HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Eric Brewer (clicker beware)

Closed Thread

Old
11-22-2003, 07:00 PM
gretzky2kurri

vCash: 500
Eric Brewer (clicker beware)

Sorry guys, but I feel like breaking things again tonight.

When is this BIG STIFFS contract due?

The reason I ask is because he likely won't be traded because Oiler management (and fans) are SO convinced about this "upside" that is gonna show up any day now. When it does arrive (if it ever does) we won't be able to keep him anyway.

The reason I'm asking when his contract is up, is I'm hoping he holds out for (even more) money and Lowe is forced to deal him. It's my only hope.

Other than the fact he's big and "makes skating look effortless", whats all the big hype about?

There was something to cheer about 3 seasons ago when he laid at least 1 solid body-check per game.

But Eric is above all that now.

I TRULY question this guys intensity. And why wouldn't I? I mean really.....

Old
11-22-2003, 07:06 PM
metallicat

I don't question his integrity, his heart, just his ability. I just think that he isn't all the he was cracked up to be.

Old
11-22-2003, 07:08 PM
gretzky2kurri

Quote:
Originally Posted by metallicat
I don't question his integrity, his heart, just his ability. I just think that he isn't all the he was cracked up to be.
Million dollar talent with the 10 cent brain?

Old
11-22-2003, 07:14 PM
Digger12
Gold Fever

Quote:
Originally Posted by gretzky2kurri
I TRULY question this guys intensity. And why wouldn't I? I mean really.....
I think that's a fair question.

I fully understand that big young dmen can take a few years to reach their potential, but IMO Brewer was a better player 2 years ago. He's really missing that physical edge to his game that he used to have.

I can live with the mistakes, but it really bothers me to see a guy who gives me the impression that he's too damn comfortable with where he is in the general pecking order of things.

Considering he's our highest paid dman, we're not getting nearly enough bang for the buck.

Old
11-22-2003, 08:00 PM
The Rage

It's like lowe says about hemskey all the time, a player's development is rarely a straight line, there are always ups and downs. I don't think Brewer will never be Chris Pronger (who alot of people once compared him to), but he will become a solid, tough defensemen. I think he could be a better skating adam foote. He's had a bad year, but c'mon, lots of players, sometimes great players, have the occaisonal bad years. Didn't someone in the media say he broke up with his first long term girlfriend at the begining of the year? That could be the reason he has lacked intensity, although I'll admit, it's a poor excuse.

Old
11-22-2003, 08:13 PM
gretzky2kurri

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolguy3650
It's like lowe says about hemskey all the time, a player's development is rarely a straight line, there are always ups and downs. I don't think Brewer will never be Chris Pronger (who alot of people once compared him to), but he will become a solid, tough defensemen. I think he could be a better skating adam foote. He's had a bad year, but c'mon, lots of players, sometimes great players, have the occaisonal bad years. Didn't someone in the media say he broke up with his first long term girlfriend at the begining of the year? That could be the reason he has lacked intensity, although I'll admit, it's a poor excuse.
Uh ya, but Hemsky has played 1 full season.

Brewer is going into his 7th.

I mean seriously folks.......how long before the majority stops cutting this "turbo-underacheiver" the miles of slack.

How bad does he have to actually suck?

I think Eric should consider himself very lucky that the majority of fans aren't down his throat by now.

Old
11-22-2003, 08:16 PM
LoudmouthHemskyfan#1

VERY telling Eric Brewer moment IMO:

Last season, he scores the goal to beat Detroit in overtime, he teammates are excited and pumped after an absolutely huge effort, and Eric Brewer does...........nothing.

Didn't fist-pump.

Didn't jump up.

Didn't even raise his arms.

Didn't even smile.

Seriously, lack of intensity or what? I really wonder sometimes about this guy and how much he cares. He was pretty mad after making that bonehead play and getting burnt on the ultimate GWG today, but who knows.....

Old
11-22-2003, 08:21 PM
The Rage

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoudmouthHemskyfan#1

Last season, he scores the goal to beat Detroit in overtime, he teammates are excited and pumped after an absolutely huge effort, and Eric Brewer does...........nothing.

Didn't fist-pump.

Didn't jump up.

Didn't even smile.
I don't think a lack of reaction means a lack of intensity. Alot of people just don't show their emotions. Ricky Ray, for example, always looks emotionless, but I don't think there's any doubt that he's an intense competitor.

Old
11-22-2003, 08:25 PM
thome_26
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via ICQ to thome_26
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoudmouthHemskyfan#1

Didn't fist-pump.

