HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

With Mogilny out 4 months

Closed Thread

Old
11-26-2003, 08:00 PM
OlliMackBjugStud

vCash: 500
With Mogilny out 4 months

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp?id=62080

What does the board think of a Nolan for Jagr swap ?

WSH shaves salary and if any team can afford the hype and contract of JJ, its TOR. THe media in TOR would cream their jeans.

DR

Old
11-26-2003, 08:04 PM
think-blue-

Send a message via MSN to think-blue-
A huge NO from Toronto's end.

Jagr can go as farrrr away from TO as possible.

Old
11-26-2003, 08:08 PM
OlliMackBjugStud

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThinkBlue

thats the *educated* fan in you speaking. TOR is about hype, just as NYR is. Aquiring JJ would be like feeding raw meat to the wolves.

DR

Old
11-26-2003, 08:27 PM
Darth Milbury
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by DementedReality
thats the *educated* fan in you speaking. TOR is about hype, just as NYR is. Aquiring JJ would be like feeding raw meat to the wolves.

DR

One reason this can't happen is because of a feature of Nolan's contract. Nolan gets his full salary if there is a lockout. So, next year, Jagr will cost Washington nothing and Nolan will cost Toronto big $.

11-26-2003, 08:54 PM
think-blue-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Milbury
One reason this can't happen is because of a feature of Nolan's contract. Nolan gets his full salary if there is a lockout. So, next year, Jagr will cost Washington nothing and Nolan will cost Toronto big $.
Are you sure? I thought it was stipulated that if there was a lockout, an extra year kicked in on Nolan's contract...he's not necessarily being paid for not playing next year.

Old
11-26-2003, 09:06 PM
Darth Milbury
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Are you sure? I thought it was stipulated that if there was a lockout, an extra year kicked in on Nolan's contract...he's not necessarily being paid for not playing next year.
No, I'm not sure. That is what I recall reading at the deadline last year.
However, I just did a web search and came up with no information on the lockout provision.

Can somebody else out there clarify?

Old
11-26-2003, 09:11 PM
Boomhower

Quote:
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp?id=62080

What does the board think of a Nolan for Jagr swap ?

WSH shaves salary and if any team can afford the hype and contract of JJ, its TOR. THe media in TOR would cream their jeans.

DR
I don't think Jagr is the answer.....But fellow Cap Robert Lang may be a good fix, he is off to a great start and can play the wing. Washington has said he is one of the salaries they are interested in dumbing.
Just a thought.

Old
11-26-2003, 09:20 PM
OlliMackBjugStud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Milbury
No, I'm not sure. That is what I recall reading at the deadline last year.
However, I just did a web search and came up with no information on the lockout provision.

Can somebody else out there clarify?
im pretty sure ThinkBlue had it correct.

DR

Old
11-26-2003, 09:34 PM
Darth Milbury
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
im pretty sure ThinkBlue had it correct.

DR

Well, then I stand corrected!

Thanks guys.

Here are the details:

"Owen Nolan's recently signed five-year $30 million contract affords the player the right to guarantee the sixth and club option year at $6 million in the event of a work stoppage. "

Last edited by Darth Milbury: 11-26-2003 at 09:37 PM.
Old
11-26-2003, 10:00 PM
Jacob

Any interest in Martin Straka? In return, the Penguins will take anyone with a two-way contract. Preferably Kyle "Killer" Wellwood.

Old
11-26-2003, 10:14 PM
think-blue-

I hope Ferguson doesn't panic into doing something stupid. Itll just be a time where everyone else will have to step up a bit. The Leafs have always showed resilience when it comes to injuries like this, I dont see why that would stop now.

Old
11-27-2003, 12:55 AM
andora

Send a message via MSN to andora
wellwood for straka ?

done

Old
11-27-2003, 06:20 AM
Timmer

Quote:
I hope Ferguson doesn't panic into doing something stupid. Itll just be a time where everyone else will have to step up a bit. The Leafs have always showed resilience when it comes to injuries like this, I dont see why that would stop now.
I agree TB. This isn't a time to panic, it's an opportunity to let Stajan and Druken keep playing and see if they continue to play well.

Also, we will see how the "veteran" maturity is able to step up and pick up their respective games. The Leafs will be ok.

The only real longterm impact is that it takes away an immediate opportunity to move a forward for a quality Dman should one become available. At least until Molginy returns to health.

But on the other hand, it should provide some showcasing of other forwards that may lead to finding a desireable asset to trade once Molginy returns.

Overall, no need to panic. Just persevere.

