone says. But his play on the ice has spoken volumes about his commitment to giving his all to the Rangers, and as a fan you can't help but be pleased by that.

And the reaction by the Garden fans is no surprise to me. They recognize the play of a winner, and Shanahan has 3 Cup rings that prove it. But even with all his credentials, he's playing with the intensity of a rookie who's one bad shift away from being sent down to Hartford. If only some of the Rangers other players could show the same desire to play hard and do what it takes to win.

NYR94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2006, 08:40 AM
Cynical TyranT
Son of a gun

Send a message via AIM to Cynical TyranT
He's kicking arse for my fantasy team, too, lol

Cynical TyranT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2006, 09:36 AM
jas
Unsatisfied

So, of his 7 goals so far, 5 have come against PO teams...kind of spits in the face of the myth that he feasted on the dregs of the Central Division last year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheresBarnaby View Post
I don't wanna say I told you guy's..... but I did! Awesome, awesome player and will be throughout the season. All of our additions have been great if fact. Ward had a solid night tonight too! Especially that hit against the boards late in the game.

Not for nothing, but, there were quite a few of us who very happy to see Shanny get signed this off-season. For the most part, most of us were quite happy seeing him take a one-year deal to play this season. Personally, I expect him to be re-signed in the off-season, since I still expect him to play at a fairly high level, and, i think it is paramount for the youngins like Dubinsky, Moore and Jessiman to feel the impact of Shanny on their development.

jas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2006, 09:43 AM
NJRanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYLine88 View Post
I had to make a thread on him.....this could be one of the best signings we've had in YEARS.

I'm loving his play so much, he putting up great offensive numbers, he's playing just as well at the other end, he also throws the body around which we need a leader to do on the team(since Straka and Jagr dont..not a bash on either of them though, just not their game). I don't know what more you can ask for? I wish we got him 5 years ago just so we could have had him for a bunch of years.

If he keeps up his play at even 75% as much as hes done the first 7 games then I hope Glen jumps on signing him another year (of course again...its very early).

Keep it up Shanny! Your easily becoming quite the fan favorite at the Garden

he's been great so far. i wished there was another shanahan that we could sign so we could play him in the other wing .

NJRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2006, 09:45 AM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJRanger View Post
he's been great so far. i wished there was another shanahan that we could sign so we could play him in the other wing .
Actually, I'd like to see him with a legit #1 center, with Jagr and his mates moving to the 2nd line, Cullen centering a line with Hall as the 3rd line, and the Hollweg-Betts-Ward line being the legit 4th line.

jas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2006, 09:45 AM
BigE

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
He became an American citizen 1-2 years ago
Ask him to choose and see what answer you get.

BigE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2006, 01:42 PM
Edge

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYLine88 View Post
Thats true. But i'd like him to take more draws (maybe take the draw on the PK and get off when he can?). He pretty damn good at them surprisingly even though he isnt a natural center.
Ironically he played center in juniors and has seen action at the position quite a bit (including his days in Hartford).

The problem (if you can call it that) is that he's even better on the wing and going to the net so that's where he plays. But he's surprisingly effective at center as well (similar to Graves).

Edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2006, 01:45 PM
92hatchattack

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJRanger View Post

maybee we can have him cloned????

92hatchattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2006, 01:48 PM
BigCanada77
NYR in the Midwest

Send a message via AIM to BigCanada77
I love almost everything about this guy. But what I love the most is his shot.

Holy freakin christ can that man shoot the puck!!!!! And he loves doin it too...which I saw as a problem alot last year, and early this year - people being too selfless and looking for the great pass instead of being a little selfish and just loading up.

Shanahan for mayor.

BigCanada77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2006, 01:49 PM
GothamRanger

Send a message via AIM to GothamRanger
One year contract = greatest idea in sports.

GothamRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2006, 01:50 PM
Edge

My admiration for Shanahan cannot be understated.

As a player he was a guy I tried to play like. Similar size, comfortable on the off-wing, etc.

I've made no secret that I wish the Rangers would've pulled the trigger in 95 and 96 for him, so even getting him now makes me happy.

Shanahan, despite his style, has been remarkably durable during his career and though he won't keep this pace up, his value is already shown itself.

so much for certain "theories" that the guy was going to be lucky to score 20 goals....

The key will be not over using Shanahan. For his style of play and for his age (he'll be 38 half way through the season) he's going to need to be paced and ideally you get production from Hall, Dawes, etc.

The season is young, Shanahan is excited to be here and so the blood is pumping but for long term success they probably can't over-rely on him to play regular shifts, pp and pk duties. It will be up to other players to step up their game as well.

But Shanahan is the kind of signing you have to make to be successful. From personality to style of play, he's an ideal choice.

Edge is offline   Reply With Quote