HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Craig Berube Named Flyers Assistant Coach

Old
10-23-2006, 10:24 PM
hockeydadx2*

vCash: 500
How come the Flyers only seem to hire ex-Flyers? Is that really a good policy?

hockeydadx2* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2006, 10:54 PM
RoDu
Shagga likes axes

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeydadx2 View Post
Ramsay was an ex-Bruin

RoDu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2006, 11:17 PM
pelts35.com

So the coaching staff is comprised of a head coach that was a defenseman with a total of 22 goals in the AHL, an assistant coach that was a defenseman with a total of 4 NHL goals and an assistant coach that was an enforcer that scored 61 NHL goals. Why am I not feeling very confident that the offense on this team is going to turn around under this regime?

BTW, I was in Columbus tonight at the Blue Jackets game and the crowd was chanting "We Want Hitch".

pelts35.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2006, 11:28 PM
sansan

Quote:
Originally Posted by pelts35.com View Post
So the coaching staff is comprised of a head coach that was a defenseman with a total of 22 goals in the AHL, an assistant coach that was a defenseman with a total of 4 NHL goals and an assistant coach that was an enforcer that scored 61 NHL goals. Why am I not feeling very confident that the offense on this team is going to turn around under this regime?

BTW, I was in Columbus tonight at the Blue Jackets game and the crowd was chanting "We Want Hitch".
Using that logic, shouldn't Gretzky be the winningest coach in the league?

sansan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2006, 11:35 PM
watson

Quote:
Originally Posted by pelts35.com View Post

What are they willing to trade for him?, afterall he is still employed and paid by the Flyers... "relieved of duties" collect a paycheck for this season and the next 2

watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2006, 11:57 PM
RoDu
Shagga likes axes

Quote:
Originally Posted by watson View Post
What are they willing to trade for him?, afterall he is still employed and paid by the Flyers... "relieved of duties" collect a paycheck for this season and the next 2
I'll take Nash for Hitch lol

RoDu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2006, 12:05 AM
Lisenok
orangeandblack.ru

Fight! Fight! Fight!

Seriously, more character for kids, i think.

Lisenok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2006, 01:27 AM
GoneFullHextall
Fire Berube

one question

WHY?

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2006, 01:48 AM
BobbyClarkeFan16

I have no qualms with a coaching trio of Stevens, Murray and Berube. Everyone makes a big deal about "needing" an experienced head coach. Fact of the matter is that guys like Bob Hartley, Marc Crawford, Randy Carlyle, Mike Babcock, Guy Carbonneau, etc....all had less coaching experience than Stevens before taking their first head coaching jobs. And in the case of some guys like MacTavish, they just jumped immediately into a head coaching position without ever being a head coach anywhere.

We needed a change. And I'll still allude to that one Gagne quote from the players article on philly.com - very afraid to make a mistake. Is that kind of attitude conducive to creating an environment for players to perform? Absolutely not. Hitch got away with it for years, but once the youngsters came on board, he needed to change that line of thinking and never did and that's the biggest reason why there's a coaching change. If he would have lightened up a bit, there wouldn't be this conversation right now.

BobbyClarkeFan16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2006, 05:44 AM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve L View Post
Well Hitch benched players if they fought. Stevens and Berube will actively encourage the players to stick up for each other.

You can be the toughest team in the league but its no good unless you are allowed to show it.
ah, that's complete BS.

this team wasn't fighting because we don't have any fighters on the roster and fighting is down across the league, not because Hitch "benched players if they fought."

