HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

is it just me...

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
10-17-2006, 09:05 AM
  #1
Nich
Registered User
 
Nich's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Wantagh
Country: Croatia
Posts: 6,895
vCash: 500
is it just me...

or does straka have 0 shooting skills? i mean it seems like each of his shots are directly into the goalie. I was yelling about how on the pp he should have shot far post instead of where he did shoot it (because of traffic on the far post and a chance for a rebound).

But seriously, I just got really frustrated last night watching him try to shoot the puck.

sorry just needed to rant.

Nich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2006, 09:11 AM
  #2
Fletch
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Brooklyn
Posts: 21,473
vCash: 500
Straka's never been..

a goal scorer. But the guy works his tail off and he is afforded a lot of opportunities as a result (combined with his speed) and it's not out of the question he'll score 20+ goals. He's frustrating to watch because he blows so many chances.

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2006, 09:12 AM
  #3
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired
 
SingnBluesOnBroadway's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 30,598
vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nich View Post
or does straka have 0 shooting skills? i mean it seems like each of his shots are directly into the goalie. I was yelling about how on the pp he should have shot far post instead of where he did shoot it (because of traffic on the far post and a chance for a rebound).

But seriously, I just got really frustrated last night watching him try to shoot the puck.

sorry just needed to rant.
He's certainly not a gifted goal scorer but he does have 3 goals. I agree with a lot of what you say. That's why I would consider swapping Straka and Prucha.

Prucha-Nylander-Jagr
Shanny/Straka-Cullen-Shanny/Straka

__________________
SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2006, 09:13 AM
  #4
dumpsathernow*
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 612
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nich View Post
or does straka have 0 shooting skills? i mean it seems like each of his shots are directly into the goalie. I was yelling about how on the pp he should have shot far post instead of where he did shoot it (because of traffic on the far post and a chance for a rebound).

But seriously, I just got really frustrated last night watching him try to shoot the puck.

sorry just needed to rant.
No, you are exactly right. One of the mountain of errors our head coach makes. To list a few

1. Puts Straka on the PP. Period.
2. Puts Rosival on the PP. Period.
3. Puts Dawes one a useless checking line with no ice time instead of on a scoring line like the Devils do with Zajac
4. Rewards Hollweg, time and time again when he hasn't earned it.
5. Continues to play Hossa
6. Continues to pair offensive defenseman together.
7. Continues to play Rachunek who is horrible
8. Doesn't use Dawes on the PP
9. Has Immonen and Baranka in the minors
10. Isn't rebuilding
11. Doesn't hold each player accountable. Some get punished. Other players never get punished.
12. Has zero ability to create line combo's that help young players develop

I'd go on but the list might never end.

dumpsathernow* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2006, 09:17 AM
  #5
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke
 
Bluenote13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: BKLYN, NYC
Posts: 24,157
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
He's certainly not a gifted goal scorer but he does have 3 goals. I agree with a lot of what you say. That's why I would consider swapping Straka and Prucha.

Prucha-Nylander-Jagr
Shanny/Straka-Cullen-Shanny/Straka
I would love to see it for at least a few games.

I'm not a big fan of Straka's finish either.

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2006, 09:17 AM
  #6
Fletch
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Brooklyn
Posts: 21,473
vCash: 500
I think Renney should...

switch-up Straka and Prucha just to get Prucha going.

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2006, 09:38 AM
  #7
True Blue
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 15,803
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
switch-up Straka and Prucha just to get Prucha going.
It's not like 5 assists is an example of "not going". I think you called it dead on when you said that the loss of power play time will cut into his goal scoring. However, never did I think that the Prucha's PP time would deteriorate to nothing. It is a shame, considering that he has been one of the top 3 forwards on the team.

I would love for Prucha to replace Straka. You do not need two people on the same line looking to set up Jagr at every opportunity. However, Renney will never do it. It seems that despite playing him on the 2nd line, his assessment of Prucha remains the same as it did last March. It seems that Renney seems to think that Prucha is simply unsuited to more ice time. It simply infuriates me to watch the Devils give out proper ice time to Parise and Zajac, while Prucha plays less than some of the 3rd liners on the team.

True Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2006, 10:03 AM
  #8
Fletch
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Brooklyn
Posts: 21,473
vCash: 500
by going...

