Notices

Jeff Friesen

Old
11-27-2006, 05:53 PM
Future_KLM_Pilot*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by abracanada View Post
Now tell me, who would you put on the third line rather than Friesen?
That's easy.. Eric Nystrom or Brandon Prust. At least they'd crash and bang and make themselves noticed on the ice. Jeff Friesen I hardly ever notice out there.

Future_KLM_Pilot* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2006, 10:31 PM
abracanada

Quote:
Originally Posted by icbites View Post
That's easy.. Eric Nystrom or Brandon Prust. At least they'd crash and bang and make themselves noticed on the ice. Jeff Friesen I hardly ever notice out there.
Well, Friesen is here and you want him to score more. Which of Tanguay or Huselius goes to the third line? No matter who goes, you will effect their offensive game because of the ice time. What is it you have against depth?

abracanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2006, 11:21 PM
Future_KLM_Pilot*

Jeff Friesen was given top-six minutes earlier in the season (with Lombardi and Kobasew) and did nothing with it. I just want the guy gone. Waive him, trade him, release him, I don't care. Just get rid of him. He's eating up too much cap space to deserve being on this hockey team.

Old
11-28-2006, 01:59 PM
chriss_co

Quote:
Jeff Friesen was given top-six minutes earlier in the season (with Lombardi and Kobasew) and did nothing with it. I just want the guy gone. Waive him, trade him, release him, I don't care. Just get rid of him. He's eating up too much cap space to deserve being on this hockey team.
i hope you remember this post when friesen's contribution in the playoffs push us into the next round

chriss_co is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2006, 04:15 PM
Roughneck

Send a message via MSN to Roughneck
Quote:
And why wouldn't either of them replace McCarty, who has been overwhelmingly less impressive this year than Friesen.

And please tell me which team will take Friesen off our hands? What team could possibly want the worst player in the league making 1.6M? We'd obviously have to give something else up, like a mid-round draft pick. But it isn't all that smart to trade away an extra asset to get rid of a player on the last month of his contract when your team has no shot at the playoffs. Its just downright silly.

Roughneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2006, 09:36 PM
PapaBear*

if theres one guy you dump its McCarty. Put Prust over him. Friesens value comes in the playoffs when you go through injuries and his solid 2 way play really shines (like he did with the Ducks last yr and in the devils cup runs)

PapaBear* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2006, 09:46 PM
Future_KLM_Pilot*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roughneck View Post
But it isn't all that smart to trade away an extra asset to get rid of a player on the last month of his contract when your team has no shot at the playoffs.
Are you implying something there? Looks like I'm not the only one who doesn't think the Flames will make the playoffs this year.

Old
11-29-2006, 11:06 PM
Roughneck

Send a message via MSN to Roughneck
Quote:
Are you implying something there? Looks like I'm not the only one who doesn't think the Flames will make the playoffs this year.
And you're also the second person in the thread who can't detect sarcasm.

Roughneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2006, 11:10 PM
natural420*

Quote:
since when do division winners miss the playoffs???

(little future telling there.)

quote me on that

natural420* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2006, 11:45 AM
Cactus Jack

Send a message via MSN to Cactus Jack
Friesen just blows. He's grossly below average in everything but skating, and does nothing well. Why can't this guy flourish in a speed league? That's what I anticipated he'd do this year, as I thought he'd be happy to be out of Washington after the year he had, but I guess he and not that organization is the reason he had that kind of year. Yes, he's quick and competent defensively, but he doesn't fit, rarely doesn't penalty kill as much as I thought he would, and he provides no offense.

He's on pace for a whopping 80 games - 0 goals - 4 assists this year. I think the person that previously in this thread said he only averages a shot a game was bang on - a very telling stat. Thank God he's only signed for one year, and maybe we can pawn him off soon.

The bottom lines needs work: keep Nilson, Yelle, and Amonte, and one of either Mccarty or Ritchie for depth. Lundmark is borderline and may turn into a decent checking centre like Reasoner, but Friesen and one of McCarty/Ritchie must go. That's over two million in wasted salary (and don't get me started on Zyuzin either). Come on Sutter, do what you do best and add the pluggers we need to take this team to another level!

Cactus Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2006, 11:43 PM
Lunatik*

well with all the bashing of Friesen i want to point out something positive... even if not on the score sheet... it was pointed out in the telecast as well... on the empty net goal Friesen shook his head to iggy to tell him not to pass him the puck... he sacrificed his first goal as a flame to get jarome closer to that 300 goal milestone

at the very least he is a good team presence and he isnt a liability... until he is costing us games maybe we should quit complaining

Lunatik* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2006, 11:52 PM
Jared Ramsden
Hockey's Future Staff

Send a message via AIM to Jared Ramsden Send a message via MSN to Jared Ramsden Send a message via Yahoo to Jared Ramsden
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunatik View Post
well with all the bashing of Friesen i want to point out something positive... even if not on the score sheet... it was pointed out in the telecast as well... on the empty net goal Friesen shook his head to iggy to tell him not to pass him the puck... he sacrificed his first goal as a flame to get jarome closer to that 300 goal milestone

at the very least he is a good team presence and he isnt a liability... until he is costing us games maybe we should quit complaining
That's the most important thing, but I'm still trying to figure why Sutter gave him so much money in the first place. After a year like he had, I would have expected maybe 500,000/one year deal or something to that effect. If he wasn't making so much money, I don't think people would be complaining about him as much.

