Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Patrick O'Sullivan

Old
10-28-2006, 01:10 PM
RightKinger

vCash: 500
Patrick O'Sullivan

I have a few questions for you guys that saw O'Sullivan play in the AHL last season. I would really appreciate it if you guys could help me out.
After reading this thread I wanted to ask you guys about O'Sullivan and all the points he racked up. He likes to shoot a lot but it doesn't look like he has that great of a shot.

A few questions -

Were most of his goals last season of the tap in variety or were they mostly well placed shots to beat the goalies?

Was Patrick the leader in terms of being the go to guy on offense?

Was he the one that was mostly creating the offense or was he just the one that finished most of the plays?

Do you think he will suceed in the NHL after seeing him play last season? What is his potential?

RightKinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2006, 02:38 PM
Surly Furious

vCash: 528
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftKinger View Post
I have a few questions for you guys that saw O'Sullivan play in the AHL last season. I would really appreciate it if you guys could help me out.
After reading this thread I wanted to ask you guys about O'Sullivan and all the points he racked up. He likes to shoot a lot but it doesn't look like he has that great of a shot.

A few questions -

Were most of his goals last season of the tap in variety or were they mostly well placed shots to beat the goalies?

Was Patrick the leader in terms of being the go to guy on offense?

Was he the one that was mostly creating the offense or was he just the one that finished most of the plays?

Do you think he will suceed in the NHL after seeing him play last season? What is his potential?
From what I've read, he has a great wrist shot - don't know about the slapper.

Surly Furious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2006, 05:13 PM
ceber

Fantastic wrist/snap shot. Fast, hard. Probably close to his slap shot, really. Give him time, he'll start putting in goals.

ceber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2006, 06:35 PM
WILDTATE10

vCash: 50
He wasnt Houstons go to guy. That was Westrum or Law. I had heard that he has a very good wrist and snap shot but not the greatest slap shot.

WILDTATE10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2006, 01:15 AM
bcimright

Patrick has a great shot, and no he doesn't usually take a lot of shots. He HAS been recently but the shots he is making are also setting up his other teammates for the rebound. When Patrick is in his flow and he scores, he makes it look so easy it's like time stops for you when you watch it and you're left with the... did that just happen... feeling.

He doesn't play the sort of game that you might be used to seeing in other forwards. It's odd but one of Patrick's main talents is disappearing on the ice so that when he gets that pass or steals the puck the other team is left wondering where he came from and while they're wondering, Patrick is off with a scoring chance. He has spent most of his career at center and he has the ability to think fast on his feet and create plays, he sets up his linemates with sweet passes but sometimes they can't always keep up with his thinking or read him well enough to know what he is doing [he's not that easy of a player to communicate with so it's not entirely the fault of the linemates, i'm not blaming them].

I have been keeping up with him this year. He is making progress, he always starts out slow, getting acclimated, and as the year progresses, gets better and better. And he WAS getting better [i am sure you watched him game to game and can see how much he's been learning, he's even become more physical] . Yes, I have always thought patrick could make it in the NHL, I think he'll be very successful at it, but he's got to wrap his head around it. He's got great potential, and I guess all I can say is that patience is a virtue where patrick is concerned. I wish I could guarantee that you won't be disappointed, but I can't tell the future and nothing is for certain but I would bet my pride and respectability [tho some people might argue i've got none of those two] that he'll turn out to be rockin' awesome. I would say that you've seen about 10% only, if that, of what Patrick can do. Although right now it might feel like this [trust me i know, cause i'm feeling that too].

bcimright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2006, 11:49 AM
DWP

I saw O'Sullivan play almost all the Aeros home games last year and listened to many of the road games.

My take on O'Sullivan is widely known on this board. I have not seen him play with the Kings excepting the game in LA against the Wild. So my observations are a bit dated.

