HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Post Oil-Hab Chill-Fest

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
11-22-2003, 06:00 PM
  #1
Guy!
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 840
vCash: 500
Post Oil-Hab Chill-Fest

What a day for the NHL!

First the old-timers game which brought back waves and waves of memories (could Robinson still be a solid blueliner for us or what! End to end!), and then a win for the young boys (relatively speaking) against the Oil. First of all, hats off to the Edmonton organization for pulling off one of the best hockey events in recent memory. Secondly, Kudos to all the alums who played and coached. Thirdly, a big thank you to Pedneault who may just have read my comments the other night because when Houde was patting Breezer on the back, Pedneault was very quick to respond with an equally enthusiastic Markov.

A lasting impression for me: players flying in at the net and then coming to a stop sending up not a brief snow fall, but a tempestuous snow flurry that obscured feet for more than a couple of seconds. Brilliant!

Before moving to the game itself, I want to talk briefly about Hossa and Hainsey sitting out again in favour of Kilger and Bouillon. I have to think there's something in the works at this point, either by showcasing talent on the ice or by pulling the two kids because a decision has already been made and is just pending approval. True, both kids still have a lot to learn, but the club's mantra of playing youth at the beginning of the year has been left to the side recently, and I can't see justifying not playing them for so many games in a row.

To the game in question, and despite obvious ice issues, it was not bad at all. There was a good tempo and, probably because of those same ice issues, some very good scoring opportunities. The Habs didn't have as many shots and couldn't sustain quite the same pressure that the Oil managed, but they acquitted themselves well and played a solid defensive game while capitalizing on bounces and errors.

~~

Notes:

Theo: Poor bugger must be frozen. He was all over the place on the ice, his butterfly style not working for him. Instead he played a real game of shinny hockey where he was throwing himself all over the place and, while that'll work for one game, I think he'll look forward to getting back to a regular rink so he can get back to his game. None of the three could be attributed to him, in my opinion. A

Bouillon: Feisty lil bugger, ain't he. He was back to his typical game tonight and laid a couple of solid checks out there, but he was also muscled off the puck regularly which lead to some rather precarious situations. At least when he has the puck he makes something happen. B

Rivet: I'm not sure which nickname suits him better: Traffic Cone 52 or Panic Man. He showed a little of both tonight and managed to cough up the puck a couple of times as well as launch it down ice for no apparent reason. Then again, this was a better game than his average one of late. B-

Quintal: Not sure what he was doing on goal number two against as he marked out Theo instead of his man. He's really a step behind against this kind of faster team and if his positional play isn't spot on, which it wasn't tonight, he can leave wide open spaces for the opposition to make use of. C+

Souray. Nice goal. On the other hand, at least he was first on the puck and attempting to corrall it with Theo. On the other hand, I found him a step behind much of the night and the Oil attackers were preying on him regularly. He's physical, but at times tries to do too much with the body while he could simply get the puck and get it out. B

Brisebois: Who'd a thunk the day'd come when we'd say, with all seriousness, that Breezer was one of the two best defenders on the club - by a landslide. He played a strong game, was rarely, if ever, caught out of position, and didn't make a cross-ice bonehead pass. Simple game, big success. A

Markov: Slowly but surely the confidence returns. Make that quickly as it took about two games and a period. He looks calm and cool and is doing all those things which makes everyone think he can be a real leader on this defence. Moves the puck quickly and effectively and plays a positionally sound game. His physical aspect is less than a Souray, but it's effective in angling out players. Nice to see him on his game again. A

Langdon: Well, he got to play. He also did his job for the time he was on the ice, and that's all you can ask. Hope those heaters at the bench were effective, though. B

Begin: Surprisingly, he wasn't all over the ice tonight, and I would have thought the national spotlight would have brought out the best in his game. He didn't lay on the body as much as usual - possibly because of the cold - however still worked like a madman chasing down the puck. B+

Kilger: I'll go to bed tonight still wondering why Hossa wasn't given the chance to play in this game over Kilger the Weak. For someone with size, he was pathetic. I find his efforts to be getting worse and worse all the time, instead of working harder after a benching. If there's one player that really needs to get out of Montreal, it's him. F

