HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Boston Bruins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The team lacks identity (among other things).

Old
10-22-2006, 06:46 AM
Don Cherry*

vCash: 500
The team lacks identity (among other things).

This team is basically the same bunch of crap as last year. . We even have another poor excuse for a coach.

Incredibly boring to watch and without any of the "character" that Chiapet supposedly wanted so badly. We don't score. We have terrible goaltending. We don't hit or fight. Where is the entertainment among all of this?

I'm sure some will want to still insist that "it's still early" or blame a couple "injuries", but the truth is that we are simply boring to watch.

I'm beginning to agree with the folks who think that Chara is overrated. He's not the physical force and offensive threat (so far) that we paid 7.5 million for.

Savard has not been the 5 million dollar offensive dynamo that we paid for. Who pays $5 mil. for a second line center in the first place?

"Count Da Money" for some reason escapes blame entirely when he has also been a disappointment. He actually used to hit and play like he cared before Chiapet threw the bank at him.

Hoggan, Primeau and Donovan are our only players who seem to care. How freakin' sad is that?

The 2006-2007 Boston Bruins: "The Flub of Hockey".

Don Cherry* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2006, 09:42 AM
Duguay2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Cherry View Post
This team is basically the same bunch of crap as last year. . We even have another poor excuse for a coach.

Incredibly boring to watch and without any of the "character" that Chiapet supposedly wanted so badly. We don't score. We have terrible goaltending. We don't hit or fight. Where is the entertainment among all of this?

I'm sure some will want to still insist that "it's still early" or blame a couple "injuries", but the truth is that we are simply boring to watch.

I'm beginning to agree with the folks who think that Chara is overrated. He's not the physical force and offensive threat (so far) that we paid 7.5 million for.

Savard has not been the 5 million dollar offensive dynamo that we paid for. Who pays $5 mil. for a second line center in the first place?

"Count Da Money" for some reason escapes blame entirely when he has also been a disappointment. He actually used to hit and play like he cared before Chiapet threw the bank at him.

Hoggan, Primeau and Donovan are our only players who seem to care. How freakin' sad is that?

So far, that max money looks like it could have been better-spent. So far. Let's see how PC manages through stormy waters before we blow him up and off. Let him make a couple of trades and see how they adjust.

Duguay2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2006, 10:50 AM
BlueAndGold

DC I agree with some of your points, disagree with the rest.

It takes a long time for a team to gel and at the same time gain an identity. The identity also comes from the type of identity ownership/management wants it to have. Chia should be given a chance. The worst thing that can happen is Chia starts making hasty, reckless and desperate trades like O'Connell did last season. This sort of impulse may start with Jacobs, based on the comments he's made recently. He seems to think the problems can be fixed immediately. I lost all my interest in the Celtics because Ainge makes trades as often as decent folks change their underwear.

'On paper' the team is better than last year and I like the additions they've made.

My areas of concern are goaltending, York and Dempsey getting playing time in the NHL let alone on the Bruins, and Jurcina getting healthy scratched. Lewis is a huge question mark for me. And they are getting the injury bug so I expect the losing to continue for a while.

Yes I think Chara's overrated. He's certainly no Shore, Orr, Park, or Bourque, but he's a very good defensemen. Is he over paid? Yes. Is he a good addition to the team? Also yes.

'Flub of Hockey' - That's a good one, but I think it's a little early in the season to start using it regularly. Did you coin that? It's like 'It's Called Ruins'. No matter what slogan the Bruins use (notice I didn't say create - they steal/borrow from sports writers), they will be parodied.

BlueAndGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2006, 11:09 AM
saskbruin44*
Stanley Cup Champs

Send a message via ICQ to saskbruin44*
Let's all take a deep breath.....relax - only game #7 in the season.
I agree lines 3 and 4 provide spark, but things will gel with our top six(Kessel's goal, nice set up by Bergy)
I'm more concerned with our dmen

saskbruin44* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2006, 11:13 AM
Backin72

Quote:
Well put together teams are able to overcome adversity.

Quote:
Chara was exposed last year against the speedy forwards. We were supposed to learn from that. Although I don't mind Chara, he's playing way too much and being paid a tad too much. But hey, I guess that's the FA market.

Quote:
You are what your teammates make you, so I'm not throwing the book at him yet.

Quote:
Somewhat concerned. Have they put too much pressure on him at such a young age? Big $$$, wearing the A. Deja vu?[/quote]

Backin72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2006, 11:25 AM
Westfield Eagle*

Send a message via AIM to Westfield Eagle*
I love it. The team's not winning because they lack "identity" and "character".

Give me a freakin' break.

They aren't winning because they aren't a very good team talent wise right now. It's that simple. Other teams have more talent.

Last edited by Westfield Eagle*: 10-22-2006 at 12:57 PM.
Westfield Eagle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2006, 11:52 AM
neelynugs

DC - not sure if i can agree with much of what you said...especially the part about them being fun to watch. maybe the first few games, but last night i thought they did a great job - driving the net, throwing the body, creating chances. problem is, hannu let them down, and after that 3rd goal, they seemed disoriented as anything. oh, and brad stuart getting injured didn't help, since that opened the door for more minutes from dempsey and york.

neelynugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2006, 11:55 AM
Dr Hook

Send a message via MSN to Dr Hook
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westfield Eagle View Post
I love it. The team's not winning because they lack "intensity" and "character".

