HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Latendresse (merged)

Old
10-28-2006, 04:55 PM
Montreal Typical

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Syn View Post
Latendresse has 9 freaking games in the NHL, playing around 7 minutes per game with a checking line, and considering he doesn't have a point yet he a bust?
Who says the guy is a bust? There is a BIG difference between saying a player is a bust and saying he is not ready to play in the NHL.

Is Latendresse a bust? No.

Is Latendresse ready to play in the NHL? No.

Latendresse should be following the junior-AHL route. He's obviously not ready for the NHL.

Last edited by Montreal Typical: 10-28-2006 at 05:02 PM.
Montreal Typical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2006, 05:01 PM
waffledave
waffledave, from hf

Quote:
My point is that Bernier had the chance to be in a non pressure environment. He had enough time to adapt himself in the NHL to then explode in a very interesting player. Latendresse has 9 freaking games in the NHL, playing around 7 minutes per game with a checking line, and considering he doesn't have a point yet he a bust? In which ****in world are you living in? Give him time, he's there to learn... just like Perezhogin last year....
Nobody said he was a bust. He will one day be a productive player. The argument is that he's been put in a role he's not ready for...One which could seriously hamper his development.

Higgins was 22 when he made his rookie debut. He put up excellent numbers for a rookie, and is one of the top players on the team at 23.

Higgins took the normal course a prospect should take, including 2 years in the AHL.

He was ready for the NHL and proved it. He was able to come in and make an immediate impact. He has no weaknesses in his game that aren't due to his natural skillset. His development was perfect, he suffered no setbacks.

Latendresse is not ready. It will take him a while before he can make as much as of impact as Higgins. The question is, will Latendresse be able to handle the setbacks he will face in his first year or 2 in the NHL, or will his game suffer?

Sure we'd all be happy if he could put up lots of numbers like Thornton was eventually able to do...Although will we be happy if he can't perform in the playoffs?

Sure we'd all be happy if he could put up decent numbers like Lecavalier was eventually able to do...Although will we be happy if he can't be consistent?

Thornton and Lecavalier, as good as they are, suffered because they we rushed into the NHL. Lecavalier especially...He could be so much better than he is right now. How he hasn't scored 100 pts confuses me.

I cling to the hope that maybe one day, he'll come to Montreal and the change in scenery will somehow get him to finally reach his potential, although I'm skeptical.

waffledave
waffledave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2006, 05:40 PM
Empireshark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinc View Post
I disagree. Latendresse is here to stay. Vincent Lecavalier played a whole year on the fourth line during his first year in Tampa. I guess he turned out ok...
Radek Bonk also started his NHL career as an 18 year old, does that mean that he still has a chance to become as good as Lecavalier or J. Thornton? I could play this game all day. Just because one player, who was drafted extremely high, makes it big in the NHL doesn't mean that Latendresse who was passed over by every team including Montreal at least once is going to be the next Flying Frenchmen.

Empireshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2006, 05:46 PM
Empireshark

Quote:
My point is that Bernier had the chance to be in a non pressure environment. He had enough time to adapt himself in the NHL to then explode in a very interesting player. Latendresse has 9 freaking games in the NHL, playing around 7 minutes per game with a checking line, and considering he doesn't have a point yet he a bust? In which ****in world are you living in? Give him time, he's there to learn... just like Perezhogin last year....
Just like Perezhogin? I wasn't aware of the time that Latendresse spent in the RSL and the AHL. I apologize profusely, obviously the organization has allowed Latendresse to develop properly and now I can sleep through the night without worrying about Montreal ruining a good prospect because of the medias need to fast track him. Ridiculous post. Latendresses' situation is completely different than Berniers and Perezhogin. Pick another name out of the hat and give it another try buddy.

Empireshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2006, 05:48 PM
Teufelsdreck

Latendresse ism't a bust. However, he seems to be in over his head. Compared to a full term infant, he's a preemie. Maybe he'll catch up in a season or so.

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2006, 06:49 PM
Garo

Quote:
Originally Posted by waffledave View Post
Bouchard was ruined man. The kid could have been so much better, alot earlier too.
Wait, Bouchard is 22, over a point per game, and was ruined? Man, if only the Habs wanted to ruin their own prospects like that, they'll easily be one of the best teams in the NHL.

Garo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2006, 07:43 PM
Habsfan18
Global Moderator
The Future

I'm going to piss alot of you guys off by saying this...but in the new NHL, a guy like Latendresse looks so out of place. Him and Antropov are the slowest players on the ice tonight. Right now, the only thing that Lats is good for is hitting. Hopefully he is our future power forward, but hopefully one that can score too. You need speed in the new NHL and the guy seriously needs work on his skating. I know i'm jumping the gun, as the kid is only 19..but if he wants to be an effective player/scorer in the NHL, he must learn how to skate. I've seen kids playing Junior B who can probably skate circles around Lats.

