HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Guillaume Latendresse, honestly?

Old
10-20-2006, 09:57 AM
mcphee

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 417 View Post
I'd love for anyone to find me a rookie in the NHL playing 5-8 minutes a game, who's doing much of anything.

Do you seriously think that Anze Kopitar would have as much points if he were playing on the 4th line?

The problem here isn't Latendresses' play. It's the unrealalistic expectations from fickle fans (not singling out any of you btw).

I'm so sick of hearing people ask what's wrong with him.

but really, waddaya think's wrong with him ?

mcphee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2006, 10:00 AM
skidboot

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcphee View Post
He didn't suddenly lose the qualities that won him a spot. So something else is going on. I see a guy so concerned with not doing something wrong that he can't do anything right.

Purely from watching what a guy can contribute, he and Samsonov are lost right now. In that Sammy's here for 2 years, he's produced before, it's a matter of the guy finding his way, or the staff helping him adress whatever is going wrong. Maybe line juggling will help, maybe he needs to simplify, but I'm confident the guys on the staff can work with him.

Lats,imo, is so tight, trying to read the play and figure where he's supposed to be, that he gets everywhere late. He isn't finishing his checks because he doesn't hit the line with his feet moving, he's checking to see if he's supposed to pursue or not. If I'm right, and it's a matter of confidence making him play tentatively, great, that's something Carbo and Muller would understand and adress.

Have to agree McPhee. He seems to play tentatively and not "let it fly" out there. He has to trust his instincts and skills and not be afraid to make a mistake.

So far so good though......he's what? 19? Just graduated HS? Everything that is the NHL might be overwhelming to him right now.

BTW does anyone else think that maybe that DiMaio hit might be on his mind???

skidboot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2006, 10:02 AM

Quote:
but really, waddaya think's wrong with him ?
I think you nailed it right here:

'Lats,imo, is so tight, trying to read the play and figure where he's supposed to be, that he gets everywhere late. He isn't finishing his checks because he doesn't hit the line with his feet moving, he's checking to see if he's supposed to pursue or not. If I'm right, and it's a matter of confidence making him play tentatively, great, that's something Carbo and Muller would understand and adress. '

Especially the part I highlighted...he's a step behind because he's thinking rather than reacting, and it's the first time in his hockey career he's ever done that, and that's a hard thing to do for a 19 year old, nevermind a 22 or 23 yr old rookie.

417 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2006, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skidboot View Post
Have to agree McPhee. He seems to play tentatively and not "let it fly" out there. He has to trust his instincts and skills and not be afraid to make a mistake.

So far so good though......he's what? 19? Just graduated HS? Everything that is the NHL might be overwhelming to him right now.

BTW does anyone else think that maybe that DiMaio hit might be on his mind???
Nope. I bet it's not the first time he's layed someone out.

He is playinig tentatively...this is a guy that in preseason could let it fly because he was trying to make the team, and preseason games have no effect in terms of standings. It's a different game now, and he's adjusting, seems normal to me.

Sorry, I know you were asking McPhee the question.

Old
10-20-2006, 10:07 AM
hockeyprincess

however, Lats is going to be remembered as the rookie who made Robbie DiMaio retire.

hockeyprincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2006, 10:08 AM
Harry Kakalovich

Clarification: Latendresse - Can Habs send him down?

Hi, I was just wondering if anybody knows if the Habs can send down Latendresse after 9 games or not. I know Pittsburgh can send Jordan Staal back to junior. Can the Habs do this with Latendresse, or is he here for the year? Thx.

Harry Kakalovich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2006, 10:08 AM
habfan4

Quote:
He didn't suddenly lose the qualities that won him a spot. So something else is going on. I see a guy so concerned with not doing something wrong that he can't do anything right.

Purely from watching what a guy can contribute, he and Samsonov are lost right now. In that Sammy's here for 2 years, he's produced before, it's a matter of the guy finding his way, or the staff helping him adress whatever is going wrong. Maybe line juggling will help, maybe he needs to simplify, but I'm confident the guys on the staff can work with him.

