HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

John Stevens our new coach

Old
10-22-2006, 10:20 AM
DXFlyers

vCash: 500
John Stevens our new coach

http://www.philadelphiaflyers.com/pr...chive/2781.asp

I am extremely happy. He made the youth work for our Calder Cup run. He may have a better understanding for the new NHL.

DXFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2006, 10:23 AM
FlyersFanJS

he also knows how to develop young talent, unlike hitchcock

FlyersFanJS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2006, 10:33 AM
TheKingPin

Quote:
Originally Posted by DXFlyers View Post
http://www.philadelphiaflyers.com/pr...chive/2781.asp

I am extremely happy. He made the youth work for our Calder Cup run. He may have a better understanding for the new NHL.
He has to have a better understanding than hitch. Hopefully he installs an all out O that can dominate like they have the potential too.

New coach New lines? Im hoping that we have a massive shakedown of lines. We need to stick guys like Rosie on the first line to develope al la Colorado and San Jose etc etc(second line).

TheKingPin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2006, 10:53 AM
RoDu
Shagga likes axes

I think I like Stevens as coach. He's young, but so is alot of this team. He's coached with most of them too from the Phantoms days, so he isn't a complete stranger them

Carter
Richards
Umberger
Ruzicka
Nittymaki
Eager
Pitkanen
Meyer
Jones

RoDu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2006, 12:07 PM
MojoJojo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodu View Post
I think I like Stevens as coach. He's young, but so is alot of this team. He's coached with most of them too from the Phantoms days, so he isn't a complete stranger them

Carter
Richards
Umberger
Ruzicka
Nittymaki
Eager
Pitkanen
Meyer
Jones
Dont forget Kane and Picard. To be fair though, Carter and Richards really only played for him a short stint during the Calder run.

MojoJojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2006, 12:10 PM
John Flyers Fan

I personally don't think that Stevens is going to be a great long-term solution, but he was option that makes the most sense at this time.

IMO the two years that the Phantoms have won the Calder Cup they were absolutely stacked and made Stevens & Barber look like better coaches than they actually are

John Flyers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2006, 12:15 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 1503
Interesting article, though from before today's announcement, that evaluates player transactions, possible coaches, etc.:

The e-mails have been rolling in fast and furious. The rumor-mongers in Canada have already begun circling like the vultures they are. Soon, the fervor will make its way onto talk radio in Philadelphia and then all bets are off. "Fire Ken Hitchcock! He canít coach in the new-NHL! He refuses to adapt his old-fashioned, boring, defense-first mentality to the speedier, more skillful, offense-intensive style employed today!"

http://www.zwire.com/site/news.cfm?n...id=18170&rfi=6

MiamiScreamingEagles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2006, 02:47 PM
Roger's Pancreas*

Send a message via AIM to Roger's Pancreas*
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Flyers Fan View Post
I personally don't think that Stevens is going to be a great long-term solution, but he was option that makes the most sense at this time.

IMO the two years that the Phantoms have won the Calder Cup they were absolutely stacked and made Stevens & Barber look like better coaches than they actually are
Agreed on all accounts.

Roger's Pancreas* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2006, 03:22 PM
pelts35.com

I believe that Stevens is being set up as the scapegoat when things do not turn around and that Snider will have a long interviewing process for next season.

Between Stevens and Terry Murray, the two of them combined don't have the personality of one person and I fear that this team is going to take on the same boring personality. Add Holmgren in and they still don't have the personality of one person either.

The only good news out of this is that the goalie "controversy" should be over as I think that Stevens will make it clear that Niittymaki is the starter while Rebound Rob is the backup.

pelts35.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2006, 03:45 PM
John Flyers Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by pelts35.com View Post
The only good news out of this is that the goalie "controversy" should be over as I think that Stevens will make it clear that Niittymaki is the starter while Rebound Rob is the backup.

That's already been made clear as this season has gone on. On that note as well, Niittymaki needs to play much better.

Old
10-22-2006, 03:49 PM
pelts35.com

Quote:
That's already been made clear as this season has gone on. On that note as well, Niittymaki needs to play much better.
I don't think it was made clear by Hitch. Even though Niittymaki was clearly better in training camp, Esche still got the start on opening night (which is typically a game that your starting goaltender would start) and started against Buffalo (typically your starter gets the nod against the best team in the league).

