HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Tough Decision...

Old
06-15-2009, 11:10 AM
XxLidstromxX

vCash: 500
Tough Decision...

Well my entire life I have been playing inline hockey, and I have always wanted to try Ice, I'm 16 right now and I'm too embarrassed to learn the fundementals of ice... Should I join, because I don't want to be the laughing stock of the game every time...
Any opinions or personal experiences would be greatly appreciated.

XxLidstromxX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2009, 11:20 AM
frito

Yes, yes and yes! I started playing hockey, not just ice or inline but hockey itself, when I was 33. If I can START at 33 you can switch at 16.

"The greatest mistake you can make in life is to be continually fearing you will make one." - Elbert Hubbard

In other words, just get out there and give it a try.

frito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2009, 11:22 AM
ace111

Tell you what, I had never played hockey before (and I am a Canadian!) loved hockey all my life but couldn't afford to play when I was a kid. I was 29 when I bought a pair of skates and went and played pick up. As long as you let the guys know most of them are really cool with it. Try it. It is definately worth it! I have been playing for two years now and I wouldn't change anything I had done.
GO FOR IT!

ace111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2009, 11:24 AM
XxLidstromxX

well I'll probably go buy a pair of skates and go into a free skate and see how it feels. Btw i have never set foot on ice lol, and i am also canadian. It's gonna be really weird, but i'll give it a shot i guess.

Old
06-15-2009, 11:30 AM
SERE 24
LGR

Um...

Well, I guess I should ask you some questions first.

Can you ice skate? How well?
Have you ever played with hitting?
Have you ever shot a puck on the ice?

Depending on your answers to those, the answer varies.

If you can't really ice skate it's time so start going a few times a week to get good at it. You want to be able to stop on both edges, crossover and do all the things you do in inline, somewhat fluently. Don't worry about perfecting it; you don't need to be perfect just to start playing ice and it will come with time, but you should be COMFORTABLE.

If you can ice skate than go play open hockey a few times. Open hockey is a great way to see if you can keep up, see how good your skating is with the gear on and get a feel for handling a puck on the ice. If you feel you're not too good when you go play open hockey, but you CAN ice skate, than keep going to open hockey for a few weeks and you will improve.

If you can skate and you can keep up or at least enjoy yourself at open hockey than HELL YEA. Go join. Playing ice hockey is the greatest thing in the world. Nothing is better; nothing comes close. If you can ice skate decently and you go to an open hockey and feel like you're having fun than you can't sign up soon enough. Once you do, I would recommend dropping inline like a bad habit (because, to me, it is a bad habit once you're on the ice - I think inline skating HURTS your ice skating; I played roller until I was 12 and than started playing ice exclusively - I've played ice for 18 years and think that inline fundamentals contradict your ice fundamentals, so I would suggest you just play ice once you get used to it), because you're going to like ice 10x better.

If you're not ready to jump into a league though, the answer is 100% to either start going to public skating sessions until you're comfortable enough on ice skates to feel you move well and can stop, crossover, backskate, etc. If you already have a moderate amount of skill on ice skates, go play open hockey to get a feel for it. You won't be the laughing stock anywhere you go though; I've known plenty of kids who switched from roller to ice and generally, most of the skills transfer nicely. What it all comes down to is the skating (and you might have to get used to physical hockey). Determine where you're at with your skating and take it from there. There are beginner and lower division leagues for guys who are just learning the game on ice (some who haven't even played roller hockey before) and others who, like you, are making a transition. One way or the other, it's a transition you want to make. Don't wait any longer; you'll regret it! Every year not spent on the ice is a year in which you could have been getting better and better.

SERE 24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2009, 11:36 AM
SERE 24
LGR

Quote:
Originally Posted by XxLidstromxX View Post
well I'll probably go buy a pair of skates and go into a free skate and see how it feels. Btw i have never set foot on ice lol, and i am also canadian. It's gonna be really weird, but i'll give it a shot i guess.
Well that answers my question about whether you can ice skate. Check out my response. I stand by the advice in it, just obviously ignore the parts about "if you can already skate". You're going to be fine though dude. Roller, while I said the fundamentals contradict the ice fundamentals, I mean that at a slightly advanced stage. In the beginning your experience with roller will help you because there are TONS of similarities (such as your basic stride). The differences that I alluded to are more subtleties that are only important later down the road. Eventually though you come to a point where you can fine tune your ice or your roller. I can still roller skate and play roller hockey, but on roller, I look like I'm still learning because I've dedicated myself to fine-tuning my ice technique. You won't have to worry about that yet. If you've played roller you should transition just fine. The biggest mistake you could make would be to be too shy or emabarrassed to get out there and do it. You gotta go for it; you're gonna love it.

Old
06-15-2009, 11:38 AM
XxLidstromxX

Well i havent tried ice skating, I can get used to hitting, i take a million of rugby hit and those are much more painful, I have shot pucks off of those practice ice things... I think i might have skated when i was in grade 3 or so, but right now im in grade 11 so i dont even remember.

Old
06-15-2009, 11:40 AM
Devil Dancer

It's absolutely worth it. I made the transition starting in January of '08 at age 29, and now I'm just sorry I waited so long. Ice is vastly superior to roller.

