HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Why the NHL is sinking in the US?

Closed Thread

Old
11-22-2003, 08:56 PM
SopelFan*

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to SopelFan*
Why the NHL is sinking in the US?

Today was a prime example. No effort to show the Heritage Classic. 5 Channels chose College Football over a first ever outdoor hockey game and Gretzky's return to the ice. How do they expect to make new fans with this sort of publicity?

Old
11-22-2003, 09:06 PM
Epsilon
#TeamHolland

Quote:
Originally Posted by SopelFan
Today was a prime example. No effort to show the Heritage Classic. 5 Channels chose College Football over a first ever outdoor hockey game and Gretzky's return to the ice. How do they expect to make new fans with this sort of publicity?
That's because college football is arguably the #2 sport in the USA behind NFL football and draws a huge fanbase. I mean, the NHL had its largest live audience in history today, and there were still 40000 people less than the number that packed Michigan Stadium in the afternoon. Frankly, I would have watched Wolverines vs. Buckeyes over the hockey game had they been on at the same time, no question.

Old
11-22-2003, 09:18 PM
SopelFan*

Maybe they shouldn't keep handing teams to the US if they aren't going to support them then?

Old
11-22-2003, 09:20 PM
Riddarn
1980-2011

Because except for a few enclaves of hockey resistance, the US is nearly free of genuine Hockey Culture. But then again, the only country who can boast a real hockey tradition is Canada. How they endure through painfully boring sports like baseball and basketball and call hockey and soccer boring is beyond me. At least american football is OK, but nowhere near as fun to watch as rugby (go england!).

Old
11-22-2003, 09:22 PM
MontrealSF
Lars Eller.

The NFL is by far the most boring league to watch... WHOOPI Eagles won 10-8 over Rams... let's eat some chips and drink some bud... horrible.

Old
11-22-2003, 09:23 PM
SopelFan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riddarn
Because except for a few enclaves of hockey resistance, the US is nearly free of genuine Hockey Culture. But then again, the only country who can boast a real hockey tradition is Canada. How they endure through painfully boring sports like baseball and basketball and call hockey and soccer boring is beyond me. At least american football is OK, but nowhere near as fun to watch as rugby (go england!).
Hence why the NHL loses huge amounts of money a year. They are putting 24 teams in a country who puts every sport ahead of hockey.

Old
11-22-2003, 09:34 PM
degroat*

Quote:
Do you understand the concept of 'contracts'? ESPN cannot just tell the people they've signed contracts to screw off.

Old
11-22-2003, 09:36 PM
Riddarn
1980-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickyF
The NFL is by far the most boring league to watch... WHOOPI Eagles won 10-8 over Rams... let's eat some chips and drink some bud... horrible.
Isn't baseball and basketball also about eating chips or am I missing something? Maybe hockey isn't as commercially attractive to sponsors and TV companys since it is alot more action and less time for chips eating and commercial ads?

Old
11-22-2003, 09:41 PM
monster_bertuzzi

Americans and their college sports

Old
11-22-2003, 09:42 PM
SopelFan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by degroat
Do you understand the concept of 'contracts'? ESPN cannot just tell the people they've signed contracts to screw off.
This game wasn't planned this week.

Old
11-22-2003, 09:52 PM
MontrealSF
Lars Eller.

I don't follow basketball so I won't give my opinion. About baseball, the only thing I find disgusting is that right now, 5th starter or bad relievers are making 5 - 7,5 M while 7,5M in hockey is for All Star... Baseball is overpaying so much.. 2,2 for an old guy like Hentgen.. come on... (just an exemple)

Old
11-22-2003, 10:03 PM
kruezer

I wouldn't call basketball boring, then again I'm a massive fan of pretty much every sport short of Figure Skating and Synchro Swimming. Basketball rocks, the one-on-one battles are just amazing. NFL football is also great because they are some amazing athletes, and the overall ability of any team to win any day actually increases its greatness for me anyway. Baseball is great in summer when I feel lazy and you can just sit back and watch and its not super-intense all the time (helps me wind down after hockey season, lol). Hockey is definetaly my favourite sport, but everything has its advantages....so don't put them down or I'll rage, , lol.

Old
11-22-2003, 10:03 PM
Epsilon
#TeamHolland

Quote:
And those TV contracts are multi-year deals that were signed way before this game was cooked up. Besides, ESPN's responsibility is to make money, which means 1. honouring their TV contracts, and 2. putting on the programming that will get the highest ratings and hence bring in the most advertising money.

Old
11-22-2003, 10:07 PM
Vatican Roulette
Mona Lisa Lily

Quote:
Maybe they shouldn't keep handing teams to the US if they aren't going to support them then?

thats right, cause canada is doing a great job of supporting their franchises...

Old
11-22-2003, 10:12 PM
SopelFan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavel datsyuk
thats right, cause canada is doing a great job of supporting their franchises...
Indeed they are. This isn't supposed to be personal, but it's true.

