HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Comment on Colorado trade rumours

Closed Thread

Old
11-24-2003, 04:07 AM
devilman

vCash: 500
Comment on Colorado trade rumours

Col has enough offensive d-men, what they need is a quality stay-at-home d-man. Too often the D exposes Abby alone in front of the net, 1st shot Goalie, rebound to d-man.

Gonchar would be kind of useless for COL, they have enough firepower from the blue-line (Morris, Blake).

Beyond this season Kono, Kariya, Salami and Foppa might be gone, so no way in this universe Lacroix would consider trade Tanguay. What would be left? Sakic and Hejduk. I can't imagine he would gamble he can sign couple of 1st/2nd liners from UFA, and there are just too less prospects in the system who can help next season (whenever that will be).

As for the goaltending situation, they will wait until the trade-deadline, Abby will have enough time to play more consistent, then I predict no starting-goalie will be needed. I'd rather think that they will trade for a veteran-insurance-goalie, who could take over in the playoffs if Abby failes.

Now flame me....

Old
11-24-2003, 05:31 AM
Goulet17

I think if March and the trade deadline arrives and the Avs have yet to make a move for a goaltender, then you won't see the Avs acquire a netminder period.

Goaltending acquisitions at the trade deadline seldom work, goaltenders need at least a couple of months to get acclimated to a team and vice versa.

It is probably the most difficult position to work into a lineup, as both the netminder and defensemen need time to adjust.

In fact, If Lacroix hasn't made a move for a netminder by the All-Star break, I don't think the Avs will make a move. A goaltender trade needs to occur by probably around mid-January to ensure a successful transition period.

The Avs may make a move for veteran backup, but the question is who is available that has playoff experience? Trevor Kidd? Arturs Irbe? I don't think so. There aren't many Jeff Hackett or Ron Tugnutt type veteran netminders available that can play a backup role if necessary. Plus such a move is extremely tame by Lacroix standards, as he either goes with a big trade or none at all.

I think a strong possibility is that Lacroix stays with Aebischer and Sauve for the playoffs. Lacroix has a big ego and perhaps he just thumbs his nose at the whole league and stands pat.

I personally think that would be a major mistake, but I also think it is a good possibility.

Old
11-24-2003, 06:42 AM
txpd

As for the goaltending situation, they will wait until the trade-deadline, Abby will have enough time to play more consistent, then I predict no starting-goalie will be needed. I'd rather think that they will trade for a veteran-insurance-goalie, who could take over in the playoffs if Abby failes.

Now flame me....

the last time that a team won the stanley cup with a 2nd tier goalie was 98-chris osgood/detroit. the last time a team that won the cup with a goalie in his first post season starts was montreal/patrick roy. i can't remember the last time a team won the cup with a veteran-insurance goalie taking over as the #1 guy....can you? the odds are pretty long against colorado winning the stanley cup without a top playoff goalie.
if you really think that david aebischer is the exception to the rule, good luck. if you think that ron tugnutt, jeff hackett or tommy salo is going to carry the 'lanche to a cup, you are just a lost homer.

Old
11-24-2003, 06:43 AM
Bruwinz37

Quote:
Originally Posted by devilman
Col has enough offensive d-men, what they need is a quality stay-at-home d-man. Too often the D exposes Abby alone in front of the net, 1st shot Goalie, rebound to d-man.

Gonchar would be kind of useless for COL, they have enough firepower from the blue-line (Morris, Blake).

Beyond this season Kono, Kariya, Salami and Foppa might be gone, so no way in this universe Lacroix would consider trade Tanguay. What would be left? Sakic and Hejduk. I can't imagine he would gamble he can sign couple of 1st/2nd liners from UFA, and there are just too less prospects in the system who can help next season (whenever that will be).

Now flame me....
Gonchar would be useles for Colorado? Thanks for reminding me why I get so frustrated with reading posts on this board. Do tell how a Norris caliber defenseman would be useless for any team? Good grief....

Old
11-24-2003, 06:53 AM
thome_26
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via ICQ to thome_26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruwinz20
Gonchar would be useles for Colorado? Thanks for reminding me why I get so frustrated with reading posts on this board. Do tell how a Norris caliber defenseman would be useless for any team? Good grief....
It's not that he'd be useless - I think he put it that way to create the effect and translate his strong opinion that another high flying scorer isn't at all what the Avs need. They need more of a stay at homer like a Jason Smith or Glen Wesley or somebody like that.

Old
11-24-2003, 07:12 AM
devilman

Ok, regarding Gonchar, useless was a too strong word. I meant Col has enough firepower, so there's no NEED for Gonchar.

Good points about the goaltending aquisition. Didn't think about the transition a goalie would need. So if not by x-mas or latest end of January, Col have Abby in the net.

If I was Lacroix, I'd trade Skoula and a late draft-pick for a strong stay-at-homer and a 3rd/4th liner. But it seems Skoula's trade-value won't be enough for both, unless a team wants to dump salaries.

Old
11-24-2003, 07:42 AM
sundaystar

Craig Rivet? not sure if he would fit their bill but montreal wouldn't ask for much. mid round pick?

Old
11-24-2003, 08:19 AM
andora

Send a message via MSN to andora
rivet would be nice IMO.. with some salary paid of course, he isn't worth that much

also, another forward like konowalchuk would be beautiful, wiemer would have been wonderful, but we should still be able to nab a guy fairly cheap, perhaps a waiver pickup, ufa signing, or even a mid to late round pick trade..

Old
11-24-2003, 12:47 PM
wazee

The Avs do need a goalie. Aebischer has been adequate, nothing more. My guess was he would be replaced by Christmas, but if the Cujo situation is not resolved by then, it could be later. Lacroix has been making his blockbuster deals weeks before the deadline, so sometime in February would be my fallback position.

I can also see the Avs picking up a UFA-to-be 4th-5th defenseman near the deadline...someone they can get for a pick. There is no need to trade Skoula to fill that need. If they do trade Skoula...say in a goalie deal...they will need to pick up two defensemen so they have 7 going into the playoffs.

Old
11-24-2003, 02:18 PM
MileHigh

Quote:
Originally Posted by wazee
The Avs do need a goalie. Aebischer has been adequate, nothing more.
I disagree with you their. Aebi has been doing exactly what was hoped of him and if that's what you mean by adequate, fine he certinally has been adequate.

He is leading, or very close to leading the league in wins for goalies and has done a steller job at keeping the Avs in games. Many people thought he'd fall flat on his face and the Avs would push the panic button and get Cujo or some other goalie who would not be doing a much better job than Aebi himself.

Aebi is doing fine and their are a few other things that the avs should be focusing on aquiring.

- A solid 3rd line, physical C/RW, physicallity(?) is I think the most important issue. The Avs despretly need some one to lay down the law on the ice.
- Good 5/6 d-man who can control rebounds from Aebi, doesn't need any offensive upside what so ever

Closed Thread