HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

With Mogilny out 4 months

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
11-26-2003, 08:00 PM
  #1
OlliMackBjugStud
Registered User
 
OlliMackBjugStud's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,705
vCash: 500
With Mogilny out 4 months

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp?id=62080

What does the board think of a Nolan for Jagr swap ?

WSH shaves salary and if any team can afford the hype and contract of JJ, its TOR. THe media in TOR would cream their jeans.

DR

OlliMackBjugStud is online now  
Old
11-26-2003, 08:04 PM
  #2
think-blue-
Registered User
 
think-blue-'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,159
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to think-blue-
A huge NO from Toronto's end.

Jagr can go as farrrr away from TO as possible.

think-blue- is offline  
Old
11-26-2003, 08:08 PM
  #3
OlliMackBjugStud
Registered User
 
OlliMackBjugStud's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,705
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThinkBlue
A huge NO from Toronto's end.

Jagr can go as farrrr away from TO as possible.
thats the *educated* fan in you speaking. TOR is about hype, just as NYR is. Aquiring JJ would be like feeding raw meat to the wolves.

DR

OlliMackBjugStud is online now  
Old
11-26-2003, 08:27 PM
  #4
Darth Milbury
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Darth Milbury's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Searching for Kvasha
Country: Bosnia and Herzegovina
Posts: 38,413
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DementedReality
thats the *educated* fan in you speaking. TOR is about hype, just as NYR is. Aquiring JJ would be like feeding raw meat to the wolves.

DR

One reason this can't happen is because of a feature of Nolan's contract. Nolan gets his full salary if there is a lockout. So, next year, Jagr will cost Washington nothing and Nolan will cost Toronto big $.

__________________
Man, do I ever miss Oleg Kvasha. If Oleg was here, everything would be OK.
Darth Milbury is offline  
Old
11-26-2003, 08:54 PM
  #5
think-blue-
Registered User
 
think-blue-'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,159
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to think-blue-
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Milbury
One reason this can't happen is because of a feature of Nolan's contract. Nolan gets his full salary if there is a lockout. So, next year, Jagr will cost Washington nothing and Nolan will cost Toronto big $.
Are you sure? I thought it was stipulated that if there was a lockout, an extra year kicked in on Nolan's contract...he's not necessarily being paid for not playing next year.

think-blue- is offline  
Old
11-26-2003, 09:06 PM
  #6
Darth Milbury
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Darth Milbury's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Searching for Kvasha
Country: Bosnia and Herzegovina
Posts: 38,413
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThinkBlue
Are you sure? I thought it was stipulated that if there was a lockout, an extra year kicked in on Nolan's contract...he's not necessarily being paid for not playing next year.
No, I'm not sure. That is what I recall reading at the deadline last year.
However, I just did a web search and came up with no information on the lockout provision.

Can somebody else out there clarify?

Darth Milbury is offline  
Old
11-26-2003, 09:11 PM
  #7
Boomhower
Registered User
 
Boomhower's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,582
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DementedReality
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp?id=62080

What does the board think of a Nolan for Jagr swap ?

WSH shaves salary and if any team can afford the hype and contract of JJ, its TOR. THe media in TOR would cream their jeans.

DR
I don't think Jagr is the answer.....But fellow Cap Robert Lang may be a good fix, he is off to a great start and can play the wing. Washington has said he is one of the salaries they are interested in dumbing.
Just a thought.

Boomhower is offline  
Old
11-26-2003, 09:20 PM
  #8
OlliMackBjugStud
Registered User
 
OlliMackBjugStud's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,705
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Milbury
No, I'm not sure. That is what I recall reading at the deadline last year.
However, I just did a web search and came up with no information on the lockout provision.

Can somebody else out there clarify?
im pretty sure ThinkBlue had it correct.

DR

OlliMackBjugStud is online now  
Old
11-26-2003, 09:34 PM
  #9
Darth Milbury
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Darth Milbury's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Searching for Kvasha
Country: Bosnia and Herzegovina
Posts: 38,413
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DementedReality
im pretty sure ThinkBlue had it correct.

DR

Well, then I stand corrected!

Thanks guys.

Here are the details:

"Owen Nolan's recently signed five-year $30 million contract affords the player the right to guarantee the sixth and club option year at $6 million in the event of a work stoppage. "


Last edited by Darth Milbury: 11-26-2003 at 09:37 PM.
Darth Milbury is offline  
Old
11-26-2003, 10:00 PM
  #10
Jacob
Registered User
 
Jacob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: United States
Posts: 26,144
vCash: 500
Any interest in Martin Straka? In return, the Penguins will take anyone with a two-way contract. Preferably Kyle "Killer" Wellwood.

Jacob is online now  
Old
11-26-2003, 10:14 PM
  #11
think-blue-
Registered User
 
think-blue-'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,159
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to think-blue-
I hope Ferguson doesn't panic into doing something stupid. Itll just be a time where everyone else will have to step up a bit. The Leafs have always showed resilience when it comes to injuries like this, I dont see why that would stop now.

think-blue- is offline  
Old
11-27-2003, 12:55 AM
  #12
andora
Registered User
 
andora's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Illuminating Prince
Country: Canada
Posts: 16,029
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to andora
wellwood for straka ?

done

andora is offline  
Old
11-27-2003, 06:20 AM
  #13
Timmer
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Oshawa, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,288
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThinkBlue
I hope Ferguson doesn't panic into doing something stupid. Itll just be a time where everyone else will have to step up a bit. The Leafs have always showed resilience when it comes to injuries like this, I dont see why that would stop now.
I agree TB. This isn't a time to panic, it's an opportunity to let Stajan and Druken keep playing and see if they continue to play well.

Also, we will see how the "veteran" maturity is able to step up and pick up their respective games. The Leafs will be ok.

