HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

MTL-WAS proposal

Closed Thread

Old
11-23-2003, 02:39 PM
Munchausen
Full Time A-hole

vCash: 500
MTL-WAS proposal

Would Washington consider trading Bondra and his 4.6M in a salary dump? I think the Habs could be interested in Grier + Bondra (I beleive he'll be a UFA soon but still could help offensively) for a 1st rounder + a Dman (to be determined) + a mid-level prospect (to be determined as well).

Of course, this is if Washington is looking to reduce payroll which I beleive they are considering they will likely tank the season anyway.

So I don't know, maybe a 1st + Rivet + Balej/Plekanec/Milroy

Or maybe a 1st + Hainsey, although this might be a bit expensive, especially considering Montreal would take on 5M, for just Grier and Bondra. Lang could also be of interest but in that case Brisebois would need to go the other way.

Anyway, it's open to discussions. Is there potential here or not?

Old
11-23-2003, 02:43 PM
Quagmier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munchausen
Would Washington consider trading Bondra and his 4.6M in a salary dump? I think the Habs could be interested in Grier + Bondra (I beleive he'll be a UFA soon but still could help offensively) for a 1st rounder + a Dman (to be determined) + a mid-level prospect (to be determined as well).

Of course, this is if Washington is looking to reduce payroll which I beleive they are considering they will likely tank the season anyway.

So I don't know, maybe a 1st + Rivet + Balej/Plekanec/Milroy

Or maybe a 1st + Hainsey, although this might be a bit expensive, especially considering Montreal would take on 5M, for just Grier and Bondra. Lang could also be of interest but in that case Brisebois would need to go the other way.

Anyway, it's open to discussions. Is there potential here or not?
We trade away a 1st, and i loose all respect for the Habs.

plain and simple

Old
11-23-2003, 03:05 PM
Munchausen
Full Time A-hole

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quagmier
We trade away a 1st, and i loose all respect for the Habs.

plain and simple
Why? Your 1st will likely take 2-3 years to develop and the Habs have been pilling up 1st rounders for years. The rebuilding is near the end and bringing in good veteran help (along with size and grit in this case) would help all the youngsters (Ribeiro, Hossa, Ryder, Perezhogin, Higgins, Kastsitsyn, Bulis, etc.) become all they can as fast as possible without the added pressure of carrying the team on their shoulders.

Getting Grier and Bondra with a deal centered around a 1st rounder is something I'd do without blinking.

Old
11-23-2003, 03:09 PM
Quagmier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munchausen
Why? Your 1st will likely take 2-3 years to develop and the Habs have been pilling up 1st rounders for years. The rebuilding is near the end and bringing in good veteran help (along with size and grit in this case) would help all the youngsters (Ribeiro, Hossa, Perezhogin, Higgins, Kastsitsyn, etc.) become all they can as fast as possible without the added pressure of carriing the team on their shoulders.

Getting Grier and Bondra on a deal centered around a 1st rounder is something I'd do without blinking.
our rebuilding is nowwhere near the end... the senators are done rebuilding, the lightning are almost done, the habs have 3-5 years left.

adding grier and Bondra adds payroll, not leadership for our prospects. Hossa looses his roster spot, and Grier is not a cornerstone of a franchise

don't get me wrong i would love to have both those players, but not at the expense of what could be the habs highest 1st since Terry frekin' Ryan. Plus Bondra doesn't want to live in Montreal

Old
11-23-2003, 03:54 PM
Munchausen
Full Time A-hole

Quote:
our rebuilding is nowwhere near the end... the senators are done rebuilding, the lightning are almost done, the habs have 3-5 years left..
That's not true. The players for the rebuilding might not make this team a Cup contender before that time, but they are all close to be NHL ready or are already in the NHL. How much other 1st round picks do you feel the Habs need to fit into their lineup for the rebuilding process to be complete? Kastsitsyn, Higgins, Plekanec, Ribeiro, Hainsey, Hossa, Komisarek, Markov, Bulis, Zednik, Perezhogin, Ryder, Ward, Souray and Koivu are the players that will for the most part form this team. There's only so much lines and D pairings a team can have...

Quote:
adding grier and Bondra adds payroll, not leadership for our prospects..
Grier adds a fair amount of leadership and character, while Bondra would help scoring wise. True the Habs would add payroll which is about the only way they can get players of this quality without giving too much in assets, but with all the veterans becoming UFAs at the end of the season, I don't think it's such a big deal.

