HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

OT: the term "STUD"

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
10-26-2006, 05:36 PM
  #1
Ghost of Saku
Registered User
 
Ghost of Saku's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,316
vCash: 500
OT: the term "STUD"

Does it have a special meaning on this board that I still haven't grasped, or does it just mean what I figure it means and if so, how does that relate to hockey players?

I've always considered myself a stud but now i'm confused


Ghost of Saku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2006, 05:38 PM
  #2
tritone
Registered User
 
tritone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Laval
Posts: 4,976
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dr_sanch View Post
Does it have a special meaning on this board that I still haven't grasped, or does it just mean what I figure it means and if so, how does that relate to hockey players?

I've always considered myself a stud but now i'm confused

I have no idea who started calling certain players STUDS but I always felt it had a strong homosexual connotation to it
I just can't see myself ever saying that about another man

tritone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2006, 05:39 PM
  #3
Ghost of Saku
Registered User
 
Ghost of Saku's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,316
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by tritone View Post
I have no idea who started calling certain players STUDS but I always felt it had a strong homosexual connotation to it
I just can't see myself ever saying that about another man
I'm comforted by the fact i'm not alone in this, but not comforted by the fact that i'm conforted by another man

Ghost of Saku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2006, 05:44 PM
  #4
tritone
Registered User
 
tritone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Laval
Posts: 4,976
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dr_sanch View Post
I'm comforted by the fact i'm not alone in this, but not comforted by the fact that i'm conforted by another man
Take comfort in the fact that you are uncomforted by being comforted by another man, it's a comfortable way to comfort yourself about it

tritone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2006, 05:46 PM
  #5
Guy Caballero
Registered User
 
Guy Caballero's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,857
vCash: 500
The original term relates to horses. Only the strongest and fastest were "put out to stud" by the owners. The best NHLers are often the strongest and fastest, and that's why the metaphor is apt in this case.

Therefore, using the word "stud" isn't gay. However, worrying that using the word stud makes you seem gay is itself kinda gay.

Guy Caballero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2006, 05:49 PM
  #6
Ghost of Saku
Registered User
 
Ghost of Saku's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,316
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Caballero View Post
The original term relates to horses. Only the strongest and fastest were "put out to stud" by the owners. The best NHLers are often the strongest and fastest, and that's why the metaphor is apt in this case.

Therefore, using the word "stud" isn't gay. However, worrying that using the word stud makes you seem gay is itself kinda gay.
don't you understand? I'm worried about being comforted by another man or something.. anwyays, thanks

Ghost of Saku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2006, 05:49 PM
  #7
Quiet Robert
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 5,261
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by tritone View Post
Take comfort in the fact that you are uncomforted by being comforted by another man, it's a comfortable way to comfort yourself about it
I'm uncomfortable in your being comfortable in comforting an uncomfortable man who is uncomfortable for being comforted by another comfortable man, it's not a good way to comfort others.

Quiet Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2006, 05:54 PM
  #8
All-Star
Registered User
 
All-Star's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Snake Mountain
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,430
vCash: 500
You guys are disturbingly reading way too much into this.

You don't breed horses because of their sexual prowess. You breed horses because they have attributes that make them better/healthier than their soon to be castrated counterparts.

The same can be applied to hockey players. A stud defenseman has hockey attributes that sets him apart from his soon to be retired counterparts...

Edit: Dammit Guy!

All-Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2006, 05:58 PM
  #9
All-Star
Registered User
 
All-Star's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Snake Mountain
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,430
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quiet Robert View Post
I'm uncomfortable in your being comfortable in comforting an uncomfortable man who is uncomfortable for being comforted by another comfortable man, it's not a good way to comfort others.
Reading your post made me uncomfortable.

All-Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2006, 06:11 PM
  #10
Transported Upstater
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Take care, all. :)
Country: United States
Posts: 22,981
vCash: 500
If you look up "Stud" in the dictionary, it says "Refer to 'the n00b king'."

Transported Upstater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2006, 06:13 PM
  #11
Much Love
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 153
vCash: 500
Chris Higgins is the epitome of a STUD because not only is he an exceptional player but he is also "easy on the eyes" as they say.

No h0m0.

Much Love is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2006, 06:16 PM
  #12
DicAnns
Registered User
 
DicAnns's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,008
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dr_sanch View Post
I've always considered myself a stud
nice quote there!

DicAnns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2006, 07:06 PM
  #13
Anksun
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Montreal
Posts: 3,571
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to Anksun
Quote:
Originally Posted by Much Love View Post
Chris Higgins is the epitome of a STUD because not only is he an exceptional player but he is also "easy on the eyes" as they say.

No h0m0.
you're a stud ?


Anksun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2006, 08:51 PM
  #14
Ghost of Saku
Registered User
 
Ghost of Saku's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,316
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anksun View Post
you're a stud ?

He forgot the comma. It was supposed to read:

No, Homo.


Ghost of Saku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2006, 11:16 PM
  #15
GoneAway
Guest
 
Country:
Posts: n/a
vCash:
Its simple...


Stud=Lord Chezz


end of thread

  Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2006, 11:28 PM
  #16
Turbo
Registered User
 
Turbo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Greys section 325
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,198
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Chezz View Post
Its simple...


