HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

4th line has produced no offence

Old
10-22-2006, 08:56 AM
Balk
Healthy Scratch

vCash: 500
4th line has produced no offence

I was just checking out the stats for the Habs and I realized that the 4th line has not produced a goal yet this season and subsequently are all minuses. Thinking back to the games I have watched so far, I haven't really seen them create any opportunities in the offensive zone either. This could turn out to be a problem as the year progresses and it is a consequence of the Ribeiro trade because Bonk and Begin seemed to have good chemistry last year. Although the Bonk line this year has been one of the best at even strength and he seems to be the player we wanted to get. A far better upgrade of Juneau.

I am not trying to sound negative in, what has been so far, a very positive season. I just wanted to bring this to your attention and see what you think.

Go Habs!!!

Cheers,

Balk

Balk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2006, 09:04 AM
Mike8

I agree, the fourth line is still a problem. However the past couple of games, I haven't found them to be a consistent liability on the ice, as they were at the beginning of the season. That's a plus, I suppose.

Mike8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2006, 09:05 AM
Mr. Hab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balk View Post
I was just checking out the stats for the Habs and I realized that the 4th line has not produced a goal yet this season and subsequently are all minuses. Thinking back to the games I have watched so far, I haven't really seen them create any opportunities in the offensive zone either. This could turn out to be a problem as the year progresses and it is a consequence of the Ribeiro trade because Bonk and Begin seemed to have good chemistry last year. Although the Bonk line this year has been one of the best at even strength and he seems to be the player we wanted to get. A far better upgrade of Juneau.

I am not trying to sound negative in, what has been so far, a very positive season. I just wanted to bring this to your attention and see what you think.

Go Habs!!!

Cheers,

Balk
Don't worry!! Begin and Murray usually get minutes for PK and then about 7-8 minutes for 5 on 5...

They will score sooner than later + the good news is that maybe (just maybe) the Samsonov-Kovalev line will click...this is more important 'cause they get lots of ice time to produce offense.

The 4th line is there to crash and bang, and also to give "rest time" to the 3 other lines...

Mr. Hab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2006, 09:15 AM
ChemiseBleuHonnete

Some people won't admit it, but Begin as been atrocious thus far this season.

ChemiseBleuHonnete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2006, 09:23 AM
beowulf
Not a nice guy.

Send a message via MSN to beowulf
The 4th line has had the worst start of all the lines imo. People where *****ing about the 2nd line but all the time it was that 4th line that worried me most. The second line is starting to come around and I hope that the fourth can soon.

beowulf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2006, 09:32 AM
Louis Houde

Send a message via MSN to Louis Houde
I agree with the poster above, Steve Bégin looks lost, he stop thinking about his role to save Latendresse 's @ss.

But soon! very soon! Latendresse hits everybody ,plays well, thats gonna give a break to Bégin and he'll focus on his play.

No worries my friend, the 4th line will get better and will be somehow a scoring treat

Louis Houde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2006, 09:40 AM
GoodKiwi

Quote:
Originally Posted by beowulf View Post
The 4th line has had the worst start of all the lines imo. People where *****ing about the 2nd line but all the time it was that 4th line that worried me most. The second line is starting to come around and I hope that the fourth can soon.
How can you possibly say that 4th line worried you more than the second? I understand that Kovy and the crew turned it around since, but when both lines had a slow start it was pretty clear that we are more lost without our second line and their full effort than we are with our 4th line not producing.

GoodKiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2006, 09:43 AM
Nobak

Quote:
Originally Posted by P1x44r View Post
How can you possibly say that 4th line worried you more than the second? I understand that Kovy and the crew turned it around since, but when both lines had a slow start it was pretty clear that we are more lost without our second line and their full effort than we are with our 4th line not producing.
I don't think it was a question of the 4th line not producing. The concern was probably about how it was constantly stuck in the defensive zone.

Nobak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2006, 09:43 AM
Mike8

Quote:
Originally Posted by P1x44r View Post
Because the fourth line was repeatedly hemmed in their own zone. The second line, while a liability defensively, at least generated some chances--even if they were solo efforts. They were also semi-competent defensively. The fourth line was creating opportunities for the opposition.

Mike8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2006, 09:51 AM
Munchausen
Full Time A-hole

When we're starting whinning about the 4th line, you know we're doing good.

