HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Larger Ice Surface

Closed Thread

Old
11-21-2003, 04:07 PM
HabsoluteFate

vCash: 500
Larger Ice Surface

Anyone else think that they should have made the ice surface for the Edmonton-Montreal game bigger....perhaps to see what kind of game would come out of it? in this case it wouldnt have taken much more to acomplish than a normal ice surface....

Old
11-21-2003, 06:18 PM
Habber

Quote:
Originally Posted by HabsoluteFate
Anyone else think that they should have made the ice surface for the Edmonton-Montreal game bigger....perhaps to see what kind of game would come out of it? in this case it wouldnt have taken much more to acomplish than a normal ice surface....
Helluva an idea. Problem is the money-hungry owners don't want anyone to know that the game would be much more entertaining on the big ice. Can't lose the revenue from those three front rows of seats you know.

Old
11-22-2003, 06:16 AM
HabsoluteFate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habber
Helluva an idea. Problem is the money-hungry owners don't want anyone to know that the game would be much more entertaining on the big ice. Can't lose the revenue from those three front rows of seats you know.
ya unfortunately thats the biggest problem...arenas dont sell out anymore so now is perhaps the time to do it...up the prices on the lowest tickets to somehow compencate....they could add more seats further away...im sure more fans would come to the games if it was more exciting and with more offence

Old
11-22-2003, 06:37 AM
habsfansam

yeah, and the bonus would be that koivu is one of the world's best on the larger international ice surface!!!

Do league rules stipulate the size of the rink, or the minimum size?? My brother was always convinced that when they switched buildings they should have just installed an international ice-surface and then drafted for skill and speed, not worrying about the size difference at home. It'd be one heck of a home-ice advantage!

Edit: when the Habs left teh forum for the Bell Centre...

Old
11-22-2003, 10:11 AM
creative giant*

Quote:
um, actually there is enough room left over on the field to make the rink twice the size it is right now, but they kept it official size not because they want to save money, but because you can only play nhl games on rinks that are the official current nhl size. you can't just throw together random numbers for rink size and expect to play a game that counts in the nhl standings.

Old
11-22-2003, 10:16 AM
Istvan

Quote:
AGREE.

Old
11-22-2003, 10:56 AM
Breenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by creative giant
um, actually there is enough room left over on the field to make the rink twice the size it is right now, but they kept it official size not because they want to save money, but because you can only play nhl games on rinks that are the official current nhl size. you can't just throw together random numbers for rink size and expect to play a game that counts in the nhl standings.
I am sure this is in fact the reason. The league has an obsession with conformity. I just don't see why playing on the international surface should make any difference, is it not still hockey? I think the rink should be whatever size the owner wants it to be, it would be interesting to see the different games produced.

Old
11-22-2003, 11:06 AM
habsfansam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breenger
I am sure this is in fact the reason. The league has an obsession with conformity. I just don't see why playing on the international surface should make any difference, is it not still hockey? I think the rink should be whatever size the owner wants it to be, it would be interesting to see the different games produced.
I'm almost entirely certain that various rinks around the league have different dimensions. However, they are all within a few feet of eachother in terms of length and width. Giving some real freedom to the teams to have their own rinks would be interesting, because the highly strategic, system oriented teams would need to adapt in order to survive... for sure it would open things up.

I don't think we should play on soccer fields (isnt there a game played in russia where the rink is HUGE... i thought that was why vladimir Malakhov said his stride was so long, from playing on such a large ice surface), but allowing teams to make a rink 15feet longer, and 10 feet wider, with say an extra 4 feet behind each net... WOW, think of the options you'd have as an offensive player. A d-man that tried to ride you out of the play would end up way out of it himself.

Old
11-22-2003, 11:48 AM
rabi_sultan

Send a message via ICQ to rabi_sultan Send a message via AIM to rabi_sultan Send a message via MSN to rabi_sultan Send a message via Yahoo to rabi_sultan
i think its a good idea to have a mix in the size of the rink and would be a great way to open up the competition in the NHL. This would have been the best time to test this theory I wonder if the idea had even been proposed at all?

As for the soccer reference, in Europe all the soccer pitches are of different sizes as is the distance between the edge of the pitch and stands and this makes quite a big difference in intimidation and playing style and strategy. As an example a team like Arsenal struggled when they played at Wembley instead of Highbury purely down to pitch size so I'm sure the same would hold true for hockey.

Old
11-22-2003, 01:02 PM
FF de Mars

The best would be a minimum and a maximum size, and you let every team free to choose.

Old
11-22-2003, 06:35 PM
Istvan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breenger
Doesn't Calgary have an international size rink having hosted the winter Olympics?

Closed Thread