They aren't winning because they aren't a very good team talent wise right now. It's that simple. Other teams have more talent.
I agree. The guys that need to get it done are not getting it done out there- Boyes, Bergie, Savard, Muzz (to a lesser extent, he's been playing hard of late). Axe is Axe, always solid, and Kessel you can't complain about, but when you have 4 of your top 6 forwards not doing it, you are going to have problems. If they coulod score a bit more, we might be happier with the "intensity" and "character." Primeau, Donovan, Hoggan, Stastny, Brookbank- they've all played hard.
Then there's the defense. Unlike last season, so far it doesn't look like a lack of effort as much as a lack of chemistry and, sadly, talent.

Dr Hook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2006, 12:37 PM
Don Cherry*

Quote:
I love it. The team's not winning because they lack "intensity" and "character".

Where did I say that any of this was the reason they aren't winning? Where did I even use the word "intensity"?

My point, which you seemed to miss entirely, is that the team is about as blah and boring as it gets due to no character or identity. Feel free to continue to misquote me, however.

Old
10-22-2006, 12:39 PM
TwineTickler
TheUltimateBruin

Quote:
Originally Posted by neelynugs View Post
DC - not sure if i can agree with much of what you said...especially the part about them being fun to watch. maybe the first few games, but last night i thought they did a great job - driving the net, throwing the body, creating chances. problem is, hannu let them down, and after that 3rd goal, they seemed disoriented as anything. oh, and brad stuart getting injured didn't help, since that opened the door for more minutes from dempsey and york.
exactly what I was going to say.. they played spirited last night for the majority of the game.. I still think they are gonna be alright. Two of our top 4 are out for a few weeks... Mark Stuart (who could be a top 4) is out for a few more weeks.. Once these guys come back if we can find a way to stay healthy and the goaltending improves (which I think it will) I expect this team to have a great last 55-60 games.

TwineTickler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2006, 12:45 PM
Tim O'Reilly

Quote:

I agree.

I know its a "bad word" in todays NHL's, but this team is not tough. They are not tough. I am not saying goon it up, but hell lets at least a scrap in the game to change the pace. Fine its still early, but does anyone see little things happening that will change things? How long will it take Savard to have a breakout game?

Tim O'Reilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2006, 01:04 PM
SToMper!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergy and Boyes View Post
exactly what I was going to say.. they played spirited last night for the majority of the game.. I still think they are gonna be alright. Two of our top 4 are out for a few weeks... Mark Stuart (who could be a top 4) is out for a few more weeks.. Once these guys come back if we can find a way to stay healthy and the goaltending improves (which I think it will) I expect this team to have a great last 55-60 games.
They looked like a force in the first period. Flat out the folded when Toives did. They need to have confidence and time to develop it as a team before all these stupid knee-jerk indictments turn into more change for the sake of change.

SToMper! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2006, 01:05 PM
Westfield Eagle*

Send a message via AIM to Westfield Eagle*
Quote:
Where did I say that any of this was the reason they aren't winning? Where did I even use the word "intensity"?

My point, which you seemed to miss entirely, is that the team is about as blah and boring as it gets due to no character or identity. Feel free to continue to misquote me, however.
Sorry, I fixed my post for you.

Talking about a team's identity is like talking about having a "gameface" on (Hello Bob Knight)...it just doesn't mean a whole lot.

Maybe the B's appeard boring to you because they just don't have the talent to be a great team. That's how I see it at least.

Whether or not you want to consider a mgmt. change in philosophy, a coaching change, and personnel changes (injuries included) factors as to why this team lacks an "identity" than I don't know what to tell you.

I can't for the life of me understand why people thought this team was gonna be one of the best in the league, etc.

It's gonna take time for players to get used to each other, for the players to understand what the coaches want...

Believe me, winning solves everything. If this team starts winning we'll all be saying how exciting the games are, and what the team's "identity" is.

Westfield Eagle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2006, 01:47 PM
bruinmann77

they are alot of holes there we have 2 defenseman who should not be there.
the goaltending has not been even close to good.
the 3rd and 4th liners have done well but the 1st ans and second lines have not done enough.Savard is a great passer but he needs to shoot a bit more.
it early but we said that last year and that team finished horrible.

bruinmann77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2006, 02:00 PM
pondnorth

DC you are right about the lack of grit out there this season,it makes the small players a little smaller,i`m not saying goons but guys who can play and get the puck down low to set up the shooters on this team.

pondnorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2006, 02:39 PM
Dean Youngblood

There is one simple reason that the bruins are not winning hockey games (and I know we are only 7 games into the season)

They Can't score goals. They are dreadfull and the Power Play and PK this season ( Savard was supposed to help).

Winning cures all..if they were winng games and yet only scoring 2 goals a game...we would not be talking about this.

However, they have scored 3 goals only two times this year.