Gagne-Forsberg-Knuble (i'd be suprised if this line had more than 3 NHL fights)
Umberger-Carter-Rosie (1 or 2, 0 that i can think of, and none...)
Sanderson-Richards-Calder (prolly not too many, willing, willing?... none of them are "fighters")
Eager-Robitaille-Kapanen (fighter, no, no)

Pitkanen-Rathje (no, no)
Hatcher-Gauthier (not as much anymore, not really)
Jones/Picard/Meyer/Jonsson (no, no, no, and no)

there will be more fights because Eager is on this team... but the reason we weren't fighting is because the team that Clarke built wasn't a hitting/fighting team. i was complaining about the lack of physicality to this team in the offseason, it was no great shock that they play a more passive physical game.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2006, 08:45 AM
Tinordi24*

Quote:
Originally Posted by PitkanenPower View Post
Terry Murray? You have no confidence in Terry Murray?
In his stint with the Caps he instantly made the team tougher and more gritty. The Caps hit everything in sight and had no qualms getting into penalty fests (there was one Caps flyers game with over 300 penalty minutes and he was the coach)

I didnt watch him closely with the Flyers in his first stint but I knew the Flyers were pretty tough with a pre concussion Lindros.

Murray is a good good coach.

Tinordi24* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2006, 08:46 AM
MojoJojo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Dank View Post
the coaching staff is gonna be a lot tougher
fixed

MojoJojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2006, 09:02 AM
Alchemy
Philadelphia Flyers

Give Berube a chance...Your playing career dosent make you a good coach its the understanding of the game.. We dont know How good the current coaching staff is because were not behinde the bench..not in the locker rooms we dont know.. wait for the results... until then just sit and chill

Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2006, 09:27 AM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolv3rinE View Post
Give Berube a chance...Your playing career dosent make you a good coach its the understanding of the game.. We dont know How good the current coaching staff is because were not behinde the bench..not in the locker rooms we dont know.. wait for the results... until then just sit and chill
my problem isn't his NHL career... my problem is his lack of experience coaching... with a head coach who has NO NHL coaching experience.

Old
10-24-2006, 09:32 AM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
ah, that's complete BS.

this team wasn't fighting because we don't have any fighters on the roster and fighting is down across the league, not because Hitch "benched players if they fought."

Sanderson-Richards-Calder (prolly not too many, willing, willing?... none of them are "fighters")

Pitkanen-Rathje (no, no)

there will be more fights because Eager is on this team... but the reason we weren't fighting is because the team that Clarke built wasn't a hitting/fighting team. i was complaining about the lack of physicality to this team in the offseason, it was no great shock that they play a more passive physical game.
Jonsson always gets into fights when I use him in NHL 07. I know I'm gonna get an "EA sucks" response from this, but who knows, maybe its a sign of things to come?

JLHockeyKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2006, 10:17 AM
penguinonapole

Quote:
ah, that's complete BS.

Pitkanen-Rathje (no, no)

We did not lose most of our games because we were physically beat. We lost becuase we cannot score, and we cannot prevent the other teams from scoring on us. Teams like Buffalo are not terribly physical, yet they destroyed us. The problem is our team skill, it has nothing to do with being physical. Being physical is nice, but when you cant score 5 on 5, or on the powerplay, or stop the other teams powerplay. Being physical is the last of our worries. Catch up on Today's NHL, the Best team in the league is probably has the least amount of fighters on it. Fighters are not needed in todays nhl, especially if they dont have skill, they just hold you team back. Today's NHL is more of a game of skill, and special teams.

This is not the NHL of old, where if you didnt have any skilled players you would just send skill-less goons to intimidate your opponents star-players. Than the teams with star players needed to sign skill-less goons to protect their star players from the other skill-less goons. Than we had every team wasted with players who have no NHL skill other than fighting. It is pathetic... Give me a skilled player over a fighter anyday. If they can do both great. but one thing we dont need is a waste of a roster space for someone who simply just fights. We are having trouble scoring enough as it is.

Last edited by penguinonapole: 10-24-2006 at 10:23 AM.
penguinonapole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2006, 10:34 AM
markzab

Send a message via AIM to markzab
Quote:
For not being a "fighter" this kind can sure knock some heads , IMO. When he fights he reminds me of Recchi when he used to fight. I used to always think Recchi was nuts to challange a guy and fight him but then I'd be surprised to watch him win almost every time. It's the fire in these guys that we have to hope for.

markzab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2006, 11:23 AM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeydadx2 View Post
Just since the 1990s, the Flyers have hired outsiders Terry Simpson, Craig Ramsey, Wayne Cashman and Roger Neilson as head coaches and employed Russ Farwell as GM.

