HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

Varlamov v. Rinne

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
10-21-2006, 08:53 AM
  #1
Plato
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Plato's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: New York
Country: Greece
Posts: 9,174
vCash: 50
Varlamov v. Rinne

Who do u think will have a better chance at succeding at the NHL level?

Plato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2006, 09:04 AM
  #2
Chimaera
same ol' Caps
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: La Plata, Maryland
Country: United States
Posts: 21,851
vCash: 600
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyutin 51 View Post
Who do u think will have a better chance at succeding at the NHL level?
Can't speak for Rinne, or much on Varlamov to be honest. but what little I've seen for Valamov, he looks to be pretty interesting at this point. he needs some refinement (very raw) but could be an NHL starter down the road.

He is playing pretty well for his RSL team (he came in after they had lost some games and they haven't lost [m]any since he took over).

Chimaera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2006, 09:35 AM
  #3
Zine
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 8,810
vCash: 500
Its in the Caps best interest (and probably for the future of the Russian national team too) to get Varlamov over to N.A. ASAP and get him some quality goalie coaching. He has all the tools to be really really good.

Zine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2006, 12:37 PM
  #4
Chimaera
same ol' Caps
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: La Plata, Maryland
Country: United States
Posts: 21,851
vCash: 600
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zine View Post
Its in the Caps best interest (and probably for the future of the Russian national team too) to get Varlamov over to N.A. ASAP and get him some quality goalie coaching. He has all the tools to be really really good.
I don't know.

They've got a few goalies in the AHL (ECHL) as well that they want to look at.

Max Daigneault (though this year is sink or swim) Darren Machesney and a player or two from past drafts...

I don't think any of them are in Varlamov's potential range, but I think the Caps still have interest in seeing how they develop.

Chimaera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2006, 05:50 PM
  #5
Sutherby
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Posts: 1,052
vCash: 500
I really only see Daigneault as having any NHL potential as far as our NA prospects go. That's not including Neuvirth of course. Varlamov seem to be playing wonderful, he hasn't given the job back since he took it and has started every game since. He's also only lost one game in 9 starts. Does anyone remember any other goalies who started in the Super League as teenagers?

Sutherby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2006, 09:34 AM
  #6
Redwingsfan
Global Moderator
What rust??
 
Redwingsfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Country: Norway
Posts: 19,075
vCash: 500
Awards:
Send a message via MSN to Redwingsfan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutherby View Post
I really only see Daigneault as having any NHL potential as far as our NA prospects go. That's not including Neuvirth of course. Varlamov seem to be playing wonderful, he hasn't given the job back since he took it and has started every game since. He's also only lost one game in 9 starts. Does anyone remember any other goalies who started in the Super League as teenagers?
nabokov played 24 games when he was 19 and khabibulin became a starter when he was 20.

who cares if the caps have a lot of goalies. he can play in the chl for two more years after this season. i think that would be a good place for him to get used to the NA style and he would get much better coaching.

Redwingsfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2006, 07:24 PM
  #7
Sutherby
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Posts: 1,052
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by redwingsfan View Post
nabokov played 24 games when he was 19 and khabibulin became a starter when he was 20.

who cares if the caps have a lot of goalies. he can play in the chl for two more years after this season. i think that would be a good place for him to get used to the NA style and he would get much better coaching.


Thanks I wasn't sure if any had.. and by the looks of it I'd be pleased if he turned out with as much talent as either of them He had another strong game yesterday 1-1 tie. But yeah I tend to agree with you, I'd like to see him play in the Q if at all possible. All the goals scored on him would get him ready for our defense :p kidding of course but yeah I would like him to play in the Q. Not sure his standpoint on North America but I guess we shall see.

Sutherby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2006, 08:10 PM
  #8
Langway
Moderator
Intangibles
 
Langway's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 20,719
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimaera View Post
I don't know.

They've got a few goalies in the AHL (ECHL) as well that they want to look at.

Max Daigneault (though this year is sink or swim) Darren Machesney and a player or two from past drafts...

I don't think any of them are in Varlamov's potential range, but I think the Caps still have interest in seeing how they develop.
More likely, (kind of like Neuvirth this year) Varlamov could come over and play in junior. I'd like to see him in the WHL for a year.

Langway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2006, 10:30 PM
  #9
Chimaera
same ol' Caps
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: La Plata, Maryland
Country: United States
Posts: 21,851
vCash: 600
Quote:
Originally Posted by ididitlangway View Post
More likely, (kind of like Neuvirth this year) Varlamov could come over and play in junior. I'd like to see him in the WHL for a year.
I'm not sure. I'd rather him stay and play in a more difficult league, and then spend time as the starter in the AHL.

Chimaera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2006, 11:09 PM
  #10
Langway
Moderator
Intangibles
 
Langway's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 20,719
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimaera View Post
I'm not sure. I'd rather him stay and play in a more difficult league, and then spend time as the starter in the AHL.
The question should be: which league better prepares Varlamov for the style and structure of NHL play. I'm not sure whether the RSL is better prep. compared to the major junior leagues, due to systematic differences in play. Would Varlamov have to make more adjustments when beginning professional hockey play if he didn't first play in the major junior leagues?

The Czech. Elite League would have thrown more talent at Neuvirth compared to the OHL, and yet he's gaining valuable experience going up against a more North American style of play.

Langway is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:17 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.