Dackell: Favourite whipping boy of Hab fans everywhere, yet still managed another good game. He ended up a -1 on the night, but there's no way any of those goals even remotely go back to him. In fact, this was a typical Dax game with decent offensive movement and solid defensive movement. B+

Juneau: Old man still manages to check out the oppositions best lines, though tonight he was having more problems because of the speed generated by the Oil. Instead of cutting them off at the pass, he ended up having to keep them to the perimeter, ultimately allowing them to keep the puck, but still managing to minimize damage. Which is what intelligent players do. B+

Bulis: Speed almost got him a couple of goals, if only the puck wasn't hopping like a rabbit on the run from a fox hunt. His forecheck is fast becoming one of the most useful things the Habs have when they've got the lead. He manages not only to hold up the attack, but also to puck it back behind its own net quite frequently. A-

Sundstrom: Another solid game on that second line. Perhaps he's finding a bit of a groove finally - certainly he's moving with more confidence and getting the puck to his teammates with more efficiency. I still, however, am frustrated by his absolute lack of second effort. If a play fails, he's the first to curl away and cruise back into defensive mode. B

Ribeiro: I found he was kept to the outside tonight as a perimeter player, but I also felt that when he got the puck, he was the one most able to do attempt to do something with it on this ice surface - with mixed results. I have to question his decision making at times, and I think playing in front of a larger audience had his mind less on the game, at times, and more on how good he looked, and those are two things which I believe lead him to be less than what he could be. B-

Perreault: This is the kind of game he needs to play. If you're going to stink it up in your own zone, you'd better over compensate and tear it up in the attacking zone. Tonight, he did a great job mixing it up and, as all good goal scorers do, he was constantly in motion thereby creating many scoring chances. If he's going to be successful at this level, he has to play that way every night, not when it suits him. A-

Ryder: Good come back game for him. He was working much harder and threw the body a few times, and after last game, he really needed that. The assist was great to see, mostly because it found him in front of the opposition net, and as a forward, when you do that good things happen. B+

Zednik: Again, keep in movement if you're a scorer and you'll have lots more chances than if you stand still. He got two goals because he kept working. He was actually pretty good on the boards as well, and even hit a couple tonight. A-

Koivu: One of those games where you work hard, help your teammates create and score but don't figure into the actual scoresheet. I was particularly pleased with his defensive work tonight, and I think Julien relies on him as the second defensive centre now. B+

~~

It's a little harder to judge a game like that, particularly when the spectacle is something like it was. Plus, there was that damn camera on the wire in front of the regular camera and every time it went by, I kept thinking someone was hurt and sliding along the ice. Still, once the first three or four minutes were out of the way, I thought they players settled down for the most part to concentrate on the game, and so did I.

And our road trip ends with the team gaining five points out of ten, which has to leave everyone pleased since that's what you generally hope for on a road trip. Home to meet up again with Vancouver who play tonight and again on Monday before playing the Habs on Tuesday. Hopefully we can take advantage of a little fatigue, but more importantly, it's very important that we don't play a typical first home game after a long trip - slow and lazy. The boys have to come out strong and fast and take it to the 'Nuck-Nucks or it'll be a long night.

And if I have one piece of advice for Hab fans for the next few days, stay close to the media because I think there's at least a decent chance something might happen soon.

Cheers to the hardy fans who watched both games! To you I raise my ice cold beer in my warm basement wearing just a t-shirt.

And wish I could have been there.

A concerned fan.

Edit: Whooo, first time as a stickey. I'm going to cling to this moment... Get it? Cling? Stick...cling...nevermind

Guy! is offline  
Old
11-22-2003, 06:15 PM
  #2
Team_Spirit
Gangsta Pleks
 
Team_Spirit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 23,496
vCash: 660
Perrault deserve A+ , it was his best game has a Hab . Your'e a bit hard on Souray , he played good on took Laraque out of the game many times . Ryder was awsome , he played with intensity and was a force almost all night long . Nice too see Zednik score elite-level goal , the last was was sweet . Theo was good , he keep us in the game in the 1st . Also Bouillon was good but i don't understand why CJ use him on the PP , i'm not a fan of Francis but i have to give him the credit for that good game .

