HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Can a Blocker/Trapper be washed?

Old
11-08-2006, 08:20 PM
windflare

vCash: 500
Can a Blocker/Trapper be washed?

My friend just picked up a new blocker and trapper, but they don't smell so good - is there a way to wash them, or should he just spray anti-bacterial deoderant on it?

Thanks!

windflare is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2006, 08:39 PM
sc37

vCash: 700
I hear people take boiling water and run it thru the gloves. I'd assume you would want to dry it with a towel and stuff too.

sc37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2006, 11:55 PM
windflare

Sorry - I meant a USED pair of gloves/blocker.

Boiling water?

windflare is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2006, 07:13 AM
MikeD

absolutly DO NOT totally submerge a glove or blocker into boiling or Hot water. That will break down the protective foams in the glove and some other horrible damage.

Mix a solution of 1 part isopropyl alcohol(rubbing alcohol) to 3 parts water. Mist the inside of the glove heavily. let dry...repeat several times. You can also have the gloves cleaned by an esporta clean gear system or if any one local uses an OZONE cleaning system that is your best option. The anti-bacterial sports gear sprays will do the job but it will take several heavy applications.

Last edited by MikeD: 11-09-2006 at 07:21 AM.
MikeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2006, 02:00 PM
sc37

I see nothing wrong with it...seems like lotta goalies do it.

http://www.goaliestore.com/board/sho...ighlight=water

Old
11-09-2006, 02:10 PM
MikeD

Tell ya what...Do that to your own gloves and let us know how it comes out? OR do you not have any since your prob not a goalie? IF not, I strongly suggest you leave the tending questions to the Goalies. Bad advice can cost someone hundreds of dollars in ruined gear. Its not like our gloves cost 35 bucks a set. Ours are closer to 500.00USD for a decent set.

Just because its posted on a web forum doesnt mean its true or a good idea. You will see suggestions to run your leg pads over with a car to break them in also. Doesnt mean its a great idea. Coming directly from Mark Simmons and Pete Smith(designed the Vaughn pad and now has his own branded name) Putting boiling water or totally submerging the glove in water is NOT a great idea. You seriously reduce the life of the glove, can displace some of the padding that is placed to protect specific areas and can actually damage the foams inside the glove.

Some may do the boiling water as a break in, to clean, etc etc etc If you want to keep the glove for many many seasons DONT DO IT. Some of these guys dont buy their own gear and will get free replacement for the next season. Some have Mom and Dad footing the bill and dont give a rats behind about it. "Mom or Dad will just buy me a new one", attitude. Others are just plain LAZY and dont want to break in a glove properly. Being from the 30 minute sitcom generation if it takes longer than an hour its too friggin hard...Hell, if it isnt game ready off the shelf many wont buy it or whine like little biatches! If you dont care that by seasons end or next that your going to get stingers etc etc etc then be my guest and go for it. personally, I think its a real stupid idea.

The goalie store may have the largest goalie community and lots of great stuff but it also has a TON of the most rediculous garbage to sift through to get at and the largest number of posers, hidden goalie company men and shills out there. You have to use a little common sense and not be ready to take all of whats posted as something handed down by god...For cry'in out loud you have several of the major manufacturers company workers on there with several different screen names. They even post back replies to themselves...wack jobs who dont care about hte individual goalie...just ways to sell more gear.

end of rant.....

Last edited by MikeD: 11-09-2006 at 02:35 PM.
Old
11-09-2006, 03:44 PM
sc37

I've done it before I gave up my goalie aspirations and became a full-time skater. No problem with it..not like I'm soaking the glove in it. Unvelcro the glove open and let a little water on the surface. Then I dried it off quickly. I've cleaned my players gear with soap and water too and supposedly it breaks down stuff. Might shorten the lifespan of it for maybe a session or two, but rather have that than use dirty equipment. As I said before, you keep say submerge, I never said submerge. I said run it thru and dry it off...not much different than your mist. Alcohol also breaks down stuff too, like the glue that helps bonds things together. Also in your previous post your promoting Esporta...well Esporta is a water-based cleaning system which many say ruins their gear..due to the water and the way it's washed. What you would want, if you didnt want to 'ruin' your gear, go for Sani-Sport. It'll sanitize your stuff, but doesn't remove the grime, so it'll look the way it did but it'll be germ-free.

Last edited by sc37: 11-09-2006 at 03:53 PM.
Old
11-09-2006, 03:57 PM
Matt13

This may make mom mad.......

I have done this with a pair of gloves.

The smell you are experiencing is bacteria in the equipment.

Take your blocker or whatever - make sure it is completely free of moisture and leave it in the Freezer over night. This did no damage to my gloves and killed all the bacteria. My gloves smelt 100 times better afterwards.

Matt13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2006, 04:25 PM
MikeD

Isopropyl alcohol will not damage the gloves in any way shape or form. Mixed 1 to 3 it will not affect any binders but will still kill the bacteria. The only apsect of esporta can be an allergic reaction for gear worn against the skin such as a shoulder pad and its long turn around time/dry time. Most shops will not even do leg pads. The problem with some cleaning is that many wait way too long. The bacteria has eaten away and weakened the stitching. On aggressive cleaning it can fall apart. My best advice was the Ozone Gas cleaning offered but its far and few in-between still. The sprays secondary and ANYTHING is better than putting boiling water into a glove. You dont just lose a season or two in the life of the glove. Well taken care of, a well made catch can last 5-7 years. The Hot water treatment can cost you half or more of that life.

First you say you read and assume about the drying. Now you have done so yourself? Which is it and player gloves or goalie? People spend hard earned, large amounts of money on their gear and goalies can tend to have a special attachemnt to their gear. Be sure the advice you give is rock solid.

Last edited by MikeD: 11-09-2006 at 04:31 PM.
Old
11-09-2006, 05:57 PM
sc37

The "I'd assume you want to dry it out" was the sarcasm there...

And I read about it yes...and did it to my gloves. Granted didn't go all out on my goalie gloves that I bought used. Didn't pour it, I sorta splashed it would be more of the word. But still, not so clean water dripping off is a sign that it isn't exactly clean. I've done it with my player gloves though all the way. Dunked it in and out, no problem whatsoever except for dry palms which baseball glove cream fixed.

And on the freezing-- freezing bacteria only stunts the growth and reproduction so once you take it out they sorta start growing again. But if it worked...hey, why not. Just worried about the leather getting crackly and stuff.

I'll add, if it's still warm out and sunny, try taking the gloves out to the deck and air them out. The sun and the UV will help a little with the smell.