HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

ESPN not showing the Heritage Classic Live!!!

Closed Thread

Old
11-22-2003, 06:25 AM
HughJass*

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to HughJass* Send a message via Yahoo to HughJass*
ESPN not showing the Heritage Classic Live!!!

I saw this thread, and this had me miffed:

http://www.offthepost.net/viewtopic.php?t=4217

This is a travesty, and I'm surprised there isn't much of an uproar. I have Center Ice, so I'll catch the game. But to show the game next week on ESPN Classic as an "Instant Classic"? Ridiculous. This game should be on live! If you are fed up with the crap ESPN do, tell them!

http://msn.espn.go.com/sitetools/s/contact/espntv.html

If everyone in the US who is pissed with them would let them know then maybe they will start making some changes. I don't care if some of you will flame me for posting this, but it doesn't hurt to try.

Old
11-22-2003, 06:28 AM
TelperiŽn

Quote:
Originally Posted by WHurricane16
This is a travesty, and I'm surprised their isn't much of an uproar. I have Center Ice, so I'll catch the game. But to show the game next week on ESPN Classic as an "Instant Classic"? Ridiculous. This game should be on live! If you are fed up with the crap ESPN do, tell them!

http://msn.espn.go.com/sitetools/s/contact/espntv.html

If everyone in the US who is pissed with them would let them know then maybe they will start making some changes. I don't care if some of you will flame me for posting this, but it doesn't hurt to try.
Yeah, it's a disgrace. I live in Ottawa so I'll be watching it but several of my American friends are furious.

What can I say? ESPN is *****ing biased!

Old
11-22-2003, 06:29 AM
Tony_Gallagher

vCash:
Another stupid mistake by the NHL. They should have bought air time from ESPN if that is possible, forcing them to show it. It would be a huge marketing coup. I can't believe they couldn't get one major US network to show this game live. Long live Bettman.

Old
11-22-2003, 06:29 AM
degroat*

Be pissed all you want but ESPN has contracts with college football conferences that won't allow them to show this game live. If you want to be pissed at anyone, it should be the NHL and the teams playing for not having the game 3 weeks later when there won't be college football to compete with.

FYI... the game will be on ESPN Classic next Saturday.

Old
11-22-2003, 06:33 AM
HughJass*

Quote:
Originally Posted by degroat
Look at my first post.

Old
11-22-2003, 06:37 AM
Liquidrage*

Quote:
Be pissed all you want but ESPN has contracts with college football conferences that won't allow them to show this game live. If you want to be pissed at anyone, it should be the NHL and the teams playing for not having the game 3 weeks later when there won't be college football to compete with.

Excellent point about the scheduling of the game.

Or even do it on Thanksgiving day after the football is over. A 7pm local start time would do it.

PTI ripped the league for not making sure this game is on the air. Like many here I pay for Center Ice so I'll watch it. But that doesn't do the league any good, I already watch 100's of games per year. They need to market their game better and this game could have been the biggest game for the sport in many years. At least ESPN.COM has been running a front page story on it.

Old
11-22-2003, 06:40 AM
HughJass*

Getting back to the scheduling conflict, I can understand that. But to show the game a week later....on ESPN Classic....that's a travesty! At least show they game later that day or the next day on ESPN or ABC. Not every cable provider carries ESPN Classic. This sounds like something they came up with yesterday...

This has been marketed horribly.

Old
11-22-2003, 06:50 AM
PEli*

For those of you looking for Gary Bettman voodoo dolls, e-mail me at garybettmansucks@hotmail.com

Thank you.

Old
11-22-2003, 07:00 AM
punchy1

Correct. The blame lies squarely at the feet of the worst commisioner of all pro sports ever. His list of failures is long its a fact, this is just another major blunder by a guy who was born to make them.

On espn's side, as we watch Disney divest itself from the sport and since ESPN is owned by the very same people it doesn't suprise me in the tiniest bit that they wouldn't do something to try and show this game live.

Old
11-22-2003, 07:05 AM
Hockeyfan02

Quote:
Originally Posted by WHurricane16
Getting back to the scheduling conflict, I can understand that. But to show the game a week later....on ESPN Classic....that's a travesty! At least show they game later that day or the next day on ESPN or ABC. Not every cable provider carries ESPN Classic. This sounds like something they came up with yesterday...

This has been marketed horribly.
I see your point but later today after college football means around 11 when sportscenter usually comes on and most people in the east will be asleep. If you air it tommorow during the NFL games when the game isnt even live, it will get smashed by the NFL period. They should show it on a Tuesday on ESPN in primetime I agree to something of that sort but its horrible planning by the league when they should have made sure it will get aired in the US to draw viewers. I know its HNIC and all but you and I know CBC would make it a special HNIC if it was played on a weekday.

