HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

What does Staios' extension say about Comrie?

Closed Thread

Old
11-20-2003, 08:14 AM
copperandblue

vCash: 500
What does Staios' extension say about Comrie?

I am curious if anyone else gets the impression that Comrie isn't a team favourite inside the Oiler dressing room?

When he first signed his contract out of Jr., I thought I recalled some rumblings that it didn't go over real well in the Oiler dressing room because a) he got so much money, and b) he was taking a roster spot of a regular without actually proving anything on the ice.

Then with this contract impass, some of the speculation is that he is unhappy with being one of the players singled out by Lowe as not performing in the playoffs. The only blurb that was heard, is when Lowe held his press conference and only briefly listed Comrie as one of the guys that didn't come through. With that the speculation turned to Comrie being ragged on in the dressing room by Lowe. When other players were asked about that they said "absolutely not" and that Lowe did go on a tirade but never singled any player out specifically. The way that episode was described on the radio was that when the players were asked, they reacted almost as if the notion was rediculous before answering.

So now (finally get to my point) we have seen Moreau and Laraque signing long term deals and for less money than they may have made elsewhere, we have seen Smyth sign for probably less than the arbitrator would have given him and now yesterday Staios makes a huge commitment just months before he is elligible for UFA.

I can't help but think that players are in tune with what the other guys plans are and in the case Smyth, Moreau and Laraque signing, they must have known that Comrie was looking for a way out.

Now with Staios, he definately knows that Comrie can't get out of town fast enough and yet he was anxious to stay and was commenting on the Oilers showing a commitment to winning.

Seems to me that if the guy that is percieved to be your most talented player, has ten good years ahead of him, wants out and is clearly going to be traded the remaining players would be hard pressed to look around at their team and think that this is a team that is going to challenge for the cup one day. If your best player wants out then what does it say for the organization and the direction it's taking.

And yet Lowe seems to have these guys wanting to stay. Does it suggest that with in the room, there isn't much respect for Comrie the person (obviously his talent must be appreciated) and in the eyes of some this would be at the very least addition by subtraction when he is gone?

That's my conspiracy theory for the day.

Old
11-20-2003, 09:05 AM
Goil

Send a message via ICQ to Goil
Through all of this, Comrie's biggest mistake (and there have been some good ones) is that he has proven that the name on the back of the jersey is far more important to him than the name on the front. That simply won't fly with a close team like Edmonton.

The team will always welcome anyone who can contribute, but I have a hard time seeing then taking Comrie back with open arms.

He is as good as gone, and maybe that is a positive thing, cause he has shown very little character here in the last 2 months.

Old
11-20-2003, 09:12 AM
goldenchild

I think all it says is that if you do your job, play well and act like a stand up guy the Oilers will do everything they can do to keep you.

Old
11-20-2003, 09:14 AM
Marconius

Quote:
Originally Posted by copperandblue
I am curious if anyone else gets the impression that Comrie isn't a team favourite inside the Oiler dressing room?

When he first signed his contract out of Jr., I thought I recalled some rumblings that it didn't go over real well in the Oiler dressing room because a) he got so much money, and b) he was taking a roster spot of a regular without actually proving anything on the ice.

Then with this contract impass, some of the speculation is that he is unhappy with being one of the players singled out by Lowe as not performing in the playoffs. The only blurb that was heard, is when Lowe held his press conference and only briefly listed Comrie as one of the guys that didn't come through. With that the speculation turned to Comrie being ragged on in the dressing room by Lowe. When other players were asked about that they said "absolutely not" and that Lowe did go on a tirade but never singled any player out specifically. The way that episode was described on the radio was that when the players were asked, they reacted almost as if the notion was rediculous before answering.

So now (finally get to my point) we have seen Moreau and Laraque signing long term deals and for less money than they may have made elsewhere, we have seen Smyth sign for probably less than the arbitrator would have given him and now yesterday Staios makes a huge commitment just months before he is elligible for UFA.

I can't help but think that players are in tune with what the other guys plans are and in the case Smyth, Moreau and Laraque signing, they must have known that Comrie was looking for a way out.

Now with Staios, he definately knows that Comrie can't get out of town fast enough and yet he was anxious to stay and was commenting on the Oilers showing a commitment to winning.

Seems to me that if the guy that is percieved to be your most talented player, has ten good years ahead of him, wants out and is clearly going to be traded the remaining players would be hard pressed to look around at their team and think that this is a team that is going to challenge for the cup one day. If your best player wants out then what does it say for the organization and the direction it's taking.

And yet Lowe seems to have these guys wanting to stay. Does it suggest that with in the room, there isn't much respect for Comrie the person (obviously his talent must be appreciated) and in the eyes of some this would be at the very least addition by subtraction when he is gone?

That's my conspiracy theory for the day.
Good point., I never thought about it like that, but you're absolutely right. You would think a team that lets, arguably, its most talented player go, could not be defined as a team that was committed to winning. The fact that eveyrone else has stepped and believes in the team leads me to believe they don't believe in Comrie

Old
11-20-2003, 10:16 AM
theoil

As much as it pains me I gotta agree with you.

Old
11-20-2003, 10:37 AM
LoudmouthHemskyfan#1

I really don't get these kinda comments. All along it's been pointed to what Lowe and Comrie/Winter have said in the media as a reference. The only times players have spoken, they have been supportive of their teammate and hoped he'd be back soon. I highly doubt that's any different now. They want to win, and realize that their best chance is with him in the lineup. Also, I would venture to say that a fair number of them would probably have scoffed at the qualifying offer that was tendered as well. This has gone from analysis of a situation to looking for reasons to dislike someone. That way, people feel better about themselves if someone like a trade happens. Not the way I do things, but hey, whatever keeps ya sane.......

