HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New Jersey Devils
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

How much longer will the Sens go before panic sets in?

Closed Thread

Old
11-22-2003, 08:51 PM
Unthinkable

vCash:
How much longer will the Sens go before panic sets in?

Ottawa isn't looking anything at all like the Stanley Cup finalist team most respected hockey pundits projected them to be this season. They lost to the Penguins tonight with Caron in nets which didn't really surprise me considering how they've been playing as of late, but wow how the once mighty have fallen. This team has really struggled to get it going worse then the Ducks did after their poor start. How much longer can they go before the threatened deals start happening to inject new blood into the lineup? I mean they are still fielding a great team even with the injuries right now. It can't all be attributed to losing Arvedsson to the Canucks and suffering a few untimely injuries can it? Havlat doesn't look anything like himself after the holdout. This organization is way too talented to slide off the maps like they're doing yet they continue to lose game after game. Anyone think this will continue much longer? Could Ottawa be the next San Jose Sharks contender to pretender overnight? I still can't believe what happened to the Sharks. Seems like a bad dream when most folks figured they were on the road to riches not long ago.

Old
11-22-2003, 08:55 PM
I Hate Tie DOMI

vCash: 500
Lalime is costing me points in The Hockey News pool I'm in. (which I am currently ranked 23rd. Yay for me!). This teaches me to never go against Marty. I knew I should have taken Marty over Patrick, but I seriously thought Ottawa would smoke everbody this year. Boy was I wrong, and now I need to use one of my trades to get Marty who I should have taken from the start.

Old
11-22-2003, 10:26 PM
NJ_Devil_Boy

vCash: 560
Quote:
Originally Posted by I Hate Tie DOMI
This teaches me to never go against Marty.

Old
11-22-2003, 11:02 PM
blink

I have to believe that Ottawa is going to be patient about this. The fact remains that they are too good to stay in this slump for the forseeable future (i.e. the rest of the season). If anyone knows anything about the fact that being good during the regular season and being good during the playoffs are two completely different things, its Ottawa. I don't believe they'll push the panic button and things will work out for them.

Each year they've been making gradual steps towards the Stanley Cup finals and this year was supposed to be the year (at least the "experts" thought so) they made it to the Cup.

I don't believe this slump they are in will last too long. Muckler himself said in an interview I saw the other day that he's going to be patient as his team isn't playing up to "potential". Some minor tweaking may be needed but that can be easily solved at the deadline if need be. The Sens have way too many veterans and way too much playoff experience to fold up like a cheap cardboard box (aka San Jose).

Bottom line is that the veterans have to start leading, setting the example for the younger guys and they have to start playing much better defence....and these things will happen...eventually. Come playoff time however...no doubt about it...I want Jersey to stomp on them....

P.S. I'm still in shock over the Sharks too.....I was actually thinking about that earlier today.....what in the world happened to them....and a better question is....how did it happen so fast???

Old
11-22-2003, 11:44 PM
NJ_Devil_Boy

vCash: 560
Every team goes through a slump, and right now the Sens are experiencing one. It's only a matter of time before the "Fire Martin" headlines hit the papers, but no team wins the Stanley Cup in November. They maybe sucking right now, but remember, they're still tied for 8th spot (playing badly).

Note: They are struggling, but if you don't count Boston, they really aren't our of it in their division. Before tonights victory vs. Vancourver, the Leafs have been horrible on they road trip.

Old
11-23-2003, 06:16 PM
Niedermayer21

Losing to the Rangers today can't help things much. I don't get it, but if they bring in Keenan to try to fix things, I hope it backfires on them.

Old
11-23-2003, 06:27 PM
Unthinkable

vCash:
They looked really bad against NY today. The only memorable Sens play I noticed was when Schaefer bailed out Lalime on a near Rangers goal with a nifty stick move that Niedermayer does from time to time. The puck had enough momentum to cross the goal line and Schaefer totally saved one for his team. Holik and Nedved had good games all in all and Poti was clearing the crease with a renewed passion after criticisms from his boss about not playing physical enough. Lalime is just not looking like himself and his defense resembled nothing like what we witnessed last season. No huge bone rattling hits from Volchenkov and no real sense of urgency from the Sens forwards once their PP's end. One shot of the team on the bench was priceless in capturing their frustrations. Roger Nielson empowered them to win it all while they had the chance and the opportunities were ripe for the picking imploring them not to take things for granted in the playoffs since its never easy to get all the way back to where you last were. Seems like they are just really at a loss to put good back to back efforts together for now.

