HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Our PP...

Closed Thread

Old
11-20-2003, 06:54 PM
cram

vCash: 500
Our PP...

Was I hallucinating, or did our power play look really dangerous tonight?/?? For a while before the Hemsky PP, I thought it was just a flash, but against Chicago, it did not look ugly as in previous games, do I dare say it...is the power play FINALLY turning the corner??? Bergeron, one timing passes left right and centre, Hemsky, shooting?? WTF is going on; could the good movement be Oates' influence in practise already?? I think this team is starting to feel like they can beat anybody (and I think the goaltender has a lot to do with that) or at least that tentativeness I have seen from previous Oiler teams has been non-existent, confidence is starting to show....can we begin to dream, or is this team riding a huge high with everything that has happened in E-town over the last week? Please, your thoughts and comments...

Old
11-20-2003, 07:03 PM
hmminvisiblecola1279
I just hope we can

no doubt what a week for the oilers. i might be blasted for this but the team seems to be more confident playing in front of conklin right now. then again like many of you have mentioned before with the oil getting new players each year it takes awhile for them to gel.

Old
11-20-2003, 07:05 PM
Cerebral

Quote:
Originally Posted by cram
Was I hallucinating, or did our power play look really dangerous tonight?/?? For a while before the Hemsky PP, I thought it was just a flash, but against Chicago, it did not look ugly as in previous games, do I dare say it...is the power play FINALLY turning the corner??? Bergeron, one timing passes left right and centre, Hemsky, shooting?? WTF is going on; could the good movement be Oates' influence in practise already?? I think this team is starting to feel like they can beat anybody (and I think the goaltender has a lot to do with that) or at least that tentativeness I have seen from previous Oiler teams has been non-existent, confidence is starting to show....can we begin to dream, or is this team riding a huge high with everything that has happened in E-town over the last week? Please, your thoughts and comments...
I agree.. one guy that I felt looked strong out on the PP as well was Izzy! Nice to see MacT giving him some time on special teams.. I think one of the big differences is York on the point. I didn't see Cross back there much today and there was a big difference in terms of confidence from our d-men on the PP.. they showed patience and waited for the guy to get open instead of just throwing it into the corner or forcing the shot. Just wait till Oates gets here.. IMO we can have two really strong powerplay lines with Oates playing the halfboards on one and Hemsky on the other.. lines of Oates/Smyth/Dvorak and Hemsky/Izzy/Reasoner (when he gets back) could be really effective with York on the point.

Old
11-20-2003, 07:18 PM
creative giant*

Yeah the PP looked good.

But how about those faceoffs tonight? 58% overall and 66% in the definsive zone.

And Smyth won 19 out of 29 tonight. Not too shabby.

Old
11-20-2003, 07:23 PM
Fayne Gretzky

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMenace
Yeah the PP looked good.

But how about those faceoffs tonight? 58% overall and 66% in the definsive zone.

And Smyth won 19 out of 29 tonight. Not too shabby.
Makes you think about his apparent return to the wing with the arrival of Oates.

Old
11-22-2003, 07:41 PM
barto

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilers112
Makes you think about his apparent return to the wing with the arrival of Oates.
By the way, DAMN YOU ALL for giving me 2.5 pages (PAGES!!) of threads to read after only TWO DAYS of not being able to check (out of town this weekend, in CALGARY :mad: ).

Anyway, I'm starting oldest to youngest in terms of thread replies here.

Smyth getting better at faceoffs is something we all knew would take some time, but keep in mind his competition. He wasn't going up against guys like Thornton & the like that ate the Oilers' lunch earlier.

However, even if it wasn't a 'blip' but a sign of things to come, it mostly gives MacT (and Lowe) some options to think about. Smyth could still take some draws here and there if Oates gets waved out of the faceoff, or would make it less likely to put Oates out there 4-on-4.

And since we all know Oates is a short-term solution (the rest of this year at best), then it might give some pause to being more desperate to acquire another center for next year.

And it sure beats the alternative of Ryan staying at that 30% mark!!!

Bart

Closed Thread