HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Guillaume Latendresse, honestly?

Old
10-20-2006, 07:15 AM
BJCOLLINS

vCash: 500
Guillaume Latendresse, honestly?

Let me say this, I really like this kid.

Latendresse has played 6 games with 3 remaining before a decision has to be made, do we keep him or send him back to jr.

So far he has not done anything wrong but has not impressed like say Kopitar in LA(who is getting better minutes and pp time) plus he has not been a player we could not do without.

So lets look at this, without all the emotional baggage some fans bring. Guillaume will probably become a 25-30 goal guy in time....my question is this, do we keep GL and the 10 to 15 points he may put up this year or do we save this year of eligibility and send him to jr. knowing that his 25-30 goals will be more valuable to the Habs in the 7th year of his stay with us. It seems to be fairly obvious that we would want a 26 year old, 60-70 point, power forward GL Vs a tentative GL who gets 10-15 pts. used sparingly.

So the argument then becomes is jr. going to teach GL anything he doesn't already know. There are pros and cons for sure.....he should be able to dominate in the Q, more so than last year, and there's something to be said for being the #1 go-to guy on your club. With the Habs, one could debate, GL has a sharper learning curve and why not suffer through this year with him Vs next year. Also at this pace he is going to end up in the press box watching games. I'd hate to see that.

So that's the player, what are the benefits to the club.
With Downey maybe gone for good and GL sent down that's 2 spots, given one is a press box seat currently(see Garth Murray Vs Downey). We have Chipper and Lapierre who will be filling 3rd 4th line duties with the Habs soon and who are better suited for those roles. Plus waiver pick up's and trades are an option since Chip/Laps can easily be sent up & down.

IMHO I would rather have GL as a 1st or 2nd line power forward in year 7 than waste him on 4th line duty this year. I wish he was tearing it up either physically or statistically so that this discussion would be moot but as it stands know BG has three games left to make the call.

Last edited by BJCOLLINS: 10-20-2006 at 05:23 PM.
BJCOLLINS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2006, 07:19 AM
WeThreeKings
DJ Nikita

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
I'd rather have Kotstitsyn than Samsonov.

WeThreeKings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2006, 07:23 AM
Joe Cole

We could save a year before he becomes a UFA if we send him down, but we have to pay him his full salary and have it count against our cap.

So... that bridge is already crossed. The team has decided he is staying all year.

I believe that GL, the player, would benefit from playing in the AHL, but that too is a moot point, he is not eligible. So far he cannot contribute in the NHL. Not even with bodychecks.

We might as well just forget about him for now, and let him makes slow progress on the fourth line, because nothing can happen with him. He is here to stay.

The only possiblity is that we release him to play at the WJC. Afterwards, he comes right back to the Habs.

Joe Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
BJCOLLINS

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
I'd rather have Kotstitsyn than Samsonov.
The way I see it we have Sammy for 2 years so I might aswell accept that and be patient. I'm sure he'll come around.

Old
Le Tricolore
Boo! Booooo!

I'd rather have Ovechkin than Murray.

While I was pulling for Kosty to make the team, I think choosing Latendresse was the smart idea. He may not be racking up points and playing too well now, but give him some more time. He'll be playing on the third line tomorrow, and should have more ice time, and offensive opportunities.

Lats will be fine.

Le Tricolore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2006, 07:30 AM
Tuggy

Let the kid play. It's not like he's hurting our team or we are off to a terrible start. Anyone who thought he would tear the league up clearly don't know what they are talking about. Personally I think this is a good situation for him because I don't he has anything left to learn in juniors.

Tuggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2006, 07:35 AM
WeThreeKings
DJ Nikita

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Latendresse had his best game against Chicago, it's only a matter of time. However, that being said, I still wish Kotstitsyn was there competing rather than Samsonov playing and getting benched.

WeThreeKings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2006, 07:39 AM
Darz

I have a hunch that managment has already made a decision to send Latendresse back to junior. The 9 games in the NHL will hopeful serve Lats well, as far as how to condition himself, and what parts of his game to work on and such. It gives him sort of a preview of what is to come.

Also Latendresse will get a chance to be a big part of the Canada's junior team this year, which will, I'm sure keep him from getting to 'bored' in junior.

10-20-2006, 07:41 AM
Habber

I don't think the whole year 7 arguement is relative at all. A lot can happen in 7 years. The focus should be on what's best for Latendresse right now, and what's best for this progression towards a top 6 player. IMO that's having him play in the NHL. His big problem right now is having trouble adjusting to NHL speed and playing solid defensively. Junior won't help either of those.

I really like the idea of him playing WJC. It's not going to hurt the Habs having him gone, and may give him just the shot of confidence he needs to effective down the stretch.

Habber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2006, 07:45 AM
Joe Cole

To repeat myself....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Cole View Post
We could save a year before he becomes a UFA if we send him down, but we have to pay him his full salary and have it count against our cap.

