HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Interesting article

Old
10-22-2006, 01:24 AM
OrrNumber4

vCash: 500
Interesting article

http://www.outsports.com/entertainme...ookexcerpt.htm

Thoughts? What would you do if you had a homosexual teammate?

OrrNumber4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2006, 03:03 AM
Ti-girl

Send a message via AIM to Ti-girl Send a message via Yahoo to Ti-girl
Well seeing as I actually play with two women who are lesbians, I can say that I really don't have a problem with it.

It doesn't make them better or worse players.

Ti-girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2006, 09:44 AM
MikeD

Dont ask, dont tell...I dont understand why there is a need to proclaim ones sexual preference. Myself, I have no issue with it provided that individual can take just as much of the razzing that a hetero will take in the locker room. maybe more. But, there will always be those who are homophobic so why ruin a team chemistry for the sake of some small personal need. I dont need to know if a person is homo, a cross dresser, whatever. STMI sharing too much information

MikeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2006, 10:00 AM
Heat McManus

Is he/she a good player? Is he/she a goalie? What's his/her pass/shot bias?

I've played with gay men and gay women before. It doesn't really factor into the game. Or atleast it shouldn't.

Heat McManus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2006, 10:17 AM
Hugh Madbrough

I'd treat people the same way whether they are gay or straight. Being on a team does not change that.

Hugh Madbrough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2006, 10:29 AM
Pat

never had a homosexual player on my previous teams, but I don't think it would bother me.
I might even make a joke or two about it from time to time to that person. just to lighten things up for everyone. not everybody is comfortable about those kind of things.

Pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2006, 11:01 AM
EmptyNetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeD View Post
Dont ask, dont tell...I dont understand why there is a need to proclaim ones sexual preference. Myself, I have no issue with it provided that individual can take just as much of the razzing that a hetero will take in the locker room. maybe more. But, there will always be those who are homophobic so why ruin a team chemistry for the sake of some small personal need. I dont need to know if a person is homo, a cross dresser, whatever. STMI sharing too much information
Simply talking about a pro player like this guy, it's much less about who he's having sex with but also who he has a relationship with. I know I passed up a lot of time with my friends when I started dating my wife. Most of the time we were just hanging out together enjoying each other's company. For a gay man who wants to socialize with other gay men I can see it as much more than a small personal need. Besides, if he's pretending to be straight whenever he's with his team I'm sure it becomes a huge burden to be pretending all the time.

To answer the original question, it wouldn't bother me to have a gay team mate. It surprises me a little that this is still an issue.

EmptyNetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2006, 01:03 PM
Happy Pony

It wouldn't be a problem for me, as long as he didn't expect any sort of different treatment.

Happy Pony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2006, 06:07 PM
Evil Ted

Quote:
Originally Posted by superroyain10 View Post
http://www.outsports.com/entertainme...ookexcerpt.htm

Thoughts? What would you do if you had a homosexual teammate?
It shouldnt make a difference, if everyone comes to the rink to play hockey who cares thats all that matters.

Evil Ted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2006, 09:32 PM
Toonces
The beer kitty

Who gives a ****?

I've played with all sorts of people and it's all good. And before anyone asks, Gay people don't hit on strait people, they have an uncanny ability to tell. I dunno how.

Toonces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2006, 09:33 PM
Hockeylover

It would not matter to me either. I'm only interested in his hockey skills and how he interacts with me.

Hockeylover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2006, 09:48 PM
Doctor Hook

Send a message via AIM to Doctor Hook
As long as he's not peeping my wang, I wouldn't care.

Doctor Hook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2006, 09:54 PM
crashlanding

It doesn't matter and I feel bad for this guy because he can't have a normal life in the NHL, he has to sneak around and that has to cause some added stress.

I don't think there would be that big of a problem if he was to come out, but if I'm wrong he could really jeopardize his career if it's viewed as him looking for attention or making himself a distracton. The article states that he's a respected veteran and a Cup winner so it would make sense for the first person to come out to be someone of his stature. Imagine if someone like Chris Chelios (I'm not saying he is, just comparing stature) came out, would anyone question his leadership? Would they question his commitment to the team? All that would happen is it would become easier for younger players in a similar situation to live their lives and focus on their hockey better.

crashlanding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2006, 03:09 PM
MikeD

Just stop hiding and do your thing. Its one thing to just be yourself and another to make an announcement about it.

MikeD is offline   Reply With Quote