2011-12: The start of a new making the playoffs streak!

Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/CalDevil3219
Jared Ramsden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2006, 11:57 PM
Lunatik*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jared Ramsden View Post
That's the most important thing, but I'm still trying to figure why Sutter gave him so much money in the first place. After a year like he had, I would have expected maybe 500,000/one year deal or something to that effect. If he wasn't making so much money, I don't think people would be complaining about him as much.
i dont get the money either... nor am i going to pretend i do...

but i will speculate... he can play in all situations... he is obviously a good team guy... and let's face it no one expected him to produce as poorly as last season... he brings a wealth of playoff experience

and let's face it if anyone is going to overpay for intagibles it's Sutter because they mean so much to him

Old
12-07-2006, 11:37 PM
Future_KLM_Pilot*

Quote:
he sacrificed his first goal as a flame to get jarome closer to that 300 goal milestone
I would've rather he just shot. Iggy doesn't need help scoring, Freezy does!

Who knows, maybe it would have helped him break out.

Last edited by Future_KLM_Pilot*: 12-08-2006 at 12:37 AM.
Old
12-08-2006, 10:05 AM
guzzy

let's remember this guys defensive ability. He has one point this season and is still a plus player. He won't be scored on. He isn't a liability. Look at the two big goals he scored against us in the playoffs last year with the Ducks. He has been playing PK very well and PP lately a bit to build up his confidence. If him, Amonte and Lundmark were to ever turn it on that could be a great third line.

guzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2006, 09:58 AM
fIREnIcE

Quote:

He is the ultimate team guy....and he is fast as hell, gritty, plays with an edge and is not going to get scored on...To put it the nicest way possible get into a the playoff hunt( arareal tight right race)/make the playoffs/go to game 7's JEFF IS THE MAN FOR YOU

I wish we still had him.....damn Malakhov

Last edited by fIREnIcE: 12-15-2006 at 10:06 AM.
fIREnIcE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2006, 11:53 AM
midg14*

Quote:
Originally Posted by fIREnIcE View Post
He is the ultimate team guy....and he is fast as hell, gritty, plays with an edge and is not going to get scored on...To put it the nicest way possible get into a the playoff hunt( arareal tight right race)/make the playoffs/go to game 7's JEFF IS THE MAN FOR YOU

I wish we still had him.....damn Malakhov
Yeah I agree. Jeff was my favorite player on the devils. He was very streaky, but helped us so much in the playoffs. He has not been the same since he left....

midg14* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2006, 04:04 PM
Roccoman

hey all, Caps fan here... was looking a Friesen's season (that rhymes) and was wondering if his numbers are an honest reflection of poor play, or if he is simply not producing but play OK otherwise...

i loved him in Jersey, he has not been the same player since he was traded

Roccoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2006, 04:10 PM
abracanada

Friesen has not been put in a position where he could break out in Calgary to tell you the truth. He plays behind Tanguay and Huselius, two LWs who have had very good seasons, and now, Moss, a rookie who has 3 goals in his first 3 games. Lots of competition on LW in Calgary. Overall, he has played ok. It is just that expectations were greater for him.

Old
12-29-2006, 05:22 PM
ramrod1

personally i think hes a free agent bust but his defense isnt bad so i think hes in the same boat as amonte

ramrod1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2006, 10:57 AM
Future_KLM_Pilot*

Quote:
It is just that expectations were greater for him.
Certainly you were expecting more than zero goals from him at the midway point of the season.

Old
01-07-2007, 12:34 PM
StreakingRed
**Rebuild Ahead**

When I first heard we signed Jeff Friesen, it put a smile on my face because I automatically thought back to his days in New Jersey. But he's been a real let down. That last Flames game against the Panthers was the best game he's played as a Flame yet. Hopefully it's just a slow start and he eventually finds his groove.

StreakingRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2007, 02:46 PM
abracanada

We should be finding out what Friesen's value is in the next little while. With the team down two key forwards, he needs to demonstrate the value of depth. For the record though, he only played 8 minutes last night, had three takeaways, no giveaways, and he was even +/-.

Old
01-07-2007, 05:21 PM
Lunatik*

Quote:
We should be finding out what Friesen's value is in the next little while. With the team down two key forwards, he needs to demonstrate the value of depth. For the record though, he only played 8 minutes last night, had three takeaways, no giveaways, and he was even +/-.
people like icbites cant see past the dollar figures... if a player doesnt live up to those dollar figures they are considered crappy players... if Friesen was being paid line a 4th liner (750k or less) we wouldnt be hearing this whining because Friesen does everything a 4th liner should do... he is quick, kills penalties, creates energy and chances as well as helping keep the team above water defensively