HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Latendresse on the 2nd line for tomorrow's game !

Old
10-25-2006, 12:17 PM
Munchausen
Full Time A-hole

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by davedave View Post
I don't see why there's such an outcry. Everyone's looking at this as a punishment/reward kind of situation, but there's probably more to it.

Samsonov hasn't been playing well overall. He's overhandling the puck, not shooting, not getting open. Sometimes skilled players try too hard. This is just a way for him to simplify his game. I wouldn't at all be surprised if he generates chances on the 4th just because he won't try to be fancy with his lunchpail linemates. Puck ----> net = rebound, scramble, deflection.

Latendresse has done fine so far in his limited role. He now brings a big body (and soft hands) to a line that's been all perimeter and non-physical. He too allows them to simplify their game, as Muller will probably tell him to stand in front of the net and screen the goalie, look for rebounds, deflections, etc.

It's been almost 10 games. It's time to try something a little different.

Agreed. but I still think there's some kind of message being passed if this is proven true.

1) This 2nd line has been hot and cold (mostly cold) all year. They are not helping each others out, making selfish plays, and they are not working each and every shift.

2) Lines 1 and 3 are playing very well and should not be altered.

3) Kovalev, even if he's been playing as disinterested as Samsonov, has probably a bit more rope considering his status on this team and past contribution. Samsonov doesn't have that luxury.

4) Plekanec has been working his *** off on that line. Demoting him to fix this line's production would send the wrong message IMO, considering the 2 wingers have done nothing but give half-assed efforts since the begining of the season.

5) Everybody thought Perezhogin would get the promotion, but truth is, he's complementing his line very well. Might as well shake things up with the 2 lines that are trailing so far, meaning lines 2 and 4.

6) I'm still waiting for a quote stating this change is official. All I've read so far is "according to what the journalists saw during practice". Things are tried during practice, doesn't mean a thing until it is confirmed by the coach. Maybe people are getting excited for nothing.

Munchausen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2006, 12:18 PM
Habitants

mahn you people need to relax, this is just a reporter observation from practice, i dont see a quote from carbo anywhere.

but if it happens, i would not be surprised. it is game #9 for lats, so we gotta see what he can do! he only has 3 shots so far. so stick him on the 2nd for the one game and see what happens. they might yet decide to send him down, and call up Lapiere of Kosty for the rest of the season...

the lines are not written in stone, if lats starts to play on the 2nd, and does bad, then sammy goes back. but if it were me, i would prefer the following
as kovalev has said, he is ready to play center. how about
Sammy Kovalev Lats
and then have pleks center the fourth with begin on the wing.

Habitants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2006, 12:23 PM
Montrealer

I think this is simply to give Latendresse a final fair test. If he's invisible most of the night, he'll be back in the juniors.

Honestly, he doesn't look like he's at the NHL level yet.

Montrealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2006, 12:23 PM
Habs_Apostle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Closet Habs Fan View Post
This move makes absolutely no sense. Latendresse has done nothing this season at all, besides consistently being one of our worst forwards. Demoting Samsonov, who has looked a lot better recently, against his former team makes it even worse.
The only thing I can figure is that this is Carbo's way of finding out if he really deserves to be up with the big club. That is, he's giving him a chance to show something by putting him with skilled players. Otherwise, I agree, I can't understand this move.

Habs_Apostle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2006, 12:25 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munchausen View Post
Agreed.

1) This 2nd line has been hot and cold (mostly cold) all year. They are not helping each others out, making selfish plays, and they are not working each and every shift.

2) Lines 1 and 3 are playing very well and should not be altered.

3) Kovalev, even if he's been playing as disinterested as Samsonov, has probably a bit more rope considering his status on this team and past contribution. Samsonov doesn't have that luxury.

4) Plekanec has been working his *** off on that line. Demoting him to fix this line's production would send the wrong message IMO, considering the 2 wingers have done nothing but give half-assed efforts since the begining of the season.

5) Everybody thought Perezhogin would get the promotion, but truth is, he's complementing his line very well. Might as well shake things up with the 2 lines that are trailing so far, meaning lines 2 and 4.

