HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rangers make line-up changes for Coyotes game

Old
10-29-2006, 12:45 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tawnos View Post
How many times did I say this before the season and how many times am I going to have to say it during the season.

THERE IS NO 2ND or 3RD LINES ON THIS TEAM.

You have 5 guys in the middle of the Rangers' forward corps who get similar amounts of TOI/G. If Shanny wasn't on the Rangers top PP unit, it would be 6. Interchangeable parts.
sorry but tell me where that is a bad thing?

ask the buffalo Sabres if they care that their entire team is interchangeable.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2006, 03:30 PM
Ola

Quote:
How many times did I say this before the season and how many times am I going to have to say it during the season.

THERE IS NO 2ND or 3RD LINES ON THIS TEAM.

You have 5 guys in the middle of the Rangers' forward corps who get similar amounts of TOI/G. If Shanny wasn't on the Rangers top PP unit, it would be 6. Interchangeable parts.
Yeah, I can't for my life understand when some people go bonanza over one player beeing moved from our "2nd line" to our "3rd line"... Welcome to the new NHL. The time of teams having a Straka-Nylander-Jagr line as a 2nd line is a thing of the past.

Some teams will have a 1st line thats great, and then 3 decent lines. Many teams will have just 4 decent lines.

Ola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2006, 03:37 PM
True Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola View Post
Yeah, I can't for my life understand when some people go bonanza over one player beeing moved from our "2nd line" to our "3rd line"... Welcome to the new NHL.
Because 2nd lines still get more ES time than 3rd line. And 3rd lines still get more ice time than 4th lines. Like it or not, the ES time is directly related to what line a player plays on.

True Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2006, 03:41 PM
Anthony Mauro
DraftBuzz Hockey

Quote:
Yeah, I can't for my life understand when some people go bonanza over one player beeing moved from our "2nd line" to our "3rd line"... Welcome to the new NHL. The time of teams having a Straka-Nylander-Jagr line as a 2nd line is a thing of the past.

Some teams will have a 1st line thats great, and then 3 decent lines. Many teams will have just 4 decent lines.
I think its a problem because for one Betts doesn't have the slightest offensive capability and Cullen is better suited for a checking/defensive line. Shanahan has no help whatsoever. Having 3 capable lines as your 2-4 is one thing, this is another.

Anthony Mauro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2006, 03:49 PM
Thirty One
portnor, pls

vCash: 420
Quote:
Originally Posted by Il Ragazzone View Post
I think its a problem because for one Betts doesn't have the slightest offensive capability and Cullen is better suited for a checking/defensive line. Shanahan has no help whatsoever. Having 3 capable lines as your 2-4 is one thing, this is another.
let me guess, Shanahan needs Prucha on his line

Thirty One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2006, 03:59 PM
True Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by -31- View Post
let me guess, Shanahan needs Prucha on his line
I know that he certainly does not need Betts.

Old
10-29-2006, 06:04 PM
Diehardfan419

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterUnspoken View Post
To counter your points or to provide insights. Colton has been beaten down by McGratton, Jannsen, Peters, etc -- guys who are far better fighters and players than Colton and as a goon expert I'm sure you know this. Colton is not the answer for this team.

As for responding I stated serveral times in posts recently that this team has to grow to respond on its own through cohesiveness. Colton Orr like it or not will have little effect on this team until the entire lineup believes in themselves. Even Hollweg has refused to stick up for the most part. Last year he was always diving in. And you can't expect more physical play from players who despite their best efforts to throw checks will be largely ineffectual in that these players aren't aggressive types. To fully change the makeup of this team would be to trade/call up for these traits you seek.

And no Hossa should not be out out the lineup because he brings intangibles that are important to winning hockey games. While he is a borderline player at this point in time he brings more than Colton Orr. You used the +/- stat to show that Hossa is a -7 when that stat just shows that he was on the ice when the other team scored. Not that he was responsible for any goals personally. That stat is a pile of junk. I don't agree when you use it, I don't agree with SoS uses it to suck Roszivals ***.

