HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rebuilding

Old
10-22-2006, 09:35 AM
HamiltonOHL
BulldogsFan00

vCash: 500
Rebuilding

With Clarke resigned and Hitchock fired what trades would u do now to rebuild the team

HamiltonOHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2006, 09:42 AM
Flyers_01

It's only what 8 games into the season? Less than a month ago everyone thought this team had a lot of talent that needed to mature. That's still true. The talent is there if it can be brought out. We have 11 players who are either rookies or sophmores. How much younger do you want to get? Rebuilding isn't necessary, virtually the same roster scored 100 points last year and the majority of the team is under 30. The problem is patience. Set some lines, let the same players play together for a few games. Hitch's overtinkering doomed this team as much as anything else. The only thing that could possibly be done is to waive Hatcher, everyone else should stay. If the players, especially the young players only play as well as they did last year, we still make the playoffs this year.

Flyers_01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2006, 09:50 AM
Kafka

Well, it wouldn't be that bad for Phili to take one season to take a step back. Carter, Richards, Umberger and Pitkanen form a solid nucleus to build around. Next year, there will be a few UFAs available to play in the net (in fact, the only thing I am sure about since last year is that Esche doesn't belong to the NHL, so maybe getting a no.2 goaltender could be enough)... and by getting rid of Rathje, Hatcher and Forsberg throuth the year, Phili could be next year a transformed team.

Kafka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2006, 10:12 AM
Jerky Leclerc

The Flyers need to overhaul the defense. I'm not sure who's available as a UFA next summer but the Flyers may have to give up some talent on the forward end to build the back end. Guys like Hatcher, Rathje, and Gauthier need to be traded, release, demoted, etc before next season. I would use Peter Forsberg as trade bait and see if I could get a quality player in return.

Jerky Leclerc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2006, 10:47 AM
Steve L*

I dont think they need to rebuild, I think the problem was 100% Hitchcock. This team can do very well with a bit of tweaking.

Steve L* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2006, 10:49 AM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve L View Post
I dont think they need to rebuild, I think the problem was 100% Hitchcock. This team can do very well with a bit of tweaking.
the problem is never 100% anything...

we're going to see what happens... if they can't work out a deal with Forsberg to extend him, then they need to trade him at the deadline if he's willing to go somewhere for a top D prospect.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2006, 10:53 AM
Pantokrator
Who's the clown?

No need to trade Forsberg. Besides the fact he is the captain and has a no trade clause, the guy can play when healthy and sets a good example with his effort.

Pantokrator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2006, 10:55 AM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantokrator View Post
No need to trade Forsberg. Besides the fact he is the captain and has a no trade clause, the guy can play when healthy and sets a good example with his effort.
if he's not signed through next year and we're not making the playoffs, he NEEDS to be traded, if possible.

Old
10-22-2006, 10:56 AM
RoDu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
if he's not signed through next year and we're not making the playoffs, he NEEDS to be traded, if possible.
We can **** a team in a trade for him at the deadline

RoDu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2006, 10:59 AM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodu View Post
We can **** a team in a trade for him at the deadline
yes, if we're in a position where we're moving Forsberg... there will be a massive bidding war.

Old
10-22-2006, 11:03 AM
RoDu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
yes, if we're in a position where we're moving Forsberg... there will be a massive bidding war.

exactly

Old
10-22-2006, 11:05 AM
fuhr

Well, hopefully the blender Hitch seemed to use game in game out this season is gone. Let some chemistry build on the lines and you guys should be better as the season progresses.

One thing though, some of you with the they should trade Hatcher & Rathje comments are laughable. Whom do you guys think would take these guys? Everyone else sees how slow they are in todays game so why would anyone want them? Those guys are Flyers until their deals are up because no one wants them, especially at the $ they are making.

Good luck to you guys and I'm pretty sure the Flyers are going to turn things around and I still think you guys will find your way into the playoffs or just barely come up short.

fuhr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2006, 11:06 AM
Renholder
Racing like a pro

Montreal was going nowhere last year until they fired Claude Julien and then Gainey Came on board, Hired Carbo, traded theodore and started playing like how we can.

Hopefully The flyers get their ***** together after this and the weaklinks get traded. Sending down Nedved and Co was a start now, the players that are not performing has to be traded/dealth with. Simple as that. A coaching and management change is maybe all that this team needs to excell. I kind of feel bad seeing a perenial cup contender like the flyers struggling like this, it's not good for the game. Hopefully, things get better.

Renholder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2006, 11:11 AM
RoDu

Without his oversized fanboy, how long does Hatcher have untill his stall in the locker room is taken by some young Phantom?

Old
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renholder View Post
Montreal was going nowhere last year until they fired Claude Julien and then Gainey Came on board, Hired Carbo, traded theodore and started playing like how we can.