6) I'm still waiting for a quote stating this change is official. All I've read so far is "according to what the journalists saw during practice". Things are tried during practice, doesn't mean a thing until it is confirmed by the coach. Maybe people are getting excited for nothing.
While Perez needs a promotion 'cause he's been working hard and all, I believe, as strange as it may sounds that Pleks needs one as well. We've always been saying that he works his *** off, which is true, but are we going to see how he offensively could really be a great centerman for the first 2 lines? What if the only way to know right now would be to put him between Ryder and Higgs? At one point, you need to do some experiment to really evaluate your players, and unfortunately this is a waste of time for Pleks 'cause the chemistry is so not there, we still can't seem to know if he will one day be a great 2nd line centerman. Put Saks with Kovy and Perez, Sammy with Johnson and Bonk, and that way you'll have the possibility of promoting Perez and see himself if he will be able to finish one day, and put Sammy on a more hard working line with strong possibilities to score.

Again, I don't really agree with the fact to not touch the 1st and the 3rd 'cause it's working, it's just experiments anyway, you can come back to the old lines any day you want. But personally I really want to test Pleks and Perez, really tired of seeing them work hard but nothing on the scoresheet but then we still don't know what they really can do offensively.....

But again, I'm not suggesting that 'cause we're bad and all, only for the purposes of evaluating Pleks, Perez and have Sammy play with different people....

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2006, 12:25 PM
Quiet Robert

Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
Zuh? Our fourth line has yet to register a single point...and you're worrying about it "now" becoming useless? All they could do before was bang bodies. At least now they've got a potential scoring threat there in Samsonov.
No, you're misunderstanding the point line combos, especially if you think our 4th line was useless with Lats. They were an excellent fourth line. A good amount of grit and physicality.

Not every line is meant to score points. At least with Lats it was an effective energy line. In other words, they could bang bodies and create havoc. You say "all they could do was bang bodies" that was their job. Play smart defence and bring energy to the game, make it tough for the other guys facing them.

With Samsonov you have players that just don't fit. What is their role going to be? A player like Samsonov doesn't fit in (imo) with 4th line guys who will dump the puck and grind in the corners.

Quiet Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2006, 12:26 PM
suffocator

this post is bringing all the little girls out of their closet... bouhouhou poor Sammy bouhouhou

suffocator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2006, 12:29 PM
Quiet Robert

Quote:
Originally Posted by waffledave View Post
I think Lats could do well on the 2nd line if he's used properly...Basically stick his *** in the crease and have Kovalev bounce pucks off him like Ottawa used to do with Neil on the PP.

Samsonov on the 4th...That line was horrible defensively before...Now I just can't imagine!
Lats will eventually be a very good top 6 forward imo. But right now he's just focusing on staying in position and hitting. That's just not going to do much for a 2nd line trying to score.

I like your idea though, if he can keep it simple and just part himself in front of the net, maybe it will be effective.

Old
10-25-2006, 12:30 PM
znk

I like this decision. Something had to be done and hopefully without touching lines 1 and 3. I really want to see Lats in the same kind of role he played during the preseason especilay now that durring the last 2 games he slowly started playing with more confidence.
It's an experiment and I dont think Carbo will be verry patient with this idea if it dosent work out. But I did feel Samsonov was playing better durring the last 2 games.

Anyway it gives me something to look forward to for tomorrow's game. I'm really curious to see how Lats will react.

znk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2006, 12:31 PM

I might lose it if I read that Latendresse might or will be sent down to juniors again.

I really think I will.

417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2006, 12:33 PM
MathMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riel View Post
Perezhogin deserves the promotion, not Latendresse
If the Bonk line wasn't getting plenty of ice time, I would agree...

Thing is, at this point, I'm not sure moving him to the Plekanec line would count as a "promotion" for him.

MathMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2006, 12:34 PM
SOLR

I dont believe this is a test for lats.
The 2nd line have been working like crap since the start.

I totally agree with this decision.
Out a dangler from the 2nd line.
In a physical presence in front of the net for Kovy's shots.

Lets see what the kid can do, its still early in the season, perfect time for some experiences. Lats have been good in the offensive zone but lost elsewhere, playing with some talented forward might put the limelight on the real assets.

SOLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2006, 12:34 PM
AH

Typical overereaction in Hab land.

AH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2006, 12:36 PM
filfren

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montrealer View Post
I think this is simply to give Latendresse a final fair test. If he's invisible most of the night, he'll be back in the juniors.

