HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Could it be Cloutiers New gear?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
10-17-2006, 06:32 PM
  #1
northernKing
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 1,841
vCash: 500
Could it be Cloutiers New gear?

Having watched every game he has played this season and about 90% in a VAN jersey, I think some of Cloutiers problems may have to do with his equipment.

His goal pads seem alot bigger than in previous years. He has also given up many goals were he thinks he has everythinh covered only to have the puck go in.
Luongo mentioned having trouble with new gear VS SJ and I think the oversized pads may be hurting Cloutier too.

Maybe someone can post a side by side picture of his old vs new gear?

northernKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2006, 06:43 PM
  #2
JBernierFan
Drink up!
 
JBernierFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: San Diego
Country: United States
Posts: 3,789
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nK View Post
Having watched every game he has played this season and about 90% in a VAN jersey, I think some of Cloutiers problems may have to do with his equipment.

His goal pads seem alot bigger than in previous years. He has also given up many goals were he thinks he has everythinh covered only to have the puck go in.
Luongo mentioned having trouble with new gear VS SJ and I think the oversized pads may be hurting Cloutier too.

Maybe someone can post a side by side picture of his old vs new gear?
I disagree. I think new gear is a good excuse, just like JR's skates. This is the big time. If you can't handle your job then work on it. If it's equipment, solve that problem. It's not like money is an issue. Cloutier has now had these pads before training camp and up until now. If pads are the problem, again...solve the problem.

Another point, they might look taller because goalie pads are now thinner. If you look around the league, all goalies seem to be wearing taller pads but i think it's an illusion. Have you seen Lundqvist's pads this year? They look unreal big. I think it's just the new cut and design.

I don't know. Maybe it's just me, but at this level (the NHL) i think equipment shouldn't be a factor.

JBernierFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2006, 06:56 PM
  #3
northernKing
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 1,841
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by VisnovskyFan View Post
I disagree. I think new gear is a good excuse, just like JR's skates. This is the big time. If you can't handle your job then work on it. If it's equipment, solve that problem. It's not like money is an issue. Cloutier has now had these pads before training camp and up until now. If pads are the problem, again...solve the problem.

Another point, they might look taller because goalie pads are now thinner. If you look around the league, all goalies seem to be wearing taller pads but i think it's an illusion. Have you seen Lundqvist's pads this year? They look unreal big. I think it's just the new cut and design.

I don't know. Maybe it's just me, but at this level (the NHL) i think equipment shouldn't be a factor.
First off I am the last one who will make excuses for Cloutier. IMO he is an average goalie who benefited from a strong team in VAN.

Also the size may look bigger seeing how he wore black pads in VAN and these usually make goalies look smaller and more agile.

I would just like to see him in his old pads, but chances are he would still just be average.

northernKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2006, 06:57 PM
  #4
kingsfan25
Registered User
 
kingsfan25's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,834
vCash: 500
Could it have been JR's new skates?

kingsfan25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2006, 08:38 PM
  #5
Live in the Now
YNWA
 
Live in the Now's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: LA
Country: United States
Posts: 31,704
vCash: 500
Awards:
It's the mask.

Live in the Now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2006, 09:08 PM
  #6
KingPurpleDinosaur
Bandwagon Kings Fan
 
KingPurpleDinosaur's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: irvine, ca
Posts: 2,888
vCash: 500
as someone said before, if he's got a problem, sit on the bench until he can figure it out. Besides, I don't think goalie pads has anything to do with a puck shot from the blue line, hitting you in the chest, then trickling in. That's positioning and controlling the god damn puck. Put in a shooter tutor and learn from that.

Not like he's getting paid $2.5 million or something....

KingPurpleDinosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2006, 10:07 PM
  #7
Tadite
Registered User
 
Tadite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Rhode Island
Country: United States
Posts: 4,793
vCash: 500
New Gear?

Cloutier playing badly? Don't really see that honestly. Cloutier is playing like he always plays... now if that bad... well.. thats another thread.

Tadite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2006, 10:10 PM
  #8
wukwinn
Registered User
 
wukwinn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 1,257
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to wukwinn Send a message via Yahoo to wukwinn
Quote:
Originally Posted by VisnovskyFan View Post
I disagree. I think new gear is a good excuse, just like JR's skates.
Pavol Demitra only sharpens his skates once a year (source) and look how great he is...That just makes JR look like a dumb donkey.

wukwinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2006, 10:20 PM
  #9
kingsfan25
Registered User
 
kingsfan25's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,834
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tadite View Post
New Gear?