I mean putting the puck in the net and shooting more. He's not shooting much, and while 5 assists is nice, I don't think it's indicative of the confidence we saw from him last season when he was scoring.

He's still getting PP time, just a good amount less. Unfortunately, in a game like last night, there was one PP and Renney decided to keep the same unit on in the last 45 seconds (which ended up working).

And I don't know what the story is with Prucha. Renney, I believe, would like to see Prucha round out his game. Most of the Rangers forwards are quite accomplished at both ends of the ice. Prucha, while improved, seems to be one of the weaker ones in his own end. While Renney hasn't come out and said it, I think that's what really holds Renney back from giving him 15-16 minutes of ice time (that, and the fact that he doesn't kill penalties).

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2006, 10:05 AM
  #9
ECL
Very slippery slope
 
ECL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: New Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 80,855
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to ECL
I think that Straka does get too much ice time but also wayyy too much heat on these boards. I've seen people throw around the word "HATE" in regards to him.

I don't see how people could hate a guy who works as hard as he does night in night out. He doesn't take a shift off. He takes the body, doesn't shy away from contact, etc etc.

What's not to like?

__________________
"Of course giving Sather cap space is like giving teenagers whiskey and car keys." - SBOB
"Watching Sather build a team is like watching a blind man with no fingers trying to put together an elaborate puzzle." - Shadowtron
I still think there should be a section of people at MSG behind the visiting bench, in curly wigs, and dark rimmed glasses, calling themselves the Pidtophiles. - Zamboner
ECL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2006, 10:09 AM
  #10
True Blue
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 15,803
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Prescription View Post
I think that Straka does get too much ice time but also wayyy too much heat on these boards. I've seen people throw around the word "HATE" in regards to him.

I don't see how people could hate a guy who works as hard as he does night in night out. He doesn't take a shift off. He takes the body, doesn't shy away from contact, etc etc.

What's not to like?
I like him as well. I have not seen the "hate" associated with him. My main problem with him is that he is simply not a finisher. He skates on a line with Nylander and Jagr. Him and Nylander will always look to set up Jagr first and foremost. I don't think that is the answer. I do not think that the top line will suffer any production whatsoever if you replace him with Prucha. In fact, I actually believe that the top-2 lines will have even more scoring if you flip the two. Maybe even switch Shanny to his natural position, since Straka can play all 3.

True Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2006, 10:13 AM
  #11
True Blue
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 15,803
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
Prucha, while improved, seems to be one of the weaker ones in his own end. While Renney hasn't come out and said it, I think that's what really holds Renney back from giving him 15-16 minutes of ice time (that, and the fact that he doesn't kill penalties).
I actually think that he is far better on the back check than most of the other forwards. I think that it all comes down to trust, Fletch. For whatever reason, Renney does not trust the kid. He did not last year and he does not this year. I hate using the Devils as the countering example, but how is that a team that contends for the Cup every year (and blew the doors off the Rangers in the playoffs last year) manage to entrust so much ice time to a 2nd year player (one whose rookie year was inferior to that of Prucha, IMO) and a rookie, while Renney cannot bring himself to trust Prucha the same way?

True Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2006, 10:14 AM
  #12
ECL
Very slippery slope
 
ECL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: New Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 80,855
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to ECL
Quote:
Originally Posted by True Blue View Post
I like him as well. I have not seen the "hate" associated with him. My main problem with him is that he is simply not a finisher. He skates on a line with Nylander and Jagr. Him and Nylander will always look to set up Jagr first and foremost. I don't think that is the answer. I do not think that the top line will suffer any production whatsoever if you replace him with Prucha. In fact, I actually believe that the top-2 lines will have even more scoring if you flip the two. Maybe even switch Shanny to his natural position, since Straka can play all 3.
Not to name names, but I think it was Brooklyn Ranger who basically said the big H word.