Hopefully The flyers get their ***** together after this and the weaklinks get traded. Sending down Nedved and Co was a start now, the players that are not performing has to be traded/dealth with. Simple as that. A coaching and management change is maybe all that this team needs to excell. I kind of feel bad seeing a perenial cup contender like the flyers struggling like this, it's not good for the game. Hopefully, things get better.
you guys started out 12-3-1 last year and then injuries started to happen... just saying.

Old
MojoJojo

This slump might kill our playoff chances. With the league as competitive as it is, this hole is going to be very hard to climb out of. Of course its possible if everyone plays up to potential, but I put the odds of this team making the playoffs at less than 50%. If we are not likely to make the playoffs by the deadline, I'll be all for a rebuild, with Forsberg, Knuble, Gagne all on the block (as well as Esche, Hatcher, Rathje, etc if anyone wants them).

MojoJojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2006, 11:12 AM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by MojoJojo View Post
This slump might kill our playoff chances. With the league as competitive as it is, this hole is going to be very hard to climb out of. Of course its possible if everyone plays up to potential, but I put the odds of this team making the playoffs at less than 50%. If we are not likely to make the playoffs by the deadline, I'll be all for a rebuild, with Forsberg, Knuble, Gagne all on the block (as well as Esche, Hatcher, Rathje, etc if anyone wants them).
Gagne is young (25) and signed... two very nice things. i'm not moving him.

Old
10-22-2006, 11:12 AM
FlyersFanJS

i honestly don't think we see any trades real early...i think stevens will have some time to work with what he's got. if that doesn't work out, then some players will be moved....IMO

FlyersFanJS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2006, 11:13 AM
RoDu

I can live without making the playoffs. I'd be happy as long as this team starts to improve, and keep improving as the season progresses. And to draft good like good ol' Clarke would have done

Old
10-22-2006, 11:22 AM
RC51

Forsberg is in his last year of his contract. It's a big contract.
Their won't be a MASSIVE bidding war.
if you have a team thats not going to make the playoffs, you don't bid. If you have no cap room you don't bid. If you have a team thats already looking great you dont bid.

As a rent a player for a cup run then maybe, but if you have the room.

If Philly waits too long they wont get anything,contract over.
If you take a command decission to rebuild, the maximum you get is now, each month you wait Forsberg is worth less in return.

A massive bidding war would only be created by Crosby,Malkin,Ovechkin and such, top producers,top upside potential for years too come and earning CHEAP money right now.

SO go ahead make a decission, keep him, trade him, but do it NOW and live with it.

RC51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2006, 11:35 AM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC51 View Post
if you have a team thats not going to make the playoffs, you don't bid. If you have no cap room you don't bid. If you have a team thats already looking great you dont bid.

If you take a command decission to rebuild, the maximum you get is now, each month you wait Forsberg is worth less in return.

A massive bidding war would only be created by Crosby,Malkin,Ovechkin and such, top producers,top upside potential for years too come and earning CHEAP money right now.

SO go ahead make a decission, keep him, trade him, but do it NOW and live with it.
there will be plenty of teams capable of picking up the final 1/3 of that contract if they're in the running for the cup.

Old
10-22-2006, 11:44 AM
blah

They need to figure out what they have, what they need, who they keep, and who they can trade.

They're not going to blow the entire team up if that's what everybody is expecting. There's no reason to go that far.

blah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2006, 11:48 AM
fogducker

if salo was available at the trade deadline how much would you pay for him?

fogducker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2006, 11:49 AM
MojoJojo

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC51 View Post

OK, at the trade deadline all you need is about 1.8 mil in cap room for Forsberg, since the cap is the total amount paid over the season, and only about a quarter of his total salary will be owed to him by the deadline. Last year of contract is exactly what you are looking for in rent a players, as it doesnt put you over the cap next season. This is why every contender doesnt spend up to the limit, and gives themselves a buffer. You have to completely ignore recent history to think a top guy like Forsberg wouldnt generate interest. If Fricken Bendan Witt can get a first round pick at the deadline (last year under the cap), imagine what a dominant player like Forsberg can bring. For an average playoff team, he immediately puts them into the top tier of cup contenders.

Long term cap management is not the only thing in play. Teams want to win now, and there have always been a dozen teams every year willing to mortgage the future for a cup run. Every single team looking to improve at the deadline would be improved considerably with Forsberg. The biggest question really is whether PF would waive his No Trade Clause to go to a contender. Given his competitive instincts though, I cant see him wanting to stay with Philly if we are still dysfunctional and out of the picture by then.

MojoJojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2006, 11:54 AM
FlyersProspect2

Send a message via AIM to FlyersProspect2
I don't like the idea of trading Gagne. He is far closer to the solution than he is to the problem.

Any player in their contract year should be considered available assuming we don't become a playoff contender. Then there are the players who aren't in their contract years that we just want to give away regardless if we are a contender.

Stocking up the prospect pool is a very enticing idea.

FlyersProspect2 is offline   Reply With Quote