I'm not an anti-physical poster but for this team to be physical they have a lot of bonding to do or roster retooling in the future.

I agree that Colton lost to Peters and Mcgratten (WHo, BTW, he smacked down on other occasions--the guy is allowed to loose a fight now and then), but Jansenns NEVER and I repeat NEVER has beaten Orr in a fight. Jansenns has been beaten up pretty bad in the fights they have had in the minors and he actually refuses to fight him in the NHL. They only fought for a breif moment in pre-season and Jansenns wanted no part of him. Please, if u dont like Orr thats fine..but dont blatantly make things up.

Diehardfan419 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2006, 06:04 PM
Tawnos
A guy with a bass

Quote:
Originally Posted by True Blue View Post
Because 2nd lines still get more ES time than 3rd line. And 3rd lines still get more ice time than 4th lines. Like it or not, the ES time is directly related to what line a player plays on.
Based on actual statistics, this seems to me to be a load of bull.

Why do Petr Prucha and Adam Hall have almost exactly the same TOI when they play on different ES lines most of the time? Matt Cullen and Blair Betts' TOI differs by 20 seconds. Different ES lines as well. None of these guys are in far different special teams situations from each other.

Tawnos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2006, 06:29 PM
True Blue

Quote:
Based on actual statistics, this seems to me to be a load of bull.
We did this exercise once already where you kept piling the names on, claiming that there is no difference between the 2nd or 3rd line. I believe that I showed you the disparity that exists for ES time between 2nd & 3rd line players.
Quote:
Why do Petr Prucha and Adam Hall have almost exactly the same TOI when they play on different ES lines most of the time?
Because for reasons known only to him, Renney limits Prucha's ice time.
Quote:
Matt Cullen and Blair Betts' TOI differs by 20 seconds.
And how much of that has to do with the increased time that Betts has recieved since his promotion to the 2nd line? Had Betts been below the 2nd line, Cullen's ES time would be greater.

Look around the league. 3rd liners typically do not play as much at ES as 2nd liners. 2nd liners typically do not play the same ES time as top-liners.

Old
10-29-2006, 07:07 PM
MisterUnspoken
Vintage

Send a message via AIM to MisterUnspoken
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diehardfan419 View Post
I agree that Colton lost to Peters and Mcgratten (WHo, BTW, he smacked down on other occasions--the guy is allowed to loose a fight now and then), but Jansenns NEVER and I repeat NEVER has beaten Orr in a fight. Jansenns has been beaten up pretty bad in the fights they have had in the minors and he actually refuses to fight him in the NHL. They only fought for a breif moment in pre-season and Jansenns wanted no part of him. Please, if u dont like Orr thats fine..but dont blatantly make things up.
You're right. CJ has never beat him down...

.... but you fail to note that I don't care. Ryan Hollweg does what Colton does and more, so the point of Colton being on this team is nil.

MisterUnspoken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2006, 07:30 PM
Fletch

I think...

there are six or seven forwards who get more than 10 minutes of ES ice time and then the next tranche gets 2 minutes less. That's an average, and in each game it's different. If the Rangers are down a goal late, Renney will go with his top two lines as much as possible. I think there are clear #1 and 2 lines that are separate from the third and fourth (to suggest that Shanny doesn't get more ice time at ES than the 'third' nad 'fourth' lines doesn't make a heck of a lot of sense). Last season, at times, this team often didn't have a real second line - and that's because it often didn't stand out. With Shanny, there is a second line.

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2006, 08:39 PM
True Blue Bleed Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterUnspoken View Post
You're right. CJ has never beat him down...

.... but you fail to note that I don't care. Ryan Hollweg does what Colton does and more, so the point of Colton being on this team is nil.
No...Ryan Hollweg is not a guy you want protecting your team. Trust me, he cannot hurt anybody and he won't intimidate most guys. You need someone who will put some type of fear in the other team and who will be able to tangle with the oppositon's heavyweights. Again, Orr isn't great at it, but for no reason should you think that Hollweg is all of a sudden the answer. Orr lost to Peters and McGrattan, 2 of the best, Hollweg lost to Boynton, given he has won some scraps this year, he is not a guy who is up there with elite fighters. Right now we are still missing the enforcer we need, Hollweg is a great hitter and checking forward, but not the type of enforcer we need.

