HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

IF Kovalev moves to Center

Old
10-17-2006, 08:51 AM
RC51

vCash: 500
IF Kovalev moves to Center

First question is would he accept to do it?????????
Big question!

BUT if he would try it, do you understand what would happen to that line.

He could take instruction from Muller and Carbo on face-offs and be at least an average face-off man ( or better)

Kovalev is the best we have 1 on 1, He wants to carry the puck a lot.
He is a very good passer and if his passes were a bit shorter they would hit the mark many more times.
He has SIZE that would be a good thing.
Insert Prez on the line as a pure shooter.

Move Pleks back to 3rd Center and give him Johnson and Tender as wingers.
Move Bonk back to the 4th line with Begin.

Higgins Koivu Ryder
Samsonov Kovalev Prez
Latendresse Pleks Johnson
Begin Bonk Downey

With just one move the line up really takes an upgrade.
IF Kovalev is willing to move to Center, give him 5 games or so and see if he settles in.

RC51 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2006, 08:56 AM
waffledave
waffledave, from hf

I don't think it's a matter of him being willing to do it but rather him being effective. His assist totals go up but his goals will go down...And I'm not comfortable with his defensive abilities at centre. There's aot of responsibility there, he'd have to start backchecking and I just don't see him doing that.

waffledave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2006, 09:01 AM
Munchausen
Full Time A-hole

The only thing that is likely to happen to that line if Kovalev centers it is to become a defensive liability and a line that will spend most of its time running around in its zone as I don't foresee Kovalev winning lots of faceoffs.

I don't think the problem is with Plekanec centering this line so much as it is with Samsonov and Kovalev not being a good fit together.

Munchausen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2006, 09:12 AM
SpreeEndaz

Higgins - Koivu - Ryder
Perezhogin - Kovalev - Latendresse
Samsonov - Bonk - Johnson
Plekanec - Begin - Murray

That would be a line-up I would definitely try; playmaker on every line with a player to go in front of the net on every line; perfect balance.

SpreeEndaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2006, 09:22 AM
Darz

Kovalev's faceoff stats

SEASON..TEAM........FW..FL
1999-00 Pitt.......... 145 161
2000-01 Pitt.......... 102 153
2001-02 Pitt.......... 81 98
2002-03 Pitt-NYR.... 14 24
2003-04 NYR-Mon... 15 16
2005-06 Mon......... 23 24
2006-07 Mon........... 1 0

for a total of 381 faceoffs won and 476 faceoffs lost for a career 44.5% faceoff percentage.

Not horrible.

I have for the past couple of yearts wondered about Kovalev playing cetnre, and keep telling myself that if it was something that wouldn't be hard to do, and a good idea, Julien or Gaieny or Carbo would of tried it by now, so.....

10-17-2006, 09:23 AM
waffledave
waffledave, from hf

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpreeEndaz View Post
Higgins - Koivu - Ryder
Perezhogin - Kovalev - Latendresse
Samsonov - Bonk - Johnson
Plekanec - Begin - Murray

That would be a line-up I would definitely try; playmaker on every line with a player to go in front of the net on every line; perfect balance.
I don't like those lines that much...Kovalev at centre has already been discussed...Latendresse is too slow to play with Kovy and Perezhogin, and until he can adapt to NHL speed, he's a huge liability on anything but the 4th line. I haven't been impressed with him aside from an average game against Ottawa and he has done nothing to deserve a 2nd line promotion.

Samsonov on the 3d line is a waste of his talents, the closest thing to a finisher on that line is Johnson and while he can score 20 goals, he's not the right complement for Sammy. Keep in mind as well that the 3rd line is sent out there as a checking line and is defensively responsible...Sammy is not that type of player.

Begin is better suited at the wing than centre, so I would put Pleks at centre instead...But even then, Pleks has been the best player on the 2nd line and doesn't deserve to be demoted like that.

I think the lines are fine the way they are. It's been 4 games and Kovalev, Pleks and Sammy haven't played together ever before. Give them time. They weren't together in the preseason either aside from one game.