Your a bit soft on Langdon , he didn't played a lot but when he was there he didn't used his body and was playing without energy . He was unable to create or complete any play and was innefective along the board . Begin played way better than him .

5 points out of 10 on the road , time to come home . I hope Hossa play the next game , he was doing well before Julien change the line-up .

Team_Spirit is offline  
Old
11-22-2003, 06:20 PM
  #3
Istvan
Registered User
 
Istvan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: SoCal
Posts: 1,309
vCash: 500
Nice post Guy. I pretty much agree with all of it. I was impressed with Brisebois, Dackell and Bouillon.
The commentators did say that the Habs crease is a friendly place for opposition forwards. This is not a good thing.
Kilger has shown me nothing.
Q looked tired out there.
The Hainsey/Hossa healthy scratch situation is tough to read. You may be right and a deal has been worked out but not finalized. Clearly Hossa deserves a spot over Kilger and Hainsey could have given new dad Q a couple of days of rest. We'll see.

I wonder if Habs will respond to the spear on Theo on Tues?

Istvan is offline  
Old
11-22-2003, 06:53 PM
  #4
Kasparov*
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Country: Russian Federation
Posts: 959
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jozeph_Balej
Perrault deserve A+ , it was his best game has a Hab . Your'e a bit hard on Souray , he played good on took Laraque out of the game many times . Ryder was awsome , he played with intensity and was a force almost all night long . Nice too see Zednik score elite-level goal , the last was was sweet . Theo was good , he keep us in the game in the 1st . Also Bouillon was good but i don't understand why CJ use him on the PP , i'm not a fan of Francis but i have to give him the credit for that good game .

Your a bit soft on Langdon , he didn't played a lot but when he was there he didn't used his body and was playing without energy . He was unable to create or complete any play and was innefective along the board . Begin played way better than him .

5 points out of 10 on the road , time to come home . I hope Hossa play the next game , he was doing well before Julien change the line-up .
That's a superb avatar

Kasparov* is offline  
Old
11-22-2003, 07:24 PM
  #5
Kirk Muller
Registered User
 
Kirk Muller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: FIRE THERRIEN
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,478
vCash: 500
Definitely a fun game to watch, but also very difficult. That floating camera was making me nausious, and the play was too quick for it.

As for the team, most guys had a solid game, nobody truly stood out but both Zednik and Perreault were opportunistic.

Kilger was god awful. He didn't play the body, and allowed Edmonton back into the game with his lazy penalty. Why Hossa is being looked over for this guy, only Julien knows why.

My final thought, I know this was a special game and all and they want it to be close and exciting, but you got to make the call when Smyth runs over Theodore. Theodore isn't one of those roaming goalies nor is he dirty a la Turco, these are the goalies that the rules were meant to protect. Maybe Montreal should protect the goalie, but then the instigator rule comes in.

Kirk Muller is online now  
Old
11-22-2003, 08:11 PM
  #6
goalchenyuk
Registered User
 
goalchenyuk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: montreal
Country: Vatican City State
Posts: 8,455
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nash13


My final thought, I know this was a special game and all and they want it to be close and exciting, but you got to make the call when Smyth runs over Theodore. Theodore isn't one of those roaming goalies nor is he dirty a la Turco, these are the goalies that the rules were meant to protect. Maybe Montreal should protect the goalie, but then the instigator rule comes in.
you 're right ...and the fact is that this situation is like that since a long time now...i think that in each game , a player is having a contact with Theo.Most of the time , they don't call the penality

once again , it show how far of the game is this @7?%#@ ! of garry Bettman..gezzz i hate this guy Am i the only one that observ that this big head have 1-2 kind of bodyguard that follow him everywhere ?nhl is not usa'' mr the president,,'' anyway i would like just for 15 minutes see this'' half man '' on the ice just to see his face when a player like Lindros skate on him '' pour le rentrer dans la bande !''
i am sure that he wouln't take too long before changing the rules after that...

goalchenyuk is offline  
Old
11-22-2003, 08:35 PM
  #7
G Man 77
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 432
vCash: 500
Nice post Guy!... check your private messages.

G Man 77 is offline  
Old
11-22-2003, 08:40 PM
  #8
KOMO_ROCKS
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Richmond, B.C
Posts: 4,788
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to KOMO_ROCKS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nash13
Definitely a fun game to watch, but also very difficult. That floating camera was making me nausious, and the play was too quick for it.