Honestly, he doesn't look like he's at the NHL level yet.
I gotta agree with you, even if some other posters might loose it, I see this as his last chance to prove he deserves to be there...

But that's my opinion and I bring nothing new to the table so...

filfren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2006, 12:38 PM
nyhabsfan
Waiting for #25.....

My Two Cents

Hey guys,

First of all, relax... it's not like Carbo can't switch them back or try some other combination. What I am more concerned about is if Lats can keep up with Kovy and Plekanec.

Living in the USA I had not seen Lats play until the first regular season game. But reading the boards, you would have though he was the second coming of Cam Neely.

So far I've not been impressed, but the kid is just getting his feet wet, so let's give him a break.

I do remember that Plekanec and Johnson seemed to have some chemisty as well, so I hope they get a chance to play together as the season wears on.

Here is my line combos against the Bruins.

Higgins---Koivu----Ryder (you'd be insane to break them up)
Perezhogin---Plekanec ---Johnson (why not)
Samsanov ---Bonk----Kovalev
Lats---Begin---Murray

I know this is not what Carbo is going to do... but I'd like to see it for a few games.

nyhabsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2006, 12:41 PM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quiet Robert View Post
No, you're misunderstanding the point line combos, especially if you think our 4th line was useless with Lats. They were an excellent fourth line. A good amount of grit and physicality.

Not every line is meant to score points. At least with Lats it was an effective energy line. In other words, they could bang bodies and create havoc. You say "all they could do was bang bodies" that was their job. Play smart defence and bring energy to the game, make it tough for the other guys facing them.

With Samsonov you have players that just don't fit. What is their role going to be? A player like Samsonov doesn't fit in (imo) with 4th line guys who will dump the puck and grind in the corners.
I see what you're saying but I don't agree, I think Carbo is taking a page out of the Sabres' book and trying to roll four lines that can all be considered offensive threats. Or, at least, experimenting with it. As for the fourth line being an energy-only line, then what's the point of even having Lats on the team? Sure he's big and can throw hits, but he's better known for his scoring touch. If we really wanted to have an energy-only line, we could just put Downey on the fourth and send Lats back to junior. But it's pretty clear to me that Lats is staying the whole year and Carbo wants to try him in various capacities. No harm, no foul, I say.

hototogisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2006, 12:45 PM
HabsSlappy

Our lines should be:

Higgins-Koivu-Ryder
Samsonov-Kovalev-Kostitsyn
Perezhogin-Bonk-Latendresse
Begin-Plekanec-Johnson

Good mix on every line and every line should be able to produce. I agree with hototogisu, roll 4 lines that can all score and only give the top 2 lines a few extra minutes. just like the sabres do.

HabsSlappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2006, 12:47 PM
Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by DicAnn's73 View Post
i don't see this... maybe i need mor coffee...

or you're playing bad games with my mind...
You're correct. It seems it's my mind that's being screwed with . Looks likes the article actually changed since the first print (I had actually cut & pasted the quote from the RDS site!). Damn RDS... misinforming that this was from Carbo when it wasn't... at least they fixed the inaccuracies in the end.

I'm relieved the line change is still just an idea.

Turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2006, 12:50 PM
habsfan44

Quote:
Originally Posted by SerialSeb View Post
TRUE BUT A 3.5M FILLER.

Lats is a filler so is Kost or Grabs.

And the 4th line can be filled with Ferland or Lapierre.

We have fillers. IMO it seems Sammy is not need. Altough if he was to produce it would help but really we already have Kovalev with a similar style.

This would be much simpler if A) the 2nd line had produce od B) We didn't signed Sammy and tried one of the young guns.
would have been much simpler if they had sent latenderesse back to his junior team where he belongs .

habsfan44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2006, 12:54 PM
wade

here are a few thoughts:

maybe now the 4th line will stop being such a liability on the ice

has anyone else notice begin hasn't played so well with latendresse? I think he misses Bonk.

begin = speed, samsonov = speed, can this be a good combo? it sure

latendress stands in front of the net -> pleks dishes out puck from corner -> kovy shoots ... not a bad strat?

carbos unwillingness to shuffle lines 1 and 3 is making his options incredibly limited, maybe breaking up 1 and 3 will ignite 2 and 4

wade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2006, 12:56 PM
Quiet Robert