Old
11-22-2003, 10:18 PM
Jeffrey

Send a message via MSN to Jeffrey
IMO Best sport to watch :
1- Hockey
2- Football
3- Basketball
4- Soccer
5- Tennis
6- Baseball
7- Golf

IMO best sports to play:
1- Hockey (the best game ever)
2- Football
3- Soccer
4- Basketball
5- Tennis
6- Baseball
7- Golf

still sad to see desinterest by the USA on this sport

Old
11-23-2003, 03:04 AM
ObeySteve
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via AIM to ObeySteve
You should care about how hockey does in the US. The NHL is suffering financially in Canada and suffering in number of fans in the US. That double whammy is what is going to cause a lockout in the next year or two.

Old
11-23-2003, 04:40 AM
Rabid Ranger
2 is better than one

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonMacIsaac
But College football is the ultimate sport, you get to see a top ranked team win by 50 points!!!!!!! WHATS BETTER THEN THAT

BTW, I was forced to watch the heritage game, we didn't get the football game in Canada

If you can't tell that was a joke, I could care less about hockey in USA, they would put hockey on the air if the demand was high enough, it isn't so TOUGH.

I don't see any Americans complaining in this thread, only Canadians. I find that's usually the case with threads like these, or really any thread that's a U.S./Canada comparison. Are you really that insecure? You're sitting here downgrading a sport (college football) that I believe is older than the NHL and has just as rabid of a following in this country as hockey does in Canada. BTW, I think Americans have supported the concept of an outdoor game, to the tune of 70,000+ at an outdoor game that was played between Michigan and Michigan State. That's right, two COLLEGE hockey teams. Get over yourself.

Old
11-23-2003, 04:45 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5792
Quote:
Doesn't mean they can get out of the contract.

Then again, ESPN wouldn't want to show Montreal and Edmonton over College Football. Americans don't want to see Edmonton and Montreal (well I do but I'm not your typical American Hockey fan). Perhaps a better effort would have been made if the game was played 3 weeks later, or the game featured Detroit and Colorado or Rangers and Bruins.

Old
11-23-2003, 05:00 AM
MojoJojo

Maybe if Canadians werent so nationalistic about Hockey there would be more fans in the US. So many Canadians have the attitude that Hockey belongs to them, and all the Americans, Russians, Czechs, etc out there who play the game are somehow unworthy or are stealing it.

Let me also point out that Americans do not like to compete on an iternational stage. American players dominate football and basketball, and until recently baseball. Soccer, which is the most international sport and one we can barely compete in, has the lowest rating of any major sport, and would fall off the ratings map completely if it weren't for immigrants from Latin America.

Old
11-23-2003, 05:50 AM
PredsFan77*

Send a message via ICQ to PredsFan77* Send a message via AIM to PredsFan77*
Quote:
Originally Posted by MojoJojo
Soccer, which is the most international sport and one we can barely compete in, has the lowest rating of any major sport, and would fall off the ratings map completely if it weren't for immigrants from Latin America.
That and it is a complete bore to watch.....

Old
11-23-2003, 06:05 AM
Lanny MacDonald*

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObeySteve
You should care about how hockey does in the US. The NHL is suffering financially in Canada and suffering in number of fans in the US. That double whammy is what is going to cause a lockout in the next year or two.
The only serious problem with the game in Canada is the requirement to pay for contracts in US dollars while revenues are generated in Canadian dollars. Fan support is very healthy in all Canadian markets and only the currency disparity causes any problems. Fix this "minor" problem and you fix the whole problem from the Canadian perspective. That doesn't change the problems that the US teams are suffering from (no support). The people keep coming out in Canada, unfortunately they don't with any consistency in the US.

Old
11-23-2003, 07:43 AM
topshelf331

Send a message via ICQ to topshelf331 Send a message via Yahoo to topshelf331
Quote:
I dont remember a team in the heritage classic being from the US. I wouldve watched the game , but i was off supporting the st. louis blues with my season tickets.

Old
11-23-2003, 07:58 AM
Hawkalyzer

do i have to explain why chicago has the 2nd lowest attendance and a fan base so small that no small market team could survive with?

i dunno about the rest of the country, but chicago has simply been choked out of the hockey market by Bill Wirt$$$$$$$$$$$$ regime.

i guess the biggest reason chicago has no support for the hawks is because Wirtz doesnt care about fans, and unless its the Bears or the god awful Cubs(who are blessed with Wrigley Field), and to a degree the Bulls, the fans just simply tune out the team, which means they tune out the sport.

Old
11-23-2003, 08:06 AM
Teemu

well, a major problem with the fall of hockey in the USA is that there is no teams in main cities to root for. Neitehr NY team is close to contending, Chicago has blown for 15 years, and Los Angeles has been nothing to call home about the past few years either. The big markets are New Jersey (which is close to NY and would logically draw fans, but their boring trap style of play scares away potential fans), Colorado (Loyal fans, but Denver is reletively small and in the middle of nowhere), and Detroit (Smack-dab in a ghetto). Hockey has no chance unless big name cities can get good teams (and the death of Wirtz couldnt hurt either)

Closed Thread