HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Ed Snider speaks: 'The Whole Damn Team Stinks'

Old
10-19-2006, 08:15 AM
ArchieIsGod

vCash: 500
Ed Snider speaks: 'The Whole Damn Team Stinks'

http://www.nbc10.com/sports/10110172/detail.html

Snider is pissed!

ArchieIsGod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2006, 08:17 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5872
Anyone see Barkann interview him?

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2006, 08:24 AM
Kaktus*

More changes? Hmmm Hatcher, Rathje, Hitch or Clarke? Nah.... can't be Clarke.

Kaktus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2006, 08:25 AM
iceman42

Amen couldnt have said it better myself.

iceman42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2006, 08:29 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaktus View Post
Quote:
Snider told reporters Wednesday he ordered that three players be cut immediately after that humiliation in Buffalo, a 9-1 loss to the Sabres.

I don't think proreactive actions bodes well for Clarke in this situation. When these three guys were brought in, they were brought in to be contributing members of the team. For Dimitrakos not so much, but he was someone who was on the 2nd line in the playoffs.

Old
10-19-2006, 08:30 AM
ArchieIsGod

Quote:
not that it means anything but the poll to the side asks who should be fired next...72% say clarke, and its funny that snider is one of the choices

ArchieIsGod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2006, 08:35 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArchieIsGod View Post
not that it means anything but the poll to the side asks who should be fired next...72% say clarke, and its funny that snider is one of the choices
People have been wanting Clarke fired ever since he fired Terry Murray. That's never going to change. I'd probably be more happy than sad that it would happen...but if Clarke would get fired that would only show how bad Snider thinks this has gone.

Old
10-19-2006, 08:36 AM
Kaktus*

I was so sad when Lombardi left.

Old
10-19-2006, 08:41 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Quote:
He wouldn't have been made a replacement GM anyways. I bet Holmgren would be the new GM if anything.

Old
10-19-2006, 08:46 AM
MojoJojo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed_Snider
Snider was specifically asked the current team's lack of physical play. His response seemed to harken back to the era of The Broad Street Bullies.

"This may be the new NHL, but the old Flyers are going to come back," he said.
Amen. There are still physical teams out there that win. Calgary for example. We are pretty much the least physical team in the NHL, and ironically are also in last place.

MojoJojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2006, 08:48 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Quote:
Originally Posted by MojoJojo View Post
Amen. There are still physical teams out there that win. Calgary for example. We are pretty much the least physical team in the NHL, and ironically are also in last place.
This is something Snider noted when Barkann interviewed him. He was visably upset that no one stood up for Forsberg when he's been getting pushed around, hence the recall of Ben Eager.

George Parros was on waivers a few weeks ago, if the Avalance didn't get him I would have been interested to see if the Flyers put in a waiver claim on him, because he can actually take a regular shift.

Old
10-19-2006, 08:52 AM
Kaktus*

Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
He wouldn't have been made a replacement GM anyways. I bet Holmgren would be the new GM if anything.
I do not see the difference. Holmgren or Clarke. I do not know if you do.

Old
10-19-2006, 09:03 AM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 1462
Here is another article:

http://www.courierpostonline.com/news/sports/index.html

If Hitchcock is on the hot seat because of the Flyers' poor start, assistant coach John Stevens would be considered his most likely replacement. Stevens led many of the current Flyers, including Jeff Carter, Mike Richards, R.J. Umberger, Joni Pitkanen and Antero Niittymaki, to a Calder Cup title two seasons ago.

Firing Hitchcock with two more years remaining on his contract would be an incredibly bold move for Snider, but not nearly as bold as firing the general manager who, as a player, sold hockey to Philadelphia three decades ago.

Asked how long it might take the Flyers to pull out of their tailspin, Snider made it clear who was holding the hammer.

"I'm hoping by (tonight), but that's just hope," he said. "I don't know how quickly we'll get out of this, but we will, because the buck stops here."

MiamiScreamingEagles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2006, 09:03 AM
ThememanXX
It's a hockey night!

Send a message via AIM to ThememanXX
It's only a matter of time before an 'enforcer' goes on waivers. Ryan Flinn is skating in San Antonio without an NHL deal, not that that will help, but still.

ThememanXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2006, 09:16 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

John Stevens though, I don't know. While he is here for the young players, and I know the Ducks considered him to be their coach, I think he should be right where he is. The kids are the future, but there is enough veterans on the team that might not respond to that. And you can't just tell guys like Forsberg and Hatcher and Gagne to get lost like they did with guys we just waived.

Old
10-19-2006, 09:35 AM
pelts35.com

Quote:
John Stevens though, I don't know. While he is here for the young players, and I know the Ducks considered him to be their coach, I think he should be right where he is. The kids are the future, but there is enough veterans on the team that might not respond to that. And you can't just tell guys like Forsberg and Hatcher and Gagne to get lost like they did with guys we just waived.
If you are looking for a coach that is big on the rough and tough game, Stevens is not your guy.

ThememanXX, Flinn hasn't been an "enforcer" since he had his jaw broken.

If they want an enforcer, how about bringing back a guy like Francis Lessard or Jesse Boulerice.

If Snider does in fact fire Clarke (more likely re-assign him to another position within the organization) then we will now how angry he is.

pelts35.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2006, 09:42 AM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 1462
Quote:
I think the first step with any organization in any sport is to evaluate talent. Is there enough there to meet your goals for the immediate future. If upper management believes so, then the next step is to look at the head coach, Hitchcock in this case. If there is, as the line goes, "failure to communicate" then the appropriate steps must be met. Next up is who would be the replacement and I think a factor is the demeanor of the individual, meaning someone whose personality is different from whom he is replacing. You don't want to follow a hard-*** with another yeller or follow a softie with another softie. If Hitch has the reputation of a screamer or someone who gets down on his players, management may look at someone who is upbeat or calm even if it is a short-term solution. I don't know much about Stevens but he may be that guy who is the calming factor.