Stud=Lord Chezz


end of thread
Damn, you're a horse? I never knew...

Turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2006, 11:31 PM
  #17
GoneAway
Guest
 
Country:
Posts: n/a
vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo View Post
Damn, you're a horse? I never knew...
Only parts of me

  Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2006, 11:33 PM
  #18
Turbo
Registered User
 
Turbo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Greys section 325
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,198
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Chezz View Post
Only parts of me
Now that's probably going to make some people uncomfortable.

Turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2006, 11:34 PM
  #19
Psycho Papa Joe
Porkchop Hoser
 
Psycho Papa Joe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Cesspool, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 23,351
vCash: 500
I read a post that referred to Perezhogin as a stud

Psycho Papa Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2006, 11:39 PM
  #20
GoneAway
Guest
 
Country:
Posts: n/a
vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo View Post
Now that's probably going to make some people uncomfortable.
But I was talking about my teeth

  Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2006, 12:05 AM
  #21
White Snake*
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 267
vCash: 500
If stud refers to horses the Ryan Smyth is definetely a stud. He has the horse hair and everything.

White Snake* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2006, 12:26 AM
  #22
JF
Registered User
 
JF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Montreal
Posts: 760
vCash: 500
Picture Pierre Dagenais, but without his incredible raw animal charisma...

JF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2006, 12:33 AM
  #23
lilooet*
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 579
vCash: 500
I'm not really sure where to begin.

Yes, it's true, the original definition for "stud", as best I know, referred to stud horses, as pointed out above. Such horses, however, were not renowned for their strength and speed, and "put out" to breed, as mentioned above; but were remarkable for the tiny "stud-like" calluses or bumps that had formed on their (male) genitalia, and which stretched from base to head in an irregular, though not unlovely, pattern. Such "studs" as they came to be known, turned out to help the ovulating (and gratefully receiving) mares become more relaxed and responsive during the previously painful and unsatisfying annual session of equine copulatory union (ECU). AS the mares became more relaxed, breeders noticed a strength of "character" (and not in size and strength as is commonly assumed) in the young offspring.

It then followed, through degenerative semantic progression [?] that all male breeding horses came to be known as "studs" - though this clearly cannot be the case, due to the severe infrequency of such a magnificent penile disorder.

The term (the mistaken one) was then passed on to the populace at large and in general to refer to a male who had conquered sexually, several females of the same species in a relatively short time span. Examples from fiction would be Eric Estrada on CHiPs, Larry from Three's Company as well as Tony Danza, playing the character "Tony" (choose your series).

In hockey however, and this is where I'd like to make a point, the term should soley refer to stamina, and has very little to do with abnormal penile qualities (except in the case of Brent Sopel). Also, it should be only used when referring to Defensemen - see Pierre McGuire's Handbook For Gentlemanly Discourse.

When, for instance, Glen Healey recently referred to Matt Stajan as a "grade A, plum-butted, money-down stud", he was more than likely referring to young Matt's ability to make female horses relax and ovulate freely than to his ability to stay on the ice for more than 16 minutes per game.

lilooet* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2006, 07:54 AM
  #24
AD
Registered User
 
AD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Bigassofficetower
Country: Lebanon
Posts: 14,576
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilooet View Post
I'm not really sure where to begin.

Yes, it's true, the original definition for "stud", as best I know, referred to stud horses, as pointed out above. Such horses, however, were not renowned for their strength and speed, and "put out" to breed, as mentioned above; but were remarkable for the tiny "stud-like" calluses or bumps that had formed on their (male) genitalia, and which stretched from base to head in an irregular, though not unlovely, pattern. Such "studs" as they came to be known, turned out to help the ovulating (and gratefully receiving) mares become more relaxed and responsive during the previously painful and unsatisfying annual session of equine copulatory union (ECU). AS the mares became more relaxed, breeders noticed a strength of "character" (and not in size and strength as is commonly assumed) in the young offspring.

It then followed, through degenerative semantic progression [?] that all male breeding horses came to be known as "studs" - though this clearly cannot be the case, due to the severe infrequency of such a magnificent penile disorder.

The term (the mistaken one) was then passed on to the populace at large and in general to refer to a male who had conquered sexually, several females of the same species in a relatively short time span. Examples from fiction would be Eric Estrada on CHiPs, Larry from Three's Company as well as Tony Danza, playing the character "Tony" (choose your series).

In hockey however, and this is where I'd like to make a point, the term should soley refer to stamina, and has very little to do with abnormal penile qualities (except in the case of Brent Sopel). Also, it should be only used when referring to Defensemen - see Pierre McGuire's Handbook For Gentlemanly Discourse.

When, for instance, Glen Healey recently referred to Matt Stajan as a "grade A, plum-butted, money-down stud", he was more than likely referring to young Matt's ability to make female horses relax and ovulate freely than to his ability to stay on the ice for more than 16 minutes per game.
This rocked my world.


You stud, you!

AD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2006, 08:16 AM
  #25
Artie
Registered User
 
Artie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Montreal, Que
Country: Italy
Posts: 4,101
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psycho Papa Joe View Post
I read a post that referred to Perezhogin as a stud
No you read that Peroghie is a SPUD

Artie is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:02 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.