HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

"brief" Clarke rant

Closed Thread

Old
10-19-2006, 08:57 AM
majorbm

vCash: 500
"brief" Clarke rant

Before I publicly rant, nothing personal against Clarke. He was a great player, and at times i liked him as a GM. He's done alot in and for the Flyers organization.

However, Clarke needs to go, now more than ever.

For me, the best microcosm of Clarke’s tenure the past couple years, and the last straw for me, was the resigning of Dennis Gauthier to a 3-yr deal. I'll forgive him for signing Hatcher and Rathje to long term deals, though they aren't really worth their contracts. Maybe he thought the new NHL would only be different for the first month or two, that promises for change will be broken again.

Did the refs revert to the old rule-enforcement standards? No. After 3/4 of a season gone last year, near the trading deadline, it was obvious the new NHL was really new. It was obvious that the Flyers didn't have enough speed, particular on the blue line. Yet, he trades for Dennis Gauthier, another physical, "punishing," slow-footed defensemen.

Still, I'll forgive him for that. Maybe he thought the playoffs would be different, and that the refs would go back to swallowing their whistles and "letting the players play" (one of the most annoying justifications in sports).

Did the refs revert to the old way? No. It was even more obvious in the playoffs that speed and skill rule. It was especially obvious in the Buffalo/Philly series, which I’m sure Clarke was watching, or at least “looking at.” It was also obvious when the conference finals started. The final four teams were Car, Buff, Edm, and SJ (I forget), all of whom are known to have speed. Maybe in the later stages of the playoffs, the penalty calling would be more lax.

The NHL has changed. It was the story of the year. Did Clarke change? No. Instead, in the offseason he gave Dennis Gauthier a 3-yr extension. “Let’s lock up another slow, physical defensemen for too long and too much money.”

The Flyers have great young players, particularly forwards, and on defense Pitkanen should contend for a Norris trophy at some point. I hope the Flyers start out 3-15, or whatever it takes to get Clarke fired before he fires someone else, so that these players can have a good team around them and contend for a Cup someday.

I hope Clarke can stay in the Flyers organization, but the team needs a change that doesn't involve Clarke firing someone, waiving someone, or trading someone away. Right now, it's Clarke that needs to go.

Old
10-19-2006, 09:18 AM
Bob Clarke Fan Club

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by majorbm View Post
Before I publicly rant, nothing personal against Clarke. He was a great player, and at times i liked him as a GM. He's done alot in and for the Flyers organization.

However, Clarke needs to go, now more than ever.

For me, the best microcosm of Clarke’s tenure the past couple years, and the last straw for me, was the resigning of Dennis Gauthier to a 3-yr deal. I'll forgive him for signing Hatcher and Rathje to long term deals, though they aren't really worth their contracts. Maybe he thought the new NHL would only be different for the first month or two, that promises for change will be broken again.

Did the refs revert to the old rule-enforcement standards? No. After 3/4 of a season gone last year, near the trading deadline, it was obvious the new NHL was really new. It was obvious that the Flyers didn't have enough speed, particular on the blue line. Yet, he trades for Dennis Gauthier, another physical, "punishing," slow-footed defensemen.

Still, I'll forgive him for that. Maybe he thought the playoffs would be different, and that the refs would go back to swallowing their whistles and "letting the players play" (one of the most annoying justifications in sports).

Did the refs revert to the old way? No. It was even more obvious in the playoffs that speed and skill rule. It was especially obvious in the Buffalo/Philly series, which I’m sure Clarke was watching, or at least “looking at.” It was also obvious when the conference finals started. The final four teams were Car, Buff, Edm, and SJ (I forget), all of whom are known to have speed. Maybe in the later stages of the playoffs, the penalty calling would be more lax.

The NHL has changed. It was the story of the year. Did Clarke change? No. Instead, in the offseason he gave Dennis Gauthier a 3-yr extension. “Let’s lock up another slow, physical defensemen for too long and too much money.”

The Flyers have great young players, particularly forwards, and on defense Pitkanen should contend for a Norris trophy at some point. I hope the Flyers start out 3-15, or whatever it takes to get Clarke fired before he fires someone else, so that these players can have a good team around them and contend for a Cup someday.

I hope Clarke can stay in the Flyers organization, but the team needs a change that doesn't involve Clarke firing someone, waiving someone, or trading someone away. Right now, it's Clarke that needs to go.

That's a decent rant....I'm one of Clarkies biggest fans and I can't say that I totally disagree with you. That's a pretty simple argument right there but it really does make a lotta sense.

Old
10-19-2006, 09:35 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 50
http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=301718

Stop Feeding the Rumor-Monger

"I wonder if Norstrom has Forsberg's spleen mounted on his wall." - KINGS17

My 50 Favorite Albums of 2014 (sorry it's late)
Closed Thread