HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > Canadian Junior Hockey > OHL

OHL Roster Rules

Old
10-23-2006, 03:26 PM
eaton28

vCash: 500
OHL Roster Rules

anybody got a list of them? or know where i can find them?

i am looking for number of underagers allowed, and number of contracted players... thanks

eaton28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2006, 03:33 PM
stormfan#20#33

hey if you go on google and search OHL go to the league web site www.ontariohockeyleague.com and click on rosters there will be every team!!!

stormfan#20#33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2006, 03:47 PM
hockeyprincess

I can tell you what I know and I will use examples from the Kingston Frontenacs:

1. When a bunch of players goes to a training camp, they will trim that roster (which has about 50) to about 30.

2. From there, they see if any of the veteran players will be staying. This may be because some of the veterans are under contract with NHL clubs and are staying just to stay in shape. I know that this past year with the Frontenacs, goalie Danny Taylor and forward Radek Smolenak came to stay in shape before they went to their NHL training camps in Los Angeles and Tampa Bay, respectively. Teams can also reserve spots for players who cannot attend training camp, such as the Frontenacs did for Michael Kolarz, who was in a tournament in the Czech Republic when training camp rolled around.

3. Afterward, the next group of cuts can be made. This new team of about 25 players, including three goalies, plays in the exhibition schedule. There are some teams that have their rosters already determined, but in the Frontenacs' case, they didn't.

4. Soon, the final cuts are made, allowing for a team of 22. The team is allowed to sign their first two picks from the OHL Priority Selection, so the Frontenacs signed first-round pick Josh Brittain and second-round pick Nathan Moon. They are also allowed to keep one more goalie so, in this case, the Frontenacs chose David Scamurra, who was placed on waivers by the Ottawa 67's last year after they obtained Brady Morrison from the Frontenacs (how weird, eh?). Sometimes, even players who were on the roster the season before can be cut. The Frontenacs cut Matthew Reis this year, who scored only one goal in 51 games for them last season as a rookie. Each team is allowed two wildcard picks, so the Frontenacs picked their third-round pick in the OHL draft from this year, Robert Mignardi, and they also picked Peter Stevens, a defenceman who was drafted in the seventh round of the 2005 draft. The Frontenacs were allowed to pick Stevens after Reis was cut. They also placed 2004 fourth-round pick defenceman Shawn Connors on waivers so they decided to sign 2005 12th-round pick Austin Verge, another defenceman. (It makes me wonder: what would have happened in 2004 if the Frontenacs had not picked Cory Emmerton, the club's fifth-round pick as their wildcard?)

5. The team is allowed, if they wish, an import draft player to be on their roster. With the example of the Frontenacs, they knew that Radek Smolenak was not returning so they opted for the pick they chose in the 2006 CHL Import Draft, Robert Nyholm (a Columbus Blue Jackets prospect from Pietarsaari, Finland). With Michael Kolarz returning, they could have another import player since every CHL team is allowed to have two imports on their roster.

hockeyprincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2006, 09:33 PM
Marchy63

Quote:
Originally Posted by eaton28 View Post
anybody got a list of them? or know where i can find them?

i am looking for number of underagers allowed, and number of contracted players... thanks
Teams are allowed to have 3 overage players, 2 import players(the rule is expected to change to 1 in a few years) and 3 players that were drafted that year, your first and second rounders plus a wild card usually the the 3rd. However a team can begin the year with 4 overage players on the roster with only 3 playing at a time, but have to reduce the number to 3 before a certain date(not sure of the exact date).
A team is allowed to bring in as many players they wish to training camp but can only sign players that make up a roster of 22, meaning if a team wanted to they could change their entire team.
All unsigned players become free agents and are able to sign with any team in Major Junior or opt to stay in Junior A or Junior C.
Drafted players after the fourth round cannot play in the OHL until their Junior A team is eliminated from the playoffs but can be called up for only a brief time(around 12-16 games over the year). After that the player is allowed to play in all games the following season (if he makes the team).
A team is allowed to trade any player except their first rounder from that year, however their is a week or two in which that first round player can be traded but only in that specific time.
Hopefully I answered your questions

Marchy63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2006, 08:36 AM
OHLDAD

I am pretty sure that if you do not sign a draft pick he cannot then sign with any team as Savard71 stated. He will still belong to the OHL team that drafted him and his rights are still held by the Junior team that he played with the year before.
If he wants to sign with another OHL team he needs to get a release, waived, or traded to that team.

OHLDAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2006, 03:21 PM
Marchy63

If a drafted player is not signed within a cerain amount of time, he becomes a free agent and can sign where ever he chooses. Most players that are not signed are released by the team because there is no reason to keep a player in your system that you do not want. A team only has a maximum of 5 years with a player and are constantly drafting players, so to keep a player for 4-5 years to just not play him would make no sence.

Marchy63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2006, 04:01 PM
OHLDAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by savard71 View Post
If a drafted player is not signed within a cerain amount of time, he becomes a free agent and can sign where ever he chooses. Most players that are not signed are released by the team because there is no reason to keep a player in your system that you do not want. A team only has a maximum of 5 years with a player and are constantly drafting players, so to keep a player for 4-5 years to just not play him would make no sence.

O.k. Let's assume you are right about a player automatically becoming a free agent. After what "certain amount of time" does he become a free agent?

It may not make sense to keep a player for 4 or 5 years, but again I must state that to the best of my knowledge the players rights are retained by the team that drafted him until he is released / waived / traded.

If someone has definite knowledge of the OHL rule concerning this, please speak up.

OHLDAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2006, 03:17 PM
cdnbono

Quote:
Originally Posted by OHLDAD View Post
O.k. Let's assume you are right about a player automatically becoming a free agent. After what "certain amount of time" does he become a free agent?

It may not make sense to keep a player for 4 or 5 years, but again I must state that to the best of my knowledge the players rights are retained by the team that drafted him until he is released / waived / traded.

If someone has definite knowledge of the OHL rule concerning this, please speak up.
A player can not just go wherever he wants if he is not signed. The OHL team owns his rights for aslong as he is OHL eligable. That OHL team may release the player, trade him, or give the player permission to try out with another team. The player themselves can no go wherever he wants if this was the case we would have seen a player like Wes O'Neil go to any team he wanted when he refused to play for Kingston that drafted him 2nd overall.

cdnbono is offline   Reply With Quote