If Esche's play doesn't improve drastically soon, he may very well find himself on waivers and potentially in a Phantoms jersey.

pelts35.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2006, 03:56 PM
John Flyers Fan

Quote:
I don't think it was made clear by Hitch. Even though Niittymaki was clearly better in training camp, Esche still got the start on opening night (which is typically a game that your starting goaltender would start) and started against Buffalo (typically your starter gets the nod against the best team in the league).

If Esche's play doesn't improve drastically soon, he may very well find himself on waivers and potentially in a Phantoms jersey.
Esche only started opening night because Niitty was still not 100% from the cortisone shot he took earlier in the week.

Old
10-22-2006, 04:15 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5792
I agree that John Stevens is not a long-term solution. I was hoping that he would simply be named an interim coach, but that doesn't mean it can't work. Mike Babcock, Randy Carlyle they've made it work. You gotta have the right guy though who knows what they're doing, and only time will tell.

Three things I want to see happen:

-I hope he has the balls to break up the top line completely.
-I hope he has a strategy to open up the offense and power play.
-I hope hope he'll be able to handle veteran player. When you lack leadership among your players, you need to have it in your coach, and even though Hitchcockian tactics stopped working, he certaily had that going for him.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2006, 10:02 PM
jumptheshark
Give the dog a bone

vCash: 1850
I think Stevens will be better with the kids then Hitch

Hitch was always known to be rough on kids--even with Kamloops

jumptheshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2006, 11:16 PM
flyersfan97

Although I'm sure their will be some sort of adjustment period, my #1 hope is that Stevens allows whatever lines he chooses to gel. #2-do something about our beyond dismal PP, and #3-break up the human pylons along the blue line.

flyersfan97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2006, 02:33 PM
COMCASTMONEY
pay ya cable bills.

I hope he just lets the forwards go. Hitch's system seems like it was terribly opressive offensively. I mean, Radio was a 4th line/healthy scratch guy as a Flyer, he's now on the first line of one of the best teams in the league.

COMCASTMONEY is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2006, 03:02 PM
Stonehands77

Quote:

I'm going to have to disagree on that first point. Esche has only started two games this season, and Nitty has started 6. I'd say that's a pretty clear indication of who is the starter and who isn't. Unless you think that giving one guy three times as many starts isn't pointing to one guy as the starter.

As for Stevens, I'll withhold judgement for now, as I don't know much about him. I'll be honest, that I'm not very optimistic here that Stevens will be a savior. Perhaps he can get guys to move on the PP and find a way to get it to work, or find a way to get guys like Richards, Carter, Umberger, and Calder to be able to hit the back of the net. More realistically, it looks to me like these kids weren't quite as ready to step up as everyone (including me) thought they were, and we're going to watch what all teams that rely on youth go through: lots of struggles, with flashes of brilliance. So, unless Stevens has some magical way of getting Carter to stop trying to shoot THROUGH the goalie, I'll remain guarded in my expectations.

Stonehands77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2006, 03:14 PM
ThememanXX
It's a hockey night!

Send a message via AIM to ThememanXX
Latest rumor is Craig Berube has been named assistant coach, leaving Kjell Samuelsson to man the bench in the AHL.

ThememanXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2006, 03:33 PM
NJFlyer42

Quote:

I completely agree. My hope is that Stevens is able to get them to take the next few steps in their development and then bring someone in to get them over the hump. Maybe they'll be mature enough for Hitch by then.

NJFlyer42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2006, 03:43 PM
runkle

http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Hockey/NHL...105124-ca.html

Figured I would post this article about Stevens, saw it on another board but not here yet (sorry if it was already posted someplace and I missed it)

runkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2006, 04:41 PM
Gert B Frobe

Stevens said in the press conference the other day that there is nothing wrong with the system they have been playing in Philly. He also said he would stick to the system that had the Flyers with the best record in the league half way through last season. Further he said that the Flyers problem was in the execution - not the system. These obviously are not direct quotes - but troubling to say the least.

Sure the Flyers execution of their "system" has sucked - but if you ask me the system sucks too and should be completely trashed. Stevens is not going to do that which makes baby Jesus cry.

Gert B Frobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2006, 04:44 PM
Gert B Frobe

Berube as an assistant in the NHL?

Gert B Frobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2006, 11:10 PM
Greaves

Hey I just read a little piece on your new head coach/Hitch/Richards/Gagne...and I must say I look forward to seeing what he can do with this team. He seems like a very genuine guy, a nice guy. So although I'm a Pens fan, maybe I'll tune in for the next Flyers game!

Good luck to all.

Greaves is offline   Reply With Quote