Old
10-17-2006, 09:38 AM
coolguy21415
HFBoards Sponsor

As much as I like Kovalev, he takes plays off. A centre can't have that characteristic, and there isn't a line arrangement with him at centre to improve what we already have.

coolguy21415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2006, 09:43 AM
SpreeEndaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by waffledave View Post
I don't like those lines that much...Kovalev at centre has already been discussed...Latendresse is too slow to play with Kovy and Perezhogin, and until he can adapt to NHL speed, he's a huge liability on anything but the 4th line. I haven't been impressed with him aside from an average game against Ottawa and he has done nothing to deserve a 2nd line promotion.

Samsonov on the 3d line is a waste of his talents, the closest thing to a finisher on that line is Johnson and while he can score 20 goals, he's not the right complement for Sammy. Keep in mind as well that the 3rd line is sent out there as a checking line and is defensively responsible...Sammy is not that type of player.

Begin is better suited at the wing than centre, so I would put Pleks at centre instead...But even then, Pleks has been the best player on the 2nd line and doesn't deserve to be demoted like that.

I think the lines are fine the way they are. It's been 4 games and Kovalev, Pleks and Sammy haven't played together ever before. Give them time. They weren't together in the preseason either aside from one game.
Well, the concept of 3rd line isn't quite the same when you have Bonk-Johnson on it, you would have 3 lines that are quite dangerous and that could play the same amount.

SpreeEndaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2006, 09:51 AM
THEREW

Quote:
Originally Posted by waffledave View Post

I Agree with almost everything exept:
- I don't think that because of salary issues a player (samsonov or anybody) can't be demoted to a third line....Montreal can provide 3 offensive line...so if we want to separate de Kovalev samsonov duo...maybe putting samsonov on the third and promoting Perezhogin is a good option...but i Rely to Carbo to take thoses decisions...

- I alson think that Johnson is able to complete anybodys line perfectly...he maybe is (with Higgins) the best two-way player of the team and seems to click with everyone and with every style of play...

THEREW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2006, 10:01 AM
CaptCrunch

I would love to see Kovalev as a center.

IMO he already plays a center's game. There was an obvious redundancy with Koivu and Ribeiro. Even Plekanec has admitted he wasn't the playmaker on that line and that he was trying to fit in as a backchecking/support guy (which, to me, seems to be what a winger tends to do). The only thing fuzzy would be the faceoff. I don'T see it being a problem.

Lets face it, what this line lacks is a triggerman. I don't know if Latendresse would be able to keep the pace and I don't see Perezhogin as a shooter but I would love to see Kostitsyn as a RW shooter on a samsonov-kovalev line.

Of course you need to make space...

At worse I would like to see:

Higgins-Koivu-Ryder
Samsonov-Kovalev-Perezhogin
Johnson-Plekanec-Latendresse? Murray?
Begin-Bonk-Latendresse

Even better:

Higgins-Koivu-Ryder
Samsonov-Kovalev- Kostitsyn
Johnson-Plekanec-Perezhogin
Begin-Bonk-Latendresse.

Wow. I like that lineup. Murray+Downey rides the pine but.. oh well.

CaptCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2006, 10:15 AM
waffledave
waffledave, from hf

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpreeEndaz View Post
Well, the concept of 3rd line isn't quite the same when you have Bonk-Johnson on it, you would have 3 lines that are quite dangerous and that could play the same amount.
Bonk and Johnson are very good defensive players. Perezhogin has been playing well in the role as well. That line has been very solid all around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by THEREW View Post
I Agree with almost everything exept:
- I don't think that because of salary issues a player (samsonov or anybody) can't be demoted to a third line....Montreal can provide 3 offensive line...so if we want to separate de Kovalev samsonov duo...maybe putting samsonov on the third and promoting Perezhogin is a good option...but i Rely to Carbo to take thoses decisions...

- I alson think that Johnson is able to complete anybodys line perfectly...he maybe is (with Higgins) the best two-way player of the team and seems to click with everyone and with every style of play...
I didn't say salary issues, I said it's a waste of Sammy's talents. If the 3rd line becomes an offensive line, then where does our checking line go? The 4th line can't fill that role...And you're kidding yourself if a team like Montreal with the management it has is going to ice a team without a bonafide checking line.

Old
10-17-2006, 10:22 AM
Habnot

I just love all these Kovalev at center threads. I believe this was first stated on 110%.

