HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Rivet Should Retire.

Old
10-20-2006, 12:58 PM
mcphee

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by oop007 View Post
Okay. And I do admit saying "retire" was pretty dumb, but I only said it because of the fact that we have solid fast defensemen. One is injured, Streit is good too, and once Bouillion comes back, I think Bouillion wud play well with Streit. We don't need slow defensemen. That is the last thing we need. I really just think we should trade rivet this way we can have more speed on our D. Either him or Souray. Come to think of it...(and this will prolly equally piss off people) they should even trade Souray. Honestly everyone thinks Rivet/Souray = The habs defense. People think they run it, well they don't. Fact is Bouillion is great, Ninimaa is dece, Streit is dece and improving, and Komisarek is actually awesome this season. Habs defense just doesn't need slow defensemen who get beat. Fact is Souray is hot/cold, and thats with offense. On defense he can play exceptionally, or he can take 5 penalties causing your team to lose the game.
Back to hockey issues, watch what Carbo does late in a game. Coaches value their job security and when under pressure, go to the guys they trust. Carbo played the last minutes because he was trusted. Rivet has usually played those minutes. He doesn't always succeed, but coaches feel they can count on him. I feared that he wouldn't do well in a faster league. He surprised me by how well he did getting to loose pucks, shielding the puck with his body, filling in a limited pp role.

Rivet hasn't had a good start, 6 games in, he's been hung out to dry a few times, he's hung his partner out to dry, but right now, on his side of the ice, he's our 2nd best D. and that's because Komisarek has stepped up. I like what I see of Streit, in fact I watched on Wednesday and wondered why Gainey and co. felt that going with him at #6 or 7 wasn't what they wanted.

Bouilon is nowhere near ready to play and just isn't as good an over all D man as Rivet anyways. Montreal doesn't have a player on D who the corps revolves around. If we did, guys like rivet would be more appreciated as support guys on their pairing. We tend to think Markov is or should be that guy, but consistency is an issue. Souray is what he is. We have 8 d men under contract right now, no trade value other than Komisarek, due to contract [Dandy,Bouillon] and pending ufa status. If they ever get all 8 healthy, watch who plays, we'll know how their talents are perceived then.

I don't think the guys you mention bring more to the table than Rivet does.

mcphee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2006, 12:59 PM
Transported Upstater

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcphee View Post
I don't have sex as often and with the same vigor that I used to but I don't think I'll give it up.
Ran out of goats?

Transported Upstater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2006, 01:01 PM
JMMR

Send a message via MSN to JMMR Send a message via Yahoo to JMMR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Parent View Post

Long-term relationships eh?

Actually, I broke up with my wrist recently.
Really I thought you were dating Palmala Handerson!

JMMR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2006, 01:02 PM
mcphee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artie View Post
new sign outside mchee household

Goats For Unlawful Carnal Knowledge
Turn left at the next driveway
Unlawful ? How the hell was I supposed to know ? Damn gov't, sick of big gov't telling me how to live my life.

Old
10-20-2006, 01:05 PM
Artie

Quote:
Back to hockey issues, watch what Carbo does late in a game. Coaches value their job security and when under pressure, go to the guys they trust. Carbo played the last minutes because he was trusted. Rivet has usually played those minutes. He doesn't always succeed, but coaches feel they can count on him. I feared that he wouldn't do well in a faster league. He surprised me by how well he did getting to loose pucks, shielding the puck with his body, filling in a limited pp role.

Rivet hasn't had a good start, 6 games in, he's been hung out to dry a few times, he's hung his partner out to dry, but right now, on his side of the ice, he's our 2nd best D. and that's because Komisarek has stepped up. I like what I see of Streit, in fact I watched on Wednesday and wondered why Gainey and co. felt that going with him at #6 or 7 wasn't what they wanted.

Bouilon is nowhere near ready to play and just isn't as good an over all D man as Rivet anyways. Montreal doesn't have a player on D who the corps revolves around. If we did, guys like rivet would be more appreciated as support guys on their pairing. We tend to think Markov is or should be that guy, but consistency is an issue. Souray is what he is. We have 8 d men under contract right now, no trade value other than Komisarek, due to contract [Dandy,Bouillon] and pending ufa status. If they ever get all 8 healthy, watch who plays, we'll know how their talents are perceived then.

I don't think the guys you mention bring more to the table than Rivet does.

And there in a nutshell we have a recap of why the Canadiens aren't considered a stronger threat with the offensive upside (or at least perceived upside) they had going into the season.

The lack of consistency coupled with the fact that it is not the most stellar group is an issue. But you cannot pin the blame on one defenceman.

Artie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2006, 01:07 PM
GoneAway

vCash:
I can believe it took be this long to come into this thread

*rimshot*

Old
10-20-2006, 01:11 PM
Artie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Chezz View Post
I can believe it took be this long to come into this thread

*rimshot*
it has been missing one ingredient

*cue the ....*

Old
10-20-2006, 01:12 PM
cjbhab
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Not saying he's old. Saying he should retire. He just doesn't seem like he used to be.

Ok your not saying he is old .. but ..

the first thing you said was he is old and slow..

cjbhab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2006, 01:15 PM
mcphee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artie View Post
And there in a nutshell we have a recap of why the Canadiens aren't considered a stronger threat with the offensive upside (or at least perceived upside) they had going into the season.

The lack of consistency coupled with the fact that it is not the most stellar group is an issue. But you cannot pin the blame on one defenceman.

So, then defense has to either revolve around a big name, or play well thru team play,continuity, solid coaching, attn. to detail etc. You have to trust your guys to play at their own level. Niedermayer doesn't live here, alas. That'll be the issue going forward, I guess, is there a high end guy out there that would make a difference or do you try and develop a solid core and wait for O'Byrne,Emelin and co.

