Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Phil Kessel

Old
10-26-2006, 12:03 AM
Iamthewalrus*

vCash: 500
Phil Kessel

Can you give me an update on Kessel? How's he look? I see he scored a goal and got some decent ice time, and is on the top line? Thanks

Iamthewalrus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2006, 12:30 AM
Captain Newcastle

A goal, couple assists.

Looks like he's on the verge but afraid to do anything. Personally think he coulda used some seasoning. But, that's probably why I'm not a GM. He'll do decently this year.

Captain Newcastle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2006, 01:24 AM
dafoomie
Eat Mor Chikin

Send a message via AIM to dafoomie
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImWhatsBruin View Post
A goal, couple assists.

Looks like he's on the verge but afraid to do anything. Personally think he coulda used some seasoning. But, that's probably why I'm not a GM. He'll do decently this year.
He's getting his seasoning now... It might be better for the Bruins if they had another top 6 forward in his place, but they don't. He's the best they can come up with.

There will be some growing pains, but he'll help this team more in the top 6 than a checking line forward could. I think he's handling it pretty well, he needs to improve his strength and adjust more to the wing position. He's no good on the boards, he gets outmuscled a lot, and he's not always in the right position. But, that'll improve over time. His ability more than makes up for it.

dafoomie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2006, 06:45 AM
Don Cherry*

He looks timid so far, like he's skating on eggshells. He's clearly afraid to get hit every time he steps on the ice. (Getting clobbered in the first or second game didn't help him any)

He obviously has the talent and he will likely develop into a good player. I just wish he was developing in the minors where he belongs.

Don Cherry* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2006, 07:11 AM
hckyguy14

Send a message via Yahoo to hckyguy14
He's been clobberd in every game thus far, but he gets up every time.

Last edited by hckyguy14: 10-26-2006 at 08:25 AM.
hckyguy14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2006, 08:22 AM
JoeIsAStud
HFBoards Sponsor

He has been much better than I would have expected. Sure he has had some challenges adjusting to the physical nature of the game, and I think his conditioning is not up to par, but the kid is explosive. Yes he only has the one goal, but he has been dynamite at times, and is generating 2-3 good scoring chances every game.

There have been several games where he was one of the Bruins 3 best forwards on the ice

JoeIsAStud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2006, 10:11 AM
PlayMakers
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeIsAStud View Post
He has been much better than I would have expected. Sure he has had some challenges adjusting to the physical nature of the game, and I think his conditioning is not up to par, but the kid is explosive. Yes he only has the one goal, but he has been dynamite at times, and is generating 2-3 good scoring chances every game.

There have been several games where he was one of the Bruins 3 best forwards on the ice
I second that. It seems like he gets 3 or 4 glittering opportunities every game. Now that he has his first, it feels like the flood gates could open. He's also improving in all 3 zones and has been very responsible defensively, particularly in the last couple games where he made some strong defensive plays on the backcheck. He's getting better along the boards too. To compensate for his obvious lack of strength he's now using his quick hands and feet to chip the puck along the boards and then jumps around the defender to try to regain control, much like Boyes and Savard do. Whereas before, he let the defender get on him and physically remove him from the play. He's going to be a heckuva player.

PlayMakers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2006, 11:25 AM
mattbnh

He really misses the dorm food from U Minnesota, is extremely homesick, is lonely without his pet iguana, forgot to bring his cheesehead when he left home, and is heartbroken that the Bruins only game vs the Minn Wild is in Boston.

Everybody here thinks the Bruins should have traded up for Backstrom instead of taking this loser, but those ******* Capitals were too chicken to trade.

If want him on your fantasy team, just take him, and don't come fishing here.
You can always trade him later if he doesn't pan out.

mattbnh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2006, 11:55 AM
Freedomov76

He's been VERY timid so far and seems like he's looking to dish the puck as soon as he can. BUT he's shown some AMAZING bursts of speed. If they can spring him some time...look out, he can fly. Hehe, they should just leave him hovering at the red line waiting for a clearance.

