HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

I look around this board...

Old
10-20-2006, 05:33 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Love View Post
Calling for the coach's firing 7 games into the season is not rational (unless you've got say, Gerry Faust calling the shots). Having a firesale in October is not rational.
It is very rational when the team played like *** for the last 2 months of last season, and then the playoffs.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2006, 06:07 PM
Dr Love

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
Although it's fair to think this when it seems like Snider and Clarke have pushed the panic button. The coach is next to go. This is the new NHL...Snider and Clarke are not going to sit on their hands and just wait for things to fix themselves.
Who says they are going to fix it? Clarke sees his team get blown away in the playoffs by a fast, deep team and what does he do in the offseason? Aside from the Calder/Handzus swap, he signed a bunch of fringe guys to compete for the 4th line and a pre-lockout career AHLer for defense. That's not good enough.

Dr Love is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2006, 08:03 PM
RoDu

Quote:
Who says they are going to fix it? Clarke sees his team get blown away in the playoffs by a fast, deep team and what does he do in the offseason? Aside from the Calder/Handzus swap, he signed a bunch of fringe guys to compete for the 4th line and a pre-lockout career AHLer for defense. That's not good enough.
He couldn't do much with the lack of cap space

RoDu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2006, 08:24 PM
mikedifr

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16 View Post
The other problem is that most of the players have pretty much tuned out Hitch now. You look at them and you can see that they're no longer convinced he can lead them. The same thing happened in Dallas at the end of Hitch's run there. The one link with that Stars team and this Flyers team is a player by the name of Derian Hatcher. It wouldn't surprise me at all if that son of a ***** is behind this. If there's ever a signing one can point their finger at and say this is where the team started the fall, it was his. When you consider that we had to sacrifice Danny Markov to have his carcass on the roster, that should speak in volumes.

With that being said, a fresh face coming in could be the thing that turns things around. The name Dave Poulin seems to be coming up a lot and I think he might be just the guy to help fix things. A former captain and someone with coaching experience. He brings a wealth of knowledge and could really help lighten the load on some players in terms of leadership. Keep Stevens because of his work with the young guys, keep Terry Murray because he knows a thing or two about special teams and then bring in Primeau to be a lockerroom presence and that could turn things around.

However, if Hitchcock goes, then it really pains me to say this, Clarke has to go with him. During Clarke's tenure, this team ended up losing its identity and it also never really had a set path in terms of how they would build the team. It always alternated between speed/skill and size. If he had size and things bombed, then it was because we didn't have enough speed/skill and he would go out and shop in reckless abandon for speed/skill. When that failed, it was because there wasn't enough size. He has no clue how to balance the two. And now, that balancing act has fallen to the wayside. A fresh face in management might be just the solution to find that balance. And no, Holmgren would not be the guy I'd hand the reins to. If anything, Holmgren is joining the unemployment line with Clarke and Hitch. I'd consider Jim Nill in Detroit or two of our scouts - Inge Hammerstrom or Simon Nolet.
I have been a big supporter of Hitch, but I am starting to get fed up with him as well. For god sake STOP CHANGING THE LINES!!!!! Like the original poster said, the season has just started. There are a good bit of new players on this team and they need time to gel. Yes, we have some major problems, mainly the defense, but I still think this is a good to very good group of forwards if they are handled the right way. Some things that have completely baffled me:
1) Why Sanderson was at center the other night????
2) Why is Rathje/Hatcher EVER on the ice at the same time
3) Why is Randy Jones allowed to put on the Flyers jersey?
4) Why cant Hitch in all his shuffling of lines try Umberger/Carter/Calder for a good chunk of time. I felt when they got him and still feel to this day that a line like that would work.
5) Say what you want about Nolan Baumgartner, but he is the only player on the roster other then Robitaille that is not a minus. (I know, I know, not a big deal, had to add some humor)

I am glad they brought up Eager, this team needs some energy and are giving Ruzicka and Picard a chance. I think they need to aquire a true 4th line center. A player that is good on faceoffs, good defensively and someone that will check something. I like Randy Robitaille, but I think they need someone a little bigger and a little nasty. At this point I would be happy if they collided with players on their own team!!! They obviously miss Primeau's leadership, but I think they need someone that brings what he brought on the ice at least.

