HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Is kovalev showing up more often?

Old
10-23-2006, 04:49 PM
Boulette Cannon

vCash: 500
Is kovalev showing up more often?

The last 2 games have been good for Kovy. He's been stepping up 2 games in a row . Do you think Carbo & him had a talk?

Boulette Cannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2006, 04:57 PM
Habs4Lyfe
Drive for 25

I dont think Kovy needs Carbo to have a talk with him...he has been in this league long enough to realize when he needs to make some changes and when he needs to step up his game.

Habs4Lyfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2006, 04:58 PM
coolguy21415
HFBoards Sponsor

I may be in the minority, but I've never really seen Kovalev's supposed "not showing up" tendency. He might score in spurts, but I never see him take a game off, or something ridiculous like that.

As for his play this season, it's been fantastic, and he's starting to reap the rewards of playing well.

coolguy21415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2006, 05:05 PM
Judge Sauer*

I think he had a talk with himself in the mirror:
"I'm good enough, I'm smart enough and gosh darn it, people like me"

Judge Sauer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2006, 05:19 PM
sXe
Yuuuuuup!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedScull View Post
I may be in the minority, but I've never really seen Kovalev's supposed "not showing up" tendency. He might score in spurts, but I never see him take a game off, or something ridiculous like that.

As for his play this season, it's been fantastic, and he's starting to reap the rewards of playing well.
Exactly, Kovalev is what he is. He's a veteran who can put up slightly under ppg and has gamebreaking abilities. Make no mistake every offensive player in the league has probably been accused of not showing up.
I'd rather have Kovalev not show up at 4.5M than Lecavalier, Iginla or Chara not show up at 7M.

sXe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2006, 05:21 PM
snowrunner*

tough to compare Iginla to Kovelev.....it's like comparing Patrick Roy to Andre Raisicot.........Kovelev is no Iginla thats for sure...

snowrunner* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2006, 05:23 PM
ryanghg

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowrunner View Post
tough to compare Iginla to Kovelev.....it's like comparing Patrick Roy to Andre Raisicot.........Kovelev is no Iginla thats for sure...
I hope you're not saying Iginla has more talent than Kovy

ryanghg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2006, 05:23 PM
snowrunner*

and when the playoffs come around, if they do for this team, I am pretty sure it will be as usual, he will be no where to be found....

but we can't trade him, who would take him and his salary, but we could dump Gainey, he got us into this mess with him and Koivu..

Old
10-23-2006, 05:24 PM
snowrunner*

talent, no for sure kovelev has more, heart though, no question Iginla, in fact if Kovelev had 1/2 the heart the Iggy has he would be the best player in the game for sure..

Old
10-23-2006, 05:26 PM
BLONG7

Quote:
and when the playoffs come around, if they do for this team, I am pretty sure it will be as usual, he will be no where to be found....

but we can't trade him, who would take him and his salary, but we could dump Gainey, he got us into this mess with him and Koivu..
Kovy is $$$ in the bank in the playoffs...run along now, and put your PJ's on, it's almost bed time...

BLONG7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2006, 05:31 PM
snowrunner*

is he really money in the bank in the playoffs....

been around since 1996......13 goals 23 assists 36 points total...

average of just less then 4 points per year in the post season, is that a good return on your investment???

Old
10-23-2006, 05:44 PM
Mike8

Kovalev's been around longer than since 1996, and you're quite the annoying troll.

Mike8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2006, 05:46 PM
coolguy21415
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
is he really money in the bank in the playoffs....

been around since 1996......13 goals 23 assists 36 points total...

average of just less then 4 points per year in the post season, is that a good return on your investment???
84 points in 100 career playoff games isn't a bad statistic, especially since they were mostly pre-lockout games, and thus in a defensive era.
In Montreal he's a ppg playoff performer. What does playoff points per year matter when his teams didn't make the playoffs?
Please GTFO.

Old
10-23-2006, 05:51 PM
Evil Ted

Quote:

your one of them fans that got upset when we let Dagenais go arnt you?

Evil Ted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2006, 05:53 PM
BLONG7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Ted View Post
your one of them fans that got upset when we let Dagenais go arnt you?
I think he is Dags...