So... that bridge is already crossed. The team has decided he is staying all year..

Joe Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2006, 07:46 AM
Netro

The most important question is: What is best for his development?

Personally, from what I have seen, he is, at this point, to slow for the NHL. I'd prefer to see him play a ton of minutes in junior, work on his skating, & play a leadership role at the WJHC. BUT, this is just my opinion, does not make it right or wrong. Carbo, Gainey et al may think differently.

Sure, there have been 18/19 year old players (e.g. Joe Thornton) that have spent the entire rookie season playing limited minutes on the 4th line, but these are exceptions. Thornton dominated the OHL at 18, Latendresse has not yet dominated the QMJHL.

Netro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2006, 07:53 AM
BOB the Builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Netro View Post
The most important question is: What is best for his development?

Personally, from what I have seen, he is, at this point, to slow for the NHL. I'd prefer to see him play a ton of minutes in junior, work on his skating, & play a leadership role at the WJHC. BUT, this is just my opinion, does not make it right or wrong. Carbo, Gainey et al may think differently.

Sure, there have been 18/19 year old players (e.g. Joe Thornton) that have spent the entire rookie season playing limited minutes on the 4th line, but these are exceptions. Thornton dominated the OHL at 18, Latendresse has not yet dominated the QMJHL.

He'll be here the whole year..except for when we send him to the WJC..

BOB the Builder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2006, 08:10 AM
BJCOLLINS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darz View Post
I have a hunch that managment has already made a decision to send Latendresse back to junior. The 9 games in the NHL will hopeful serve Lats well, as far as how to condition himself, and what parts of his game to work on and such. It gives him sort of a preview of what is to come.

Also Latendresse will get a chance to be a big part of the Canada's junior team this year, which will, I'm sure keep him from getting to 'bored' in junior.
Darz can you clarify the eligibility issue. It is my understanding that if a first year player plays less than 10 games... THAT year's status doesn't count against the 7 years of club eligibly rights. Much like the rookie award issue, if GL is sent down next year he is still listed as a rookie.

Old
10-20-2006, 08:12 AM
waffledave
waffledave, from hf

I heard an interesting rumour...That he will be sent back to junior but traded to Patrick Roy's junior team where Patrick will make sure he develops well. Probably BS but I think that would be the ultimate best for his development.

waffledave
waffledave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2006, 08:14 AM
Duff88

Quote:
Originally Posted by BJCOLLINS View Post
Darz can you clarify the eligibility issue. It is my understanding that if a first year player plays less than 10 games... THAT year's status doesn't count against the 7 years of club eligibly rights. Much like the rookie award issue, if GL is sent down next year he is still listed as a rookie.
I'm not Darz, but I can confirm that you are right on both questions.

Duff88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2006, 08:18 AM
BJCOLLINS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duff88 View Post
I'm not Darz, but I can confirm that you are right on both questions.
Thanks.

Old
10-20-2006, 08:24 AM
rocketlives

BG and Carbo have already stated that GL wasn't going back to Drummondville. The 9-game limit won't even be taken into consideration. They will break him in slowly as the Wild did with Bouchard.

Maybe he'll go to the World Junior Tournament in December but he'll be back with the Habs after the tournament. Latendresse won't rot on the fourth line more than a year. Next year, if he doesn't earn a spot on the first three lines, I bet he'll start the season with the Bulldogs in Hamilton.

Last edited by rocketlives: 10-20-2006 at 08:31 AM.
rocketlives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2006, 08:33 AM
fatmax

I don't understand why people think he's wasting his time on the 4th line!

Right now, he isn't 1st or 2nd line material. In order to be a good power forward, you MUST use your shoulder in the offensive zone, a thing that can easily be apply on the fourth line (especially with players like Begin, Murray & Downey) Latendresse showed us that he could do that in preseason, but since the Dimaio incident, Latendresse doesn't hit anymore! ALso, Latendresse's really, really slow.

My honest opinion is that the habs would've been a better team with Kost or Ferland than with Latendresse, however, I think he can learn more at a pro level, as long as he still believes in him and that the fact that every game night the fact that he's not NHL material yet doesn't bug him and the fans/media doesn't put extra pressure on him!

Briefly, if we (media/fans) leave his current year's development off the radar, he should be better next year

fatmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2006, 08:33 AM

HE'S STAYING ALL YEAR...

Get over it, Carbonneau has said as much, even in Carbonneau's mind Latendresse should of made the team last year. There's even been talk of a clause in his contract that states he'll stay all year (don't know how credible that is).

I find it funny some people have so many observations to make about Latendresses' play in the limited minutes he's getting. If we were to evaluate Gl's play thus far, it would have to be an incomplete note because he hasn't had the chance to be what he was drafted to be, an offensive player. The coaching staff is letting him learn the speed of the game on the 4th line, they're not trying to overwhelm him, once he shows that he's 'caught up' in the game, he'll get a promotion, then and only then can a true evaluation of his game take place.