Old
11-20-2003, 11:00 AM
oilers_guy_eddie

I haven't seen or heard anything that leads me to believe that the rest of the Oilers are too broken up over Comrie's absense. That doesn't prove anything, of course. But Steve Staios mentioned the Oilers' "commitment to winning" both in response to the Oates signing and his decision to sign long-term. If he really felt Comrie was a key to the team, I doubt he'd have picked that particular phrase.

Old
11-20-2003, 11:11 AM
WFHACommish

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilers_guy_eddie
I haven't seen or heard anything that leads me to believe that the rest of the Oilers are too broken up over Comrie's absense. That doesn't prove anything, of course. But Steve Staios mentioned the Oilers' "commitment to winning" both in response to the Oates signing and his decision to sign long-term. If he really felt Comrie was a key to the team, I doubt he'd have picked that particular phrase.
The thing that I"m sure many players are realizing that with CBA coming up, they are willing to sign long term for what seems to be lower than average. But with the future so uncertain, I think most players are realizing might as well sign long term with a contract then have no contract at all. They are alos thinking $2M is not so bad, it's a pretty decent living.

Old
11-20-2003, 01:06 PM
theoil

Quote:
Originally Posted by WFHACommish
They are alos thinking $2M is not so bad, it's a pretty decent living.
I'm thinking they might be able to scrape by without the food stamps?

Old
11-20-2003, 01:17 PM
copperandblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoudmouthHemskyfan#1
I really don't get these kinda comments. All along it's been pointed to what Lowe and Comrie/Winter have said in the media as a reference.
Well that is part of my point. There is a lot of BS to filter through in trying to make sense of the situation and it's up to the individual to figure out what makes the most sense. I was just asking the question because I found the comment about Staios feeling like the team has a commitment to winning interesting.

Going back to the trade deadline when Niinnimaa and Carter were traded, there were a lot (or seemed to be) of guys that really questioned that very thing with this organization. Marchant was clearly the most vocal about it.

Based on that, and drawing from my own experiences playing hockey, I always found that there was that one guy the team looked to that had that little extra bit of talent (up till now it has generally been regarded that Comrie was that guy on the Oilers) and when he was in the line up the team overall felt better about our chances.

Well obviously Comrie is not going to be back and yet Staios still mentioned that he feels the team has a commitment to winning. Putting the two things together made me wonder if Comrie is viewed as importantly in the room as the public generally saw him outside of it.

Quote:
The only times players have spoken, they have been supportive of their teammate and hoped he'd be back soon. I highly doubt that's any different now.
Possibly. It's also possible the players are simply paying lip service because that is what is expected of them as a card carrying NHLPA member, isn't it?

It's kind of along the same lines as a GM saying there is no way he is making a trade, a day before he announces a big deal.

Or an owner saying that he is maintaining his commitment to the GM, while he is quietly interviewing a replacement.

Quote:
They want to win, and realize that their best chance is with him in the lineup.
And this is what I am asking. If they realize their best chance of winning is with Comrie in the line up, and clearly Comrie will never be playing here again, then doesn't that make you wonder about the "commitment to winning" quote that Staios made?

Quote:
Also, I would venture to say that a fair number of them would probably have scoffed at the qualifying offer that was tendered as well.
Perhaps, even probable but what does that have to do with what I asked.

Quote:
This has gone from analysis of a situation to looking for reasons to dislike someone. That way, people feel better about themselves if someone like a trade happens. Not the way I do things, but hey, whatever keeps ya sane.......
Actually it isn't simply looking for a reason to dislike someone or softening the blow when the trade happens.

This has been going on for 2 months now, I expect that 9 out of 10 people out there have formed their opinions, positive or negative, a while ago. I am also sure that everyone has accepted the fact that he will be traded eventually.

This is simply speculating on where the problems lie with Comrie and the Oilers and the question I posed was just another possible spin on it.

Old
11-20-2003, 01:24 PM
oildrop

You need Comrie on the team for the Oilers' best chance at winning anything? I don't think so. The Oilers are doing just fine without Mr.Crybaby. Oates is going to be helping soon too so to say the Oilers wouldn't win anything without Comrie is crazy. Comrie is not a big part of the Oilers and won't be an Oiler for much longer.

Old
11-22-2003, 08:41 AM
kraigus

Send a message via ICQ to kraigus Send a message via MSN to kraigus
Quote:
Originally Posted by copperandblue
Possibly. It's also possible the players are simply paying lip service because that is what is expected of them as a card carrying NHLPA member, isn't it?
I suspect it goes along the line of the GM makes the trades, the players play. Nothing to do with the NHLPA - the players know they can't do a blessed thing either way, so they might as well remain as supportive as possible, in case Comrie *does* come back. Besides, it would also to help Lowe maximise his return in a trade: if a few other Oilers slagged MC publicly, other GMs would have justification to say "he's a dressing room cancer, no Stefan for you, here's a bag of pucks instead".

Old
11-22-2003, 08:57 AM
Oi'll say!

Quote:
Originally Posted by theoil
I'm thinking they might be able to scrape by without the food stamps?
Do you even qualify for food stamps at $2m/year? I thought the cutoff was $1.9M.

Old
11-22-2003, 10:00 AM
creative giant*

Quote:
Originally Posted by oildrop
I don't think so. The Oilers are doing just fine without Mr.Crybaby.
If you have to call him by name please use Pampers. It makes it easier to get a mental picture of him

Closed Thread