Old
11-22-2003, 08:39 AM
mmbt
Cheeky Monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by punchy1
Correct. The blame lies squarely at the feet of the worst commisioner of all pro sports ever. His list of failures is long its a fact, this is just another major blunder by a guy who was born to make them.
It's awful, just awful. Ever since he took over, the NHL has repeatedly blown opportunities to make progress. After '94, hockey interest in the US had almost never been higher, but then we get the damn lockout. We were force-fed additional expansion despite the early 90's already pushing the talent pool to its limit, because he keeps insisting there's more talent out there. And it's been about half a decade of futility when it comes to him trying to figure out a way to improve the offensive flow of the game; as far as I can tell, he orders a crackdown every year, and then forgets about it a month later.

Given the above, this latest thing is no surprise at all. What does this guy do all day, anyway, because it sure seems like he doesn't do anything at all.

Old
11-22-2003, 10:45 AM
Takeo

College football takes precedence over the NHL both contractually and popularity-wise on ESPN and in the US...just like it should.

Old
11-22-2003, 11:03 AM
Blackadder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takeo21
College football takes precedence over the NHL both contractually and popularity-wise on ESPN and in the US...just like it should.
And not to mention that they could air "Paint drying: Live!" and it would get better ratings than Hockey in the US.

Old
11-22-2003, 11:11 AM
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackadder
And not to mention that they could air "Paint drying: Live!" and it would get better ratings than Hockey in the US.
Wouldn't even have to be live.

Old
11-22-2003, 12:34 PM
Son of Steinbrenner

i think its wrong to kill espn here. the nhl has to know that espn has college football contracts and would not be able to show this game. the nhl should simalcast the game on there website for free. i predict next season this game will be on tv and an american team will be playing edmonton.

Old
11-22-2003, 01:27 PM
golfmade
Go Preds Go

Don't have ESPN Classic

Old
11-22-2003, 01:55 PM
Kirk Muller*

You didn't miss anything. The game was crap.

Old
11-22-2003, 02:00 PM
RI Canuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takeo21
And don't forget women's golf which they are showing now. Since it's Saturday ESPN will not show any highlights of hockey on Sportscenter as well so the American hockey fans get screwed again.

Old
11-22-2003, 02:02 PM
RI Canuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfmade
Don't have ESPN Classic
Same here and my crappy cable company won't offer NHL Center Ice.

Old
11-22-2003, 02:04 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk Muller
You didn't miss anything. The game was crap.
It may have been crap for you, but some of us have never seen Guy LaFleur play, or see Gretzky, Messier, Kurri and Coffey as Oilers.

Looks like Bill Ranford can still play

Old
11-22-2003, 04:10 PM
Drury_Sakic

ESPN is fully to blame..

at the time of the game...the was fricken POKER,,, POKER,, on ESPN 2... GAWD DAMN IT..

grr..

ESPN classic does most of us no good any ways, since many of us do not have it..

GRRR..

they could have at least put it on later tonight, or possibly Sunday..

grr..

GRRRR...

Old
11-22-2003, 04:13 PM
Dr Love

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drury_Sakic
ESPN is fully to blame..

at the time of the game...the was fricken POKER,,, POKER,, on ESPN 2... GAWD DAMN IT..
As has already been explained, it's not ESPN's fault. Currently they have college football on, because they are contractually bound to do so. Complain to the NHL for scheduling the game when they did.

Old
11-22-2003, 04:17 PM
HughJass*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Love
As has already been explained, it's not ESPN's fault. Currently they have college football on, because they are contractually bound to do so. Complain to the NHL for scheduling the game when they did.
But to show the game on ESPN Classic? There is no excuse for that For the record, I'm an American and I hate all college sports.

Old
11-22-2003, 05:41 PM
golfmade
Go Preds Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by RI Canuck
Same here and my crappy cable company won't offer NHL Center Ice.
Same here, although I could switch to sattelite and get it, but I work nights and would never be able to see any of the games, so no point.

Old
11-22-2003, 06:51 PM
I Hate Tie DOMI

Quote:

The temperature at the start of the game was -27 degrees with the windchill. I didn't catch how low it was at the end of the game. I can't even imagine how much colder the game would have been if it was pushed back three weeks into almost the middle of December (in Edmonton I might add). You have got to be kidding me.

Closed Thread