HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

GDT: Rangers @ Coyotes: 10:00PM EST (MSG, AZ-TV)

Old
10-29-2006, 07:18 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

vCash: 500
Awards:
Very solid game (although the Yotes strike me as team in complete chaos).

- Loved seeing Shanahan sticking up for Jags at the end of the second.

- Like it or not, Straka-Nylander-Jagr really can't be broken up.

- What a game by Matt Cullen. The goal was nice, his back checking was even better.

- Aaron Ward, welcome to the Rangers.

- The third line showed that good things can happen if you get guys in front and throw the puck at the net.

- I like Hall. I think he can really address a need on this team. But can we please send him to Jason Ward's skating coach?

- This west coast trip could just the thing to bring this team together. That said, it only gets harder from here.

10-29-2006, 07:48 AM
abev
HFBoards Sponsor

I think the West plays an entirely different game. Ya I know - its Phoenix. But watching the West Conf games sometimes is like watching a tennis match with the furious back and forth.

Could it be that guys like Cullen and A Ward, who played a "western conference" style last year with CAR, and Hall (Nash), feel more comfortable with the speed?

Maybe this style of play, where the Rangers are forced to speed things up, could open up some new perspective for this team.

10-29-2006, 08:58 AM
Fletch

That about sums is up, Singin'...

I can't get too excited. Against a decent time, they lose, especially come the third period in which the 'Yotes outplayed the Rangers. The Rangers scored 7 goals against a bad team and a goalie making his second start. It's a great way to start a road trip, but again, I can't get too excited.

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2006, 09:44 AM
abev
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
I can't get too excited. Against a decent time, they lose, especially come the third period in which the 'Yotes outplayed the Rangers. The Rangers scored 7 goals against a bad team and a goalie making his second start. It's a great way to start a road trip, but again, I can't get too excited.
The Coyotes dominated the Oilers from start to finish on Thursday (6-2), with the same goalie making his FIRST start. So where does that leave Edmonton?

The Coyotes were trying to turn the corner and beat up on a team [much?] better than the Rangers.

abev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2006, 09:50 AM
ap215

That's the way to do it. That's the broadway blueshirts i wanna see.

ap215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2006, 09:51 AM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedblue94 View Post
completely agree with you

and as a side note ive always loved boynton and wouldnt mind him coming to NYR when the yotes break their team apart
-5 last night.

And everyones favorite Derek Morris was -3.

Theres a reason why these guys dont stick with teams, they are so overrated.

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2006, 09:58 AM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Prescription View Post
How was the hit from behind? He tagged him on the shoulder and Scatch went face into the boards.
You guys are such homers, shouldnt comment about penalties during the game, its almost always 'are the refs crazy!!!?'

Hollwegs hit Scatchard and didn't let up even when his back was turned, they'll call that a penalty 10 times out of 10. I don't know about the extra 2 minutes though.

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2006, 10:13 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

The Rangers are 5-5 after 10 games.10 points.Last season after 10 games,the Rangers were 4-3-3.11 points after 10 games

Monday night is another game the Rangers should win.No excuses.The Kings aren't as screwed up as the Coyotes but they are close

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2006, 10:14 AM
Fletch

Phx..

came into the game 3-8. Every dog has his day. They played well for a game. The Rangers of 1997-2004 played well on occasion against good teams too. I think it takes more than a couple wins to turn the corner when you're 3 and 8. They played poorly. They didn't look like a good team.

Old
10-29-2006, 10:18 AM
True Blue

Great (almost) win but tough to get overly excited about a win against a team that will be in the hunt for the top overall pick. Best games of the year (by FAR) for Jagr, Cullen & A. Ward. Cullen was all over the ice, blowing by people with his speed. And forget about Ward stepping up on the play, what made him noticeable was his physical play. Actually, though the announcers did not talk much about it, I thought that this was the most physical the Rangers have been all year. Everyone finished checks and Kasper & Ward had some punishing hits into the boards.

On the negative side (there is always that), immediately preceding Hall's rush up ice in the first period, Ozolinsh had a bad ,bad give away right in front of the Rangers blue line. Had Hall not recovered the puck, the 'Yotes were in for an easy odd-man rush. I thought that Nylander and Ozolinsh were also in great shooting positions from the low slot, but (no surprise) both overpassed the puck and no shot on goal occured.
Rozsival and Malik were the worst defensemen in the win. After starting the year poorly, Rozsival righted the ship for a few games, but over the last handfull he cannot stop but give away the puck.

True Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2006, 11:00 AM
Fletch

I missed some of the third...

but thought Ozo played pretty well. But as I noted, it's a shame the Rangers are paying someone $2.75MM to go against third pairs and play limited PP time. That's the position you give kids and career AHLers.

Old
10-29-2006, 11:06 AM
Fletch

One thing to note...

is the penalties. Lazy defensemen panalties - Kaspar with a hold and a trip, Malik with a hook and Toots with a hook (Hollweg had the other penalties).

