HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Craig Berube Named Flyers Assistant Coach

Old
10-24-2006, 01:39 PM
Jester

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve L View Post
Theres also going to be more fights now that Grant is on the team. The options were there for Hitch to use but he didnt. The new coaching staff are using those options which makes the team tougher, they have said they will stick up for each other. Im right on this one.
fighting is dying in the NHL... sticking up for your team is completely different than being a fighter. Eager serves a good role because he knows which end of the stick to use... Grant brings nothing to the table in that dimension.

Grant is a dead roster spot.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2006, 03:34 PM
Steve L*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
fighting is dying in the NHL... sticking up for your team is completely different than being a fighter. Eager serves a good role because he knows which end of the stick to use... Grant brings nothing to the table in that dimension.

Grant is a dead roster spot.
Under Hitch, we had at least a dozen dead roster spots filled with ******* so Ill quite happily accept one dead spot if it means he will go after players who dish out cheap shots.

Steve L* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2006, 04:16 PM
FlyersProspect2

Send a message via AIM to FlyersProspect2
Maybe with less experience the coaching staff will bring new NHL ideas that this team needs.

FlyersProspect2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2006, 04:31 PM
BobbyClarkeFan16

Quote:
Carter is so damn lanky, i can't imagine him being a good fighter at all. Umberger could probably go, but he's clearly not a fighter and also went the USHS/College path which isn't a path that "fighters" are really going to develop in.
I don't think its so much the fighting thing as it is having that intimidating presence in which people will give you space. I don't want them fighting either, but if they ever decided to play a real physical game and start hammering bodies into the boards, maybe they'd make some room for themselves. That's what we don't have on this team right now - a physical presence that brings a sense of intimidation.

BobbyClarkeFan16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2006, 07:56 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16 View Post
I don't think its so much the fighting thing as it is having that intimidating presence in which people will give you space. I don't want them fighting either, but if they ever decided to play a real physical game and start hammering bodies into the boards, maybe they'd make some room for themselves. That's what we don't have on this team right now - a physical presence that brings a sense of intimidation.
it's tough to be really physical when your center of gravity is 6' off the ice, like Carter. it will develop in time, similar to Gagne, he needs to spend some time developing his shoulders/core in order to be stronger along the boards -- fortunately, unlike Gagne, Carter clearly has the frame to develop a much more dominant physical frame.

Umberger should be a more physical player, he's got the perfect build to get rough in the corners...

Old
10-24-2006, 09:28 PM
mikedifr

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeydadx2 View Post
How come the Flyers only seem to hire ex-Flyers? Is that really a good policy?
Actually I think this is one of their biggest problems. I would like to see them go outside of the organization for once.

Its a damn damn shame we let Lombardi go before this happened.

mikedifr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2006, 10:13 PM
BobbyClarkeFan16

Quote:
it's tough to be really physical when your center of gravity is 6' off the ice, like Carter. it will develop in time, similar to Gagne, he needs to spend some time developing his shoulders/core in order to be stronger along the boards -- fortunately, unlike Gagne, Carter clearly has the frame to develop a much more dominant physical frame.

Umberger should be a more physical player, he's got the perfect build to get rough in the corners...
Hopefully Carter fills out at 225 with a mean disposition to go along with it. That seems to be the one thing most players lack right now - a mean streak. That's why Downie is going to be critical in the future success of this team. He's got that mean streak to him and the dirty play to go along with it. I don't mind having a bit of a rat on the team at all. You also know that he won't lie down when someone runs our star players. He'll be the first looking for retribution. Those are the kinds of players we need right now. Someone with the mentality of "you run our star players, I'm going to intentionally hurt yours."

BobbyClarkeFan16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2006, 10:48 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16 View Post
Hopefully Carter fills out at 225 with a mean disposition to go along with it. That seems to be the one thing most players lack right now - a mean streak. That's why Downie is going to be critical in the future success of this team. He's got that mean streak to him and the dirty play to go along with it. I don't mind having a bit of a rat on the team at all. You also know that he won't lie down when someone runs our star players. He'll be the first looking for retribution. Those are the kinds of players we need right now. Someone with the mentality of "you run our star players, I'm going to intentionally hurt yours."
i'm all about dirty... as long as you can play, which Downie should bring to the table. unlike players like Grant, who really bring nothing to the table. new NHL doesn't really allow for dead-weight on the roster because of the salary cap... everyone has to have a functional role on the roster and fighting/being a pain in the *** isn't really a functional role... at least not the way the game is played now.

with the distribution of talent because of the cap, you can't have Brashear's, Worrell's, etc. at the back of the bench... kills you over the course of the season when you have money tied up in those types of players.

i think Downie is probably going to need a year in the AHL unless we're in full on youth movement... i'm hoping that roster spot can go to Giroux.

Old
10-25-2006, 08:35 AM
glovesave*

Quote:
Originally Posted by AHall18NYR View Post
that is true but they do got Ben Eager. Im shocked he got sent to the Phantoms, I thought he would take over for huggy bear brashear full time. Hollweg beat him last year in a scrap vs the Flyers.
No he didn't.

And beyond that, Mike Richards destroyed Scalliwag Hollweg. It wasn't even close. Hollweg should stick to fighting high school kids on Myspace like he's been doing.

glovesave* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2006, 10:36 AM
MojoJojo

I'm thinking Berube's job is to keep our own players in line. Not that he is going to smash them in the face if they mouth off. Really we have to face the fact that this team has character issues. Individually, it seems like we have a lot of guys with good character, but overall there is a real tendency to give up and throw in the towel, not listen to the coach, play selfishly, take shifts off, etc. Lockerroom influence is overrated by some in terms of individual players, but there are definately teams that need a good dose of someone telling them to shut the f up and play. Could just have easily been Primeau, but Berube does have a small amount of coaching experience already.

MojoJojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2006, 10:38 AM
ArchieIsGod

Quote:
Originally Posted by MojoJojo View Post
I'm thinking Berube's job is to keep our own players in line. Not that he is going to smash them in the face if they mouth off. Really we have to face the fact that this team has character issues. Individually, it seems like we have a lot of guys with good character, but overall there is a real tendency to give up and throw in the towel, not listen to the coach, play selfishly, take shifts off, etc. Lockerroom influence is overrated by some in terms of individual players, but there are definately teams that need a good dose of someone telling them to shut the f up and play. Could just have easily been Primeau, but Berube does have a small amount of coaching experience already.
apparently he was also brought in to work on the powerplay

ArchieIsGod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2006, 10:53 AM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArchieIsGod View Post

Old
10-27-2006, 11:58 AM
pelts35.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArchieIsGod View Post
Like the blind leading the deaf. Did Craig Berube even see 1 second of PP time in his career?

pelts35.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2006, 12:16 PM
BringBackStevens

Quote:
Originally Posted by pelts35.com View Post
Like the blind leading the deaf. Did Craig Berube even see 1 second of PP time in his career?
pretty irrelevant.

BringBackStevens is offline   Reply With Quote