ECL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2006, 10:16 AM
  #13
dumpsathernow*
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 612
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by True Blue View Post
I actually think that he is far better on the back check than most of the other forwards. I think that it all comes down to trust, Fletch. For whatever reason, Renney does not trust the kid. He did not last year and he does not this year. I hate using the Devils as the countering example, but how is that a team that contends for the Cup every year (and blew the doors off the Rangers in the playoffs last year) manage to entrust so much ice time to a 2nd year player (one whose rookie year was inferior to that of Prucha, IMO) and a rookie, while Renney cannot bring himself to trust Prucha the same way?
Tom Renney has no clue how to rebuild. Tom Renney has no desire to rebuild. The simple fact is this. Unless he starts to rebuild, he needs to be fired. Nothing and I mean nothing, should take priority of the rebuild. Renney has shown he has no understanding of how to develop young players that don't dazzle him right away. He has no patience. I loathe him.

dumpsathernow* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2006, 10:43 AM
  #14
bathgate
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 911
vCash: 500
I happen to think Prucha is doing quite well. His back check is much better this year and his hustle continues to be outstanding. Although I like Cullen, he does not appear adept at setting up his wingers. Once again I harp, give Immo the chance to center the line and we'll see more positive results

bathgate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2006, 10:46 AM
  #15
BobMarleyNYR
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Alphabet
Country: Iraq
Posts: 3,337
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to BobMarleyNYR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Prescription View Post
I think that Straka does get too much ice time but also wayyy too much heat on these boards. I've seen people throw around the word "HATE" in regards to him.

I don't see how people could hate a guy who works as hard as he does night in night out. He doesn't take a shift off. He takes the body, doesn't shy away from contact, etc etc.

What's not to like?
No, you're right. He does really give his all every night. I also get frustrated with his finishing because, while it seems he has a good shot, it's like he aims for the goaltender's chest.

Same with Nylander, though. People seemed to have disliked him last season, but he has some big time skill. He might dangle a bit much, but that's the type of center he is and it can be very dangerous. He skates so well, he will hit and back check and he's a slightly better scorer than Straka. Maybe it was all the hooking penaties he took.

BobMarleyNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2006, 11:41 AM
  #16
Fletch
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Brooklyn
Posts: 21,473
vCash: 500
Tb...

I think he's more noticeable on the backcheck than many - I don't think he's actually entirely more effective. There are a few good plays that stand out, like a couple that ended up as goals for the Rangers and a couple diving plays, but I think one of the dives was because a guy got past him, and too often once he gets the puck, he has trouble getting out of the zone still. I think the lack of trust has to do with his inability, still, at times to get the puck effectively out of the defensive zone. And lately he's made a couple gaffes at the offensive blueline which is never good. He needs to get back to crashing the boards (of which he's doing a bit less) and getting shots on net (of which he's doing very little). I believe he's worth trying to get going (goal scoring wise), and playing him with Jagr is a worthwhile experiment, especially the way Shanny has been playing of late. Further, I haven't seen a lot of the chemistry Cullen and Prucha had in preseason during the regular season. It's only six games, but it's never too early to tweak known quantities.

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2006, 02:10 PM
  #17
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.
 
BrooklynRangersFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Brooklyn of course
Country: United States
Posts: 11,029
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Prescription View Post
Not to name names, but I think it was Brooklyn Ranger who basically said the big H word.
Actually it was me.

And while perhaps hate is a strong word, I do dislike him in the extreme. Very fast, yes. But too small, average stickhandling and SUCH a subpar shot (as has been well-established in this thread). The number of golden opportunities he's blown playing in perhaps the most enviable LW position in the league is just mind boggling. My feelings wouldn't be so strong except for the fact that he's particularly useless on the same line (really the same team) with Nylander, who plays the same game - about two notches higher (although not quite as quick, I grant you).

Also, the deference he shows to Jagr on the PP is just too much. The other team KNOWS where the puck is going the minute it hits his stick.

I also take issue with the "never stops working" point - on games where the team does well, he certainly displays an admirable amount of hustle, but damn it, the whole first unit from last year except for Nylander was basically floating during the three game shnide.

BrooklynRangersFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2006, 02:18 PM
  #18
Son of Steinbrenner
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 9,882
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
a goal scorer. But the guy works his tail off and he is afforded a lot of opportunities as a result (combined with his speed) and it's not out of the question he'll score 20+ goals. He's frustrating to watch because he blows so many chances.
He does but he allows the Rangers to play three forwards deep because his speed makes up for no third man high..

He does little things well and can play center in a pinch..

