HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

stiff Goalie Glove

Old
10-18-2006, 02:15 PM
TomWaits

vCash: 500
stiff Goalie Glove

My goalie glove is really old (18 yrs) it is in great shape but gets very stiff after being left in the garage all wk. (my wife won't let me bring it in the house)

During the first few minutes of my game it is very stiff often times the puck will hit my glove and bounce back out cause I can't close the glove as quickly as possible - any suggestions?

Right now I am wetting my hand and putting it in the glove to get some heat/mositure into the glove and I try to wear it as long as a can before the game.

thanks

TomWaits

TomWaits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2006, 03:47 PM
slapshot™

I've tried saddle soap to no avail (apparently it will soften up the leather).

My Vaughn trapper is the same. If I don't use it for some time it dries hard and stiff. To fix this I will pour some water in it and work the glove for an hour or two (the night before). I'm playing on average 2 or 3 games per week so it usually remains pliable.

slapshot™ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2006, 04:42 PM
Hedberg
MLD Glue Guy

Bake it in a skate oven

Hedberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2006, 05:02 PM
MikeD

Given its age I would say that its still real leather. If it is, neatsfoot oil will help greatly. Mix a solution of 1 cup water, 1 cup white vinegar. This will help break the salts. Mist the interior and exterior of the glove VERY well and then let dry. Get a shop rag soaked with neatsfoot oil and rub that on the entire exterior of the glove. The leather should darken. Let it sit for a day to obsorb and repeat. You can take strips of cloth soaked with neatsfoot oil and rub the interior palm of the glove. Again rubbing it in and then let sit for 24 Hrs, repeat again. There are also leather conditioners that will help keep that supple closure in the glove. You will prob want to condition hte glove on a monthly basis. Avoid amor-all products as they can tend to dry out and cause cracking of you dont maintain a treatment schedule.

Look for a local OZONE CLEANING from a local hockey shop. The glove wont be relegated to the garage once you have it processed and then simply mist after each game witha solution of 1 part isopropyl alcohol to 3 parts water. You wont have to soak the glove...just a light misting of the interior after each use.

MikeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2006, 09:06 PM
HansonBro

just a thought, im not a goalie or anything. But maybe moistening a towel and heating it in the microwave and then wrapping your glove before game time. The other poster said something about salt which really makes sence if the gloves that old.

HansonBro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2006, 08:43 AM
TomWaits

thanks guys!

TomWaits

TomWaits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2006, 02:55 PM
MikeD

Quote:
Originally Posted by HansonBro View Post
just a thought, im not a goalie or anything. But maybe moistening a towel and heating it in the microwave and then wrapping your glove before game time. The other poster said something about salt which really makes sence if the gloves that old.
That is actually one of the "easy break in" methods for new gloves. It would work well to loosen an old or new glove.

MikeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2006, 12:37 PM
goalie_power

i used saddle soap on mine and worked it with a hot moist towel. just knead it with ur hand a little bit and it should soften up.... after a game i usually stuff a clean towel in there too to soak up some of the moisture... good luck with that one!!

goalie_power is offline   Reply With Quote