The only real longterm impact is that it takes away an immediate opportunity to move a forward for a quality Dman should one become available. At least until Molginy returns to health.

But on the other hand, it should provide some showcasing of other forwards that may lead to finding a desireable asset to trade once Molginy returns.

Overall, no need to panic. Just persevere.

Timmer is offline  
Old
11-27-2003, 06:28 AM
  #14
wasting time
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 4,887
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by andora
wellwood for straka ?

done
I'll leave for St. Johns right now and hand deliver Wellwood for Straka.

wasting time is offline  
Old
11-27-2003, 06:48 AM
  #15
Voice of Reason
Registered User
 
Voice of Reason's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Connecticut
Country: United States
Posts: 2,823
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThinkBlue
A huge NO from Toronto's end.

Jagr can go as farrrr away from TO as possible.
Jagr may be immature, but he's healthier than Nolan and has a much bigger scoring upside than him too.
While Jagr is a locker room pain in the ass, I would take his on-ice production over Nolan's at this point any day.
Wash can't give Jagr away because of money; Tor can't give Nolan away because he's old and broken down (and makes too much money).

Voice of Reason is offline  
Old
11-27-2003, 07:24 AM
  #16
wasting time
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 4,887
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voice of Reason
Jagr may be immature, but he's healthier than Nolan and has a much bigger scoring upside than him too.
While Jagr is a locker room pain in the ass, I would take his on-ice production over Nolan's at this point any day.
Wash can't give Jagr away because of money; Tor can't give Nolan away because he's old and broken down (and makes too much money).
I like Jagr right now over Nolan too.

But Toronto could keep Nolan and spend $4 million somewhere else wisely if they were so inclined.

wasting time is offline  
Old
11-27-2003, 08:07 AM
  #17
sting_fan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: ON, CA
Posts: 975
vCash: 500
How about Val Bure for a pick?

sting_fan is offline  
Old
11-27-2003, 08:11 AM
  #18
Dar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Country: Northern Ireland
Posts: 4,813
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Dar
Quote:
Originally Posted by sting_fan
How about Val Bure for a pick?
What round?

Dar is offline  
Old
11-27-2003, 08:41 AM
  #19
sting_fan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: ON, CA
Posts: 975
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dar
What round?
Considering a hurt Bure acquired Van Ryn, how about a second round pick?

The Panthers are looking to dump Bure's $3.1M salary.

sting_fan is offline  
Old
11-27-2003, 08:41 AM
  #20
shakes
Ancient Astronaut
 
shakes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,007
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmer
I agree TB. This isn't a time to panic, it's an opportunity to let Stajan and Druken keep playing and see if they continue to play well.

Also, we will see how the "veteran" maturity is able to step up and pick up their respective games. The Leafs will be ok.

The only real longterm impact is that it takes away an immediate opportunity to move a forward for a quality Dman should one become available. At least until Molginy returns to health.

But on the other hand, it should provide some showcasing of other forwards that may lead to finding a desireable asset to trade once Molginy returns.

Overall, no need to panic. Just persevere.
Did you just suggest that Druken and Stajan have the ability to replace Mogilny? If you just meant roster spot then ok, but if you meant production, then get real. Even combined, those two don't come anywhere near to being able to replace what Mogilny brings to the team.

They need to replace Mogilny's (also Niewy and Antropov's as well)production and they can't do it from within. This doesn't mean they need to panic and overpay, but they need to do this. Why people assume that this team is a lock for the playoffs is beyond me.. nothing, except death and taxes, is for sure and the Leafs haven't been playing well to begin with.. they need all the help they can get and that's not Stajan or Druken.

shakes is offline  
Old
11-27-2003, 10:07 AM
  #21
think-blue-
Registered User
 
think-blue-'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,159
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to think-blue-
Quote:
Originally Posted by shakes
Did you just suggest that Druken and Stajan have the ability to replace Mogilny? If you just meant roster spot then ok, but if you meant production, then get real. Even combined, those two don't come anywhere near to being able to replace what Mogilny brings to the team.
I don't think anyone is going to be that naive in thinking Stajan and Druken will replace AlMo's production.

Quote:
They need to replace Mogilny's (also Niewy and Antropov's as well)production and they can't do it from within. This doesn't mean they need to panic and overpay, but they need to do this. Why people assume that this team is a lock for the playoffs is beyond me.. nothing, except death and taxes, is for sure and the Leafs haven't been playing well to begin with.. they need all the help they can get and that's not Stajan or Druken.
No, they don't need to do something stupid. If everyone steps up just a little, then they will be fine. That is what depth is for - to compensate for losses of this magnitude. Give the roster the Leafs have now a few weeks, see how they do; if something needs addressing then, do it.

think-blue- is offline  
Old
11-27-2003, 10:20 AM
  #22
shakes
Ancient Astronaut
 
shakes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,007
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThinkBlue
No, they don't need to do something stupid. If everyone steps up just a little, then they will be fine. That is what depth is for - to compensate for losses of this magnitude. Give the roster the Leafs have now a few weeks, see how they do; if something needs addressing then, do it.
I think we have to agree to disagree then.. there is NO WAY this team can compensate for the loss of Mogilny for 3 months. Combined with Niewy's and Antropov's injuries, something needs to be done; not saying it needs to be done in haste or overpay.. A small, cheap free agent signing or a trade would be nice.

shakes is offline  
Old
11-27-2003, 10:42 AM
  #23
Dar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Country: Northern Ireland
Posts: 4,813
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Dar
Quote:
Originally Posted by sting_fan
Considering a hurt Bure acquired Van Ryn, how about a second round pick?

The Panthers are looking to dump Bure's $3.1M salary.
K, lemme get Pat on the phone for you then.

Dar is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:29 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.