I'm sorry, GL's always been an offensive player...It's asking alot of a 19 yr old to completely change his game and way of thinking on the ice to play a 4th line role. Everyone knows that when you're playing on the 4th line, you're main goal is to not get scored on by the opposition. It's gotta be tough for him to get adjusted to that. I really don't know what some of you were expecting from his early this season, especially on the 4th line playing 5-8 minutes a game

I also don't get the argument that he needs to be sent down to juniors to work on his skating? How does that make sense, is it only in junior that one can work on his skating?

Like I said, it's not his skating that's limiting him right now...it's his sense of anticipation, the games gotten faster, decisions have to be made faster, he's having to adjust to that...it'll come, just be patient.

Has he been any worse than Garth Murray? Or Sergei Samsonov? I don't think so Just let the kid be, I knew this would happen when he made the team...the same people that did so much to put him on the team, are going to be the same people trying to send him back down.

I don't see what GL has to gain going back to Drummondville, correct me if i'm wrong but they aren't even a powerhouse in the Q much less a memorial cup hopeful...worse case scenario, he goes down to play for Canada at the WJC.

Point is, he's staying all year, because of the cap. It's a dumb move to send him back down after he's signed his contract, that's bad cap management...they decided to keep him so he's on the team for better or worse.

I dont knkow about you guys but i'll take GL playing 5-8 mins a game and practicing with Guy Carbonneau, Kirk Muller and Doug Jarvis over playing for Dominic Ricard in Drummondville.

Typical habfan reaction...we'll build our 'heroes' up, then bring them down at the slightest sign of adversity.

Weak

417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2006, 08:34 AM
toshiro
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via Yahoo to toshiro
Who says that he isnt learning and working on his skating?

toshiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2006, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toshiro View Post
Who says that he isnt learning and working on his skating?
Precisely...and why would he have to be sent to juniors to work on this?

If that's the case, wouldn't the best situation be for him to be in the NHL? Learning the tricks of the trade from established NHL players.

Nevermind his production right now, that's not even important. What he's learning sitting on the bench, in practices, on the road, in the hotel room, etc...is worth more than trying to score a goal a game in the Q.

I want to ask a question to the people who want him sent down?

What are you expecting, given his role on the 4th line, right now?
What is it that GL's not doing correctly than you want him back in juniors?

I'd love to know.

Old
10-20-2006, 08:43 AM
habfan4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuggy View Post
Let the kid play. It's not like he's hurting our team or we are off to a terrible start. Anyone who thought he would tear the league up clearly don't know what they are talking about. Personally I think this is a good situation for him because I don't he has anything left to learn in juniors.
Bingo.

Latendresse is learning the NHL game, he's playing on an energy line and he's getting an opportunity to practice with and learn from Pros. It's not about him scoring a tonne in his first year. Hopefully it's about him emulating the work ethic of guy like Begin, learning how to play D from Carbonneau & Co., getting scoring pointers from Muller etc... etc... In short, it's about his development not his stats.

habfan4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2006, 08:51 AM
skidboot

Since he is up here for the season, lets hope he can improve his game every time out and start to push the guys on the 1st, 2nd and 3rd lines in time.

So far so good and the best is yet to come.

Patience guys.

skidboot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2006, 08:56 AM

I'd love for anyone to find me a rookie in the NHL playing 5-8 minutes a game, who's doing much of anything.

Do you seriously think that Anze Kopitar would have as much points if he were playing on the 4th line?

The problem here isn't Latendresses' play. It's the unrealalistic expectations from fickle fans (not singling out any of you btw).

I'm so sick of hearing people ask what's wrong with him.

Old
10-20-2006, 08:56 AM
mcphee

Quote:
Originally Posted by habfan4 View Post
Bingo.

Latendresse is learning the NHL game, he's playing on an energy line and he's getting an opportunity to practice with and learn from Pros. It's not about him scoring a tonne in his first year. Hopefully it's about him emulating the work ethic of guy like Begin, learning how to play D from Carbonneau & Co., getting scoring pointers from Muller etc... etc... In short, it's about his development not his stats.
He didn't suddenly lose the qualities that won him a spot. So something else is going on. I see a guy so concerned with not doing something wrong that he can't do anything right.

Purely from watching what a guy can contribute, he and Samsonov are lost right now. In that Sammy's here for 2 years, he's produced before, it's a matter of the guy finding his way, or the staff helping him adress whatever is going wrong. Maybe line juggling will help, maybe he needs to simplify, but I'm confident the guys on the staff can work with him.

Lats,imo, is so tight, trying to read the play and figure where he's supposed to be, that he gets everywhere late. He isn't finishing his checks because he doesn't hit the line with his feet moving, he's checking to see if he's supposed to pursue or not. If I'm right, and it's a matter of confidence making him play tentatively, great, that's something Carbo and Muller would understand and adress.

mcphee is offline   Reply With Quote