True Blue Bleed Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2006, 09:26 PM
MisterUnspoken
Vintage

Send a message via AIM to MisterUnspoken
Quote:
Originally Posted by True Blue Bleed Blue View Post
No...Ryan Hollweg is not a guy you want protecting your team. Trust me, he cannot hurt anybody and he won't intimidate most guys. You need someone who will put some type of fear in the other team and who will be able to tangle with the oppositon's heavyweights. Again, Orr isn't great at it, but for no reason should you think that Hollweg is all of a sudden the answer. Orr lost to Peters and McGrattan, 2 of the best, Hollweg lost to Boynton, given he has won some scraps this year, he is not a guy who is up there with elite fighters. Right now we are still missing the enforcer we need, Hollweg is a great hitter and checking forward, but not the type of enforcer we need.
A) So we have to hurt people to be effective physically? I hope that's not what you mean. Further Colton Orr doesn't scare anyone. I think Hollweg puts a bit more fear into our opponents than he does. I'm sure you don't feel that way though.
B) Where did I say Hollweg is the answer? All I said was that Orr isn't the answer. Problem is we don't have enough Hollweg type players on this team. We are in agreement there, but clearly don't agree on the enforcer issue.
C) Why do we need an enforcer? Laraque was on the ice for Phoenix and I didn't see him enforce much of anything in a blowout -- a smaller more character guy in Boynton took care of that.

And this ice time debate is nuts. I'm not even sure what the point of it really is. Is it to point out a flaw with Renney or a flaw with this teams lack of defineable 2nd and 3rd line talent?

MisterUnspoken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2006, 10:10 PM
DutchShamrock

Quote:
Why do Petr Prucha and Adam Hall have almost exactly the same TOI when they play on different ES lines most of the time? Matt Cullen and Blair Betts' TOI differs by 20 seconds. Different ES lines as well. None of these guys are in far different special teams situations from each other.
That is essentially the problem with the lineup. Hall should not play as much as Prucha. Betts should not have as much time as Cullen. Or do you want a guy with 3 assists in a season on the 2nd line while a guy with 30 goals in a season is on the 3rd line? Or scratch that. We'll put it in your terms. Do you want Blair Betts getting the same ice time or more than Petr Prucha? Or Cullen? Or Hossa playing in more games than Dawes?

DutchShamrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2006, 10:16 PM
Tawnos
A guy with a bass

Quote:
We did this exercise once already where you kept piling the names on, claiming that there is no difference between the 2nd or 3rd line. I believe that I showed you the disparity that exists for ES time between 2nd & 3rd line players.

Because for reasons known only to him, Renney limits Prucha's ice time.

And how much of that has to do with the increased time that Betts has recieved since his promotion to the 2nd line? Had Betts been below the 2nd line, Cullen's ES time would be greater.

Look around the league. 3rd liners typically do not play as much at ES as 2nd liners. 2nd liners typically do not play the same ES time as top-liners.
I'm sorry, but who really gives a damn about "typically"? When we were talking in theory, before the season started... typically is fine. But since the season has started? Whatever you want to say, but I've seen Betts close to as much as I've seen Cullen on the ice, no matter what number line they were playing with. That's just flat out the way it is. You can give me all the theory you want of what you think should be the 3rd line and who should go there, but at the end of the day... I see Betts on the ice nearly as much as I see Cullen. I see Prucha on the ice similar to how much I see Hall on the ice. Interchangable "2nd" and "3rd" lines? Looks that way to me.