MiamiScreamingEagles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2006, 11:29 AM
Kaktus*

If Craig Berube would become Habs or Leafs Assistant head coach the whole nation would go crazy. Only in Philadelphia owners can make those kind of moves.
Who is next Tie Domi?

Kaktus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2006, 12:30 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLHockeyKnight25 View Post
Jonsson always gets into fights when I use him in NHL 07. I know I'm gonna get an "EA sucks" response from this, but who knows, maybe its a sign of things to come?
EA's fighting always used to piss me off... i forget who it was, but one of the top scorers on the squad i was playing with (i use to GM 10 years into the future an then play) got in a fight on like every shift.

drove me nutz.

don't have ps2 here in scotland, so can't play this year, sadly.

Old
10-24-2006, 12:30 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by markzab View Post
For not being a "fighter" this kind can sure knock some heads , IMO. When he fights he reminds me of Recchi when he used to fight. I used to always think Recchi was nuts to challange a guy and fight him but then I'd be surprised to watch him win almost every time. It's the fire in these guys that we have to hope for.
i don't want Richards fighting...

i don't want him in the box for 5 minutes.

i don't want him breaking his hand.

Old
10-24-2006, 12:31 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by penguinonapole View Post
We did not lose most of our games because we were physically beat. We lost becuase we cannot score, and we cannot prevent the other teams from scoring on us. Teams like Buffalo are not terribly physical, yet they destroyed us. The problem is our team skill, it has nothing to do with being physical. Being physical is nice, but when you cant score 5 on 5, or on the powerplay, or stop the other teams powerplay. Being physical is the last of our worries. Catch up on Today's NHL, the Best team in the league is probably has the least amount of fighters on it. Fighters are not needed in todays nhl, especially if they dont have skill, they just hold you team back. Today's NHL is more of a game of skill, and special teams.

This is not the NHL of old, where if you didnt have any skilled players you would just send skill-less goons to intimidate your opponents star-players. Than the teams with star players needed to sign skill-less goons to protect their star players from the other skill-less goons. Than we had every team wasted with players who have no NHL skill other than fighting. It is pathetic... Give me a skilled player over a fighter anyday. If they can do both great. but one thing we dont need is a waste of a roster space for someone who simply just fights. We are having trouble scoring enough as it is.
you're preaching to the choir dude... i've been doing nothing but harping on the fact that the problem with this team has been not scoring among the core group of "we need them to score this year" players.

Old
10-24-2006, 12:35 PM
BobbyClarkeFan16

Quote:
i don't want Richards fighting...

i don't want him in the box for 5 minutes.

i don't want him breaking his hand.
I'm with you on that one. What we really need is a Tocchet-type player on this team. It's funny though because we've got some forwards with good size. For instance, Carter, Umberger and Knuble are all 6'2 or taller and weighing in at over 200 pounds. I'd like to start seeing them really throw their weight around. They all kind of remind me of John LeClair. Maybe they're just a little bit too gentle of giants. Develop a mean streak in those three and they might just surprise everyone.

BobbyClarkeFan16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2006, 12:42 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16 View Post
I'm with you on that one. What we really need is a Tocchet-type player on this team. It's funny though because we've got some forwards with good size. For instance, Carter, Umberger and Knuble are all 6'2 or taller and weighing in at over 200 pounds. I'd like to start seeing them really throw their weight around. They all kind of remind me of John LeClair. Maybe they're just a little bit too gentle of giants. Develop a mean streak in those three and they might just surprise everyone.
Carter is so damn lanky, i can't imagine him being a good fighter at all. Umberger could probably go, but he's clearly not a fighter and also went the USHS/College path which isn't a path that "fighters" are really going to develop in.

Old
10-24-2006, 01:04 PM
Steve L*

Quote:
ah, that's complete BS.

Pitkanen-Rathje (no, no)

Theres also going to be more fights now that Grant is on the team. The options were there for Hitch to use but he didnt. The new coaching staff are using those options which makes the team tougher, they have said they will stick up for each other. Im right on this one.

Steve L* is offline   Reply With Quote