HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Face of the Oilers?

Closed Thread

Old
11-21-2003, 06:31 AM
thome_26
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to thome_26
Face of the Oilers?

Who do you think of when you think of all time Canadians? Richard. Who do you think of when you think of the Penguins? Mario. Dallas? Modano. Toronto? Sundin.

So I'll ask this. Who is it for the Oilers? Really in my mind there is only three choices. Gretzky, Messier, or Lowe.

My pick goes to Lowe. He's the ultimate Oiler. He played more seasons as an Oiler I believe. He was the first ever pick. He's served in pretty much any area (player, asst. and head coach, GM). To me Lowe is the man for the Oilers. Not Gretz or Messier, as they are now involved in other organizations. What do you guys think??

Old
11-21-2003, 06:39 AM
Oiltalk

Gretzky is the easy choice here.

Old
11-21-2003, 06:55 AM
Bohologo

Two votes for Lowe

Let's not forget Gretz never signed here as a free agent, or came back to the team in another capacity. He's putting all his cash (some of it earned in Oil town) into some team in Arizona. I love Wayne, but he's made no efforts (until tomorrow) to give something back.

Lowe is living here when he doesn't need to (could have gone to NY), and is imbuing the current team with his toughness (bye Poti), competitiveness (bye Carter), and devotion to the Oil drop (stick around Staios, Smytty).

Lowe is shaping this team in his image, and I think it looks good.

Old
11-21-2003, 07:07 AM
WFHACommish

Well i think right now. Lowe is. However only within the Edmonton Community. I guess he has a lower profile than the likes of Messier, Gretzky, Modano Lemiuex as he hasn't done score a bunch.

He was EDM's 1st pick.
It made better sense to him to pick EDM over NYR. NY isn't exactly the best place to raise a family. EDM is a smaller closer knit community, more of a family style city.

Things just snowballed from there. Assistant coach one year, then head coach was offered when (Ron) Low couldn't be signed. Then the year after, Slats left due to his $2M payroll. I guess it's karma.

Too bad Gretz didn't invest in EDM become an owner up here. Then again, he would have to deal with 30 or so other ownders.

Oh well, let's not get to carried off.
LOWE IS THE MAN.

Old
11-21-2003, 07:12 AM
gpearson1968

Let's not forget that Lowe scored the 1st ever Edmonton Oiler Goal, way back when.

Cheers,
Geoff.

Old
11-21-2003, 07:17 AM
dawgbone

Send a message via ICQ to dawgbone Send a message via MSN to dawgbone
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bohologo
Let's not forget Gretz never signed here as a free agent, or came back to the team in another capacity. He's putting all his cash (some of it earned in Oil town) into some team in Arizona. I love Wayne, but he's made no efforts (until tomorrow) to give something back.

Lowe is living here when he doesn't need to (could have gone to NY), and is imbuing the current team with his toughness (bye Poti), competitiveness (bye Carter), and devotion to the Oil drop (stick around Staios, Smytty).

Let's also not forget that Gretzky has been more about the game than about anything else. He is giving back... but he is giving back to the NHL.

He is in Phoenix not to own some team in Arizona... he is in phoenix to once again try and help the game grow. Edmonton does not need help selling the game... sure it would be nice for nostalgia and that, but it is not necessary.

Old
11-21-2003, 07:21 AM
Oiltalk

Quote:

I agree with all of that, but it's easy for us Oiler fans to sit back here and say Lowe, because of what he has done for the team and all, but if you ask fans from other teams I'm sure Gretz will have this one won, becuase of past success.

To me other fans have to have their say to figure out the true face of the Oilers franchise.

Old
11-21-2003, 07:28 AM
Digger12

Strictly as a player, Gretzky will always epitomize the ultimate Oiler that I grew up watching and listening to on the radio in my bedroom as a kid.

Past that though, you have to say Lowe for the level of commitment he's shown to this franchise over the course of the last 25 years. He was here at the beginning, and he's here now.

Old
11-21-2003, 08:01 AM
Oilhitch

Lowe is the heart and soul of the team. He is Mr. Oiler

Old
11-21-2003, 08:18 AM
USC Trojans
I have a plan.

As a player, as a coach, as a GM....Kevin Lowe has done remarkable things for the team.
Second would be Gretz...and a close third would be Messier.

Old
11-21-2003, 08:36 AM
kruezer

Well if your saying 'face' it has to be Gretzky. Lowe may be the heart and soul, but thats alot different. When I think of the Oilers, I think of Gretzky first off.

PS - I sure wouldn't call Sundin the 'face' of Toronto if it is an all-time thing.