Prucha should get on the ice more and I think as the season goes along he will. I don't see how Renneys comments on March 23rd of last season have anything to do with Pruchas ice time. If Prucha was seeing Dawes minutes than complain but the guy that bumped Prucha on the top pp line has 4 pp goals in 6 games!

You just can't have it both ways and it looks like the Jagr line is starting to go so that means Straka will stay put..

Also remember one thing..Our forwards are going to be injured along the way and Prucha (if he isn't one of the injured) is the first guy that could step up.

This isn't about Renney squeezing him out of ice time it's about the flow of the game isn't 5 on 5 it's special teams.

Son of Steinbrenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2006, 02:25 PM
  #19
Plato
Registered User
 
Plato's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: New York
Country: Greece
Posts: 10,180
vCash: 100000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
switch-up Straka and Prucha just to get Prucha going.
yeah his impact was very limited

Plato is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2006, 03:03 PM
  #20
Fletch
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Brooklyn
Posts: 21,473
vCash: 500
I think, SoS...

that we don't know Renney's true thoughts about Prucha. I personally believe it has a bit to do about his defense, as I mentioned, especially late in the season last year when things got rough. I don't care about his comment so much because I don't believe everyting that comes out of his mouth. I thought it was a silly comment and he was trying to justify playing a guy like Rucinsky (or Straka) over him, or justify his lack of ice time.

On the injury note: I don't buy that too much. Prucha scored 30 goals in 68 games last season. He scored two more PP goals than Shanahan did last season in about 70 less PP minutes. I don't think he should be waiting for someone to go down at this point; rather someone should be waiting for him to go down. I understand your point, but he's now a second year pro after a decent season and played very well in preseason too and deserves the ice time.

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2006, 03:12 PM
  #21
hockeyprincess
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Kingston, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,211
vCash: 500
Darius needs to score a sweet goal like he did when he played for the Pens. You know the one I mean...

hockeyprincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2006, 03:26 PM
  #22
Finest
Puck Fittsburg
 
Finest's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Long Island
Country: United States
Posts: 5,587
vCash: 500
Straka can score,he IS capable of it, although he is a little too unselfish at times. I'll take the non-shooting Straka as long as he can feed those who can and will finish.

Finest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2006, 03:48 PM
  #23
JayMan82
Registered User
 
JayMan82's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 1,379
vCash: 500
I *HATE* that they keep using him on the point for the PP...

JayMan82 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2006, 06:19 PM
  #24
shoothepuck
88
 
shoothepuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: upstate
Country: Italy
Posts: 12,197
vCash: 500
It almost seems like Straka takes an extra second to shoot and by the time he lets it go the goalie is in great position, and takes it in the chest. If you watch him, he slows a second to look down at the puck, and by then the good shot chance is lost. As long as he keeps setting others up, and backchecking, he'll do fine.

shoothepuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2006, 09:09 PM
  #25
Son of Steinbrenner
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 9,882
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
that we don't know Renney's true thoughts about Prucha. I personally believe it has a bit to do about his defense, as I mentioned, especially late in the season last year when things got rough. I don't care about his comment so much because I don't believe everyting that comes out of his mouth. I thought it was a silly comment and he was trying to justify playing a guy like Rucinsky (or Straka) over him, or justify his lack of ice time.

On the injury note: I don't buy that too much. Prucha scored 30 goals in 68 games last season. He scored two more PP goals than Shanahan did last season in about 70 less PP minutes. I don't think he should be waiting for someone to go down at this point; rather someone should be waiting for him to go down. I understand your point, but he's now a second year pro after a decent season and played very well in preseason too and deserves the ice time.
It's a hard situation for Renney because as good as Prucha is Shanahan is better on the power play.

Where does Renney find the minutes to get Prucha without cutting into Hollwegs and Dawes? At even strength Straka averages a little over 2 minutes a game and on the power play Straka doesn't even play forward. It's not as cut and dry people are making the whole ice time debate to be. I personally think Prucha would be a better fit with Shanahan and Jagr on the power play but I doubt Renney goes that way.

Fletch, not to long ago you proposed Prucha on the penalty kill and as much as I wouuld hate the site of him blocking shots I'm starting to agree with it. I think that if you cut Shanny (who is a great penalty killer) and give some of that time to Prucha it might balance things a bit...

Son of Steinbrenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:50 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.