HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

A thought on The Donut Line: Sammy/Kovy

Old
10-17-2006, 01:23 PM
westcoast habsfan

vCash: 500
A thought on The Donut Line: Sammy/Kovy

A thought after four games: We need a scoring centre for these two. Both Sammy and Kovy like to play with the puck and set people up. Kovy is a much more willing shooter than Sammy is but Kovy is still a winger that gets far more assists than goals. The problem with the Pleks line is that everyone is a playmaker. We need a physical, scoring centre here - desperately. Someone who will drive to the net and create space for the two Russians, who will score from in close, pick-up any rebounds or go for the odd tip-in.

The idea that Riberio or anyone would set these two up was completely wrong. It's going to work the other way, with these two setting up their centre or each other. So, we need a guy who will create space for them, and who is a good goal scorer for the line to work.

That guy isn't Pleks. He simply isn't a natural goal scorer. It wasn't Ribs either who is also a playmaker. Ditto for Koivu and Bonk. Basically, we have a donut line here.

I'm not crazy about the idea of moving Kovalev to centre because he would be a serious defensive liability. The only player I would consider moving off the wing to centre is Higgins. He could handle it easily and wouldn't be a bad fit. The problem is he has developed tremendous chemistry with Koivu and it would mean breaking up our best and most productive line.

However, I heard Carbo considering it during training camp - and it might be the best thing for the team for him to at least try it. It would give Perez the opportunity to play with Koivu. I would like to see what he could do in a more offensive role.

I'm not crazy about Begin at centre. I think he's a better winger, but his work effort, physical play and drives to the net could be beneficial between Kovy/Sammy as well. I think Sammy and Kovy could work together, but the chemistry definitely is not there yet.

And, don't give me it's only been fou games. They've had all of training camp...

westcoast habsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2006, 01:28 PM
Rise from the Ashes
@JoelGabbayNHL

Send a message via MSN to Rise from the Ashes
Not right now though, that first line is dynamite.

Rise from the Ashes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2006, 01:32 PM
Malakhov

Send a message via MSN to Malakhov
They don't need another center, they need to play on different lines.

Malakhov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2006, 01:35 PM
waffledave
waffledave, from hf

Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoast habsfan View Post
And, don't give me it's only been fou games. They've had all of training camp...
No they didn't. They had one preseason game together, where the line was thrown together just like that.

waffledave
waffledave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2006, 01:37 PM
Shabutie

Or we could just swap Perez/Sammy spots. Perez had good chemistry with Pleks last season, so we could build on that. Personally I don't think Higgins and Koivu should be split up as they are by far our best 2 forwards together (Higgins + Pleks imo is our 2nd best duo). We could try this for a few games;

Perez - Koivu - Ryder
Higgins - Pleks - Kovalev
Sammy - Bonk - Johnson
Lats - Begin - Murray/Downey

I put Perez on the first line cuz he's more physical than Sammy and is seemingly grittier this season. Higgins is gold with Pleks (as we saw on the PK last year and in Hamilton) and adding another playmaker with some scoring ability to their wing can't hurt the line. The only problem I see with these lines is Bonk, who still has yet to get much rolling offensively.

Personally though, I wouldn't touch the first line as it's been perfect so far. I'd just swap Perez and Sammy as I said.

Shabutie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2006, 01:40 PM
Marksman

Quote:
Originally Posted by waffledave View Post
No they didn't. They had one preseason game together, where the line was thrown together just like that.
Actually Plekanec got to play only one period with them in that last game.

Marksman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2006, 01:42 PM
Teufelsdreck

Carbonneau has the benefit of being able to experiment with lines during practices. He's in a better position to judge what would work than us novices, who are playing Rubiks cube with the forwards.

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2006, 01:44 PM
tinyzombies

I think the line can work. We need to give it time. With Kovalev and Sammy, you want a spread out line anyway so they can make plays. You don't want guys jamming to the net really. If they collapse, all the better...more room for those guys to make plays.

tinyzombies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2006, 01:47 PM
pavlako11

mmmmmmmmmm Donuts!

If you're thinking of breaking up the 2nd line you can only do it with players from the 3rd line, because the first is on fire!

Maybe

Perez-Pleks-Kovalev
Sammy-Bonk-Johnson

Last edited by pavlako11: 10-17-2006 at 01:52 PM.
pavlako11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2006, 01:48 PM
westcoast habsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shabutie View Post
Or we could just swap Perez/Sammy spots. Perez had good chemistry with Pleks last season, so we could build on that. Personally I don't think Higgins and Koivu should be split up as they are by far our best 2 forwards together (Higgins + Pleks imo is our 2nd best duo). We could try this for a few games;

Perez - Koivu - Ryder
Higgins - Pleks - Kovalev
Sammy - Bonk - Johnson
Lats - Begin - Murray/Downey

It still breaks up the first line but I think it's worth trying. I just don't see alot of chemistry on the other three lines. I hope that if the secondary offence struggles again tonight that Carbo starts experimenting with Higgins. Koivu makes his linemates better so Perez would do fine there. And, I think Higgins is also the type of player who can immediately create chemistry on any line he's on. He's just so versatile.