Cloutier playing badly? Don't really see that honestly. Cloutier is playing like he always plays... now if that bad... well.. thats every thread.
Neutered.

kingsfan25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2006, 10:21 PM
  #10
kingsfan25
Registered User
 
kingsfan25's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,834
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by wukwinn View Post
Pavol Demitra only sharpens his skates once a year (source) and look how great he is...That just makes JR look like a dumb donkey.
That could explain why he's injured so often.

kingsfan25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2006, 10:40 PM
  #11
ILuvLA
Registered User
 
ILuvLA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Lost in LA
Country: United States
Posts: 4,744
vCash: 500
And the odds are pretty good that Pavol's going to burn LA's collective a** tomorrow night.

ILuvLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2006, 11:57 PM
  #12
Reaper45
Registered User
 
Reaper45's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: South Bay
Country: United States
Posts: 30,795
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Reaper45
Quote:
Originally Posted by ILuvLA View Post
And the odds are pretty good that Pavol's going to burn LA's collective a** tomorrow night.
Unless he gets hurt before then.

Reaper45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2006, 12:04 AM
  #13
Skebo
Registered User
 
Skebo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Pissin' in the Pond
Country: United States
Posts: 876
vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to Skebo
Back on topic... Don't you really think his knee injury and almost 2 years away from NHL caliber hockey would be a more likely reason for his poor play?

Our maybe he's just the Kings overpaid, mediocre goalie du jour.

Skebo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2006, 12:05 AM
  #14
Reaper45
Registered User
 
Reaper45's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: South Bay
Country: United States
Posts: 30,795
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Reaper45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skebo View Post
Our maybe he's just the Kings overpaid, mediocre goalie du jour.
To steal a page from Tubby's book....

"same as it ever was...same as it ever was..."

Reaper45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2006, 12:09 AM
  #15
kingsfan25
Registered User
 
kingsfan25's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,834
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper45 View Post
To steal a page from Tubby's book....

"same as it ever was...same as it ever was..."
Tubby stole it from David Byrne...but only as retribution for Byrne stealing "Burning Down the House" from Tubby's Progressive Alt. Rock medley "Doobie".

kingsfan25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2006, 12:54 AM
  #16
bland
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 1,880
vCash: 500
I think there may be something to this - all three goals last night beat Cloutier's 5-hole, with the last one being particulary brutal. It looked like he was trying to make the save with the rear portion of the inside of his pads - almost like some bastardized ballet position.

I could be wrong, but his legs do look less flexible. Could be the new pads, could be the rust, could be the suck, could be a combo of the three.

bland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2006, 03:02 AM
  #17
Venom_17
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,093
vCash: 500
It's his knee injury from last season.

Venom_17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2006, 04:21 PM
  #18
Skebo
Registered User
 
Skebo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Pissin' in the Pond
Country: United States
Posts: 876
vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to Skebo
Arthroscopic surgery is just amazing. A person can have torn ligaments and cartilage taken care of during their lunch break. Athletes are now coming back to their respective sports in weeks, when it used to take months to come back from an open knee surgery.
One thing that hasn’t changed though is that cartilage can not really be repaired and it doesn’t really heal. The doctor will generally just clean up the torn edges, so they don’t continue to tear. And once that cartilage is gone, it doesn’t grow back.

Speaking from experience (I’ve had both my knees scoped), it takes something away from what I call your “knee confidence”, when you have that cartilage removed. Your knee just doesn’t feel “right” for awhile after that surgery. The pain is gone, but you just don’t trust the knee like you did in the past, because it just feels different or loose. For a professional athlete, you can bet that a loss of knee confidence can impact your career. Goalies live off the flexibility in their legs. Any loss of flexibility could ruin their careers.

The timing of Cloutier's contract extension really has me baffled.

Skebo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2006, 05:45 PM
  #19
Venom_17
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,093
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsfan25 View Post
Could it have been JR's new skates?
It wasn't the skates, it was the skate sharpener.

Venom_17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:40 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.