Old
11-21-2003, 09:33 AM
ZIM

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by chit94
Lowe is the heart and soul of the team. He is Mr. Oiler
For me it's Gretzky. However the best thing I ever saw an Oiler do was done by Lowe. Playing against LA (as best I recall) an LA player was taking liberties. As the players were skating around before the start of the 3rd period (again maybe wrong period) Lowe skated across the red line and attacked the LA player. He was tossed out of course but he sent a message about what playing against the Oilers meant. No one played harder than he did.

Old
11-21-2003, 09:40 AM
Yanner39

Pouzar.

Just kidding. I wanna say Gretz but I have to go with Kevin Lowe.

For some reason, I also have trouble seeing Dougie Weight in a Blues uniform. He's been gone for a few years now, but it's still strange.

Old
11-21-2003, 09:45 AM
gpearson1968

[QUOTE=Dr. van Nostrin]Pouzar.
QUOTE]

Nah, it was Klima !!!

Old
11-21-2003, 10:26 AM
nikeisevil

Send a message via MSN to nikeisevil
Lowe is the face of the Oilers franchise. I agree.

Gretzky is the face of the Dynasty years.

Who's today's "active" face?

Smyth? Hemsky? Staios?

Old
11-21-2003, 11:00 AM
Oiltalk

Quote:
Originally Posted by kruezer
Well if your saying 'face' it has to be Gretzky. Lowe may be the heart and soul, but thats alot different. When I think of the Oilers, I think of Gretzky first off.

PS - I sure wouldn't call Sundin the 'face' of Toronto if it is an all-time thing.
Exactly my point. When I think of Oilers, I think Gretzky. When I think of this year, I think of Lowe.

Old
11-21-2003, 11:23 AM
Digger12

Quote:
Originally Posted by kruezer

If you had to pick a 'face of the Flames', who would you go with?

For me it's always Lanny, carrying the cup over his head for the first and last time. It's all over the front cover of one of my old NHL Guide & Record books.

Old
11-21-2003, 11:33 AM
nikeisevil

Send a message via MSN to nikeisevil
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digger12

For me it's always Lanny, carrying the cup over his head for the first and last time. It's all over the front cover of one of my old NHL Guide & Record books.
Definitely Lanny.

Nothing is greater than seeing a western team steal one of Toronto's players and make them their own.

Old
11-21-2003, 06:41 PM
creative giant*

Quote:

Gretz gave so much when he was here there was nothing left to give to this community. Four stanley cups, put the city on the map, tears when he left, i think he just wanted to share himself with the rest of the hockey world. we got so much from him - the guy cried on international tv when he left. Other than niinimaa, i haven't seen anyone look that sad to leave this team. If lowe is doing a good job shaping this team, props to him, but that doesn't take anything away from wayne.

Old
11-21-2003, 07:35 PM
zamboni

Fuhr should get some mention.

Old
11-21-2003, 09:23 PM
kruezer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digger12

I can agree, Lanny was great on other teams, but him on the Flames was just memorable, if anyone is pushing him its gotta be MacInnis though, but he may be more the 'heart and soul' type as well.

Old
11-21-2003, 09:28 PM
shazata69

vCash:
Comrie

Mike Comrie

Old
11-22-2003, 04:13 AM
Oiltalk

Quote:
Originally Posted by shazata69
Mike Comrie
Ironically it seems that he is this years face of the Oilers, because whenever somebody thinks Oilers this year they think of that holdout.

Old
11-22-2003, 05:47 AM
Izzy4Real

I would say Lowe over all (First overall pick, first goal, defensive rock, Captain, Longest Serving Oiler, Coach, GM), and even in the dynasty years it wasnt Gretzky.

In the dynasty years it was Messier, he never gave up, was a hometown boy, a relentles physical monster who scared the **** out of any opponent who crossed him, a great defensive player and an offensive catalyst.

Gretzky was the best offensive player ever, but he was also a pansy and dived way too much, I'm not trying to take anything away from him, he's the best player ever, but Mess is the quintisential Oiler.

The face of the 90's was Weight, in 2000? who knows? Maybe Brewer, Torres, or Hemsky, but I'm gonna cross my fingers and say David Legwand.

Old
11-22-2003, 05:57 AM
Allan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izzy4Real
The face of the 90's was Weight, in 2000? who knows? Maybe Brewer, Torres, or Hemsky, but I'm gonna cross my fingers and say David Legwand.
I think Kelly Buchberger deserves consideration for that one. I'm crossing my fingers for Jarrett Stoll this decade, for the same reason as Messier, Bucky, and MacT - they just wouldn't give in.

Closed Thread