Something needs to be done though...

westcoast habsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2006, 01:58 PM
Teufelsdreck

I suppose Carbonneau (and Gainey and Muller) has too dull a hockey mind to arrive at all of the brilliant solutions proposed here.

Old
10-17-2006, 02:04 PM
oop007*

I really think it's time for some crazyness folks. Some crazy line mixing upping.

Samsanov-Koivu-Ryder
Kovalev-Higgins-Johnson <--- Kovalev + Higgins = perfect match w/ Johnson.
Latandresse-Plekanec-Kostitsyn
Bonk-Begin-Murray

oop007* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2006, 02:08 PM
oop007*

MMkay, and also what's all this about this perez guy playing for MTL?

oop007* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2006, 02:10 PM
wpg_habsfan

I know this is a silly question, but when exactly was the last time Higgins played centre?? Was it last year or was it college?

BTW, this is for an argument for someone trying to stick up for Yahoo! Sports and the reason why they haven't changed Higgins eligibility from C to LW.

wpg_habsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2006, 02:13 PM
Shabutie

Quote:
Originally Posted by wpg_habsfan View Post
I know this is a silly question, but when exactly was the last time Higgins played centre?? Was it last year or was it college?

BTW, this is for an argument for someone trying to stick up for Yahoo! Sports and the reason why they haven't changed Higgins eligibility from C to LW.
Yahoo sports is way off. Wellwood is STILL a C for me, and it's killing me, cuz I need him as a LW.

Old
10-17-2006, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diogenes View Post
Carbonneau has the benefit of being able to experiment with lines during practices. He's in a better position to judge what would work than us novices, who are playing Rubiks cube with the forwards.
lol!

Good point...I still think we need to give a few more games, however, if things continue the way they are...

I wouldn't be opposed to them trying Higgins at center, because like the original thread starter noted, they're lacking that goal scoring winger...Sammy and Kovy are playmakers, they need someone who's able to finish the play.

I'd also like to see Perezhogin playing with Koivu (is there any doubt that anyone with a small amount of talent will put up points with Koivu) I think anyone playing with Koivu's gonna produce.

There's no need for drastic movement right now, but if things don't work out, it would be nice to see.

Perezhogin-Koivu-Ryder
Samsonov-Higgins-Kovalev
Latendresse-Plekanec-Johnson
Bégin-Bonk-Murray/Downey

417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2006, 02:15 PM
wpg_habsfan

Quote:
Yahoo sports is way off. Wellwood is STILL a C for me, and it's killing me, cuz I need him as a LW.
Good, then I'm not the only one that thinks Yahoo! Sports never updates anything, or even pays attention to hockey. They still have Boyes at C and not at RW.

Idiots...

Old
10-17-2006, 02:18 PM
Shabutie

Quote:
Originally Posted by wpg_habsfan View Post
Good, then I'm not the only one that thinks Yahoo! Sports never updates anything, or even pays attention to hockey. They still have Boyes at C and not at RW.

Idiots...
I wonder how we can get it changed? I remember that when I picked Elias (cringe) he was a C, now he's C/LW (which is nice).

Old
10-17-2006, 02:21 PM
wpg_habsfan

Quote:
I wonder how we can get it changed? I remember that when I picked Elias (cringe) he was a C, now he's C/LW (which is nice).
I dunno, I think you just have to wait until it happens, which could take years...

Old
10-17-2006, 02:33 PM
pavlako11

Quote:
I know in their baseball that a player had to start 5 games at that particular position in order to be eligible. Maybe after another week then?

pavlako11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2006, 02:34 PM
wpg_habsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavlako11 View Post
I know in their baseball that a player had to start 5 games at that particular position in order to be eligible. Maybe after another week then?
I hope so, but Higgins has been playing at LW for a while, and Boyes has been playing RW for a while...

Old
10-17-2006, 02:46 PM
Athlétique_Canadien

Donut? Why are they called that? Donuts for zeros?

Athlétique_Canadien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2006, 02:53 PM
Teufelsdreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATHLÉTIQUE_CANADIEN View Post
Donut? Why are they called that? Donuts for zeros?
Because (supposedly) it's missing it's center. I'd say it's missing it's crust or glaze.

That name was first used (I believe) for the Steve Shutt-Peter Mahovlich-Guy Lafleur line. However, at one time Peter Mahovlich held the single season assist record with 82.

Old
10-17-2006, 04:11 PM
psychonaut

Maybe try to trade for a 2nd line center?

psychonaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2006, 04:22 PM
takip

We could just draw names out of a hat and those could be our lines.....here they are in the order of the draw.....

Ryder - Downey - Plekanec
Koivu - Latendresse - Bonk
Murray - Perezhogin - Samsonov
Begin - Johnson - Higgins

Press Box: Kovalev

Looks spectacular to me....

takip is offline   Reply With Quote