Old
11-27-2003, 06:28 AM
wasting time

Quote:
Originally Posted by andora
wellwood for straka ?

done
I'll leave for St. Johns right now and hand deliver Wellwood for Straka.

Old
11-27-2003, 06:48 AM
Voice of Reason

Quote:

Jagr may be immature, but he's healthier than Nolan and has a much bigger scoring upside than him too.
While Jagr is a locker room pain in the ass, I would take his on-ice production over Nolan's at this point any day.
Wash can't give Jagr away because of money; Tor can't give Nolan away because he's old and broken down (and makes too much money).

Old
11-27-2003, 07:24 AM
wasting time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voice of Reason
Jagr may be immature, but he's healthier than Nolan and has a much bigger scoring upside than him too.
While Jagr is a locker room pain in the ass, I would take his on-ice production over Nolan's at this point any day.
Wash can't give Jagr away because of money; Tor can't give Nolan away because he's old and broken down (and makes too much money).
I like Jagr right now over Nolan too.

But Toronto could keep Nolan and spend $4 million somewhere else wisely if they were so inclined.

Old
11-27-2003, 08:07 AM
sting_fan

How about Val Bure for a pick?

Old
11-27-2003, 08:11 AM
Dar

Send a message via MSN to Dar
Quote:
Originally Posted by sting_fan
How about Val Bure for a pick?
What round?

Old
11-27-2003, 08:41 AM
sting_fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dar
What round?
Considering a hurt Bure acquired Van Ryn, how about a second round pick?

The Panthers are looking to dump Bure's $3.1M salary.

Old
11-27-2003, 08:41 AM
shakes
Ancient Astronaut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmer
I agree TB. This isn't a time to panic, it's an opportunity to let Stajan and Druken keep playing and see if they continue to play well.

Also, we will see how the "veteran" maturity is able to step up and pick up their respective games. The Leafs will be ok.

The only real longterm impact is that it takes away an immediate opportunity to move a forward for a quality Dman should one become available. At least until Molginy returns to health.

But on the other hand, it should provide some showcasing of other forwards that may lead to finding a desireable asset to trade once Molginy returns.

Overall, no need to panic. Just persevere.
Did you just suggest that Druken and Stajan have the ability to replace Mogilny? If you just meant roster spot then ok, but if you meant production, then get real. Even combined, those two don't come anywhere near to being able to replace what Mogilny brings to the team.

They need to replace Mogilny's (also Niewy and Antropov's as well)production and they can't do it from within. This doesn't mean they need to panic and overpay, but they need to do this. Why people assume that this team is a lock for the playoffs is beyond me.. nothing, except death and taxes, is for sure and the Leafs haven't been playing well to begin with.. they need all the help they can get and that's not Stajan or Druken.

Old
11-27-2003, 10:07 AM
think-blue-

Quote:
Originally Posted by shakes
Did you just suggest that Druken and Stajan have the ability to replace Mogilny? If you just meant roster spot then ok, but if you meant production, then get real. Even combined, those two don't come anywhere near to being able to replace what Mogilny brings to the team.
I don't think anyone is going to be that naive in thinking Stajan and Druken will replace AlMo's production.

Quote:
They need to replace Mogilny's (also Niewy and Antropov's as well)production and they can't do it from within. This doesn't mean they need to panic and overpay, but they need to do this. Why people assume that this team is a lock for the playoffs is beyond me.. nothing, except death and taxes, is for sure and the Leafs haven't been playing well to begin with.. they need all the help they can get and that's not Stajan or Druken.
No, they don't need to do something stupid. If everyone steps up just a little, then they will be fine. That is what depth is for - to compensate for losses of this magnitude. Give the roster the Leafs have now a few weeks, see how they do; if something needs addressing then, do it.

Old
11-27-2003, 10:20 AM
shakes
Ancient Astronaut

Quote:
No, they don't need to do something stupid. If everyone steps up just a little, then they will be fine. That is what depth is for - to compensate for losses of this magnitude. Give the roster the Leafs have now a few weeks, see how they do; if something needs addressing then, do it.
I think we have to agree to disagree then.. there is NO WAY this team can compensate for the loss of Mogilny for 3 months. Combined with Niewy's and Antropov's injuries, something needs to be done; not saying it needs to be done in haste or overpay.. A small, cheap free agent signing or a trade would be nice.

Old
11-27-2003, 10:42 AM
Dar

Send a message via MSN to Dar
Quote:
Originally Posted by sting_fan
Considering a hurt Bure acquired Van Ryn, how about a second round pick?

The Panthers are looking to dump Bure's $3.1M salary.
K, lemme get Pat on the phone for you then.

Closed Thread