With Houston last year and to answer your questions:
1. He does have a great wrist shot and is extremely accurate. He didn't hang around in front of the net much to pick up many trash goals.
2. He didn't play on the first line much. He did get a good deal of PP time. I really didn't see him as the go to guy but bcimright explains that he sort of lurked in the background trying to take advantage of turnovers and defensive breakdowns.
3. He did create opportunities and he did finish alot of plays. O'Sullivan is a gifted offensive player. There is no doubt about that. But he has some troubling weaknesses IMHO which I'll address answering your fourth question.
4. There is no doubt that he has the offensive instincts and skills to be a very productive NHL scorer. But, and this is a huge but, he does not want to play both ends of the ice. He likes to cherry pick on the penalty kill looking for breakaway opportunities to the point that he is a defensive liability. The same thing goes for even strength situations. He tends to stay back hoping for odd man opportunities to emerge. He will not try to knock his opponent off the puck. He will not go hard into the boards for loose pucks. He will avoid being hit at the cost of giving the puck up. He would rather finese the puck away from an opponent rather than due the tough things needed to outwork his opponent for puck possesions. He does not fight for position. He likes to float around hoping to sneak up behind the defense. Basically, he is a soft player who has that unique ability to put points up. So will he be succesful at the NHJL level? I really think he will be given the chance to succeed mostly because of his offensive abilities. He needs to develop some intensity. He needs to add some grit to his game. If he does this, I think he could be a star. If he doesn't, he will quickly become a casualty because the rest of the league will quickly figure him out.

DWP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2006, 06:47 PM
RightKinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWP View Post
I saw O'Sullivan play almost all the Aeros home games last year and listened to many of the road games.

My take on O'Sullivan is widely known on this board. I have not seen him play with the Kings excepting the game in LA against the Wild. So my observations are a bit dated.

With Houston last year and to answer your questions:
1. He does have a great wrist shot and is extremely accurate. He didn't hang around in front of the net much to pick up many trash goals.
2. He didn't play on the first line much. He did get a good deal of PP time. I really didn't see him as the go to guy but bcimright explains that he sort of lurked in the background trying to take advantage of turnovers and defensive breakdowns.
3. He did create opportunities and he did finish alot of plays. O'Sullivan is a gifted offensive player. There is no doubt about that. But he has some troubling weaknesses IMHO which I'll address answering your fourth question.
4. There is no doubt that he has the offensive instincts and skills to be a very productive NHL scorer. But, and this is a huge but, he does not want to play both ends of the ice. He likes to cherry pick on the penalty kill looking for breakaway opportunities to the point that he is a defensive liability. The same thing goes for even strength situations. He tends to stay back hoping for odd man opportunities to emerge. He will not try to knock his opponent off the puck. He will not go hard into the boards for loose pucks. He will avoid being hit at the cost of giving the puck up. He would rather finese the puck away from an opponent rather than due the tough things needed to outwork his opponent for puck possesions. He does not fight for position. He likes to float around hoping to sneak up behind the defense. Basically, he is a soft player who has that unique ability to put points up. So will he be succesful at the NHJL level? I really think he will be given the chance to succeed mostly because of his offensive abilities. He needs to develop some intensity. He needs to add some grit to his game. If he does this, I think he could be a star. If he doesn't, he will quickly become a casualty because the rest of the league will quickly figure him out.
He has been benched twice already this season. I think they have him working on his defense and work ethic. He needs to add muscle and work on his skating a little bit. If there is a coach that can turn him into a complete NHL player, I think it's Marc Crawford. He doesn't seem too flashy either.

RightKinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2006, 12:04 PM
ceber

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftKinger View Post
If there is a coach that can turn him into a complete NHL player, I think it's Marc Crawford. He doesn't seem too flashy either.
I think it's Jacques Lemaire. It's time for a deal.

ceber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2006, 02:13 PM
SniperMogilny2K6*

I love O'Sulivans game. I perdict that he'll be a top 5 LW in the NHL in a few seasons

SniperMogilny2K6* is offline   Reply With Quote