Old
10-23-2006, 05:54 PM
BLONG7

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedScull View Post
84 points in 100 career playoff games isn't a bad statistic, especially since they were mostly pre-lockout games, and thus in a defensive era.
In Montreal he's a ppg playoff performer. What does playoff points per year matter when his teams didn't make the playoffs?
Please GTFO.
Thanks, I didn't look the info up, but I was pretty sure he was almost a PPG...

Old
10-23-2006, 05:54 PM
Qui Gon Dave

Quote:
Is this the same nowhere to be found as when he was one of if not the top scorer for us in the 2004 playoffs? The guy who helped us pull off a 3-1 comeback against the Bruins in the 1st round (and got both first assists in game 7) and was one of the only people who could find a way to put the puck past Khabibulan, when everyone else was testing how comfy his pads were when the puck hit them. The same guy who stepped up against the Canes in 2006 and seemed the only consistantly offensively dangerous guy on the team once Saku went down?

What 'as usual' is your mind struggling to accurately remember? If we make the playoffs this year, I expect he will be found where he is usually found, at the forefront of any success we happen to see the team acheive in the playoffs. He's not perfect, but he's a world apart from what you seem to think of his contribution.

Qui Gon Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2006, 05:58 PM
pavlako11

I think he was thinking of the OTHER Kovalev........

pavlako11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2006, 06:03 PM
snowrunner*

where you watching the same series against the canes I was man......we were up 2-0 and they decided to step it up a bit and came back and swept us 4 straight, where was Kovelev then???

Old
10-23-2006, 06:06 PM
mcphee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike8 View Post
Kovalev's been around longer than since 1996, and you're quite the annoying troll.
I've got a theory about players like Kovalev that get the lazy rep. Having natural ability and being able to impose that ability often is a talent in itself. It's easier to do what Begin does every night than what Kovy does 50% of the time. We too easily assume that it's purely effort. I think I'll just watch the game though.

Last edited by mcphee: 10-23-2006 at 06:09 PM. Reason: nearsightedness
mcphee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2006, 06:11 PM
CrAzYNiNe

Send a message via MSN to CrAzYNiNe
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcphee View Post
I've got a theory about players like Kovalev that get the lazy rep. Having natural ability and being able to impose that ability often is a talent in itself. It's easier to do what Begin does every night than what Kovy does 50% of the time. We too easily assume that it's purely effort. I think I'll just watch the game though.
Well see the thing is Kovalev doesn't score any boring goals. If you notice he always tries his moves, and when they work, they are goals and exciting ones, when they don't work all the fans are like *** are you doing Kovalev? So like you said, it's really the way he plays.

CrAzYNiNe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2006, 06:13 PM
coolguy21415
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
where you watching the same series against the canes I was man......we were up 2-0 and they decided to step it up a bit and came back and swept us 4 straight, where was Kovelev then???
Half his points were scored in those last 4 games.. which were all 1-goal games by the way (NOT BITTER AT ALL!). Similarly, where was Ryder, or anyone else? We only scored 1 goal per game in those last 4 games, you can't blame it all on Kovalev. It was a team failure. Everyone was equally poor.

Old
10-23-2006, 06:21 PM
Qui Gon Dave

Quote:
I seriously doubt I have ever watched a hockey game and thought the same thing as you if you believe that Kovalev vanishes in the playoffs.

He was busy being double teamed by Carolina who knew that with Saku out, they pretty much only had to worry about Kovalev 'cos no-one else could create much. Where was our leading goalscorer after we went 2-0 up? For such important players, Markov, Ribeiro and Higgins weren't exactly saviours for us either. Yet I wouldn't blame them too much (although it would have been nice if Ribs could have finished a few of those chances) and I don't blame Kovalev (nor do I see reason to solely blame him) for us not beating Carolina.

Maybe when young you were taught that while playing hockey 'you win as a team and you lose becuase Alex Kovalev won't single-handedly bail us out'.

Old
10-23-2006, 06:51 PM
mcphee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qui Gon Dave View Post
I seriously doubt I have ever watched a hockey game and thought the same thing as you .

QGD, you're good at this.

mcphee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2006, 07:05 PM
Qui Gon Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcphee View Post
QGD, you're good at this.
Cheers mcphee, I've been posting on message boards for a while and I think I've got the hang of it now.