As for Clarke, I have never been a big fan of his, but I give him credit for some of the drafting he has done over the years. I just do not feel that he has the ability to build a team in this new era of hockey. He and Snider are old school and I think the game has passed them by.

mikedifr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2006, 09:15 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Quote:
And I berated him the entire summer for bringing in all kinds of slop

Old
10-20-2006, 10:06 PM
Dr Love

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodu View Post
He couldn't do much with the lack of cap space
Sure he could have. He could have put Nedved on waivers and freed up over 2 million before the season started, rather than wait until two weeks into the season. He also gave Baumgartner, who basically doubled his career NHL games played last year, over a million dollars based on one season of play, that money could have been spent more wisely.

Old
10-20-2006, 11:00 PM
RoDu

Quote:
He also gave Baumgartner, who basically doubled his career NHL games played last year, over a million dollars based on one season of play, that money could have been spent more wisely.
on whom?

Old
10-20-2006, 11:16 PM
mikedifr

Quote:
Sure he could have. He could have put Nedved on waivers and freed up over 2 million before the season started, rather than wait until two weeks into the season. He also gave Baumgartner, who basically doubled his career NHL games played last year, over a million dollars based on one season of play, that money could have been spent more wisely.
I cant honestly say I have seen all of the 8 games played so far, but was he really that bad?? The little bit that I watched, I basicaly didnt notice him at all which is not always a bad thing with dmen. He is also the only one that is not a minus on the team. I also thought Nedved was playing pretty well when I saw him, but I do not mind that move.

mikedifr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2006, 02:22 AM
BobbyClarkeFan16

Quote:
Agreed. Clarke could have done lots more this past offseason. Clarke stated they knew over the summer that the doctor's would never medically clear Primeau to ever play again. If he knew that, then why did he wait so long for Keith to make the retirement decision. If Clarke knew right at the start of the summer that this was going to happen, he should have went to Primeau right away and state the obvious. His inactivity on the Primeau situation was inexcusible.

As well, he certainly should have waived Nedved, but why stop there? Why not let Dimitrakos walk and send Hatcher packing as well? As well, did he honestly think that Gauthier was going to get 6 million over three years on the open market? Gauther would have been lucky to get anywhere from 4 to 4.5 over three on the market.

Then we get to Gagne. 5.25 million for Gagne. I know there are Gagne defenders on here and that's fine. However, 5.25 million a season is an awfully steep price for a guy who has only had two seasons in his career of scoring 30 or more goals in a season. Yes, he can point to the contracts that Tanguay, Richards, and Gaborik got, but all three of those guys were proven point producers. In the case of Richards and Tanguay, they also have something Gagne doesn't have - Stanley Cup championships to their name. You can also throw Scott Gomez into the mix. Yes, the Martin Havlat contract threw a wrench into the machine, but Chicago is in a much different position than Philadelphia was. They needed someone who could bring the crowd back to the games. Havlat can do that.

Like I said in one of my other posts, if Snider is going to do a house cleaning, then the only people he should keep are the scouting staff. Everyone else gets their walking papers and make it a drastic house cleaning.

BobbyClarkeFan16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2006, 02:40 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Quote:
on whom?
Kim Johnsson

Old
10-21-2006, 10:26 AM
Dr Love

Quote:
on whom?
Someone better. It's not like the defenseman musical chairs stoppped and they were left with Baumgartner. Clarke signed him on Day 1 of free agency.

Mark Eaton is making 400K more than Baumgartner and was signed after Baumgartner. They could have had him.

Old
10-21-2006, 10:29 AM
RoDu

Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
Kim Johnsson

You mean the guy who missed a whole year with a concusion? Clarke didn't think Kim was worththe money Minnesota tossed at him, and you shouldn't blame him. Who would know if he would come back and be himself, or end up like Primeau