Lats,imo, is so tight, trying to read the play and figure where he's supposed to be, that he gets everywhere late. He isn't finishing his checks because he doesn't hit the line with his feet moving, he's checking to see if he's supposed to pursue or not. If I'm right, and it's a matter of confidence making him play tentatively, great, that's something Carbo and Muller would understand and adress.
Has his level of play dropped off since he won a spot? Perhaps. But this isn't pre-season/training camp.

IMO he's simply taking some time adjusting to the NHL, which should not be surprising for a kid whose making the jump from juniors. I really don't think his performance to date has been that disappointing. He's been given a limited role and looks a little star struck, but really no more than Komisarek when he broke in. It's a question of patience and expectations, I want this kid to learn the game and if that means he watches most of it from the bench (or even the press box) it's still an improvement over what he can learn in the Q.

habfan4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2006, 10:09 AM
skidboot

No problemo 417.

Has DiMaio been back in the Lineup? Know what I mean? Maybe, just maybe it could be playing with him. I bet he has laid someout but has he ended someone's career with a hit?

He has to trust his skills out there.

skidboot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2006, 10:10 AM
F. Duchemin

Send a message via MSN to F. Duchemin
I think there is a clause in is contract that we cant send him down...

PS : I didnt read is contract.... so im not sure and only heard that on radio. CKAC. Im not sure of everything i say.

F. Duchemin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2006, 10:13 AM
habfan4

Quote:
Originally Posted by F. Duchemin View Post
I think there is a clause in is contract that we cant send him down...

PS : I didnt read is contract.... so im not sure and only heard that on radio. CKAC. Im not sure of everything i say.
That clause seems unlikely, as I understand it all rookie/entry level contracts are two-way per the CBA.

habfan4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2006, 10:15 AM
Marksman

Yes they can ... although Gainey (was it) did make a statement, if he signs he will stay with the big club entire season. Sending him down regardless makes it look just bargaining technique... not very classy.

Marksman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2006, 10:15 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

vCash: 256
Yes we can send him down after 9 games ,not to hamilton only back to the juniors

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2006, 10:18 AM
terreur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marksman View Post
Yes they can ... although Gainey (was it) did make a statement, if he signs he will stay with the big club entire season. Sending him down regardless makes it look just bargaining technique... not very classy.
The team did make a statemant... but i'm pretty sure it was Carbo during the preseason that said that if Latendresse maked the team, it was going to be for the full year, not only for the 9 games tryout.

terreur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2006, 10:20 AM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

Actually, we can send him down ANYTIME... but as you say, only to junior.

As habfan4 said, there is no such thing as a clause about him staying up, such clauses would not be allowed under the CBA.

The only relevance of the 9 game mark is that past that is when he officially loses a year off his contract and his free agency eligibility. But you could send him down after 7 games, after 11, after 39, or after 81, anytime you want to. Of course, after game 73 of the NHL season or so, perhaps Drummondville will be eliminated from the QMJHL playoffs, at which point we actually could send him to Hamilton (just to be technical about it).

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2006, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skidboot View Post
No problemo 417.

Has DiMaio been back in the Lineup? Know what I mean? Maybe, just maybe it could be playing with him. I bet he has laid someout but has he ended someone's career with a hit?

He has to trust his skills out there.
Maybe it would affected him had he layed out Brad Richards...but Rob DiMaio?

No offense to him, he was a serviceable player in the NHL for a long time, but I doubt Latendresse is having sleepless nights over what he did to him. It's part of the game.

Old
10-20-2006, 10:28 AM
mcphee

Quote:
Originally Posted by habfan4 View Post
Has his level of play dropped off since he won a spot? Perhaps. But this isn't pre-season/training camp.

IMO he's simply taking some time adjusting to the NHL, which should not be surprising for a kid whose making the jump from juniors. I really don't think his performance to date has been that disappointing. He's been given a limited role and looks a little star struck, but really no more than Komisarek when he broke in. It's a question of patience and expectations, I want this kid to learn the game and if that means he watches most of it from the bench (or even the press box) it's still an improvement over what he can learn in the Q.
Your last sentence is the key,imo. I keep thinking that the way you play a pf role in Jr. would develop bad habits. You play a cruising style waiting for one timers, or dominate 16 year olds by keeping your back to them along the boards. Take my opinion, fwiw, because I don't see much Jr. hockey, but I believe being exposed to pros every day helps.