Quote:
Hossa looses his roster spot,.
How can a LW lose his spot to two RW?

Quote:
and Grier is not a cornerstone of a franchise.
And?

Quote:
don't get me wrong i would love to have both those players, but not at the expense of what could be the habs highest 1st since Terry frekin' Ryan. .
I don't beleive Gainey will let this team sink like it did last year for one second. Around 10th pick is what the Habs should likely get.

Old
11-23-2003, 04:12 PM
Jeffrey

Send a message via MSN to Jeffrey
trading away our 1st pick is dumb !
the top 12 picks in 2004 is one of the best group ever ...
this proposal is brutal !

Old
11-23-2003, 04:17 PM
Psycho Papa Joe
Porkchop Hoser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kryoptix
this proposal is brutal !
Agreed. If the Habs ever put those assets on the block, I would expect younger, healthier bodies in return.

Old
11-23-2003, 04:17 PM
evman150*

Do not, I repeat, do NOT trade the first pick. That could be Ovechkin the way the Habs look these days.

Old
11-23-2003, 04:25 PM
Patty Roy

Quote:
Originally Posted by evman150
Do not, I repeat, do NOT trade the first pick. That could be Ovechkin the way the Habs look these days.
I kind of doubt that.

I would entertain offers for our 1st round pick, but like Psycho Joe, i would want something a little younger (although NHL ready) in return.

Old
11-23-2003, 04:37 PM
evman150*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patty Roy
I kind of doubt that.
I doubt it too. But this is NOT the year to be entertaining the thought of trading your first pick if you're a bottom half team.

Old
11-23-2003, 04:49 PM
Patty Roy

Quote:
I doubt it too. But this is NOT the year to be entertaining the thought of trading your first pick if you're a bottom half team.
Why because of Ovechkin, or the top 15 in general? I'm not all that familiar with this years draft crop yet (outside of Ovechkin), but i was under the impression that this years draft depth wasn't anything too special.

Old
11-23-2003, 05:15 PM
evman150*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patty Roy
Why because of Ovechkin, or the top 15 in general? I'm not all that familiar with this years draft crop yet (outside of Ovechkin), but i was under the impression that this years draft depth wasn't anything too special.
Mostly because of Ovechkin, but also because the top 10-15 in this draft are very good, or so I hear. After 10 or so, the quality falls off quite a bit.

Old
11-23-2003, 05:42 PM
Munchausen
Full Time A-hole

Quote:
There's no way the Habs finnish with a top-4 pick at the end of this year. This draft seems to be pretty top heavy and I would be shocked if the Habs were ending up picking lower than #10. In those circumstences, this pick is not anything different from what the team got in his last 5 years or so.

But however, maybe a 1st pick would be a bit pricey for Bondra and Grier, but if something else interesting (and a bit younger) was coming the other way, I'd still be willing to part with it.

Old
11-23-2003, 06:13 PM
gohabsgo2010

Send a message via AIM to gohabsgo2010
What about Marcel Hossa and Craig Rivet, along with a 2nd heading to Washington for Halpern and a d-man?

Old
11-23-2003, 06:22 PM
Munchausen
Full Time A-hole

Quote:
Originally Posted by jl.roberts
What about Marcel Hossa and Craig Rivet, along with a 2nd heading to Washington for Halpern and a d-man?
I beleive Washington wants to unload salary. This was the idea behind this proposal. Rivet is pretty expensive himself and Halpern only makes 1.5M. In that context, I'm not sure this would work. Plus the center position is pretty crowded anyway.

If the Habs were able to get Grier for Rivet (part of salary paid) and maybe a 2nd or mid-level prospect, I'd do that in a heart beat. I'm pretty high on Grier (one of the few very good assets the Caps have).

Old
11-23-2003, 06:38 PM
Traitor8

Wsh picks up 15 M (3 M per year for the next 5 yrs) on Jagr's contract.

Rivet+Audette
for
Jagr(at 8 M)

Old
11-24-2003, 02:09 AM
SabresRule

Send a message via MSN to SabresRule
im sure they would consider trading them, not grier, i doubt that.

Bondra for a top 2 dman. Solid rocksteady Dman.

Old
11-24-2003, 02:45 AM
tom_servo

Bondra makes $4 million and his career is winding down. I don't see why the Habs would be interested.

Closed Thread