HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Idea for a Jagr/WASH solution

Closed Thread

Old
11-21-2003, 01:12 PM
speeds

vCash: 500
Idea for a Jagr/WASH solution

From all the rumors we've read it sounds as though WASH wants to dump Jagr and his salary. He's a suggestion to do that in such a way to help both parties.

- Tear up Jagr's old contract, and replace it with a one year deal at 11 mil (pro-rated for the rest of this year) with a 8 mil signing bonus(number is of course just a wild guess). At the end of the year Jagr would be a UFA.

from a WASH perspective:

- get out of the long deal
- they are apparently willing to eat salary anyways, so the 8 mil lump payment can just be seen as a way of eating some of the salary over the long term to buy out the deal
- vastly improved trade value for Jagr at the deadline, or now, if they want to trade him for prospects

from Jagr's perspective:

-doesn't have to stay in the losing WASH environment
-gets a bunch of money up front, and even though his next contract likely won't be as big, he could look at it as (a) gets to pick where he plays (how much is that worth to him?) (b) PV of the 8 mil signing bonus is worth more than 2 mil a year extra over a 4-5 year deal

This deal probably wouldn't work if Jagr absolutely wants to make as much as possible, but might if he at all cares about getting into a winning environment.

throwing it out there for discussion/improvement...

Old
11-21-2003, 01:33 PM
NYR469

you gotta be kidding me...there is no way jagr would agree to that...i don't care how unhappy jagr says he is in washington, he is NOT unhappy enough to give up $55 mil

i'm sure he'd be glad to let the caps buy him out though

Old
11-21-2003, 01:43 PM
Joey24

Send a message via ICQ to Joey24
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR469
you gotta be kidding me...there is no way jagr would agree to that...i don't care how unhappy jagr says he is in washington, he is NOT unhappy enough to give up $55 mil

i'm sure he'd be glad to let the caps buy him out though
Yeah I agree that's a little farfetched.

Old
11-21-2003, 09:37 PM
speeds

I don't see how he'd get less than 8 mil on the UFA market a year on a 3-4 year deal. Maybe he would though; maybe I still overestimate his worth?

He's already made a lot of money, it's not inconceivable (IMO) that he would be willing to take a slight hit to move to a team he'd prefer to play for, especially given how much he's already made.

It would of course depend on the payment (maybe he'd need 13 mil up front from WASH to be willing to make this move), and maybe the amount WASH would be willing to pay in a lump sum wouldn't be enough to meet Jagr's requests. but maybe it would, it would be an avenue worth exploring IMO if I were either WASH management or Jagr's agent, assuming Jagr is actually unhappy in WASH.

Old
11-22-2003, 03:41 AM
CREW99AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by speeds
I don't see how he'd get less than 8 mil on the UFA market a year on a 3-4 year deal. Maybe he would though; maybe I still overestimate his worth?

We've no idea what the cap's going to look like.

We've seen teams tightening their belts financially since last summer,spending less on ufas then expected.

I'd be very surprised if Jagr+ his reps ok'd a move like this.

Old
11-22-2003, 04:10 AM
NYR469

Quote:
maybe he would but where would his incentive be to give up $11 mil/year to possibly make $8 mil??

especially with the unknown possiblity of a cap that could seriously limit the amount other teams could give him, why would he agree to it?? only way it makes sense for jagr is if that extra $3 mil/year is being deferred, so he still gets the $$ just at a later time

Old
11-22-2003, 04:14 AM
Ironchef Chris Wok*

Send a message via ICQ to Ironchef Chris Wok*
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR469
maybe he would but where would his incentive be to give up $11 mil/year to possibly make $8 mil??
So that he coudl go to a winning team?

Old
11-22-2003, 04:33 AM
btmarshall

vCash:
There's no way Jagr tears up his contract. Right now, no one would give him what he makes at the moment, no one will give him a deal that will be that long term, and in three-four years, he won't get a $5 million deal at that age if he's looking for a new contract then. He is on the decline.