Didn't jump up.

Didn't even smile.

Seriously, lack of intensity or what? I really wonder sometimes about this guy and how much he cares. He was pretty mad after making that bonehead play and getting burnt on the ultimate GWG today, but who knows.....
Anybody who thinks he doesn't care or that he isn't intense is wrong. He just doesn't show when he is happy. He sures hell shows when he's mad - as he doesn't hesitate to drop an F-bomb that can be heard through-out skyre- REXALL PLACE. He is simply VERY shy. And yes, it was me who mentioned the girlfriend thing with him, but it wasn't that he broke up with her, but he's actually just got his first serious biatch.

Old
11-22-2003, 08:28 PM
gretzky2kurri

Quote:
I don't think a lack of reaction means a lack of intensity. Alot of people just don't show their emotions. Ricky Ray, for example, always looks emotionless, but I don't think there's any doubt that he's an intense competitor.
I don't think "lack of reaction" after a goal means much either coolguy.

But as we've often seen, his "lack of reaction" in his own end when he has a forward pressuring him...........is well......simply appaling.

Remember this year when Forsberg stripped him of the puck for the eventual goal? How many times have we seen plays similar to that with Eric? TONS!

You could make a 5 minute video reel of Brewers "lack of reaction".

:mad:

Old
11-22-2003, 09:18 PM
barto

I think we can pretty much all agree that Brewer's play has been generally disappointing so far this season (and much of last). But the harder question is "What do the Oilers do about it?"

Does Lowe cut his losses and trade him away, selling the old "change of scenery" thing on the other GM? Or do they really believe that he can turn his game around and at least get back to the style & level of play from 2 years ago? I miss the big hits, I miss the confident plays and rushes - the rest (occasional bad plays) I could live with, but we don't see enough of the other to suggest he's our #1 guy. Or even our #3 guy, really, although there seems to be a fairly big drop-off after Staios anyway, in my mind. Smith's been good (better than the last 2 years, but not as good as before his Captain years), Cross is OK but unspectacular (which is fine), and then we're in to Bergie & Fergie.

Also strange is the amount of time Semenov has spent in the press box this year, after looking like a lock for one of our top-4 guys by the end of last year...

Bart

Old
11-22-2003, 09:19 PM
Digger12
Gold Fever

Quote:
Yeah, but this has been going on since the beginning of LAST season. Like I said, I can live with the mistakes...but where did the physical presence go?

As for the g/f thing, that's the first I heard of it. Could be true, I don't know.

I should add...he hasn't been crap every game, overall I'd give him a 'C+'. I was just hoping for some progression from last year, thus far it looks like the same old guy.

Last year it was easier to stomach at 1.5M/yr...at 2.5M, a bit more is expected.

Old
11-22-2003, 09:26 PM
LoudmouthHemskyfan#1

Quote:
Ricky Ray at least runs and congratulates his teammates and gets into it when he does something.

And for the people who'd say not reacting doesn't mean he's not intense...of course it has something to do with it! If you care, you react, it just naturally happens. it has happened other times too. The guy just does not look, both in his attitude and reactions as well as his play and focus, to be giving it 110 out there. I really don't know why, but he's either lacking intensity, or he's lost his confidence and as a result, his focus.

Old
11-22-2003, 09:31 PM
bfan

When Eric Brewer raised his arm in celebration tonight (after his goal) my friend looks at me with his mouth hanging open. Lots of people notice his lack of emtion, but tonight he had it. It was nice to see.

Old
11-22-2003, 09:40 PM
gretzky2kurri

Quote:
Originally Posted by barto
But the harder question is "What do the Oilers do about it?"
This is the thing. I still think most of the league still thinks this big stiff is the real deal. He's an olympic gold medallist and appeared in the all-star game. Don't ask me how......but he did. This helps Lowe.

I don't think he would be that hard to deal. If we keep waiting though, soon enough the league will know he's a fraud. (Same with BG)

Overrated players (Brewer, Laraque) are great things for a club like the Oilers to move.

Imagine what we could get back in a Comrie/Brewer trade? Or a Comrie/Laraque trade. Or to be even whackier.......a Comrie/Laraque/Brewer deal? (dream)

Old
11-22-2003, 09:54 PM
barto

Quote:
This is the thing. I still think most of the league still thinks this big stiff is the real deal. He's an olympic gold medallist and appeared in the all-star game. Don't ask me how......but he did. This helps Lowe.

I don't think he would be that hard to deal. If we keep waiting though, soon enough the league will know he's a fraud. (Same with BG)

Overrated players (Brewer, Laraque) are great things for a club like the Oilers to move.