Old
11-23-2003, 06:29 PM
NJD Jester

Send a message via Yahoo to NJD Jester
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unthinkable
Could Ottawa be the next San Jose Sharks contender to pretender overnight?
They have more talent than that Sharks team. You're still talking about guys like Redden and Chara on the blue line and Alfredsson and Hossa up front.

If anything, the Sens might be the team that pulls the trigger on a goalie first. Khabibulin, Kolzig, Nabakov, maybe even CuJo. It could light a fire under them as much as a coaching change would.

<JESTER>

Old
11-23-2003, 06:39 PM
tmg

I think this year's Sens might be comparable to the 2001-2002 Stars. One year of disastrous underachieveing from a talented squad, but fully able to rebound due to the depth of talent.

The Stars went from 106-pt division champs one year to playoff missers the next, back to 111-pt division champs the following year. This may be the year for a similar lull from the Sens.

But short of a Lalime injury, I cannot see this team acquiring anything more than a solid backup goalie.

Old
11-23-2003, 06:42 PM
Unthinkable

vCash:
Two losses to Pittsburgh and the Rangers lends a little more credence to the CBS Sportsline notion that the Atlantic Division is still the one to beat for now.

Old
11-23-2003, 06:51 PM
Blackjack

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmg
I think this year's Sens might be comparable to the 2001-2002 Stars. One year of disastrous underachieveing from a talented squad, but fully able to rebound due to the depth of talent.
I agree, the Sharks got old. The Sens are still young, and I see them either pulling it together this year or completely rebounding next year.

Old
11-23-2003, 06:52 PM
Ronnie Bass
elite pissy upside

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJD Jester
They have more talent than that Sharks team. You're still talking about guys like Redden and Chara on the blue line and Alfredsson and Hossa up front.

If anything, the Sens might be the team that pulls the trigger on a goalie first. Khabibulin, Kolzig, Nabakov, maybe even CuJo. It could light a fire under them as much as a coaching change would.

<JESTER>
I think they would probably try to get a offensive defenseman before giving up on Lalime. Maybe somebody like Gonchar (they would have to give up alot). Their defensemen are solid but they really don't have a Neidermayer or Rafalski type player, even so Redden puts up good numbers I bet he could use help.

Old
11-23-2003, 07:09 PM
PEli*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unthinkable
Could Ottawa be the next San Jose Sharks contender to pretender overnight?
No way. The Sharks drafted horribly throughout the 90s and the Sens have stockpiled an incredible amount of young talent. Their strongest players are ones they've drafted and developed themselves. The Sharks strongest players have been traded for or signed. This is the key difference between the two.

Like you said, they're too good to be mediocre for long. Its only a matter of time before they pull things together and start demolishing teams on a nightly basis. There's no reason to expect that this team will not shape up eventually.

This could be a part of their first short offseason ever. Teams like the Devils are used to long seasons but these Senators are relatively young and have never experienced such a short offseason. While this is no excuse to be playing this badly, it could account for some of their troubles.

Old
11-24-2003, 05:23 AM
NJD Jester

Send a message via Yahoo to NJD Jester
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lou is God
I think they would probably try to get a offensive defenseman before giving up on Lalime. Maybe somebody like Gonchar (they would have to give up alot). Their defensemen are solid but they really don't have a Neidermayer or Rafalski type player, even so Redden puts up good numbers I bet he could use help.
First off, they wouldn't have to give up that much for Gonchar, unless they're bidding against teams willing to bet the farm on the guy. The Caps are in major salary dump mode as the team continues to struggle, both at the gate and on the ice.

And Lalime is an issue, at least in my eyes. The Senators are going to have to address it or they might as well just hire Bobby Clarke as their GM...

<JESTER>

Old
11-24-2003, 06:00 AM
Ronnie Bass
elite pissy upside

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJD Jester
First off, they wouldn't have to give up that much for Gonchar, unless they're bidding against teams willing to bet the farm on the guy. The Caps are in major salary dump mode as the team continues to struggle, both at the gate and on the ice.

And Lalime is an issue, at least in my eyes. The Senators are going to have to address it or they might as well just hire Bobby Clarke as their GM...

<JESTER>
I think if the Caps ever trade Gonchar they will want alot in return, if it's prospects or proven players that would remain to be seen, but I doubt they would give him up cheaply.

Also I never said Lalmine was or was not the issue, what I said and still hold claim to is that they won't give up on him as fast as you might think. They will alter their lineup before they give up on him, you can count on that. He's still the same goalie that was a Friesen goal away from taking his team to the finals and probably the Stanley Cup. He's not exactly a playoff flop...........yet.

Closed Thread