You do have to wonder about how he's accepted on the team though. Veterans don't necessarily appreciate projects, esp. if they see a heart and soul type in the press box. This may[probably isnt] not be an issue, but players don't have any reason to play the prospect game that we do.

Old
10-20-2006, 10:29 AM
Harry Kakalovich

Thanks guys!

Harry Kakalovich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2006, 10:29 AM
BJCOLLINS

I'll reiterate I like GL.

Lots of people here are saying that its good for a player to learn the game on the fly with the big club....for some players with exceptional talent yes but the majority no.......Also, I don't think allot of you realize that if that was the case Chipper and Lapierre would already be here given that they are destined for 3rd 4th line roles. Why aren't they in the bigs?

I agree fully with McPhee and if you read my opening post you'll notice I mention GL is not playing a physical game. I also agree the points will come.

So what's best for the CLUB then what's best for the player.

BJCOLLINS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2006, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BJCOLLINS View Post
I'll reiterate I like GL.

Lots of people here are saying that its good for a player to learn the game on the fly with the big club....for some players with exceptional talent yes but the majority no.......Also, I don't think allot of you realize that if that was the case Chipper and Lapierre would already be here given that they are destined for 3rd 4th line roles. Why aren't they in the bigs?

I agree fully with McPhee and if you read my opening post you'll notice I mention GL is not playing a physical game. I also agree the points will come.

So what's best for the CLUB then what's best for the player.
Because Latendresse outperformed them in training camp.

Old
10-20-2006, 10:38 AM
Netro

417 -

Carbo was not here at camp last year, so how does he know Latendresse should have made the team?

Second, Latendresse may indeed stay here all year, that is a management and coaching decision. And indeed, it may be the best move for him.

Personally, I have not evaluated how he is played this year. I have evaluated his skill set. And his skating is a big issue right now. It is not NHL calibre and if it is not addressed, he will not, imo, be successful at the NHL level. And he can practice all he wants, which hopefully will improve his skating, but then he still needs to be able to translate it into game speed. Is the NHL the best place to do this? Perhaps. Most juinior age players are better off developing in Junior where the coaching is still good and they get lots of ice time. This lets them develop and also helps build confidence. A player like Joe Thornton is the exception. Period. Lats has not dominated junior yet. My opinion is that he would be better off working on his skating and game speed in junior. Let him dominate. I think it is better for his development then playing 5 minutes with Begin and Murray.

I'd like to point out to everyone that pre-season is not the regular season, especially early pre-season games.

Netro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2006, 10:44 AM
mcphee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Netro View Post
417 -

I'd like to point out to everyone that pre-season is not the regular season, especially early pre-season games.
Valid point, the speed of the game is different.

Old
10-20-2006, 10:50 AM
Nyclaus

Now that Downey is injured baaad! (god bless his soul), BG could call for Kosts and let Carbo choose between those 3 to fill the 4th line (latendresse, Murray, Kostsitsyn).

How about that?

Nyclaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2006, 10:53 AM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuggy View Post
Let the kid play. It's not like he's hurting our team or we are off to a terrible start. Anyone who thought he would tear the league up clearly don't know what they are talking about. Personally I think this is a good situation for him because I don't he has anything left to learn in juniors.
Amen. Haven't read all the other posts in the topic but I think people are really spoiled by the recent trend of rookies coming in and setting the league on fire, and maybe expected Latendresse to do the same. I see no problem with making him earn his ice time and proving himself the "old-fashioned" way.

hototogisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2006, 10:58 AM
Pascal

Quote:

Sounds very accurate to me. I believe that's his problem as well.. he's trying to figure things out. I ain't worried at all personally.

Pascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2006, 11:03 AM
WeThreeKings
DJ Nikita

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyclaus View Post
Now that Downey is injured baaad! (god bless his soul), BG could call for Kosts and let Carbo choose between those 3 to fill the 4th line (latendresse, Murray, Kostsitsyn).

How about that?
I'd rather see this..
Higgins - Koivu - Ryder
Kotstitsyn - Plekanec - Kovalev
Perezhogin - Bonk - Johnson
Latendresse - Begin - Samsonov

WeThreeKings is offline   Reply With Quote