Imagine what we could get back in a Comrie/Brewer trade? Or a Comrie/Laraque trade. Or to be even whackier.......a Comrie/Laraque/Brewer deal? (dream)
Except that we don't know if Lowe "over-rates" Brewer and/or Laraque. Something tells me he doesn't or he would have traded one or both of them by now, but I guess if he gets a good enough deal...?!

Bart

Old
11-23-2003, 07:36 AM
Mr Sakich

for the last 2-3 weeks, he has quietly been our best dman. He gets all the tough minutes vs the other teams' top players. There is a simple rule in the nhl, you never, ever trade young stud dmen.

Old
11-23-2003, 12:53 PM
tylerr

Send a message via MSN to tylerr
I agree man, bench him, and bring up ROCKY!

Old
11-23-2003, 01:00 PM
The Rage

Remember when lowe refused to trade brewer or comrie for Lecavalier? I'm sure he regrets that now.

Old
11-23-2003, 04:13 PM
EVH

Quote:
Remember when lowe refused to trade brewer or comrie for Lecavalier? I'm sure he regrets that now.
The deal was one top two line forward, one top dman, and one top prospect.

Comrie, Brewer, Rita for Lecavlier. Considering what all three were shaping up to be at the time, I don't blame Lowe for not making that move.

Old
11-23-2003, 05:27 PM
The Rage

Quote:
Originally Posted by EVH
The deal was one top two line forward, one top dman, and one top prospect.

Comrie, Brewer, Rita for Lecavlier. Considering what all three were shaping up to be at the time, I don't blame Lowe for not making that move.
I'm not blaming lowe, I'm just saying that right now, Lowe probably wishes he made that trade.

Old
11-23-2003, 07:17 PM
mamettt

G2K I generally agree with the thrust of your arguement. It is undeniable that Brewer was a better player two years ago than today; is not anywhere near our #1 d-man; lacks intensity on some days; and misses ninimmaa greatly. I am always in favor of considering trades for any and everyone, and brewer is no exception. The league does feel he has tremendous upside, and if we could get a legitimate blue chip d-man or great young forward for him, I'm all for it. However, on the other hand, I'm not sold on one thing. I don't believe that he'll never reach his potential....I know it's old, but look at guys like chris phillips or wade redden...d-men take time. I know brewer is overdue, god how I know.

However that doesn't change the fact that he has the talent and he could put it all together. The real problem, IMO, is that Lowe banked on the fact that he would be ready by now, and he isn't. Lowe stupidly gave him that huge contract for no reason, and he has thrust on him the responsibility of #1 d-man. If Brewer was still in the #3 role at 1.7 million, nobody is giving him much grief. But 2.5 million in a #1 role, and he gets a ton of critcism. Brewer should have developed more by now, but Lowe and co. have accelerated his decline by heeping responsibilty on him that he never, at any point, showed he was ready or wiling to accept. I blame the player and management, and I try to trade mike comrie for defensive help on the back end that will ease the slack on Brewer. I consider trading brewer, only for a good return though, and I stay patient.

Old
11-23-2003, 08:23 PM
gretzky2kurri

Good post mamettt.

Does anyone know when his contract is up?

Old
11-24-2003, 09:58 AM
Ryno
BEHOLD!!

Quote:
Good post mamettt.

Does anyone know when his contract is up?
He's an RFA at the end of the season, I'm quite sure.

Old
11-24-2003, 12:50 PM
Master Lok

Geez guys, if its not Pisani to complain about, then its Salo. Since Salo's been out, now its Brewer. whine whine whine whine... d-men take time! He's a stud defenseman and he's in our top 4 list right now and staying there. More than the big contract, I think Lowe has effected his play by taking Brewer out of Niiniimaa's shadow forcing Brewer to take a bigger role... one which will take TIME for him to grow into.

Grrr! you guys piss me off sometimes whining about one Oiler to another. We just came home with a successful road trip and its two days since the Heritage Classic and off we go with another player-griping session. Brewer is now 24 years old. Name me another top two defenseman who is 24 years old: they're some but not that many.

Look at all the top defensemen in the league, and how many of them rarely stay where they were drafted. Its because of impatient fans and impatient GM's!!! Pronger was drafted by Hartford and got traded to St.L. Jovonovski was drafted by Florida and is now in Vancouver. Morris is in Colorado (money issues).

Niiniimaa was traded late last year. I fully expect that this year will be a "growing pain" year for Brewer as he adjusts to the ice time and the additional responsibilities.

Closed Thread