Old
10-29-2006, 11:28 AM
Finest
Puck Fittsburg

While I agree that this game was a decisive win over a relativly bad team. I have to think/hope that the Rangers coaching staff isnt letting them get their ego;s too big and remind them that it gets harder from here. Its a good stepping stone, and showed what hard work can get you, but they need to play smart each and every shift, thats something they havent been doing this season especially after they score a goal. How many times did they go up 1-0 and then 30-45 secondss later get scored on, they have to keep playing tight in order to make this road trip productive. I have faith that they can do it, I honestly think they can beat all the teams they are going to play in the next 3 games. Its just a matter of having a plan and executing it.

Finest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2006, 12:01 PM
FLYLine24
The Mac Truck

Tyutin and Ward were a +3 each on the night and have looked about as solid as it gets...can we keep them together now? Nobody else on defense was even a +.

One more thing..Jagr looked AMAZING out there. He looked pretty much fully healed in every way. He was shooting, stick handling, and just about doing everything right (cept the giveaway but we shall ignore that for now). And he leads the NHL in points again with 18.

FLYLine24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2006, 01:47 PM
ECL
If it weren’t for me

Send a message via AIM to ECL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13 View Post
You guys are such homers, shouldnt comment about penalties during the game, its almost always 'are the refs crazy!!!?'

Hollwegs hit Scatchard and didn't let up even when his back was turned, they'll call that a penalty 10 times out of 10. I don't know about the extra 2 minutes though.
Please. That's not even a penalty in youth hockey.

That's not a penalty. At all.

ECL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2006, 01:49 PM
True Blue Bleed Blue

Quote:

Well in the new NHL where you're not supposed to hit, it is a penalty. Gotta cut down on the hitting in order to make the game less intense and exciting, you know that

True Blue Bleed Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2006, 03:26 PM
Ola

Quote:
Ozo, while used sparingly, has looked great so far.
At this point, one is defenitly the reason for the other. Great move by Renney beeing diciplined not using Ozolinsh to much. Allot of coaches would have put Ozo on the PP, taking his ice time up to 20 minutes, thats would have been a recipe for disaster. During this turmoil, I feel very comfortable with Tom behind the bench, with another coach, we could have been in a much bigger hole...

Ola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2006, 03:38 PM
Anthony Mauro
DraftBuzz Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13 View Post

I think so too. I mean it doesn't help when you follow through with your hands and sort of smash his head a bit on top of that all.

FACEBOOK
TWITTER
Anthony Mauro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2006, 11:01 PM
BDubinskyNYR17*

Send a message via AIM to BDubinskyNYR17*
Quote:

if u think that is bad, anyone watch the Devils and Jackets game last night. Dan LaCouture had a small shove as he was going to the bench, they called it boarding, the rangers are not only getting screwed???

BDubinskyNYR17* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2006, 11:43 PM
Edge
Kris King's Ghost

Not much seemed different even in the win.

The Rangers once again prove they can score but the defense once again looks shakey and like last season this team still has a tendency to give up late goals.

Edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2006, 03:00 PM
cityhockeyfever

I didn't see the game live as I was in the city for the evening involved in other activities instead of watching
the game at let's say one of my favorite sports bar/restaurants when not home. So I taped the game
and reviewed it yesterday.

Okay, about Saturday night's game... I had read reports it was supposed to be a sellout at Jobing.com Arena,
but it ended up with a shade over 14,000 (some being Rangers fans). However, from what I saw,
it appeared to be 2,000 to 3,000 less fans actually in the seats.

It is a real shame how things are going in Phoenix right now. At least the passionate Coyotes fans
that have stayed away have sent the team a message. They won't spend their hard-earned money on a product
that grossly underachieves like this group has so far. It reminds me of the Rangers prior to last season
where year after year they look great on paper, but fail miserably to perform to expectations. As a result of
seven straight non-playoff seasons, the Rangers were the laughingstock of the NHL (highest payroll,
lowest performance).

The Rangers have once again been underachieving from the start of this season and should've been leading
the Atlantic Division already. Obviously, they're not getting it done (yet).

I know you guys have talked about the game at length, so forgive me for my generality in my statements.
Anyway, after the Rangers took the lead against Phoenix, Henrik Lundqvist didn't see much work.
He played well from what he had to do, but it was a relatively easy night for him. The Rangers got a few
big breaks on their goals and the Coyotes' first goal by Matt Jones was a gift, but overall it came down
to who executed and who didn't. To me, I saw the Coyotes lose all their confidence and it showed
in the inability to handle the puck and generate any offensive chances. David LeNeveu played great
at the start and didn't seem to fall apart as some young goalies may. That's a good sign for Phoenix.

While it was solid win for New York, without question it can be debated on whether it was just the Rangers
dominating or a completely horrendous performance on the part of the Coyotes. Either way, history could
repeat itself where they won the first time they visited the Coyotes' new arena on December 29, 2003
and then won the next night in Los Angeles. Could it happen tonight? We'll see. Los Angeles actually has
a worse record than Phoenix at 3-10 (including overtime/shootout losses).

cityhockeyfever is offline   Reply With Quote