Quote:
I see what you're saying but I don't agree, I think Carbo is taking a page out of the Sabres' book and trying to roll four lines that can all be considered offensive threats.
That's a good point actually, I hadn't thought of that. What I like about the Sabres though, is that they have 3 balanced offensive lines and then 1 effective energy line. (Peters' line)

For us I don't know how this will work. I think Lats can be effective on the 2nd line if he plays it simple and just goes to the net. On the 4th I just doubt we'll see much offence, and we'll see less physicality. So we'll see, obviously our 1st and 3rd lines are effective lines and maybe this is what's needed to be able to roll 4 effective lines.

Quote:
Or, at least, experimenting with it. As for the fourth line being an energy-only line, then what's the point of even having Lats on the team? Sure he's big and can throw hits, but he's better known for his scoring touch.
This is also a good point, and one I've never been too sure of. Early in the year my idea was keep Lats, but only if he'll get solid mins, say 12+ and some PP time. I didn't like the idea of him just getting 8 mins on the 4th line.

However, I think it's good for him to start off small and learn how to play his position properly, how to backcheck, play physical etc...There were questions about his motivation in junior and I think playing with guys like Begin and Murray, who never quit, was (and still is) good for a young player like him.

Quote:
If we really wanted to have an energy-only line, we could just put Downey on the fourth and send Lats back to junior. But it's pretty clear to me that Lats is staying the whole year and Carbo wants to try him in various capacities. No harm, no foul, I say.
I still like the idea of inserting Downey in certain situations. There is a still a role for a guy who can fight. It would be great if we had a guy like Neil or Fedoruk, but those guys are rare right now so we'll just have to be content with Downey.

But again, I look at the Buffalo example. I like the way they've built their team. If we could get solid production out of 3 lines and then have a 4th for grit/toughness/energy whatever you want to call it, I'd prefer it to spreading ourselves all over. In this case I just think the 4th line lacks identity with Samsonov out there. I see them as killing 8-10 mins a game.

But you never know. It could work out for the best. Maybe Gui and Kovy end up having good chemistry. And I argued that Gui could benefit from playing with hard working guys, so there's no reason to think Sammy won't benefit from playing with those guys.

Old
10-25-2006, 12:58 PM
dagaka

Nice move by Carbo. Hopefully Lats scores his 1st goal

dagaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2006, 12:59 PM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Yeah, that's the thing - the Sabres have the right balance of players to pull it off successfully. Not sure about us yet, but you won't find out if you don't experiment. Anyway I'm looking forward to seeing what Lats can do on the second, it'll be a good test for him.

hototogisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2006, 01:12 PM
RC51

Quote:
Originally Posted by AH View Post
Typical overereaction in Hab land.
Your 100% right and I agree.
I see we both think that Latendresse IS ready to dominate in front of the net.
I agree with you 100% that Latendresse need some better ice time so he can settle in for when the Habs meet the Leafs and Tender can KICK SUNDIN ***.

Hab fans like you know just how great Tender is and we can't wait for the explosion into the NHL,s top ranks.

Hey I bet all those guys on the leaf board are hoping Latendresse is hurt for that game and can't KICK SUNDIN ***

RC51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2006, 01:13 PM
PERPETUALSMILEZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by !nkubus View Post
But we all know Carbo didn't liked Sammy at all since the start of the season, that's why i'm not surprised. It's a move to Kick Sammy's But and to give Latendresse more Icetime so he start to produce. I just see this move to shake both players not just Sammy. Latendresse played good but need the puck more often to produce.

Completely agree....maybe this is the kick in the but Sammy needs to get his head back into the game.

IMO it shouldn't really matter what line you are on.....you are paid to do a job....so do it. If I was paid millions to score goals be damn sure I'm gonna do everything in my power to score a damn goal.

As for Latandresse he's been lacking confidence in the first games....maybe this will give him that lil boost that he needs.

I don't think this change will be permanent I think everyone on this board has agreed that Kovalev and Samsanov needed to be on seperate lines....and now that they are everyone is in shock...Carbo and his people know what they're doing.....

This could be very interesting to watch....can't wait!

PERPETUALSMILEZ is offline   Reply With Quote