HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Is this the fastest Oiler team ever?

Closed Thread

Old
11-23-2003, 04:31 PM
Oilers1*

vCash: 500
Is this the fastest Oiler team ever?

I don't know if I can remember an Oiler team, or maybe even any team, with so much speed at forward before. . .

I mean, Hemsky, Dvorak, Chimera, and Salmelainen all have elite speed. . . York, Horcoff, and Pisani are just a notch below. . .Isbister is a good skater for a big man and Smyth is above-average. Moreau, Torres and Laraque are probably the only mediocre-skating forwards on the roster.

Old
11-23-2003, 04:39 PM
dangerMcdanger

Moreau is a lot faster this year actually than I remember, and I'd say torres is above average skating as well.

Old
11-23-2003, 04:44 PM
oilswell

Its definitely a fast team. Whether its the fastest or not is not really important or much to brag about, but the number of serious speedsters is very notable and even the slow guys are pretty quick. They are definitely a team that isn't forced to trap because of mobility problems.

Oates will change all that, though!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laraque27
Isbister is a good skater for a big man
I've been impressed by that aspect of his game. I think also that big guys look slower and Isbister and even Laraque are pretty darned quick, although directional change is a challenge.

BTW, I think you misjudge Moreau. He's a very good skater and it seems better than Pisani to me.

Old
11-23-2003, 05:25 PM
The Rage

The forwards are fast, but the defense seems pretty slow.

Old
11-23-2003, 08:32 PM
Cerebral

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilswell
I've been impressed by that aspect of his game.
Izzy has been doing a great job of streaking down the wing and getting to the net the last few games.. all he has to do is start finishing his moves! He's looked great on a few rushes and just has to pull the puck back to his forehand while fighting off the d-man rather than settling for the backhand flip..

Old
11-23-2003, 09:12 PM
Allan

Why won't they play him on the right side? If he was coming in the other way when he charges the net like that, he would already be on the forehand, and while that makes it a bit harder to get fancy, it makes getting a hard shot to create a rebound much easier.

Old
11-23-2003, 09:34 PM
kraigus

Send a message via ICQ to kraigus Send a message via MSN to kraigus
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolguy3650
The forwards are fast, but the defense seems pretty slow.
Brewer and Bergeron are pretty slow? Don't think so. Smith and Staios are at least average, Cross and Fergie... well, ok, gotta give you those two. Semenov is probably average too.

Actually, Brewer is one of the smoother skaters on the team, I think.

Old
11-23-2003, 09:38 PM
momentai

Quote:
Originally Posted by kraigus
Actually, Brewer is one of the smoother skaters on the team, I think.
Smooth does not necessarily equal fast. Brewer is a little above average in terms of speed. He just doesn't have the top end speed that defines guys like Dvorak, Chimera, and Salmo.

Our defense corp as a whole is a little on the slow side. When you have 4 guys that are average to below average... I don't see any reason why our defensive corp can't be called a little slow... (Cross and Ferguson hurt us exceptionally in this department )

Old
11-23-2003, 09:49 PM
The Rage

I think we can all agree, our forwards make our defense look pretty slow, even if the defensemen are actually above average speed.

Old
11-23-2003, 11:02 PM
dawgbone

Send a message via ICQ to dawgbone Send a message via MSN to dawgbone
Quote:
Originally Posted by oilswell
Oates will change all that, though!
Not necessarily... the puck moves faster than anyone can skate, and I don't think that there is a better passer in the NHL...

Old
11-24-2003, 04:13 AM
kraigus

Send a message via ICQ to kraigus Send a message via MSN to kraigus
Quote:
Originally Posted by momentai
Smooth does not necessarily equal fast. Brewer is a little above average in terms of speed. He just doesn't have the top end speed that defines guys like Dvorak, Chimera, and Salmo.

Our defense corp as a whole is a little on the slow side. When you have 4 guys that are average to below average... I don't see any reason why our defensive corp can't be called a little slow... (Cross and Ferguson hurt us exceptionally in this department )
I look at it this way... 1/3 are above average, 1/3 are average, 1/3 are below average (and those guys who are below average tend to make up for it with excellent positioning, Cross in particular). That doesn't suck.

(although, yes, the forwards make the D look slow, but watch them try to skate backwards some time... and yes, smooth does not necessarily equal fast, but I think Brew is deceptively fast, he's got the big guy problem of doesn't look like he's working very hard when he skates. When he winds up the middle though, he's pretty good - not Dvorak, as you say, but few are.)

Old
11-25-2003, 11:26 AM
oilswell

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgbone
Not necessarily... the puck moves faster than anyone can skate, and I don't think that there is a better passer in the NHL...
Sure, but you're confusing skating speed and puck speed, and skating speed was the topic of the thread even though it wasn't spelled out as such. Otherwise why bother listing Chimera...the guy never passes (he's had only ONE pro season where he's had more assists than goals)?

Closed Thread