Begin's not been his usual self I agree, maybe a move back to wing would be welcomed. But there's only a marginal difference, at least in terms of offensive production, between a struggling 4th line and one that's doing ok.

We saw Latendresse finally come out of his shell yesterday so that's a big positive. There were a few shifts where the 3 of them kept buzzing and banging, probably feeding from the crowd (and vice versa) and really, that's all I ask of them. They are only there to create momentum and build energy for the other lines. Aside from that role, I don't really care how much goals they score. The 3 first lines have to produce offensively, but the 4th? Considering their role and limited ice time 5-on-5, no. That being said, they don't always create good momentum and they'll need to work on that. I thought Downey helped a little for that. Plus you don't want them to be minus players either.

Munchausen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2006, 09:52 AM
GoodKiwi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nobak View Post
I don't think it was a question of the 4th line not producing. The concern was probably about how it was constantly stuck in the defensive zone.
I realize that word 'producing' means very different between 2nd and 4th lines.

GoodKiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2006, 10:04 AM
VGTvidz

Quote:
Originally Posted by franchise player View Post
Some people won't admit it, but Begin as been atrocious thus far this season.
I think he looked wayyyyy better last year with Bonk, glad we didn't give him the moon when we signed him. But I guess we can't blame him, playing with a rookie who's a little bit lost sometimes. He's still doing a great job on the PK though... we only allowed 4 goals so far this year which is sick if you look at how many penalties we had.

VGTvidz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2006, 10:24 AM
Teufelsdreck

Latendresse may display offensive ability later on, but he's obviously not up to it now. His present linemates are offensively challenged, and that will never change. Worst of all, there's no cohesion among the three. They don't seem to know what they're supposed to do. Remember all the complaints about Sundstrom, Dackell, and the rest of that crew? No one could ever accuse them of being of being befuddled. I'm afraid the fans overrated Murray. I'm not sure he'd make the fourth line of many teams. The Rangers didn't think he was good enough, and they shipped him to Hartford. I'd try Ferland in his place, or else bring up Lapierre and return Bégin to the wing. Bégin's forte is penalty killing and harassing, not playmaking or scoring.

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2006, 10:31 AM
Lestriker

Send a message via MSN to Lestriker
Well Latendresse played his best game of the season against the Avs. He was hitting a lot and got a scoring chance near the end.

Lestriker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2006, 10:51 AM
henri2014

Lats is playing better he actually did hit people yesterday not just boards. Hes getting better and better every game, we need a few blowouts to rest our top players and bring lats on the 1st or 2nd line to finish the game. Yesterday he had the chance to finish the game with better players and he looked better, he almost scored.

If no one gets injured on the top 3 lines until 5-10 games i think lats will be rdy to jump in to fill the hole after that 5-10 games.

And i agree our 4th line cannot generate nothing, tehy cant make a pass on tape. Im not impressed with Murray at all, downey played better. Begin is having a slow start and lats is a rookie. Maybe we should call up Ferland so that murray feels that he can loose his job.

henri2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2006, 11:10 AM
jcpenny

Just picture a Latendresse-Bégin-Lapierre line...Lapierre should be in the NHL.

jcpenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2006, 11:42 AM
AH

I have said since TC that Chipchura is the best option for 2nd line center in between the Russians. Plex doesnt mix with them because he is a poor man's version (VERY poor) of the same skill set that Sammy and Kovu bring.

Putting Plex on the 4th resolves a couple of issues, one that Tender has a playmaker on his line, and second that Begin moves back to wing.

AH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2006, 11:59 AM
Whitesnake
Steel your Habs away

vCash: 725
Does Murray ever played center?

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2006, 12:05 PM
Kafka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balk View Post

Go Habs!!!

Cheers,

Balk
I think different: it's good news!

Our 2nd and 4th lines aren't producing enough but we win. When our 1st and 3rd lines will be less productive, when injuries will occur, then these players will have to contribute. Still, I am not surprised. Our fourth line is made of Begin (energy guy), Murray (energy guy) and Latendresse, a young player that at this stage could help better players by creating scoring opportunities and/or stand in front of the net on the PP. On a fourth line, he can't offensively contribute.

Even if the fourth line hasn't score a goal, I am WWWWWAAAAAAYYYYYY more concerned about finding a way to increase Samsonov and Kovalev's production. I guess that Bonk will eventually be moved on this line.

Kafka is offline   Reply With Quote