HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

OT: the term "STUD"

Old
10-26-2006, 05:36 PM
Ghost of Saku

vCash: 500
OT: the term "STUD"

Does it have a special meaning on this board that I still haven't grasped, or does it just mean what I figure it means and if so, how does that relate to hockey players?

I've always considered myself a stud but now i'm confused

Ghost of Saku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2006, 05:38 PM
tritone

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr_sanch View Post
Does it have a special meaning on this board that I still haven't grasped, or does it just mean what I figure it means and if so, how does that relate to hockey players?

I've always considered myself a stud but now i'm confused

I have no idea who started calling certain players STUDS but I always felt it had a strong homosexual connotation to it
I just can't see myself ever saying that about another man

tritone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2006, 05:39 PM
Ghost of Saku

Quote:
Originally Posted by tritone View Post
I have no idea who started calling certain players STUDS but I always felt it had a strong homosexual connotation to it
I just can't see myself ever saying that about another man
I'm comforted by the fact i'm not alone in this, but not comforted by the fact that i'm conforted by another man

Old
10-26-2006, 05:44 PM
tritone

Quote:
I'm comforted by the fact i'm not alone in this, but not comforted by the fact that i'm conforted by another man
Take comfort in the fact that you are uncomforted by being comforted by another man, it's a comfortable way to comfort yourself about it

tritone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2006, 05:46 PM
Guy Caballero

The original term relates to horses. Only the strongest and fastest were "put out to stud" by the owners. The best NHLers are often the strongest and fastest, and that's why the metaphor is apt in this case.

Therefore, using the word "stud" isn't gay. However, worrying that using the word stud makes you seem gay is itself kinda gay.

Guy Caballero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2006, 05:49 PM
Ghost of Saku

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Caballero View Post
The original term relates to horses. Only the strongest and fastest were "put out to stud" by the owners. The best NHLers are often the strongest and fastest, and that's why the metaphor is apt in this case.

Therefore, using the word "stud" isn't gay. However, worrying that using the word stud makes you seem gay is itself kinda gay.
don't you understand? I'm worried about being comforted by another man or something.. anwyays, thanks

Old
10-26-2006, 05:49 PM
Quiet Robert

Quote:
Originally Posted by tritone View Post
Take comfort in the fact that you are uncomforted by being comforted by another man, it's a comfortable way to comfort yourself about it
I'm uncomfortable in your being comfortable in comforting an uncomfortable man who is uncomfortable for being comforted by another comfortable man, it's not a good way to comfort others.

Quiet Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2006, 05:54 PM
All-Star

You guys are disturbingly reading way too much into this.

You don't breed horses because of their sexual prowess. You breed horses because they have attributes that make them better/healthier than their soon to be castrated counterparts.

The same can be applied to hockey players. A stud defenseman has hockey attributes that sets him apart from his soon to be retired counterparts...

Edit: Dammit Guy!

All-Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2006, 05:58 PM
All-Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quiet Robert View Post
I'm uncomfortable in your being comfortable in comforting an uncomfortable man who is uncomfortable for being comforted by another comfortable man, it's not a good way to comfort others.
Reading your post made me uncomfortable.

All-Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2006, 06:11 PM
Transported Upstater

If you look up "Stud" in the dictionary, it says "Refer to 'the n00b king'."

Transported Upstater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2006, 06:13 PM
Much Love

Chris Higgins is the epitome of a STUD because not only is he an exceptional player but he is also "easy on the eyes" as they say.

No h0m0.

Much Love is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2006, 06:16 PM
DicAnns

Quote:
I've always considered myself a stud
nice quote there!

DicAnns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2006, 07:06 PM
Anksun

Send a message via ICQ to Anksun
Quote:
Originally Posted by Much Love View Post
Chris Higgins is the epitome of a STUD because not only is he an exceptional player but he is also "easy on the eyes" as they say.

No h0m0.
you're a stud ?

Anksun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2006, 08:51 PM
Ghost of Saku

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anksun View Post
you're a stud ?

He forgot the comma. It was supposed to read:

No, Homo.

Old
10-26-2006, 11:16 PM
GoneAway

vCash:
Its simple...

Stud=Lord Chezz

end of thread

Old
10-26-2006, 11:28 PM
Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Chezz View Post
Its simple...

Stud=Lord Chezz

end of thread
Damn, you're a horse? I never knew...

Turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2006, 11:31 PM
GoneAway

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo View Post
Damn, you're a horse? I never knew...
Only parts of me

Old
10-26-2006, 11:33 PM
Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Chezz View Post
Only parts of me
Now that's probably going to make some people uncomfortable.

Turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2006, 11:34 PM
Psycho Papa Joe
Porkchop Hoser

I read a post that referred to Perezhogin as a stud

Psycho Papa Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2006, 11:39 PM
GoneAway

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo View Post
Now that's probably going to make some people uncomfortable.
But I was talking about my teeth

Old
10-27-2006, 12:05 AM
White Snake*

If stud refers to horses the Ryan Smyth is definetely a stud. He has the horse hair and everything.

White Snake* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2006, 12:26 AM
JF

Picture Pierre Dagenais, but without his incredible raw animal charisma...

JF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2006, 12:33 AM
lilooet*

I'm not really sure where to begin.

Yes, it's true, the original definition for "stud", as best I know, referred to stud horses, as pointed out above. Such horses, however, were not renowned for their strength and speed, and "put out" to breed, as mentioned above; but were remarkable for the tiny "stud-like" calluses or bumps that had formed on their (male) genitalia, and which stretched from base to head in an irregular, though not unlovely, pattern. Such "studs" as they came to be known, turned out to help the ovulating (and gratefully receiving) mares become more relaxed and responsive during the previously painful and unsatisfying annual session of equine copulatory union (ECU). AS the mares became more relaxed, breeders noticed a strength of "character" (and not in size and strength as is commonly assumed) in the young offspring.

It then followed, through degenerative semantic progression [?] that all male breeding horses came to be known as "studs" - though this clearly cannot be the case, due to the severe infrequency of such a magnificent penile disorder.

The term (the mistaken one) was then passed on to the populace at large and in general to refer to a male who had conquered sexually, several females of the same species in a relatively short time span. Examples from fiction would be Eric Estrada on CHiPs, Larry from Three's Company as well as Tony Danza, playing the character "Tony" (choose your series).

In hockey however, and this is where I'd like to make a point, the term should soley refer to stamina, and has very little to do with abnormal penile qualities (except in the case of Brent Sopel). Also, it should be only used when referring to Defensemen - see Pierre McGuire's Handbook For Gentlemanly Discourse.

When, for instance, Glen Healey recently referred to Matt Stajan as a "grade A, plum-butted, money-down stud", he was more than likely referring to young Matt's ability to make female horses relax and ovulate freely than to his ability to stay on the ice for more than 16 minutes per game.

lilooet* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2006, 07:54 AM
AD

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilooet View Post
I'm not really sure where to begin.

Yes, it's true, the original definition for "stud", as best I know, referred to stud horses, as pointed out above. Such horses, however, were not renowned for their strength and speed, and "put out" to breed, as mentioned above; but were remarkable for the tiny "stud-like" calluses or bumps that had formed on their (male) genitalia, and which stretched from base to head in an irregular, though not unlovely, pattern. Such "studs" as they came to be known, turned out to help the ovulating (and gratefully receiving) mares become more relaxed and responsive during the previously painful and unsatisfying annual session of equine copulatory union (ECU). AS the mares became more relaxed, breeders noticed a strength of "character" (and not in size and strength as is commonly assumed) in the young offspring.

It then followed, through degenerative semantic progression [?] that all male breeding horses came to be known as "studs" - though this clearly cannot be the case, due to the severe infrequency of such a magnificent penile disorder.

The term (the mistaken one) was then passed on to the populace at large and in general to refer to a male who had conquered sexually, several females of the same species in a relatively short time span. Examples from fiction would be Eric Estrada on CHiPs, Larry from Three's Company as well as Tony Danza, playing the character "Tony" (choose your series).

In hockey however, and this is where I'd like to make a point, the term should soley refer to stamina, and has very little to do with abnormal penile qualities (except in the case of Brent Sopel). Also, it should be only used when referring to Defensemen - see Pierre McGuire's Handbook For Gentlemanly Discourse.

When, for instance, Glen Healey recently referred to Matt Stajan as a "grade A, plum-butted, money-down stud", he was more than likely referring to young Matt's ability to make female horses relax and ovulate freely than to his ability to stay on the ice for more than 16 minutes per game.
This rocked my world.

You stud, you!

AD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2006, 08:16 AM
Artie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psycho Papa Joe View Post
I read a post that referred to Perezhogin as a stud
No you read that Peroghie is a SPUD

Artie is offline   Reply With Quote