Old
10-20-2006, 01:22 PM
Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
Sometimes this board makes me embarassed to be a Hab fan.

Turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2006, 01:25 PM
Artie

Quote:
So, then defense has to either revolve around a big name, or play well thru team play,continuity, solid coaching, attn. to detail etc. You have to trust your guys to play at their own level. Niedermayer doesn't live here, alas. That'll be the issue going forward, I guess, is there a high end guy out there that would make a difference or do you try and develop a solid core and wait for O'Byrne,Emelin and co.
Personally I prefer the "solid core" approach. It worked well for buffalo last year.

They all have to compliment each other well.

While I like Markov, I've been saying for a while that I think he will be the odd man out in the mix. He just doesn't seem to play with the enthusiasm that Carbo and the coaching staff exudes. Souray.Rivet/Komi/Dandy/Emelin (from what I've seen and read)/Cote are all warrior type defenceman. I'm not convinced that Markov has figured out his niche in the mix. (just my impression for what it's worth).

The one thing Markov bring when he's on his game is that great first pass out of the zone. Unfortunately when you're confidence is down (which I have the feeling Markov is suffering from right now), it's the last play you want to try.

Having said all that, it's only 6 games into the season.

Old
10-20-2006, 01:27 PM
beowulf
Poster of the Year!

Send a message via MSN to beowulf
Quote:
Originally Posted by zednik20 View Post
you should retire from this board then....
I agree, he is one of are most steady dman. Is very reliable and if the Habs do not resign him, he will get a ton of offers on the free agent market.

beowulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2006, 01:30 PM
mcphee

I remember when CJ was still coaching and someone asked him about Markov's health, he had been helped off the ice. CJ made a crack about it being no big deal, he always does that. I have no basis either,but I'm not sure Carbo is a big Markov fan. It might be communication, not knowing what makes the guy tick, I don't know, but I think at times they don't buy his act.

Old
10-20-2006, 01:32 PM
GoneAway

vCash:
Quote:
I remember when CJ was still coaching and someone asked him about Markov's health, he had been helped off the ice. CJ made a crack about it being no big deal, he always does that. I have no basis either,but I'm not sure Carbo is a big Markov fan. It might be communication, not knowing what makes the guy tick, I don't know, but I think at times they don't buy his act.
Markov: the misunderstood artist

Old
10-20-2006, 01:36 PM
Guy Caballero

This is the type of half-baked opinion that explains why Montreal isn't at the top of most NHLers lists these days.

A couple of dozen other teams in the NHL would gladly take Rivet, and at his current salary.

Guy Caballero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2006, 01:36 PM
Artie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Chezz View Post
Markov: the misunderstood artist

We may have to start calling him

Lord Markov

Old
10-20-2006, 02:24 PM
Habsfan18
Global Moderator
The Future

some people on the Habs board

Habsfan18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2006, 02:31 PM
felixd

You know a thread gets weird when Dr.Charles posts in it.(No offense to you, you're actually really funny, but only seem to post random stuff generally not realted to hockey)

felixd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2006, 02:43 PM
Dr. Charles

Quote:
Originally Posted by felixd View Post
You know a thread gets weird when Dr.Charles posts in it.(No offense to you, you're actually really funny, but only seem to post random stuff generally not realted to hockey)
Not offensed... If I want to read solid hockey related stuff, I have enough reading lets say... Mike8... and then I have pretty much nothing to add... so stupid stuff comes in!

Dr. Charles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2006, 02:43 PM
patp77

One by one I will eliminate the need to read stupid posts by adding people to my ignore list. Maybe some day I'll be left with only good posters. I'm hoping that others will learn to do the same rather than allow people to get under their skin with posts like these.

patp77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2006, 03:43 PM
Mr San Diego Hab
Mosdell = Cup Champ

Quote:
Rivet is a good defensemen. But he's old, slow and gets beaten a lot. We have Boullion recovering, Streit who I'm telling you, will be a pimp before the second half of the season. We also have Ninimaa, and Souray on some nights performs(even though he gets beaten a lot too).

Either way. The habs need a fast defense to go with their fast style of play. Rivet does not fit the habs team very well anymore. All though on a certain level he is an enforcer and he is on many levels a skilled veteran, he's getting too old and slow.
Have you called Rivet and asked him to leave the team? OK, so if you had it your way Rivet should retire...who takes his spot until Boullion returns? Why am I even wasting my time on this post???????????

Mr San Diego Hab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2006, 03:45 PM
Habs

Quote:
We have Boullion recovering,
Boullion is the solution to our defensive play in your mind? You honestly think he's better than Rivet? My goodness.

Quote:
Streit who I'm telling you, will be a pimp before the second half of the season.
Oh good lord.

Quote:
Either way. The habs need a fast defense to go with their fast style of play. Rivet does not fit the habs team very well anymore. All though on a certain level he is an enforcer and he is on many levels a skilled veteran, he's getting too old and slow.
Rivet and Souray are playing with injuries that would keep 80% of defenceman on injured reserve. To take these two physical, reliable players out of our lineup for Boullion and Streit would only secure us a first round pick in next years draft.

Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2006, 03:47 PM
Mr San Diego Hab
Mosdell = Cup Champ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Parent View Post
They didn't assume, they read what you wrote. What YOU wrote! If you don't think it, don't write it.
I couldn't say it better myself....

Mr San Diego Hab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2006, 03:52 PM
Ross MacLochness

Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
this board always makes me embarassed to be a Hab fan.

Ross MacLochness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2006, 03:54 PM
mattihp

vCash: 50
Let Rivet take a couple of shifts as a forward on the fourth line? :>

mattihp is offline   Reply With Quote