HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Mouth Richards

Old
10-25-2006, 04:19 PM
JXC
#LaviPondHockeyFail

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panasonic Youth View Post
goat poker
Cool.

JXC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2006, 04:20 PM
cleduc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winston Wolf View Post
Oh well, he'll still be considerably more valuable than any of the Leafs' young forwards when all is said and done.
When he's able to show that on the NHL ice, you might have a point. Until then, the young Leafs forwards are doing their talking on the ice and in that context, what they've had to say over the last 34 games is considerably more substantial.

cleduc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2006, 04:37 PM
Winston Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleduc View Post
When he's able to show that on the NHL ice, you might have a point. Until then, the young Leafs forwards are doing their talking on the ice and in that context, what they've had to say over the last 34 games is considerably more substantial.
Watch the games, not the stat sheets.

Winston Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2006, 04:44 PM
BringBackStevens

what a stupid post. this is exactly the type of things the players on this team didn't do enough of

BringBackStevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2006, 06:04 PM
cleduc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winston Wolf View Post
Watch the games, not the stat sheets.
I have. The team has been well under .500 hockey in that time frame. Richards works pretty hard but he really hasn't been that impressive for some time.

He's getting top 6 PP ice time and has received 5 on 5 scoring line ice time but has no points whatsoever this season. It's fine to try to hide from "let's not look at the stats sheets when they don't look good" but that's a tough one to escape. If he's put into a scoring roll, he needs to deliver with no excuses blaming a coach because he wasn't an established NHLer (like about 2/3rds of Cup winning coaches since '67).

His team has the worst offence in the NHL in this early season. Mike has been a part of that problem. It's been a problem for him for some time. He needs to produce at both ends of the ice and beyond the stats, I see that when I watch the game. He was a pretty darn good scorer in junior. I think it's fair to demand some of that when his team needs it.

I like Mike. He has talent, heart and I think he's going to be a good, solid NHLer. But I also think he needs to shut up now and give us something to talk about by him playing to his potential on the ice. Screw the soap opera off the ice.

Last edited by cleduc: 10-25-2006 at 06:09 PM.
Old
10-25-2006, 07:16 PM
curlyQ

curlyQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2006, 08:14 PM
Roger's Pancreas*

Send a message via AIM to Roger's Pancreas*
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleduc View Post
I have. The team has been well under .500 hockey in that time frame. Richards works pretty hard but he really hasn't been that impressive for some time.

He's getting top 6 PP ice time and has received 5 on 5 scoring line ice time but has no points whatsoever this season. It's fine to try to hide from "let's not look at the stats sheets when they don't look good" but that's a tough one to escape. If he's put into a scoring roll, he needs to deliver with no excuses blaming a coach because he wasn't an established NHLer (like about 2/3rds of Cup winning coaches since '67).

His team has the worst offence in the NHL in this early season. Mike has been a part of that problem. It's been a problem for him for some time. He needs to produce at both ends of the ice and beyond the stats, I see that when I watch the game. He was a pretty darn good scorer in junior. I think it's fair to demand some of that when his team needs it.

I like Mike. He has talent, heart and I think he's going to be a good, solid NHLer. But I also think he needs to shut up now and give us something to talk about by him playing to his potential on the ice. Screw the soap opera off the ice.
Honestly, I haven't agreed with a single thing you've said, yet. But since I don't have a lot of time, I'll keep it short and sweet. This is the NHL, and it has an 82 game schedule (not 8). Richards could still put together a 40-50 point season, and make this entire issue* non-existant.

*I only call it an issue only because he plays in Philadelphia. He was asked a question (like Primeau), and he answered it without the sweet sugar coating a lot of people are used to. Get over it. If he said that he was playing the best hockey of his life, I might be worried, but that's not the case. He shouldered the blame like a mature adult. I notice you overlooked that, while you were too busy painting Richards as the next Sean Avery.

Roger's Pancreas* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2006, 09:26 PM
cleduc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panasonic Youth View Post
Honestly, I haven't agreed with a single thing you've said, yet. But since I don't have a lot of time, I'll keep it short and sweet. This is the NHL, and it has an 82 game schedule (not 8). Richards could still put together a 40-50 point season, and make this entire issue* non-existant.

*I only call it an issue only because he plays in Philadelphia. He was asked a question (like Primeau), and he answered it without the sweet sugar coating a lot of people are used to. Get over it. If he said that he was playing the best hockey of his life, I might be worried, but that's not the case. He shouldered the blame like a mature adult. I notice you overlooked that, while you were too busy painting Richards as the next Sean Avery.
He's lightyears away from a Sean Avery. I'm surprised to see both names in the same post. Some people like yourself don't have a problem with his comments and that's fine. Some people like myself took exception to a part of his comments and that's their/our prerogative or opinion. If he said a little less, none of us would have an issue. I really don't think all this chatter in the media does Mike or his team a lot of good. Behind closed doors may well be another story. It risks further issues when many are already pretty hyper sensitive with some raw feelings about the coach and GM who have lost their jobs.

Like much of the hockey world, I feel the Flyers are underachieving. With Hatcher and some of the talent on the D, I don't see a lot of room for improvement. Pikanen is coming along gradually. Jonsson may blossom yet he's a got a ways to go. But for the most part, they are what they are. The Forsberg line is scoring. If the Flyers could get a second line going and taking the play to the opposition, the best defence might be more of their offence. As Richards and Carter have a large potential for improvement unlike a Hatcher, I say that's the logical place to look for improvement. Talk is cheap. Actions will speak louder than words. Let's see what these kids really have to offer.