As for the team, most guys had a solid game, nobody truly stood out but both Zednik and Perreault were opportunistic.

Kilger was god awful. He didn't play the body, and allowed Edmonton back into the game with his lazy penalty. Why Hossa is being looked over for this guy, only Julien knows why.

My final thought, I know this was a special game and all and they want it to be close and exciting, but you got to make the call when Smyth runs over Theodore. Theodore isn't one of those roaming goalies nor is he dirty a la Turco, these are the goalies that the rules were meant to protect. Maybe Montreal should protect the goalie, but then the instigator rule comes in.
Agreed.....great game for Theodore, Zednik and Perreault especially....I certainly will not mind if Gainey trades Kilger, Rivet and maybe a high draft pick to get us that young powerforward we want

KOMO_ROCKS is offline  
Old
11-22-2003, 10:05 PM
  #9
Brisebois
Registered User
 
Brisebois's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Feeding Johan Sedin
Posts: 2,524
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Brisebois
2 quick points to ponder before I go to sleep.

1 - Could Bouillon be on the market? I think he may have been the one showcased for the past few games.

2 - Hmmmm.... 50,000 fans and a helluva lot of TV coverage... who else thinks these outdoor games are gonna happen more often?

Brisebois is offline  
Old
11-22-2003, 10:58 PM
  #10
Emule Richard
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 276
vCash: 500
I was at the game, and it was the experience of a lifetime. I'd just like to share the most priceless moment of it all with you guys before I go to bed. There was a streaker, wearing only a shirt and one sock (on his right foot oddly enough). He must have lasted about a minute out on the snow outside the ice...it was unreal. They had big advertisements outside the rink that were triangular in shape (at the peak, about 5 above the ground), and he slid down those on his front 6 times! Add to that, he made an outstanding juke on a security guard when his capture seemed inevitable. He was running around for about a whole minute in the freezing cold...again, with one bare foot and one socked foot...before somebody was finally able to catch him! I have never seen anything like it, and then when he was caught, the security guard gave him quite the knee to the back...which could not have felt good with all of that snow and ice on the ground below him. That will be something that I will never forget!

Emule Richard is offline  
Old
11-22-2003, 11:39 PM
  #11
Wildcat
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Country: Canada
Posts: 366
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard
I was at the game, and it was the experience of a lifetime. I'd just like to share the most priceless moment of it all with you guys before I go to bed. There was a streaker, wearing only a shirt and one sock (on his right foot oddly enough). He must have lasted about a minute out on the snow outside the ice...it was unreal. They had big advertisements outside the rink that were triangular in shape (at the peak, about 5 above the ground), and he slid down those on his front 6 times! Add to that, he made an outstanding juke on a security guard when his capture seemed inevitable. He was running around for about a whole minute in the freezing cold...again, with one bare foot and one socked foot...before somebody was finally able to catch him! I have never seen anything like it, and then when he was caught, the security guard gave him quite the knee to the back...which could not have felt good with all of that snow and ice on the ground below him. That will be something that I will never forget!


I wonder if he'll use the "it was cold out" excuse...

BTW, great post-game report as always Guy!.

Wildcat is offline  
Old
11-23-2003, 12:05 AM
  #12
All-Star
Registered User
 
All-Star's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Snake Mountain
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,436
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy!
Plus, there was that damn camera on the wire in front of the regular camera and every time it went by, I kept thinking someone was hurt and sliding along the ice.
That's funny... I had the same problem!

All-Star is offline  
Old
11-23-2003, 01:22 AM
  #13
EquabaleAce
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Calgary
Posts: 669
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to EquabaleAce
good game, although i dint like the camera angles

kinda funny that it took pond hockey for zed to showcase his speed

again too many liberties taken on theo someone shoulda whacked a few oilers a couple of times

was it just me or did gretzkys girl look like she was lipsyncing

old ludwig was still out blockin shots it was a great day

EquabaleAce is offline  
Old
11-23-2003, 02:52 AM
  #14
Medicine Twin
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Miramichi,NB
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,621
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by adammacisaac
was it just me or did gretzkys girl look like she was lipsyncing
I was thinking the exact same thing. I'm glad I'm not alone on this. It was funny, you could still hear her voice when she put the mic down by her waist. Yep, she's on her way to being a true pop star.

