HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

It's Montoya time

Old
10-25-2006, 09:33 PM
Dagoon44

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Dagoon44 Send a message via Yahoo to Dagoon44
It's Montoya time

Guys your going to say i am nuts but Hank stinks this year. He looks more like Steve Weeks then the Gold medal winning goalie we had last year. He is swimming on his knees and back and giving up huge rebounds. I understand the defense sucks and is giving up a ton of chances but he isn't making big saves and if coach doesn't play Weekes cause he has no confidence in him bring up Montoya for 1-3 games and say kid show me what you got. The results could be

1. The defense tightens up and thats a good thing
2. Hank gets pissed off and finds his A game
3. Montoya wins a few and just adds to his trade value.

It is early but we are horrible.

Dagoon44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2006, 09:40 PM
jnyr

i didnt see the game tonight, but i must say that 4 goals again is pretty bad. now with all the talk of the defense struggling, i like to think henk is not the problem. but since it is early in the season, and hopefully one or two of the d will be gone soon (if the trade rumors are true), and id hate to see any of the big names moved (renney included) id be willing to see what happens.

i figure worst case scenario is that we lose a few games, but if the spark is to be found outside of the goaltending, at least our efforst wont be in vain...hopefully.

jnyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2006, 09:42 PM
EvilCorporateLawyer
Very slippery slope

Send a message via AIM to EvilCorporateLawyer
I don't know what you expect him to stop. Constant breakaways after giveaways, pucks batted in 3 feet off the ground, etc. etc.

The problem is not Henrik. He hasn't been the sharpest but he hasn't costed us the games. The problem is the defense.

EvilCorporateLawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2006, 09:42 PM
True Blue Bleed Blue

Now that is not happening. Let's just tighten up the D and play better and relax?

True Blue Bleed Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2006, 09:43 PM
nyr7andcounting

The problem isn't Henrik but I do agree giving Montoya a few games might help wake everyone up. The defense might play a little tighter and Lundqvist might feel the need to be a little sharper.

nyr7andcounting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2006, 09:45 PM
Levitate

Quote:
Originally Posted by True Blue Bleed Blue View Post
Now that is not happening. Let's just tighten up the D and play better and relax?
yeah, it's still early...but what's concerning is that players continue to make the same mistakes over and over. it's not even a matter of "well so and so just isn't a good defenseman" (yes i'm picking on the defensemen here), it's just that they continue to make stupid plays that even a borderline scrub defenseman won't make.

players need to be benched at this point.

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2006, 09:45 PM
Dagoon44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Prescription View Post
I don't know what you expect him to stop. Constant breakaways after giveaways, pucks batted in 3 feet off the ground, etc. etc.

The problem is not Henrik. He hasn't been the sharpest but he hasn't costed us the games. The problem is the defense.
The breakway and the out of the air goal i agree. But even the goal out of the air he is deep n the net on his knees. Watch almost every goal this season he is down and down early is all i am saying

Old
10-25-2006, 09:47 PM
Dagoon44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post
yeah, it's still early...but what's concerning is that players continue to make the same mistakes over and over. it's not even a matter of "well so and so just isn't a good defenseman" (yes i'm picking on the defensemen here), it's just that they continue to make stupid plays that even a borderline scrub defenseman won't make.

players need to be benched at this point.
Great post. Bench Rosie, Malik and anyone else they don't hit and passing up the clogged middle is lazy and stupid

Old
10-25-2006, 09:49 PM
Finest
Puck Fittsburg

Lundqvist isnt the problem, his only flaw is he has been good, not super human like he was last year. If he sits its most likley going to be against Pheonix, but Weekes not Montoya is going to be in net. The entire D is in need of a kick in the butt, not the goaltending. They (Lundqvist/Weekes) dont need amazing D, but they DO need smart,tight D. Last years D wasnt anything to write home about but they where smart! They knew what they couldnt and couldnt do. Thats the diffrence...

Finest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2006, 09:49 PM
Levitate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dagoon44 View Post
The breakway and the out of the air goal i agree. But even the goal out of the air he is deep n the net on his knees. Watch almost every goal this season he is down and down early is all i am saying
he needed to be deep in the net and basically on his knees to stop the initial shot. if he wasn't, he would have been out of position

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2006, 10:16 PM
Draft Guru

I think some people need to relax. Yes the team has been playing like crap but it's early. Everyone is ready to jump off a bridge and make drastic changes. If we win, there's 5 threads on how we're the best and we're gonna win the cup....when we lose it's trade this one, trade that one, bench this one, the ship is sinking, renney needs to go, etc etc etc.

The mood swings on here baffle me.

Draft Guru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2006, 10:16 PM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

Please God don't subject an impressionable innocent to a fate of playing behind our crappy lazy D, always give up a goal as soon as you get one, Lets give the game away team.

1. Henrik is not the problem

2. At least Henke and Weekes know that they are truely playing a losing battle with a SLOPPY team in front of them.

Al might get spooked and think he sucks when in fact, it is a handful of guys infront of him that are quite honestly sucking.

Lundqvist can play through this......at least for a while

10-25-2006, 10:21 PM
HockeyBasedNYC

Its funny how every thread turns into the same discussion. Boy does the Defense suck.

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2006, 10:23 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Does anyone think that Montoya is going to make a difference infront of this defense??!?!?

Our biggest problem is our defensive play... I'm not sure how changing goaltenders is going to addres this.... If anything, we call up Montoya and he gets lit up for a few games and his confidence drops....

