HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

What could the Habs get for Rivet?

Old
10-24-2006, 10:44 AM
Drive425

vCash: 500
What could the Habs get for Rivet?

Yes, I know I'm jumping the gun, however the cruel hard reality is that we won't be able to keep all our ufa defense.(not sure I want to ) What type of return could we get for a stay at home, big heart, team guy like Rivet? Yes, he's not the fastest or flashy but Rivet is a valuable commodity! Great dressing room guys/team spirit guys with defensive skill are at a premium...just ask the flyers!

Bottom line...do we trade him and what do we get in return?

Drive425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2006, 10:46 AM
AlexandreTheNotSoGreat

We can get back a Rivet-like defenseman or forward.

AlexandreTheNotSoGreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2006, 10:46 AM
AH

Maybe it's just me but we have way too many threads about next year when this year has barely even started.

Things will change over the course of the season, but it seems that the way Souray has started this year, it will be VERY hard to sign him and fit him under our cap space.

AH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2006, 10:52 AM
GoodKiwi

Quote:
Originally Posted by AH View Post
Maybe it's just me but we have way too many threads about next year when this year has barely even started.
On an unrelated note, I think that it should be clear to everyone that the season has indeed started and team must realize that slacking off during this stretch will come back and bite them in the *** in the end. I'm growing pretty tired hearing comments like this, although this is by no means a jab at you because I know that you meant it in a totally different context. Noneless I just felt like saying this to everyone else.

GoodKiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2006, 10:57 AM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

Quote:

Things will change over the course of the season, but it seems that the way Souray has started this year, it will be VERY hard to sign him and fit him under our cap space.
Agreed. As Habs fans we had better hope exclusively for one of the two following outcomes on the Rivet front:

1) We re-sign him.
2) We get nothing for him.

Because the only way we end up making a trade involving our impending-UFA defensemen is if the season is a total writeoff.

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2006, 11:04 AM
AH

Quote:
Originally Posted by P1x44r View Post
On an unrelated note, I think that it should be clear to everyone that the season has indeed started and team must realize that slacking off during this stretch will come back and bite them in the *** in the end. I'm growing pretty tired hearing comments like this, although this is by no means a jab at you because I know that you meant it in a totally different context. Noneless I just felt like saying this to everyone else.
Yes because we all know that the true tale sign of a team's capabolities is in October.

It's not how you start, it's how you finish.

AH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2006, 11:06 AM
GoneAway

vCash:
We'd get back Two Scoops of Raisin'.....

Old
10-24-2006, 11:07 AM
GoodKiwi

Quote:
Yes because we all know that the true tale sign of a team's capabolities is in October.

It's not how you start, it's how you finish.
Well, if we didn't go cold November-December in the last season we wouldn't be praying for every point down the stretch and roll over playing top ranked teams of the East in the early rounds of the playoffs.

You wish we played someone like Philly or New York last year instead of Carolina first round, don't you?

Old
10-24-2006, 11:47 AM
pavlako11

He'd be of MORE used to us in the playoffs then anything we could get in return.

END OF STORY

pavlako11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2006, 11:54 AM
mcphee

Quote:
Who has suggested that 2 points in November count less than in March ? They're looking to win every game as far as I can see. I hope they play .700 in November/December. Who's slacking off ? They haven't mailed in any efforts.

Like BG said, if you look to deal a Rivet, you get a player in a similar situation, impending ufa, average player. He's needed to play well, more than he is to be moved. If he's moved at the deadline, it's a sign that the team doesn't need him as no playoff run is expected. If I read Gainey's intentions here, he felt defensive depth was more important than an offensive C or why get Niiniimaa ?

mcphee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2006, 12:02 PM
PERPETUALSMILEZ

I have never been a fan of Rivet's......I personally think his negatives out way the positives as a hockey player. He looses the puck a lot, makes a lot of crappy passes that usually get intercepted, most of the time looses the man he's supposed to be covering etc.