Old
10-29-2006, 10:17 PM
Tawnos
A guy with a bass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
there are six or seven forwards who get more than 10 minutes of ES ice time and then the next tranche gets 2 minutes less. That's an average, and in each game it's different. If the Rangers are down a goal late, Renney will go with his top two lines as much as possible. I think there are clear #1 and 2 lines that are separate from the third and fourth (to suggest that Shanny doesn't get more ice time at ES than the 'third' nad 'fourth' lines doesn't make a heck of a lot of sense). Last season, at times, this team often didn't have a real second line - and that's because it often didn't stand out. With Shanny, there is a second line.
Is there? I certainly haven't seen one. Shanahan's stats at even strength are exactly the same as Matt Cullen's are.

Old
10-29-2006, 10:21 PM
Tawnos
A guy with a bass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugerya View Post
We'll put it in your terms. Do you want Blair Betts getting the same ice time or more than Petr Prucha? Or Cullen?
Except I don't see moving those guys to the "3rd line" on this team as meaning they get less ice time.

Old
10-29-2006, 10:25 PM
Diehardfan419

Quote:
Originally Posted by True Blue Bleed Blue View Post
TBBB- I usually agree with alot of your opinions on fighting and the need for an enforcer. But we have one. Orr IS that guy. The problem is. like anyone else who is jerked in and out of the lineup, he needs to play each game. HE did lose to Mgratton and Peters, but he has beaten Mgratten before. Im not sure about Peters. Orr is on his way to being one of the top 5 enforcers in the game. The problem is, if Renney doesnt let him do it here, he will do it for some other team. We dont have to go out and get someone else for the job. We have him. I have followed the guys career alot in the minors. Trust me. He has KNOCKED out Boogard. And I consider Boogard the top heavy in the game rigfht now. But, unlike Orr, Boogard was given a chance by the Minny staff. And Orr is just as decent a skater as Booger is.

Diehardfan419 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2006, 10:29 PM
DutchShamrock

Quote:
Except I don't see moving those guys to the "3rd line" on this team as meaning they get less ice time.
They can put Jagr on the 4th line, but he better get 20 minutes. The problem isn't the what number line each guy is on, the problem is that guys like Betts are playing as much or more than Prucha and with more talented players. You are saying yourself that you see Betts out there as much as Cullen. That is the problem, not Betts being on the second line. So, yes, you are right. Being on the 3rd line means you will get as much ice time as the 2nd. But that is stupid. Your better guys should be on the higher lines and they should have more ice time.

DutchShamrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2006, 06:18 AM
Ola

Quote:
Originally Posted by Il Ragazzone View Post
In the NHL today, a line that don't work both ways, gets killed. Thats why there are 10 goal games all over the scoreboard.

So from a team point of view, its defenitly better to have 4 avg lines, then 2 great and 2 that don't work.

Scoring aint a problem for us, or practically any other team in the league, remember that 2-3 goals forward used to win you a hockey game.

Renney's move of putting Betts on Shanahan lines have paid of defensivly, and thats what it all about for us. Compare that win with the gain of having Prucha on a 2nd line, 5 on 5, and its atleast easy for me to understand how Renney is thinking.

Besides, in terms of ice time, a 2nd line gets about 15-20% more then the 3rd line. It aint the end of the world. Prucha would in a ideal world contribute the most with a playmaking center, but the days where teams had a Straka-Nylander-Jagr line as a 2nd line is long gone with the cap. Prucha must find a away to play well without a world class player feeding him pucks, cause thats how it will be in future for him.

Old
10-30-2006, 07:58 AM
True Blue

Quote:
I'm sorry, but who really gives a damn about "typically"? When we were talking in theory, before the season started... typically is fine. But since the season has started? Whatever you want to say, but I've seen Betts close to as much as I've seen Cullen on the ice, no matter what number line they were playing with. That's just flat out the way it is. You can give me all the theory you want of what you think should be the 3rd line and who should go there, but at the end of the day... I see Betts on the ice nearly as much as I see Cullen. I see Prucha on the ice similar to how much I see Hall on the ice. Interchangable "2nd" and "3rd" lines? Looks that way to me.
1. Is Betts getting as much time as Cullen or Hall as much as Prucha really the proper thing?
2. Betts started to recieve more ice time when he was undully promoted to the 2nd line. Hall gets as much ice time as Prucha becuase Renney limits Prucha's ice time.

