Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Quad strain question

10-24-2006, 03:26 AM
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Kritter471
Quad strain question

So I managed to strain/pull one of my quadricepts muscles about a week ago. It's getting to the point where it's not painful any more, but seeing as the quads are one of the main muscle groups used in the skating crouch, how long should I hold off on getting back out on the ice?

To give you guys a sense of where I am, it's been about five days since I hurt it. It's still stiff and sore when I wake up and will hurt pretty noticably when I flex it completely (aka lock my knee straight). I haven't tried holding a crouch since the first day when I was trying to figure out what hurt most so I could avoid it. The crouch was right at the top of the list.

We're just at the beginning of my season, and I'd really rather not hurt it more by playing too soon, but I've never had to deal with a pulled quad before and have no idea when it's "better" enough to play.

Kritter471 is offline   Reply With Quote
10-24-2006, 07:16 AM
vCash: 500
Depends on what grade of strain. Because you indicate pain on extension with(?) resistance I would say off hand its between a grade 1 and grade 2. You made a good decision to hold off for the week.

Ice would be indicated where there is continuous pain to increase blood flow and reduce any swelling/inflammation. !5 minutes on/15 off or you start a hypothermic response(reduced blood flow to area) Heat as much as possible and a wrap will help speed the process. Wet a towel and microwave. Wrap Damp(not dripping) heated towel in a dry towel for a good moist heat wrap. Be sure to NOT burn yourself ! You cant over do heat. Another day or three and you should see marked improvement.

Be sure to walk out the stiffness, avoid any serious stretching of the injured thigh until pain free on resisted leg extention, and begin with assisted squats(no weight). STOP if you feel pain. Place two dining chairs pack to back and stand between. Hold the chaid backs using your arms for the assistance. Try ONE unassisted squat if you have NO PAIN. The thigh should be wrapped with an ace bandage or a compression wrap during this. Be sure your protein intake is sufficient to help the healing process. Use your best judgement when deciding to increase your work load. A stationary bike on a VERY low resistance setting is a great rehab tool.

ALWAYS if your able, seek professional help..

Last edited by MikeD: 10-24-2006 at 07:26 AM.
MikeD is offline   Reply With Quote