I will say that he does have amazing team spirit tho. Unfortunately you need more than just team spirit to be a good hockey player.

Really think Chris Higgins deserves that A more than Rivet does

PERPETUALSMILEZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2006, 12:35 PM
Pascal

Quote:
Originally Posted by PERPETUALSMILEZ View Post
I have never been a fan of Rivet's......I personally think his negatives out way the positives as a hockey player. He looses the puck a lot, makes a lot of crappy passes that usually get intercepted, most of the time looses the man he's supposed to be covering etc.

I will say that he does have amazing team spirit tho. Unfortunately you need more than just team spirit to be a good hockey player.

Really think Chris Higgins deserves that A more than Rivet does

Pascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2006, 12:46 PM
Beatnik

Send a message via MSN to Beatnik
Quote:
Originally Posted by pavlako11 View Post
He'd be of MORE used to us in the playoffs then anything we could get in return.

END OF STORY
Yeah, except if we fall out of the playoffs, there is no reason to be sellers.

Beatnik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2006, 01:08 PM
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drive425 View Post
Yes, I know I'm jumping the gun, however the cruel hard reality is that we won't be able to keep all our ufa defense.(not sure I want to ) What type of return could we get for a stay at home, big heart, team guy like Rivet? Yes, he's not the fastest or flashy but Rivet is a valuable commodity! Great dressing room guys/team spirit guys with defensive skill are at a premium...just ask the flyers!

Bottom line...do we trade him and what do we get in return?
probably a 4th round pick at most... considering he's a UFA d-man.... I dont think its worth giving him up though.... unless we are completely out of playoff contention at the deadline

Hackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2006, 01:28 PM
Drive425

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hackett View Post
probably a 4th round pick at most... considering he's a UFA d-man.... I dont think its worth giving him up though.... unless we are completely out of playoff contention at the deadline
I don't know about a 4th rounder. Jesus, Witt went for a 1st rounder last year and he's comparible. I guess you have to find a team desperate enough and you can get more then expected, if you're a seller.

Drive425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2006, 01:31 PM
badfish
Habs fan in SK

hmm i dont think we should trade him. instead i think we should ask what do we get from rivet? leadership. you need it for a team like ours where there is lots of younger players. rivet may be slow, he may be a liability in some areas... the rivet-haters out there could create a better list out there.

i don't think we should trade rivet unless we have to (i.e. we need the space for signing souray and markov or something like that.)

badfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2006, 02:12 PM
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny

Quote:
I don't know about a 4th rounder. Jesus, Witt went for a 1st rounder last year and he's comparible. I guess you have to find a team desperate enough and you can get more then expected, if you're a seller.
that trade raised alot of eyebrows... it all depends on how desperate the other team is... I'd say a 4th rounder is fair

Hackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2006, 02:19 PM
MM425

Markov or Sourray would get much more return than Rivet, even as rental players at the deadline... sooo trading Rivet is less likely to happen.

Plus, I see Rivet as the most lieky of the 3 to resign anyway... so no, don't trade him.

MM425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2006, 02:23 PM
SniperMogilny2K6*

Rivet, Kovalev
for
Malkin

SniperMogilny2K6* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2006, 02:56 PM
pavlako11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beatnik View Post
Yeah, except if we fall out of the playoffs, there is no reason to be sellers.
If we fall out of the playoffs Rivet would be the LEAST of our problems

Old
10-24-2006, 02:57 PM
pavlako11

Quote:
Jesus & Witt??? for a 1st rounder???

Old
10-24-2006, 03:02 PM
GoodKiwi

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavlako11 View Post
Jesus & Witt??? for a 1st rounder???
What was Jesus' plus/minus like last season though?

Old
10-24-2006, 03:08 PM
WeThreeKings

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Quote:
What was Jesus' plus/minus like last season though?
He spent most of his time in the penalty box for fighting Miroslav Satan.

WeThreeKings is offline   Reply With Quote