Devil Dancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2009, 11:44 AM
blueberrydanish

I just pretty much picked up playing at 20. Live in the south so rinks are rare and I basically just would do public skates every few years if even that. Never did roller hockey other than rarely as a child in the street. Been 6 months and I find myself doing very well on the ice especially with skating. It is pretty easy to pickup just try and go to some public skates when ya can, stick n pucks. I waited till I had a pretty good grasp on the doin the basics then tried some open skates before signin up for a league. Anytime you can get on the ice try to. Best way to get better is by putting in the time. Defanitly was worth startin, kinda all I can think about it seems is when Im gettin back on the ice next. Big yes to it being worth it.

blueberrydanish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2009, 11:49 AM
Semin

It's obviously going to be different at first. When i first started i could barley skate but i was like 10 it took me awhile to get good at skating. Just practice a lot. If theres out door rinks in the winter time always be out there just playing around. Trust me when you first steep foot out there your going to be addicted to it. It's the funnest sport man. Good luck

Semin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2009, 11:50 AM
SERE 24
LGR

Quote:
Well i havent tried ice skating, I can get used to hitting, i take a million of rugby hit and those are much more painful, I have shot pucks off of those practice ice things... I think i might have skated when i was in grade 3 or so, but right now im in grade 11 so i dont even remember.
I saw that you hadn't skated. Just take my advice on getting comfortable on the ice and you'll be fine. Within a few months you'll be playing ice hockey and glad you started.

As for the hitting, I wasn't really worrying about pain. You have to be able to balance and maneuver on the ice while playing a more physical game than roller. I'm not doubting your toughness but even once you get the fundamentals of ice skating down, the physical play is a different animal and will not only challenge your skating, but be the most tiring aspect of playing ice hockey. Handling the puck while you avoid a check or being able to absorb a hit and keep skating means you have to get pretty good on your skates (which you will; just get started!). As for shooting on the ice practice thingy... that's good, but it's not going to be anything like that on the ice. You have to be able to shoot and handle a moving puck while on skates and moving as well. I know you're used to this from roller, but the puck slides different on ice and your balance is going to be different as well. It will certainly take some adjusting. Don't get frustrated, take your time, enjoy yourself, don't expect to be lighting it up from the get go and make the most of it. Ice hockey IS vastly superior to roller hockey and you will love it once you get some momentum.

Old
06-15-2009, 11:52 AM
SERE 24
LGR

Just thought I'd add one more thing (though I don't mean to be argumentative):

This isn't a tough decision! It's a no brainer. DO IT.

Old
06-15-2009, 03:10 PM
AIREAYE

hey buddy, i started organized hockey last year, at 15, but it wasnt a hard transition because i have been skating for several years and playing road hockey

I also play some inline road hockey and the only major differences between ice and inline is that you MUST know how to stop on ice and that the friction and feel is obviously a lot different

Crossovers are basically the same for both

But hey, just try it, you never know

AIREAYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2009, 03:27 PM
CuteHockeyBunny

I started at 20 years old and my only regret is not asking my parents for skates the day I was born. Everyone around me is saying "Thank God for summer! Winter was so cold brrr" and I'm retorting "Oh god not summer. It's way too hot! Bring back Winter!"

Yep. I'm begging for Winter so I can play hockey. That's how much this sport affects you.

Well, at least until you see a hot girl with a skirt..Thank God for Summer then .

CuteHockeyBunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2009, 05:04 PM
milkshow

Start now! You already have somewhat experience with the game.

milkshow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2009, 05:19 PM
XxLidstromxX

now i gotta buy skates, any opinion for starting skates?

Old
06-15-2009, 06:29 PM
BadHammy*
MSL For Hart!

Quote:
Don't buy a top of the line skate right away. Look for mid range stuff.

BadHammy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2009, 07:11 PM
milkshow

Quote:
You might snag a nice pair that are used.

milkshow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2009, 07:22 PM
AIREAYE

Quote:
Originally Posted by liveforthegame View Post
You might snag a nice pair that are used.
yes absolutely, don't go for a top end new pair right away, try out a pair or two of used skates (make sure those are of ok quality though). If there's a Play It Again, near where you are, its the best place, maybe even a sportchek or source for sports.

I've skated for 5 yrs or so, never had a new pair, its all good

AIREAYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2009, 07:48 PM
Semper Sens

Would you consider going with used? I started skating when I was 4 (that's a guess) and I started playing at age 7 and I was in used skates up until last year. If and when I grow out of my current skates, I'll probably go back to used. I'd spend $60 and get a pair of tacks or something. Much better than getting low-end CCMs for $100.

Semper Sens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2009, 10:33 AM
LilWinger11

If your local pro shop has used skates, that's a good option. I've heard Play-It-Again is a reliable source for skates in Canada too (our local one here in the States is NOT). If you're just starting out you don't need anything too fancy, but it is important that they fit you correctly. Stay away from ebay or buying online.

LilWinger11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2009, 12:49 PM
AlexK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kovalchkin71 View Post
Roller, while I said the fundamentals contradict the ice fundamentals, I mean that at a slightly advanced stage. In the beginning your experience with roller will help you because there are TONS of similarities (such as your basic stride). The differences that I alluded to are more subtleties that are only important later down the road.
Can you elaborate? I have my own ideas about this that I think are similar to yours and I am curious to hear what you think. What exactly are the contradicting fundamentals?

AlexK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2009, 12:52 PM
csohio

Just do it! I just started at 33 and am having a blast! The only thing I regret is waiting so long to start.

csohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2009, 12:52 PM
AlexK

To the OP: Try ice as soon as you can. I played roller all my life and tried ice when i was 22 and my only regret is not switching sooner. I have zero intentions of going back to roller. Like others have said, you'll have an adjustment period at first but you'll be picking up where you left off in roller before you know it.

AlexK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2009, 12:56 PM
noobman

I'd say start... but I'd consider signing up for a hockey school b4 going to a league.

noobman is offline   Reply With Quote