Medicine Twin is offline  
Old
11-23-2003, 02:58 AM
  #15
ObeySteve
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Delaware County, PA
Posts: 3,552
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to ObeySteve
It's times likes this I wish I was Canadian....

Americans couldn't recieve the game unless they had NHL Center Ice.

ObeySteve is offline  
Old
11-23-2003, 03:25 AM
  #16
Kasparov*
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Country: Russian Federation
Posts: 959
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brisebois
2 quick points to ponder before I go to sleep.

1 - Could Bouillon be on the market? I think he may have been the one showcased for the past few games.

2 - Hmmmm.... 50,000 fans and a helluva lot of TV coverage... who else thinks these outdoor games are gonna happen more often?
The habs know they aren't going to get much(if anything at all) for Bouillon and it would be alot smarter to keep him then to trade him away for a 7th rounder or something right now.

Kasparov* is offline  
Old
11-23-2003, 04:59 AM
  #17
Kerberos*
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,489
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to   Kerberos* Send a message via MSN to   Kerberos*

  Kerberos* is offline  
Old
11-23-2003, 05:18 AM
  #18
Dynasty
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 2,002
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy!
What a day for the NHL!

Ryder: Good come back game for him. He was working much harder and threw the body a few times, and after last game, he really needed that. The assist was great to see, mostly because it found him in front of the opposition net, and as a forward, when you do that good things happen. B+

Zednik: Again, keep in movement if you're a scorer and you'll have lots more chances than if you stand still. He got two goals because he kept working. He was actually pretty good on the boards as well, and even hit a couple tonight. A-

Koivu: One of those games where you work hard, help your teammates create and score but don't figure into the actual scoresheet. I was particularly pleased with his defensive work tonight, and I think Julien relies on him as the second defensive centre now. B+

Guy, another very good report but this time I think I'm going to be a little bit picky...I think if you are giving Koivu a B+ on this night then by by default Ryder should have received at least an A- simply because he had a stronger game than Koivu on this night...In fact, I thought that Koivu struggled all night long and that Zednick and Ryder seemed pretty consistent throughout the game...just my two cents worth that's all!

Dynasty is offline  
Old
11-23-2003, 06:27 AM
  #19
oli500
Registered User
 
oli500's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Kitchener
Posts: 4,610
vCash: 500
Wow this was truly a magical game. I was so ancious for this game to come. I even started work at 5 yesterday just to be back home at 2. Back here in kitchener thats all wa talked about at work. The game.

Boy I just hope other teams like the leafs or detroit steals this Idea because its going to be a marketing stunt. If something like this would happen again next year and had no mining what so ever it would be a shame.

oli500 is offline  
Old
11-23-2003, 06:30 AM
  #20
oli500
Registered User
 
oli500's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Kitchener
Posts: 4,610
vCash: 500
Quote:
Boy I just hope other teams like the leafs or detroit steals this Idea because its going to be a marketing stunt. If something like this would happen again next year and had no mining what so ever it would be a shame.
I meant dosent steal this idea. I forgot to put the word.

Its in moments like this one im proud to be a canadiens fan !

oli500 is offline  
Old
11-23-2003, 06:42 AM
  #21
gohabsgo2010
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: sign Patrick Poulin
Posts: 2,622
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to gohabsgo2010









gohabsgo2010 is offline  
Old
11-23-2003, 06:52 AM
  #22
gohabsgo2010
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: sign Patrick Poulin
Posts: 2,622
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to gohabsgo2010









gohabsgo2010 is offline  
Old
11-23-2003, 06:53 AM
  #23
FisherKing
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: New Brunswick
Posts: 1,284
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nash13

My final thought, I know this was a special game and all and they want it to be close and exciting, but you got to make the call when Smyth runs over Theodore. Theodore isn't one of those roaming goalies nor is he dirty a la Turco, these are the goalies that the rules were meant to protect. Maybe Montreal should protect the goalie, but then the instigator rule comes in.
Great post Guy although frankly, I would have put Sundstrom in the same category as Kilger, but that's just me.