Habsfan18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2006, 07:46 PM
Habsfan18
Global Moderator
The Future

Waffledave put it best..he looks like ****ing Dagenais out there.

Habsfan18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2006, 09:34 PM
LeMAD

Lots of lats-bashing tonight. Of course he's not ready for the nhl, I've been saying that since the start of the training camp. But why all those insults in the GDT, the guy worked hard but he just doesn't belong in this league yet. Don't blame him, blame the organisation...

LeMAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2006, 10:20 PM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Ted View Post
How many habs prospects walk right on to the roster before there even done jr? Not very many.
I don't see what past Habs prospects have to do with it. Unless you're saying that it should always be a policy that no junior aged players should ever play for us, no matter what?
Quote:
Latendresse was no huge standout last season in the Q he was good but he was no Radulov. And the WJC well everyone knows how that went.
And again, I don't see what last season in the Q or the WJC have to do with it. (Although statistically he had a fine season in the Q, and just making the WJC team is an achievement in itself). Look up Radulov's 18-year old season in the Q. Nothing too special there, eh, Latendresse's season kicked his butt. And Bergeron hardly had a standout season in the Q before walking into training camp and showing he was ready. Etc, etc. Anyway, as other posters have already said, you can play games with picking all kinds of other player examples for or against, and none of it means a thing because Latendresse simply came into camp and won a spot.

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2006, 10:24 PM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

Quote:
Originally Posted by HabsInsider View Post
One question : is it too late to send him back to the Q or asfter playing 9 games its already too late?
Well, he could be sent back any time. But now that he has played 10 games the first year is officially clocked on his entry level contract, so it's much less likely that the Habs would bother to send him back now. It looks like Carbo spoke true back at the end of camp.

(Hopefully they will still consider releasing him for the WJC, however).

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2006, 10:30 PM
WeThreeKings

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Anyone else notice when he gets the puck anywhere near the opposition net, he turns and puts his back to the goalie? And his only shot attempts are spin around shots?

WeThreeKings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2006, 10:59 PM
Teufelsdreck

The good signs from Lats aren't enough. The Grand Experiment of starting him on the second line or even the third line should be shelved indefinitely. As the Toronto game demonstrated, he's not competitive with Samsonov or Perezhogin right now. Their superior puck handling, skating, and smarts trump anything he can do at this point in his career. However, I wouldn't put him in the closet and forget about him. I'd start him on the fourth line regularly but from time to time I'd spot him on the second or third line or second PP unit, especially when the Habs are winning or losing by more than one goal or when one of the other wings is tired or injured. Of course there is no doubt that he has to work hard on his skating and to receive extra coaching.

Old
10-28-2006, 11:08 PM
AlexeiKovalev27

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeMAD View Post
Lots of lats-bashing tonight. Of course he's not ready for the nhl, I've been saying that since the start of the training camp. But why all those insults in the GDT, the guy worked hard but he just doesn't belong in this league yet. Don't blame him, blame the organisation...
Ditto. Not bashing Lats, but I never really loved him and since last year I smelled that tenderness wouldn't repeat and score 20+ goals even though he owned in the Jrs.

Some people really thought he'd be the savior and score lots of goals. I mean meh I hope the guy @ ckac is biting his nails now...

At least cannot hide I am happy he hits more. But iiiiii sloowwpoke!

AlexeiKovalev27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2006, 12:41 AM
coolguy21415
HFBoards Sponsor

I'm probably in the minority, but I thought Lats played an improved game tonight. His forechecking was fantastic, he was timing hits better, and what he really needs to work on is puck control down low. It seemed that he was losing the puck too easily. He obviously didn't play as well as Perezhogin, but I liked him paired with Johnson and Bonk, his forecheck game compliments that line very well.

coolguy21415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2006, 07:16 AM
Mr. Hab

LATENDRESSE (even I've been hard on him ...I can't deny it, but...).

Let him learn this year. That's it, that's all.
Expect more (or lots more!) in 2 years (or within).

p.s.: I also hope he takes power-skating lessons, it can't hurt, and not 2-3 lessons only like slacker Ribs!!

Mr. Hab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2006, 11:13 AM
Goldthorpe
Meditating Guru

Latendresse made a few plays tonight that confirmed to me that he has is place in the club. The talent and the willingness is there, but right now his problems are the rookie mistakes, and knowing when to try something and when to play it safe instead. Normaly players iron that in the AHL but it won't be possible for him, so I have no problem cringing at his sometimes weak plays on the fourth line until he adapt to the big league.

Goldthorpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2006, 05:46 PM
Slick Nick

15+27+42 = 84

Slick Nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2006, 09:15 PM
Toro

Quote:
Originally Posted by habs911 View Post
Look tonight is Latendresse 10th game so after tonight he can't be send down...get over it!
and he can still play in the WJC. Carbo and Gainey may lend him.

I think he will learn the ropes and what is needed to excel at this level best here at this level. It worked well for many other players. Seems to be the way of doing things for this franchise, when they target a player for a particular role on the team. Why change 24 cups and another around the corner.

Toro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2006, 09:28 PM
Teufelsdreck

Quote:
Exactly. I don't hold it against him for not living up to the exuberant expectations of the fans or even for having made Carbonneau's gamble look bad so far. Eventually he'll learn from experience.

Old
10-30-2006, 10:35 AM
oop007*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oshawa General View Post
Here's an idea. I agree with Carbonneau that sending Latendresse back to Drummondville would not benefit him, but if the Canadiens could somehow convince Patrick Roy to acquire Latendresse in a trade, bringing him to the Quebec Ramparts, this could benefit him.
Roy would keep him focused for the whole season, and teach him a thing or two about being consistent and dominant at the junior level, plus the challenge of defending the Memorial Cup, and he also could play in the World Juniors in December.
Judging by his performance the first nine games, he does not look ready for the NHL yet, and playing in Quebec City under Roy may be one of the better options for him.
No point now that Lat has played a bunch of games in the NHL and seems to be improving his overall playability.

oop007* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2006, 10:44 AM
Teufelsdreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by oop007 View Post
No point now that Lat has played a bunch of games in the NHL and seems to be improving his overall playability.
By how much? He's increased his hitting, but you'd have to look through a microscope to find signs of a future offensive star. However, since he's only 19, I'm willing to give him time to catch up with Garth Murray or Aaron Downey in that department.

Old
10-30-2006, 11:35 AM
RC51

I believe as Koivu does that lats is too strong for the Q.
Again he had a good camp. HE COUND NOT go to the AHL.
So what is your choice????
can he learn more back in the Q or can he learn more rubbing elbows with the NHL?? Thats the choice.

Carbo and Muller can coach him to success over the course of the year. Learning things he WOULD NOT have learned in the Q.

The pay off only starts when Latendresse HAS learned and starts to impose his game. Send him back down and you are assured that he is gone for 1 year and then starts his NHL learning. If he stays with the Habs he just might get his game going for the playoffs.

It's us that is wrong, our expectations. We all wish he would be ready right now and he is NOT. For the first time in recent memory the Habs have opted to bring a good prospect on early and have him learn as he goes along.
I disagree with a lot of you, the Habs could have a 22 man roster but Lats is there at 23rd. I find it most interesting game in and game out to see Lats every game instead of seeing him only on replays for the Q. It gives me a much better idea of what the prospects MUST learn and go through to get to the NHL.
BUT we all have to stop the " what has he done for me lately"
Expect him to make just about every rookie mistake and watch as Carbo and Muller handle him and teach him. See him slowly "GET" what he is tought and slowly get better. Timing,position,chemistry,work,vision and defence awareness.
Keep Begin as his ghost father so the kid does not get into trouble off the ice.
SO far the kid works hard, keeps his nose clean, listens to all the advice and is trying to impliment it. To ask more of him this early is ALL OUR FAULT.

Expect Kovy and Samsonov to produce more? YES 3.5 mil and 4mil and tons of NHL years YOU BET.

As long as Lats is learning and keeping his nose clean, for me he get a free pass until at least the playoffs and thats 70 games away. YEP A FREE PASS PEOPLE!
What I want in the end is a lagit HAB POWER FORWARD at say 22-23. Thats Carbo's game plan, at least i believe so

RC51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2006, 11:39 AM
oop007*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Empireshark View Post
Radek Bonk also started his NHL career as an 18 year old, does that mean that he still has a chance to become as good as Lecavalier or J. Thornton? I could play this game all day. Just because one player, who was drafted extremely high, makes it big in the NHL doesn't mean that Latendresse who was passed over by every team including Montreal at least once is going to be the next Flying Frenchmen.
That's what nobody seems to realize. Kostitsyn was a #1 Draft pick picked 2 years ago 10th overall.

Lat was a 2nd pick, wakeup people.

Old
10-30-2006, 11:41 AM
oop007*

Quote:
Don't blame him, Don't blame the organization. Blame the situation.