Is it because Kovalev would make an excellent center? Of coarse not. Kovalev would make a brutal center. Not a high energy guy. He is a playmaker but not in a certerman type of way.

Then why this thread? It's the let's find a spot for King Guillaume. If King stay's much longer on the 4th line, it will become clearer tha he is not ready for prime time. Put him on the second line, and watch his natural goal scoring ability come through. Me thinks that Guy!Guy! is going back to Drummondville - at least I hope.

For once I agree with McGuire.

Habnot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2006, 10:27 AM
Habnot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munchausen View Post
The only thing that is likely to happen to that line if Kovalev centers it is to become a defensive liability and a line that will spend most of its time running around in its zone as I don't foresee Kovalev winning lots of faceoffs.

I don't think the problem is with Plekanec centering this line so much as it is with Samsonov and Kovalev not being a good fit together.
Yes and no. I agree that Samsonov and Kovalev are not a good fit. But I also haven't been overly impressed with Plek's so far. I believe it might be too much responsibilty too quickly.

Although never a good idea to break up your top line, I still think the answer might reside with Higgins.

Samsonov - Koivu - Ryder
Perezhogin- Higgins - Kovalev
Kost - Plakanec - Johnson
Begin - Bonk - Downey/Murray

Habnot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2006, 11:34 AM
Shabutie

Kovalev is best suited for Wing. Surely you've noticed that on many plays he uses his stickhandling to stall till he figures out what to do. He has very limited creativity and generally mediocre vision. To me, that's the reason he hasn't been tried at center. He couldn't do what he does if he was going down the middle and he's not someone who goes in front of the net either.

Shabutie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2006, 01:07 PM
Teufelsdreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darz View Post
Kovalev's faceoff stats

SEASON..TEAM........FW..FL
1999-00 Pitt.......... 145 161
2000-01 Pitt.......... 102 153
2001-02 Pitt.......... 81 98
2002-03 Pitt-NYR.... 14 24
2003-04 NYR-Mon... 15 16
2005-06 Mon......... 23 24
2006-07 Mon........... 1 0

for a total of 381 faceoffs won and 476 faceoffs lost for a career 44.5% faceoff percentage.

Not horrible.

I have for the past couple of yearts wondered about Kovalev playing cetnre, and keep telling myself that if it was something that wouldn't be hard to do, and a good idea, Julien or Gaieny or Carbo would of tried it by now, so.....
His stats resemble Ribeiro's, and Ribeiro is thought of as a center.

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2006, 01:11 PM
CaptCrunch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habnot View Post
I just love all these Kovalev at center threads. I believe this was first stated on 110%.

Is it because Kovalev would make an excellent center? Of coarse not. Kovalev would make a brutal center. Not a high energy guy. He is a playmaker but not in a certerman type of way.

Then why this thread? It's the let's find a spot for King Guillaume. If King stay's much longer on the 4th line, it will become clearer tha he is not ready for prime time. Put him on the second line, and watch his natural goal scoring ability come through. Me thinks that Guy!Guy! is going back to Drummondville - at least I hope.

For once I agree with McGuire.
The "Kovalev as a center" idea has been around long enough. 110% talked about it recently but it first came up a bit after Kovy was removed from Koivu's line. Its not a recent concept. It comes up once in a while.

Stop using 110% as an argument. Try to use you own instead. And way to go in your attempt to hijack a thread. Its not about Latendresse BTW.

CaptCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2006, 02:17 PM
WeThreeKings

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Who don't you just have Plekanec win the face-offs and then switch to wing duties and Kovalev play center.

WeThreeKings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2006, 02:35 PM
Rise from the Ashes
@JoelGabbayNHL

Send a message via MSN to Rise from the Ashes
I like the idea a lot.

Rise from the Ashes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2006, 03:27 PM
RC51

So lets see what we know already. If Pleks has the puck he is looking open ice, then he looks for one of his wingers that went to the net?
Has anyone seen this happen? Seen his wingers crash the net lately?
If Kovy has the puck he does the same thing but from the side boards ( still nobody in front)
Samsonov the same thing.
Too many chiefs and no indians

I cant wait for Tender to get up to speed and be the crasher on a good line. Even if it's with Pleks at first. It will still be a good move.

RC51 is online now   Reply With Quote