Nothing interchangeable. You may have an abundance of forwards who are not really 2nd line players, so you see more of them distributed on the 2nd & 3rd line. However, if your theory was correct, why isn't Shanny on the 3rd line? Cullen, for better or worse, is a 2nd liner on this team. The only other legit second liner is Prucha and Renney loves to bury him on the bottom 2 lines. Betts belongs on a 2nd line about as much as I do.

Old
10-30-2006, 08:15 AM
Ola

Quote:
1. Is Betts getting as much time as Cullen or Hall as much as Prucha really the proper thing?
Offensive ice time, PP time + ES time, Prucha gets 13 min and Betts 10. Cullen ges 13.4. Thats 30% more.

Don't tell me you think Tom Renney should play Adam Hall more then Blair Betts, with our current center status?

I think we should be extremely glad to have Renney behind the bench at this point. I defenitly think we would be in a bigger hole without him.

Look at how he have handled the Ozolinsh situation. Allot of coaches would have used him allot more right away, Tom where diciplines and didn't use him on the PP, making sure that Sandis got the message that defense had to come first, and its starting to pay off.

We are now in a position where we are getting a little bit better each game. And we are a 500' team with a really struggling goalie, with a really struggling defense, and a Jagr that can't really shot. Thats strong.

This is a big test for Renney, and so far he have passed it with a A+.

Old
10-30-2006, 08:59 AM
True Blue

Quote:
Offensive ice time, PP time + ES time, Prucha gets 13 min and Betts 10. Cullen ges 13.4. Thats 30% more.
The whole point comes down to ES time. 2nd liners have more ES time than 3d or 4th liners.
Quote:
Don't tell me you think Tom Renney should play Adam Hall more then Blair Betts, with our current center status?
What does this have to do with anything? Betts is not a better player than Hall. Betts belongs on the 4th line, not on the 2nd. So if Hall was to be on the 3rd line and Betts on the 4th, than Hall should have more ES time.
Quote:
I think we should be extremely glad to have Renney behind the bench at this point. I defenitly think we would be in a bigger hole without him.
I disagree. Renney has not shown characteristics that are the signs of a very strong coach.
Quote:
Look at how he have handled the Ozolinsh situation. Allot of coaches would have used him allot more right away, Tom where diciplines and didn't use him on the PP, making sure that Sandis got the message that defense had to come first, and its starting to pay off.
That is hardly an example of stellar coaching. Considering the fact that the team should have never entered a year in which 1-7 defensemen are essentially making $2m, I have no idea of what Ozolinsh enchances. He is just another 3rd pairing defenseman on a team with many of that type. Look at how poorly he is handling other situations. Look at Dawes and Prucha. Look at the completely nonsensical line combinations. Renney is not exactly inspiring confidence.
Quote:
We are now in a position where we are getting a little bit better each game.
Have you seen the games preceeding the one against the worst team in the league?
Quote:
And we are a 500' team with a really struggling goalie, with a really struggling defense, and a Jagr that can't really shot. Thats strong.
What's strong? How about adjusting the gameplan beyond X's & O's? How about learning how to utilize the last line change on home ice to put your better players into a more advantageous situation?
Quote:
This is a big test for Renney, and so far he have passed it with a A+.
Excuse me? Pray tell how?

Old
10-30-2006, 09:41 AM
Tawnos
A guy with a bass

I would like for someone to point out to me when the "sensical" line combinations have worked this season...

Old
10-30-2006, 09:49 AM
bathgate

I am disappointed in Renney. Last year he received a passing grade by incorporating many new players though the Europeans Knew what to expect out of the gate. He did not ,still does not, understand in game strategy. The statement that he only worries about his team is just plain dumb, We might as well play the Devs at the Meadowlands eight times a year so I won't scream about the last change. His benching of Dawes and Prucha's lack of pp time is downright dis heartening. His playing of Malik and Rozie defies belief. Why develop kids if they're not incorporated into the lineup? Renney receives a failing grade from me

bathgate is offline   Reply With Quote