If the math is correct.. after seven games they have scored only 14 goals while giving up 30.

Dean Youngblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2006, 03:11 PM
Lady Rhian
St. McQuaid he aint

Basically all new guys, new management, new set of coaches- only time will tell if these guys can put together an identity, DC.

Not playing more than 2 games a week could also be a problem- they've been playing Thursdays and Saturdays, with a long break (5 days) til the next game. I'd say with that much time off, it's hard to get any momentum going.

Injuries on the blueline aren't helping, Sturm being out as well the last two games hasn't helped.

Patience. I know it's hard, I'm just as frustrated you DC and others on here, but we all demanded changes in the organization, and we got them. Now we have to deal with the pains of the complete overhaul and wait and see how it all turns out. Making too many changes right now will only set the team back further.

If things are the same within the next two weeks, then perhaps a move or two might need to be made. Until then, let's keep our fingers crossed that guys start gelling, and that the team gets a couple of wins, before they all lose confidence in themselves as well as each other completely.

Lady Rhian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2006, 04:07 PM
mflo77

Quote:
I love it. The team's not winning because they lack "identity" and "character".

I really disagree with everybody think that this team lacks talent. Yes, our third and fourth lines aren't the prototype scoring forwards, but there is no excuse to call our first two lines "lack of talent". Bergeron, Boyes, Savard, Murray, Sturm, Kessel just have to find a way to find the back of the net.

mflo77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2006, 04:51 PM
janinepilkington

If you expect the worst, you'll never be disappointed...

Anyway, I think Lady Rhian said it best. Maybe I'm more laid back than most, but I'm just not worried about it yet. (Of course, I said that last season, right up until we were basically out of the playoffs) Despite the fact that Buffalo skated all over them last night, I didn't see any lack of heart with these guys. When I look at this team, I see a lot of good pieces that haven't yet begun to work together as a whole.

janinepilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2006, 06:40 PM
Blowfish

I like the team's intensity. Too bad they're facing early injury issues and some not so good goal tending.

It's still very early and IF [A BIG IF] the injury bug goes away, the Bruins will be a much more competitive team.

The only way I stay worried is if the Bruins continue to face injury problems.

You have to feel for Chicago losing Hanzous/Havalat.

Oh yeah...I like what I see on the power play as of late.

Cherry as usual always the optimist.

Blowfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2006, 01:12 AM
Bruinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by neelynugs View Post
I agree Nugs. IMO, that was not a 6-2 game. Buffalo really only earned 2 of their goals and one of those came on the heels of Bergeron hitting th inside of the goal post. The first Sabre goal is going to be stopped by an NHL Goalie 99 times out of 100. The second was a complete gaff gift by Hannu. The third took a Sabre bounce off of a Bruin's Skate to an open Pomminville. The 4th was legit. The fifth was another lucky bounce when Drury's centring pass went off Marha's shoulder into their own net. The sixth came right after Bergeron hit the post at the other end. The Bruins' overall effort in this game outside of Hannu's goaltending and the unlucky bounces easily could have produced a victory in this game. Considering our opponent, I was encouraged by the intensity and determination of the team. And let's face it, it must have been extremely deflating for all of them when Hannu gave that goal away. I think it is way too early to expect a team that has been completely overhauled the way this one has to have an identity or cohesiveness.

Bruinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2006, 02:59 AM
VeddarRants
HEART AND SOUL

I don't agree with a lot of the points in his post, but DC does bring up a good fact: Bergeron has to step up his game. I wonder if the added pressure of being a 'money' (pun intended) player has shell shocked him a little. He has the talent and the drive to be much better than what his peformance currently suggests, and I expect to see him snap out of it. I think he started off slow last year too... am I right?

It's unfortunate that we've been hit by the injury bug so early in the season. Our defense was shaping up to be a team strength... now we're missing 2 key pieces in Stuart and Alberts.

VeddarRants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2006, 03:26 AM
SniperMogilny2K6*

Marc Savard should be captain.

He's a good character player

SniperMogilny2K6* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2006, 05:56 AM
Don Cherry*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blowfish View Post
I like the team's intensity. Too bad they're facing early injury issues and some not so good goal tending.

It's still very early and IF [A BIG IF] the injury bug goes away, the Bruins will be a much more competitive team.

The only way I stay worried is if the Bruins continue to face injury problems.

You have to feel for Chicago losing Hanzous/Havalat.

Oh yeah...I like what I see on the power play as of late.

Cherry as usual always the optimist.
Nice to see someone else (aside from Chia, of course) using the lame injury excuse and throwing Hannu under the bus.

It's called depth and ours doesn't seem to be too deep when you can't make a call to Providence for a servicable defenseman.

Old
10-23-2006, 06:33 AM
BlueAndGold

Quote:
It's called depth and ours doesn't seem to be too deep when you can't make a call to Providence for a servicable defenseman.
Lewis plays York and Dempsey and scratches Jurcina. We have the depth in Jurcina and D-men in Providence, but we have a coach who seems to put veteran experience ahead of talent. I hope this won't become a repeat Sullivan nightmare.

BlueAndGold is offline   Reply With Quote