Last edited by MiamiScreamingEagles: 10-19-2006 at 10:10 AM.
MiamiScreamingEagles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2006, 09:52 AM
flyingpig
Pay the Troll Toll

Quote:
Originally Posted by MojoJojo View Post
But when Calgary wins, its with the best Goalie in the league and a physical, fast, highly skilled defense. They win 2-1. They have had major problems scoring goals for the last year or so. Right now, they are last in their division and only have one more win than you guys.

Snider has a right to be pissed off. He should be looking aboth both Clarke and Hitch as being accountable. I would be concerned if he really wants to become the Broad Street Bullies again. You need excellent goaltending, skilled defensemen to move the puck in transition when cluthcing and grabbing is going to be called, and team speed.

Neither Carolina, nor Edmonton, nor Buffalo has an extreme physical presence, but was plenty capabale of very physical play in the playoffs, and was fast and talented on both ends of the ice, and had killer goaltending.

Dont get me wrong, Philly needs some backbone right now. Someone probably should have stood up for Forsberg after Peters hit him, becuase he is the star of his team, and the team was being beaten. I dont think it was a dirty hit. Just to try to get emotions going, change the flow, elicit pride etc..

I just dont think that reverting back to a 70's type of team will lead to much success. Both Boston and Montreal are adapting in the opposite direction. Montreal is a fast and deep team. If their goaltending stands up, they will be very dangerous. Boston is re-building because they realized that they were not built properly. They will have a veyr good young, fast and skilled nucleus. They need to confirm their goaltending.

I just think this may be a transition year for Philly, purging some older players and re-building within with the younger skilled players.

Buffalo has built this team for years, well before the rule changes. It starts in Goal. It got Briere and Drury (incredible leader) before the lockout. It was at the bottom, and re-built itself. It now has 14 draft picks on its roster and only TWO free agents. You have a good young nucleus offensive. Nittymaki may be the guy in goal. Your defense needs some change.

flyingpig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2006, 10:55 AM
mooseOAK*

Quote:
Even though he was a pro scout some of the problem players were signed?

mooseOAK* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2006, 11:00 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiScreamingEagles View Post
I think the first step with any organization in any sport is to evaluate talent. Is there enough there to meet your goals for the immediate future. If upper management believes so, then the next step is to look at the head coach, Hitchcock in this case. If there is, as the line goes, "failure to communicate" then the appropriate steps must be met. Next up is who would be the replacement and I think a factor is the demeanor of the individual, meaning someone whose personality is different from whom he is replacing. You don't want to follow a hard-*** with another yeller or follow a softie with another softie. If Hitch has the reputation of a screamer or someone who gets down on his players, management may look at someone who is upbeat or calm even if it is a short-term solution. I don't know much about Stevens but he may be that guy who is the calming factor.

I would look at someone like John Torchetti to be an assistant coach (not the head coach) should any assistants be let go. Not a bad tactician, good special teams coach. When he was an interim for Florida a few years ago they had excellent penalty killing. When he was hired by the Kings to be the interim, that was already a doomed situation, but at least he stopped most of those guys from being quitters.

Old
10-19-2006, 11:09 AM
paxtang

Quote:
Originally Posted by pelts35.com View Post
If you are looking for a coach that is big on the rough and tough game, Stevens is not your guy.

ThememanXX, Flinn hasn't been an "enforcer" since he had his jaw broken.

If they want an enforcer, how about bringing back a guy like Francis Lessard or Jesse Boulerice.

If Snider does in fact fire Clarke (more likely re-assign him to another position within the organization) then we will now how angry he is.
Explain your Stevens comment? When he first started coaching, his teams were not that tough, but the last several years of his tenure the Phantoms led the league in FMs, or were close to it.

paxtang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2006, 11:28 AM
Kaktus*

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooseOAK View Post
Even though he was a pro scout some of the problem players were signed?
I do not think he had anything to do with it. Hatcher and Rathje were clearly Hitch and Clarkes choices. Not to mention Therian.

Old
10-19-2006, 01:27 PM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

vCash: 50
Quote:
This is something Snider noted when Barkann interviewed him. He was visably upset that no one stood up for Forsberg when he's been getting pushed around, hence the recall of Ben Eager.

George Parros was on waivers a few weeks ago, if the Avalance didn't get him I would have been interested to see if the Flyers put in a waiver claim on him, because he can actually take a regular shift.
yeah he can but just dont ask him to drop the gloves.
The man cannot fight. I saw enough of him in Manchester
That said we should not be going back to the 70's type hockey and just say well if we cant win, we will beat you up. That doesnt work, granted we do need to be more physical but you have to be the right kind of physical in a sense.
I really hope we dont deal one of the kids for a quick fix. This team has the talent in place for the most part. Time for the players to stop talking about getting embarassed, we need to play better ect, ect and go out there and do it. enough talk. go out there and play the way you are supposed to play.

Last edited by GoneFullHextall: 10-19-2006 at 02:17 PM.
GoneFullHextall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2006, 01:48 PM
2x4*

Thats the way to do it!
To get a team out of a funk, tell them they suck!

2x4* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2006, 03:11 PM
i am dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel48Briere View Post
Thats the way to do it!
To get a team out of a funk, tell them they suck!
Because sugar-coating the obvious... helps?

i am dave is offline   Reply With Quote