Freedomov76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2006, 12:08 PM
bastone

Maybe I was expecting too much from him,but so far he has not imoressed me that much.The good part is that he is only 18 and will only get better.he dropped to 5th overall and after watching Staal play in Pittsburgh I understand why.Staal is the real deal

bastone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2006, 01:02 PM
stick9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumbo_Joe_19 View Post
Maybe I was expecting too much from him,but so far he has not imoressed me that much.The good part is that he is only 18 and will only get better.he dropped to 5th overall and after watching Staal play in Pittsburgh I understand why.Staal is the real deal
Staal was the guy I wanted them to take and hoped he was there at #5.

stick9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2006, 02:03 PM
Jason010304

Quote:
Originally Posted by stick9 View Post
Staal was the guy I wanted them to take and hoped he was there at #5.
I think Kessel will be the "real deal"............ I would have taken Backstrom also

Jason010304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2006, 02:57 PM
ODAAT

From what I have seen, we have a very talented teenager who at times makes plays that you know in the very near future he will score on that he`s just missing. He works hard and as we all know, he has crazy wheels, but he is as mentioned a teenager, and he makes teenager mistakes, or just rookie mistakes in general, but he is alot more disciplined defensively than I thought he would be. He actually sometimes isn`t in the right place in the offensive zone. But if he gets frustrated and upset at his lack of points, he`s in trouble. If he stays patient and believes that his time will come, he`s going to be a ton of fun to watch, he`s not too far off being a solid and reliable scoring threat.

ODAAT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2006, 03:14 PM
stick9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason010304 View Post
I think Kessel will be the "real deal"............ I would have taken Backstrom also
When all is said and done I think so too.

stick9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2006, 07:30 PM
Mike B.

Kessel gets another one!

Forces a turnover and then gets to the net. He knows the game.

Mike B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2006, 08:00 PM
ngruz25

After one period of the Montreal game, Kessel's been the best Bruins player on the ice so far.

ngruz25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2006, 08:47 PM
Krejci Knows Techno
Playoffs *****

i love kessel, hes already good and i cry tears of joy when i think what hes gonna become... j/k but hes awsome

Krejci Knows Techno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2006, 08:52 PM
reidy
@reidjjackson

Send a message via AIM to reidy
All I know is, when PK has open space, he is almost impossible to stop. Imagine when he matures... :drool:

reidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2006, 08:54 PM
bastone

Let's hope Kessel gets going for the rest of the season after tonight.2 periods are gone and finally he his impressing me.

bastone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2006, 09:32 PM
EmptyNetter

I still laugh that they consistently make Kessel serve the penalty for too many men on the ice because he's not one of the penalty killers.

Then I cuss because we got called for too many men on the ice again. But Kessel looks very good. I knew he was fast but he's a great lateral skater, too. I keep thinking of him as Samsonov, if Samsonov finally learned to skate North-South.

EmptyNetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2006, 09:40 PM
primetime

Kessel was the best player on the ice tonight, on either side, besides maybe Chara.

Whoever the ref was had a pretty good game as well.

primetime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2006, 12:16 AM
Tommy Boy
2011 Cup Champs!!!

Send a message via AIM to Tommy Boy Send a message via MSN to Tommy Boy
I think once Kessel gets his feet under himself on the defensive end of things he could and SHOULD be used on the penalty kill...He is showing signs because of his speed at being a superb forechecker. But before that happens I think he needs to work more on his endurance and starts and stops.

Too many times I see him do something going full speed like on the forecheck or a rush and the puck gets a little behind him either by pass or poke and instead of the stop and start thats needed he loops around taking himself out of the play til his speed gets him back into things...In those situations he needs to be stopping on a dime and going the other way full speed. He also seems to run out of gas on a shift to easily but that will come in time with the adjustment to the NHL game. The only 2 things I think he needs work on I have read he is working on them. He NEEDS, and I can't stress this enough NEEDS to get stronger on his feet and his stick. He is pushed around way to easily. The stick thing is going to come just by weight room work and practice. His clear attempts and passes need to get stronger as they don't always seem to get to his desired destination or with not enough zip on them.

But I truly honestly Love what I am seeing from this kid so far. He is creating scoring chances consistantly and his defense is getting better and Lewis is gaining confidence in him as he was out on the ice with less than 5 minutes in the game tonight. If he keeps improving he is going to dominate in the years to come.

Tommy Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2006, 02:25 AM
goon
HFB Partner

Kessel looked really good tonight as he scored his second goal of the season.
I think he is here to stay in Boston.

goon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2006, 10:35 AM
TheRealness

Kessel was the best player on the ice for the Bruins for 2 periods, and then he basically gets subbed out for boyes for half of his shifts. Just disgusting. Lewis needs to recognize that Kessel was in teh zone and play the kid. In what little ice time he got in the 3rd, he burned the MOntreal defender (Where the **** was THAT call?) and was ready to walk in on Huet alone.

I have no problem rolling 3 lines, but if you are gonna do it, stick to it.

TheRealness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2006, 04:03 PM
The Zookeep

Glad to hear Kessels getting comfortable out there. Hopefully it keeps up.. I personally would like to see a line of Sturm (when he returns) Kessel, and Murray. Those 2 speedsters out there with a good power forward in Murray could be potent.

The Zookeep is offline   Reply With Quote