The following is an excerpt from a post I made on another board relative to the above issue raised by Nash.

I have to agree here. While there has been much talk on here (and rightly so) about lack of size and toughness up front, there is definitely a need for more toughness on the blue line. There is absolutely no way Ryan Smythe should have been able to climb up the goaltender's back on that 3rd goal, and be held unaccountable. Such plays must be treated as attempts to injure the goaltender, NO EXCEPTIONS. If you have to take a penalty, or even lose the game, to make that point, you do it. Smythe should have been hurting (not to be confused with "injured" which I don't necessarily advocate) before the game was over. If we would have have allowed a player to do that to our goaltender back when I played, we'd have had our coach walking up OUR BACK with hob-nailed boots on. Simply unacceptable. When your goaltender is run by a player, that player pays, if not immediately, then before the game is out, and a strongly worded message as to why he's "paying" is delivered. There is no other acceptable response, and lack of such a response is equally unacceptable.

As for the "event", I thought it was great, and very nostalgic. I'm one of the old timers who "cut his teeth" in hockey on an outdoor rink. I can recall more than one occasion, when all 5'5" 105 lbs of me was flying down right wing and skating into a bona fide "white out" of blowing snow, only to emerge from it to find a 6'3" 210 lbs + defenceman lining me up. Certainly kept one on his toes. Brought back a lot of fond memories.

As for the Habs play, it was much better than I expected. Still, more toughness on the blue line is absolutely ESSENTIAL. Souray can't do it all. That rumoured "Gauthier" trade with Calgary looks more and more enticing.

Cheers

FisherKing

FisherKing is offline  
Old
11-23-2003, 07:21 AM
  #24
Breenger
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: St. Henri
Country: Canada
Posts: 326
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FisherKing
Great post Guy although frankly, I would have put Sundstrom in the same category as Kilger, but that's just me.

The following is an excerpt from a post I made on another board relative to the above issue raised by Nash.

I have to agree here. While there has been much talk on here (and rightly so) about lack of size and toughness up front, there is definitely a need for more toughness on the blue line. There is absolutely no way Ryan Smythe should have been able to climb up the goaltender's back on that 3rd goal, and be held unaccountable. Such plays must be treated as attempts to injure the goaltender, NO EXCEPTIONS. If you have to take a penalty, or even lose the game, to make that point, you do it. Smythe should have been hurting (not to be confused with "injured" which I don't necessarily advocate) before the game was over. If we would have have allowed a player to do that to our goaltender back when I played, we'd have had our coach walking up OUR BACK with hob-nailed boots on. Simply unacceptable. When your goaltender is run by a player, that player pays, if not immediately, then before the game is out, and a strongly worded message as to why he's "paying" is delivered. There is no other acceptable response, and lack of such a response is equally unacceptable.

As for the "event", I thought it was great, and very nostalgic. I'm one of the old timers who "cut his teeth" in hockey on an outdoor rink. I can recall more than one occasion, when all 5'5" 105 lbs of me was flying down right wing and skating into a bona fide "white out" of blowing snow, only to emerge from it to find a 6'3" 210 lbs + defenceman lining me up. Certainly kept one on his toes. Brought back a lot of fond memories.

As for the Habs play, it was much better than I expected. Still, more toughness on the blue line is absolutely ESSENTIAL. Souray can't do it all. That rumoured "Gauthier" trade with Calgary looks more and more enticing.

Cheers

FisherKing
Quintal is quite tough, and just wait until Komo comes to town. Rivet shows periodic spirts of toughness and Boullion does as much as someone his size can. The only blueline softies on this team are Breezebois, Markov and Hainsey, who doesn't even play that often.

Breenger is offline  
Old
11-23-2003, 07:34 AM
  #25
Nielson81
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 3,220
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to Nielson81
Guys, I was at the game 81 rows up and it was awesome, I ended up being their for 9 hours, I have some cools pics with fellow Habs fans that I will post here when they are developed!!

Gretzky's daughter was really signing, just all the audio was off, for a couple of the events on the night!!

I'll get my pics up late in the week!!

Absoultely awesome seeing Gretzky in the Oilers uni, first time i ever saw him.

Unbiased Canadian
Finally Warm!!

Nielson81 is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:43 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.