His contract is awesome for him. No incentives to care either way. No risk whatsoever. No way he restructures. He'll never be that unhappy. The Caps are stuck with him. He doesn't care that much about being on a winning team. Not enough to take less money.

Old
11-22-2003, 04:40 AM
Ironchef Chris Wok*

Send a message via ICQ to Ironchef Chris Wok*
Quote:
Originally Posted by btmarshall
There's no way Jagr tears up his contract. Right now, no one would give him what he makes at the moment, no one will give him a deal that will be that long term, and in three-four years, he won't get a $5 million deal at that age if he's looking for a new contract then. He is on the decline.

His contract is awesome for him. No incentives to care either way. No risk whatsoever. No way he restructures. He'll never be that unhappy. The Caps are stuck with him. He doesn't care that much about being on a winning team. Not enough to take less money.
You never know. What would you rather do if you were already rich:

Take 21 million dollars and perhaps a bit more to win, or take 55 million dollars to lose forever and ever.

Old
11-22-2003, 05:01 AM
IkeaMonkey*
HF Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironchef Chris Wok

Take 21 million dollars and perhaps a bit more to win, or take 55 million dollars to lose forever and ever.
Forever and ever? I love it.2 years down the road(assuming we keep payroll as it is), realistically, the caps can find ways to rid Lang's 5Mil(via trade),Nylander's 2.6(trade), Bondra's 4.5(retirement) and Kolzig's 6.25 (via trade or retirement).Theres 17.3 mil to resign Gonchar at say 6-6.5 mil, sign 3-4 UFAs with the remaining 11 mil, and the possibility of drafting Ovechkin/Barker(optimistic pessimism) with the high draft pick they will probably get, it wont be a terrible team.

Old
11-22-2003, 06:25 AM
Kirk Muller*

Quote:
what speeds wrote
At first, I just scoffed at your idea because I thought there was no way Jagr would forgo the ~30M$ remaining on his contract, were he and the Caps to take up your suggestion.

I now think it could make a lot of financial sense if he milks Leonsis properly. If he plays out the rest of this year, the nominal buy-out rate would be about 29M$ (44M$ remaining X 2/3). If Jagr agrees to something lower, like 15M$, then plays for about 9M$ the next four years, he'd actually make more money than under the current contract, but that's all depending on what Leonsis is ready to do to get rid of him.

Old
11-22-2003, 06:31 AM
btmarshall

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironchef Chris Wok

Wealth does a funny thing ... it tends to turn you into a heavy spender. Jagr doesn't think of himself as having a bottomless pool of money from which to dip on a whim, what with debts and all. May not have the kind of cash flow to meet his financial commitments as one might expect.

Either way, Jagr feels he needs that money, doesn't think of himself being filthy rich, even with his overseas investments, his merchandise deals. Believe the assertion or not, but Jagr's not going to tear up his contract. This summer the Rangers and Caps were close to a deal, contingent on Jagr renegotiating --not the whole deal-- but just the bonus year, the eighth year. This is to go to the team for which he evidently would like to play.

He still wouldn't do it. Jagr wants his full paycheck and he wants to set terms. That is his right, because he signed a deal, and the Caps cannot retrench. They must honor it or find another team gullible enough to honor it. Someone is going to pay him $77M, maybe $88M, however. The moron in all this was Leonsis, who pushed this trade and this contract on his GM.

I don't think he can be traded. I do think the Caps have to deal their vets, but I dispute the notion that there will be enough money to re-sign Gonchar. I think they will have to deal him as well, in order to retrench on payroll while having to keep Jagr and his absurd contract.

EDIT: The key to this deal for Jagr is not the $11M he makes now, but the $11M he makes in the seventh year, and maybe even in the eighth year. That kind of deal at his age will never, ever be offered him if he is looking for a contract at that point in his career.

Old
11-23-2003, 07:34 AM
borro

Here's a unique idea...

Jagr and Cassidy for Jacques Lemaire.

Can you trade a coach?

The Caps drop payroll and get the one thing they have never had-a great coach.

Closed Thread