If miraculously he plays well, what's going to happen? He's not going to stay up here... So really, what's the point?

wolfgaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2006, 10:26 PM
agentzzz

Lundqvist is not comfortable right now. You can see his lateral movements are choppy, he's playing on the goal line, he's over commiting and reacting slow. The thing that stood out to me most last years was how fluid he was in net, its not there now. It doesn't matter if the goals were unstoppable or if he let in ones that he should of stopped, the thing is to be consistant and he's not right now.

agentzzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2006, 10:30 PM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

Quote:
Originally Posted by agentzzz View Post
Lundqvist is not comfortable right now. You can see his lateral movements are choppy, he's playing on the goal line, he's over commiting and reacting slow. The thing that stood out to me most last years was how fluid he was in net, its not there now. It doesn't matter if the goals were unstoppable or if he let in ones that he should of stopped, the thing is to be consistant and he's not right now.

I don't know...he pretty much consistantly plays infront of a crappy defensive team

I Am Chariot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2006, 10:34 PM
EvilCorporateLawyer
Very slippery slope

Send a message via AIM to EvilCorporateLawyer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Draft Guru View Post
I think some people need to relax. Yes the team has been playing like crap but it's early. Everyone is ready to jump off a bridge and make drastic changes. If we win, there's 5 threads on how we're the best and we're gonna win the cup....when we lose it's trade this one, trade that one, bench this one, the ship is sinking, renney needs to go, etc etc etc.

There's no real mood swing on the trade so and so's.

We've been advocating the moving of Malik and Rozsival along with Nylander (on occasion) since last year.

EvilCorporateLawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2006, 10:43 PM
Edge

Well to be honest I don't Lundy looks very good at all right now, but Montoya's only going to fair marginally better at best right now.

Lundqvist has work to do, but at the end of the day this team would still be having some big struggles even if he was playing at his best.

The difference between this year and last year is that he's not playing to that level and covering it up.

The fact that the defense has looked this way is not nearly as shocking as some people seem to think. The big difference is that the era of people assuming nothing's wrong is over.

Lundqvist will get back to normal in time, though my confidence in this defense isn't quite as high.

Edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2006, 10:46 PM
Edge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Prescription View Post
There's no real mood swing on the trade so and so's.

We've been advocating the moving of Malik and Rozsival along with Nylander (on occasion) since last year.
I agree the only difference is that Jagr and Lundqvist aren't there to even give the opposition anything to really point to.

Last year I believe the people who felt this way were "out of their mind" for not taking some things at face value.

Unfortunatly this year we've seen just how good the defense is without Jagr and Lundqvist to bail them out. Part of me is very amused by some of the reactions though, while surprising for the extent of how bad the defensive lapses are not exactly NEW.

Edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2006, 11:10 PM
Shadowtron

Quote:

Isn't that the nature of the fan? The what have you done for me lately mentality. There may be a lot of armchair GM's here, but this is no board of govenor's meeting.

Shadowtron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2006, 11:14 PM
Draft Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowtron View Post
Isn't that the nature of the fan? The what have you done for me lately mentality. There may be a lot of armchair GM's here, but this is no board of govenor's meeting.
It is, yes, but I dunno, it just irritates me. Most of the time I dont even bother reading the board after a loss because I already know what to expect.

Draft Guru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2006, 11:15 PM
DutchShamrock

Riiiiight. It's Lundqvist's fault that Rosie turns the puck over giving the Panther a breakaway. Same with Rachunek's turnover, it's his fault a deflection is taken on his doorstep with the defenseman halfway up the rink. It's Henrik's fault a puck is batted out of midair from the slot area with no one creating any havok or pressure for the offense. I guess fans are so used to the mistakes of last year that they don't even see them anymore. It is now Henrik's responsibility to cover up the team's gaffs. Let's throw a rookie goalie into that situation and see how that turns out, ehh Salo?

DutchShamrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2006, 11:37 PM
klingsor
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:

I'm with you (for now), but if they're still playing with their heads up their butts 5 or 6 games from now, I'm gonna be VErY worried.

klingsor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2006, 11:47 PM
UAGoalieGuy

Blaming the Rangers struggles on Lundqvist is just plain wrong. Tonight for example, you cannot blame the goalie when the D gives the puck up right infront of your net and an opposing player breaks in on a semi-breakaway. It's a huge boost to the team when you do make that save and should do it more often than not, but the blame cannot be put on the goalie. Deflections off of skates and shinpads are another thing that goalies cannot help. Sh"t happens. In situations like that you can only place your body in the best possible position and hope it hits you after it deflects. It's almost impossible for any human being to react that fast to something like that. Then the goal where the puck fluttered in front of the net and the Panther batted it out of mid-air. Come on now. Thats just a pretty goal. Nothing a goalie could really do about that except, once again, put your body in the right spot and hope it hits you.

Yes Lundqvist isn't making all of those amazing saves he made last season. He's making some though. The difference between last season and this season is the amount of quality chances that the opposition is getting on him. The more of them there are, the most likely a couple will go in. If the D cuts back on those rediculous turnovers right infront of the net I assure you that the amount of goals scored against the Rangers go down. The D is clearly the reason why things have not gone so well so far this season, not Lundqvist.

UAGoalieGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2006, 11:50 PM
UAGoalieGuy

Quote:

The mood swings on here remind me of my gf when she's starting to get her...ya know... lol

UAGoalieGuy is offline   Reply With Quote